Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghidzilla
May 12, 2009
I love me some good tag team wrestling. Underrated. Don't you?

Discuss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

I like tag teams that have a cool name like "Demolition" or "the Dudes with Attitude". It pisses me off that Edge & Christian never came up with a good tag team name.

_________ & _________ teams are uncreative and should be ashamed of themselves.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I'm gonna whoop your rear end, op.

Ghidzilla
May 12, 2009
Hey I'm trying here.

Vaguido
Feb 22, 2011

When the drug test comes back positive for performance enhancing drugs.
SAY YEAH

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

Vaguido posted:

SAY YEAH

:yeah:

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???
My favorite part of Tag Team Wrestling is when they break up and fight each other.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Tag wrestling can be good but it can also be really bad. I think it might not get the respect it deserves as a division because so often it gets complete greenhorns thrown in because that way they can only gently caress up half a match each and that is a shame.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I like both tag team wrestling and Tag Team the rap group.

Whoomp there it is.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
american males

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

It's hard to go wrong with a RnR versus the midnite express match

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Some people pretend not to like it, but I will always love.... THE HOT TAG!

Which is why it irritates me that American Alpha aren't wrestling more in order to set up Jordan getting.... THE HOT TAG!

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Tag Team Wrestling was a pretty bad NES game. I always lost to the Strong Bads.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Jerusalem posted:

Which is why it irritates me that American Alpha aren't wrestling more in order to set up Jordan getting.... THE HOT TAG!

I always liked that time they did CM Punk and the Boogeyman vs. Miz and John Morrison and Boogeyman got thrown into the steps, so Punk basically hot tagged himself and got a second wind.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Grant DaNasty posted:

I like tag teams that have a cool name like "Demolition" or "the Dudes with Attitude". It pisses me off that Edge & Christian never came up with a good tag team name.

:agreed: Names are good. I'm also the special kind of retard who really loves portmanteaus of the names of the wrestlers, like Jeri-Show, RybAxel and Shomiz.

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
Vicious & Delicious is my favorite tag team

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I love the creative names, hate the uncreative portmanteaus.

I can live with a "______ & _______" if its purpose is to subtly show that its two individuals less than 1 team. That's part of what I love about tag wrestling. Its this open door to storytelling between the two wrestlers. Wrestler A and B team up and they're refereed to "A & B". If they tag together long enough to become a team and develop a shared identity than they come up with a team name. If they never do then its a subtle way to keep it as them being more individuals working together than a true team.

All kinds of subtle storytelling like that which is never done in WWE. A seasoned, veteran tag team beating two great individual wrestlers because the team is greater than the sum of its parts. A tag wrestler pursing a singles career with his partner has his backup and friend. And yes, the occasional partner becoming jealous or arrogant and turning on the other instead of it being just the default way to push a guy from a tag team as a singles guy.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

STAC Goat posted:

I can live with a "______ & _______" if its purpose is to subtly show that its two individuals less than 1 team. That's part of what I love about tag wrestling. Its this open door to storytelling between the two wrestlers. Wrestler A and B team up and they're refereed to "A & B". If they tag together long enough to become a team and develop a shared identity than they come up with a team name. If they never do then its a subtle way to keep it as them being more individuals working together than a true team.

All kinds of subtle storytelling like that which is never done in WWE. A seasoned, veteran tag team beating two great individual wrestlers because the team is greater than the sum of its parts. A tag wrestler pursing a singles career with his partner has his backup and friend. And yes, the occasional partner becoming jealous or arrogant and turning on the other instead of it being just the default way to push a guy from a tag team as a singles guy.
A good analysis. Well Dunn!

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

STAC Goat posted:

That's a very good way of putting it. I, too, hate when a team that has been teaming for a while is still just referred to as "___ & ___" because it's just plain loving lazy. I sometimes wonder if it was the successful run that Edge & Christian had-- who were unquestionably a TEAM for the longest time and not just two individuals-- that led to the laziness in team names.

