Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Gonna have to throw my opinion in here, and that opinion is that tag wrestling loving rocks. Trios matches, survivor series, all of that poo poo. One of my favourite eras of tag wrasslin was about 5/6 years ago on the Indy circuit when you had the Kings of Wrestling, The Young Bucks, The Briscoes, Steen & Generico, Cole & O'Rielly, a bunch of nerds from Chikara and I'm sure a ton of dudes I'm forgetting. Just off the top of my head PWG had Cole/O'Rielly vs. Super Smash Bros vs. Young Bucks in one of the craziest loving ladder matches I've ever seen. That's a highlight for sure. Also the time Super Dragon came back and teamed with Steen against the Bucks in Guerilla Warfare, holy gently caress I love that match.

In the years since my attention to Indy stuff has dropped off completely, which means the only tag matches I've been watching are the typical WWE formula stuff. Can somebody pretty please recommend me some good poo poo I've missed out on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BodyMassageMachine posted:

Tag Team wrestling is super cool and it bums me out that the tag divisions in both WWE and NJPW are booked like trash despite awesome tag teams in both. One of the worst things that happens is when the tag champs job to a team of the Heavyweight champ and maybe the Number 1 Contender. That's some bullshit. Like I vaguely remember some match in the late 80s or something where Hogan(?) and another guy got demolished by LoD because LoD were the tag champs and therefore a WAY more cohesive unit. .

Did this actually happen? I'm having a hard time imagining Hogan jobbing to even LoD in the late 80s

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Sandman McMahon posted:

Gonna have to throw my opinion in here, and that opinion is that tag wrestling loving rocks. Trios matches, survivor series, all of that poo poo. One of my favourite eras of tag wrasslin was about 5/6 years ago on the Indy circuit when you had the Kings of Wrestling, The Young Bucks, The Briscoes, Steen & Generico, Cole & O'Rielly, a bunch of nerds from Chikara and I'm sure a ton of dudes I'm forgetting. Just off the top of my head PWG had Cole/O'Rielly vs. Super Smash Bros vs. Young Bucks in one of the craziest loving ladder matches I've ever seen. That's a highlight for sure. Also the time Super Dragon came back and teamed with Steen against the Bucks in Guerilla Warfare, holy gently caress I love that match.

In the years since my attention to Indy stuff has dropped off completely, which means the only tag matches I've been watching are the typical WWE formula stuff. Can somebody pretty please recommend me some good poo poo I've missed out on?

PROGRESS in the U.K. has had some phenomenal tag team matches over the past couple of years. Here are a few off the top of my head.

Sumerian Death Squad vs The Hunter Brothers (PROGRESS Ch 20)
Sumerian Death Squad vs Roderick Strong and Adam Cole (PROGRESS Ch 21)
The London Riots vs War Machine (PROGRESS Ch 33)
Ring Kampf vs The South Pacific Power Trip (PROGRESS Ch 43)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Aesop Poprock posted:

Did this actually happen? I'm having a hard time imagining Hogan jobbing to even LoD in the late 80s
Only time I can find that it happened was at the Tokyo Dome show where Hogan teamed with Tenryu.

Ghidzilla
May 12, 2009
I'm just glad to see the Rock and Roll express finally get their due via going into the Hall of Fame, even if the whole thing is in Vince McMahon's mind. I remember meeting them when I was a kid and they couldn't have been nicer. Hopefully the Midnights get in next year.

DeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

mild mannered meatspin historian
I always thought the thing with "_____ & _____" is that the best tag teams have a story behind them, and they can be the best if it's a dedicated, long term story. Sheamus and Cesaro have a dumb lead up to the team with the best of 7 series being hilarious tie, but the way they've built the story of them becoming in sync is pretty great too. I do however, prefer a "&" name if the alternative is mashing two of the names together like they're a celebrity power couple.

However, some dedicated, "we have a team name," teams are not great because the stories behind them are too high concept without enough real foundation of how the team came together. The Wyatts and Sanity are prime examples of, "show, don't tell," stables/teams because we never saw them come together, and instead just got them together at once without a guiding, wrestling based ethos. The Shield had issues with this, too, but the mega push and talent they had really covered up some of those holes in the premise.

Also, tag teams with clear style differences are important too, and it's why the trinity of the Hardyz/Edge and Christian/The Dudleys worked so well in the 90's beyond just the hardcore spots: three sets of (at least kayfabe) brothers who were a rock paper scissors of high flyers/cheaters/tanks. Distinct, cohesive styles helped too, and it's why I find myself always feeling a little tired of NJPW's constant trios and tag matches that are just buckshot fired a board of names to see who's teaming.

Though, since I have major gaps in my wrestling knowledge, I wish I knew more about old school tag team wrestling, so if anyone has suggestions on the network or anywhere else, that'd be awesome too.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

This is sort of tag-team related, but I always liked the Hart Foundation a lot more than I liked Bret Hart.

I know he had great matches etc. and so on, and that he had an awesome singles career, but I liked him better as the cocky pretty boy technical wrestler paired with the crazy brawler.

The tag team hid Bret's weaknesses, and highlighted his strengths.

Ghidzilla
May 12, 2009
Agreed. Bret was sorely underrated as a tag wrestler.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Tag team wrestling is not only good because it is simply good, it's good because it's a safer place for wrestlers to experiment with new personality quirks, wrestling styles and character directions. If you're on your own you're going to sink or swim with very little buffer for failure; in a good team your partner amplifies what works and covers for what doesn't. We wouldn't have HBK, Big Poppa Pump or Indecent Big E if they'd been on their own the whole time.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Jenkem Delivery posted:

If you disagree with this you are a fruit booty, sucka

I loving love Harlem heat's music

It's probably the best example of stock music that became synonymous with a wrestler.

It was also used in a Kids in the Hall sketch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

BrigadierSensible posted:

This is sort of tag-team related, but I always liked the Hart Foundation a lot more than I liked Bret Hart.

I know he had great matches etc. and so on, and that he had an awesome singles career, but I liked him better as the cocky pretty boy technical wrestler paired with the crazy brawler.

The tag team hid Bret's weaknesses, and highlighted his strengths.

The Hart Foundation really was the quintessential team of two completely different characters and styles that meshed really well together.

• Locked thread