But they did a good subtle build-up of individuals gelling into a team down in NXT, with Jordan & Gable. It made sense at first that they didn't have a team name, because Jordan was annoyed by Gable, until he saw how good Gable was in the ring. They started winning matches, and gelling further as a team, and then they dubbed themselves "American Alpha" to cement their team identity.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Edge & Christian should've kept The Brood name. It didn't really fit them later, but they could've turned it into something else.

Ghidzilla
May 12, 2009
I'm reminded of that period of time in WCW when they would put random upper midcarders in tag team matches on Nitro and Thunder just to kill time and they would end up having the best matches of the night - like I think Jericho and Guerrero were a team against Mysterio and someone else, if I'm remembering correctly. Would love to watch those again and see if they held up.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Grant DaNasty posted:

I agree with you, but I also think that Edge & Christian are the exception that proves the rule. also, I remember them more as "E&C", which is a kinda sorta different name isn't it? (No it probably isn't)

On Tag Team wrestling, I like teh little things that you see in proper tag matches: Guys holding on to the little tag rope when trying to tag in. Heels arguing with the ref whilst their partner beats up teh babyface behind his back, hot tags etc.

I also like when tad teams are forced to fight each other. Not the 'tag team that hates each other' cliche, but more along the lines of when Demolition were 1 and 2 in the Royal Rumble that year, or when Booker T and Stevie Ray faced off in one of teh World War 3s, (if I remember rightly, they looked at each other, shrugged and turned away to keep fighting other people).

And on the guilty pleasure front, I actually really liked The Killer Bees version of 'twin magic', (where they would go under teh ring and both come out wearing masks), when I was a kid.

Vaguido
Feb 22, 2011

When the drug test comes back positive for performance enhancing drugs.

Jerusalem posted:

American Alpha did a dark match when they were in Toledo the other week, and Gable was the hot tag for some reason. It was weird, but cool.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Power and Glory were a dang fun team. Amazing considering one of them was Paul Roma

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

DeathChicken posted:

Power and Glory were a dang fun team. Amazing considering one of them was Paul Roma

After Legion of Doom got through with them, they were SOUR and GORY.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
So for the LU folks, there's a lovely team called the Rabbit Tribe. Their trios matches feature something I never thought of - exclusively double tags. So one guy tags the others, and they all come in for offense. It's a neat little twist of tag wrestling that I appreciate.

Ghidzilla
May 12, 2009

DeathChicken posted:

Roma shined in tag team wrestling, I remember. In singles, not so much.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

BrigadierSensible posted:

On Tag Team wrestling, I like teh little things that you see in proper tag matches: Guys holding on to the little tag rope when trying to tag in. Heels arguing with the ref whilst their partner beats up teh babyface behind his back, hot tags etc.

I also like when tad teams are forced to fight each other. Not the 'tag team that hates each other' cliche, but more along the lines of when Demolition were 1 and 2 in the Royal Rumble that year, or when Booker T and Stevie Ray faced off in one of teh World War 3s, (if I remember rightly, they looked at each other, shrugged and turned away to keep fighting other people).
Eddy Guerrero's antics with the hot tag were some of the best comedy in wrestling--like, stuff that's funny but makes perfect sense in terms of just being logical tactics.

Team Hell No at the 2013 Royal Rumble was likewise perfect.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Smackdown got credit for doing more with their mostly bad tag division compared to Raw with their charisma powerhouses in The New Day and Enzo and Cass, their Big Gets from Japan in The Magic Killers, and two of the WWE's legitimately most talented wrestlers in Sheamus and Cesaro.

Then for a few months Smackdown did absolutely nothing with their mostly bad tag division so they shouldn't get credit for that anymore.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

BrigadierSensible posted:

There's also that time when WWE did that America vs. foreigners (and Lucha Dragons) tag match and at one point, it's Cesaro in the ring against Jack Swagger. Rather than fight it out, they do a "WE THE PEOPLE!" salute and tag out. :unsmith:

The thread reminds me of a neat thing from one of the Street Fighter games. They had an Andre pastiche named Hugo whose storyline was that he was looking for the perfect tag team partner. Rather than have one final boss or ending, there were four possible outcomes. Each one had he and his partner enter a tag tournament with a different team name: Soul Brothers (with Ryu), Ragnarok Warriors (with Gill), Beauty and the Beast (with Elena) and Thunderbolt (with Necro).

Then in the next game the story was about Hugo starting his own nWo and Ryu thought it was the coolest poo poo ever.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

American Alpha should become American Males 2.0, complete with the theme.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Gavok posted:

Then in the next game the story was about Hugo starting his own nWo and Ryu thought it was the coolest poo poo ever.

What the gently caress Ryu? You're supposed to be the hero! Stop embracing the Dark Hadou!

Ghidzilla
May 12, 2009

Gavok posted:

There's also that time when WWE did that America vs. foreigners (and Lucha Dragons) tag match and at one point, it's Cesaro in the ring against Jack Swagger. Rather than fight it out, they do a "WE THE PEOPLE!" salute and tag out. :unsmith:

The thread reminds me of a neat thing from one of the Street Fighter games. They had an Andre pastiche named Hugo whose storyline was that he was looking for the perfect tag team partner. Rather than have one final boss or ending, there were four possible outcomes. Each one had he and his partner enter a tag tournament with a different team name: Soul Brothers (with Ryu), Ragnarok Warriors (with Gill), Beauty and the Beast (with Elena) and Thunderbolt (with Necro).

Heh. Little things like that can make a tag match that much more interesting, even moreso than in a singles match imo.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Tag team wrestling is the best. It's the only reason to bother with NXT right now except that #DIY is the worst name for a tag team ever and I would prefer them to be called Gargano & Ciampa than that. Heavy Machinery are my current favourite tag team for their one performance in the Dusty Classic and I am incredibly hyped for them to become everyone's favourite in 2017.

Son of Man
Jan 29, 2003

by Azathoth
my favorite tag team would have to be....

Harlem Heat

yes yes yes yes

no no no no

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Gavok posted:

I always liked that time they did CM Punk and the Boogeyman vs. Miz and John Morrison and Boogeyman got thrown into the steps, so Punk basically hot tagged himself and got a second wind.

I'm gonna need video evidence of this

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
I love how many more storytelling options there are in tag team wrestling. Somebody from Chikara I think, possibly Quackenbush, made the comparison to having more wrestlers being like having more possible colours in a painting, which is fairly apt.

I remember a really great HBK/Diesel vs. Razor/123 Kid match from back in 94. At one point Diesel holds Razor for a superkick but Razor slips out of the way and Shawn blasts Diesel (#2 of 3 errant kicks that caused Diesel to turn on Shawn). I remember the crowd going nuts at that point because the story immediately changed to "can Razor and Kid press the advantage, put away Shawn and win the tag belts before Diesel recovers?"

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

Tag Team wrestling is super cool and it bums me out that the tag divisions in both WWE and NJPW are booked like trash despite awesome tag teams in both. One of the worst things that happens is when the tag champs job to a team of the Heavyweight champ and maybe the Number 1 Contender. That's some bullshit. Like I vaguely remember some match in the late 80s or something where Hogan(?) and another guy got demolished by LoD because LoD were the tag champs and therefore a WAY more cohesive unit.

That's what I want. Tag Teams running roughshod through their shows and being just as important or at least as equal as the solo champs. Maybe not top of the card, but not midcard jobbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Son of Man posted:

my favorite tag team would have to be....

Harlem Heat

yes yes yes yes

no no no no

If you disagree with this you are a fruit booty, sucka

I loving love Harlem heat's music

• Locked thread