Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

icantfindaname posted:

why does britain care so much about russia? isn't theresa may one of the dreaded Right-Wing Populists herself? are you guys just really mad they're bidding up housing prices in london? or maybe the liberal internationalist warhawk impulse is so strong even something as trifling as a far-right government can't touch it?
Shut your loving face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

HJB posted:

The PMQs Zinger of the Week™: May about Corbyn - "He can lead a protest, I'm leading a country."

Doesn't even bother with the loving pretense of being a servant of the public trust.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

minema posted:

CatheterChat: They do come in different sizes, mostly the same size is used but occasionally it won't drain quickly enough or it'll get blocked so the size is changed. They can't go too small or the tube gets too clogged up with sediment in the urine.

I'll need an extra large one :smug:

Because you see ive got a huge knob :smuggo:

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

I miss the happy days of pigfucker cameron and coked-out titperving gideon

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I wish i was dead already!!

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

How about you cheer up us - and yourself - by transcribing a really long old rear end letter?
That would cheer me up but i'm not at work now. And that's a real shame because I've got some fascinating front line letters from the Boer War just now

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

JFairfax posted:

Nationalists' meeting raided by balaclava gang 'dressed like special forces' with guns

A gathering of 'far right nationalists' in a village social centre was raided by suspected anti-fascists who allegedly fired air guns, threw chairs and swung fire extinguishers.

Terrified onlookers were forced to barricade themselves inside as the balaclava-clad gang, dressed like a 'special forces unit', smashed the windows of Almondsbury Sports and Social Centre and attacked members of the meeting.

Three people were left injured after the raid against the group, said to be called the 'Bristol Forum', which one person said was formed of nationalists.

"By the way [the attackers] acted they gave the impression they'd done this sort of thing before and their silence, dress and general 'professionalism' added to the sense of menace'," said Mr Romilly, who lives in Plymouth but attended the meeting with a friend.

He said the meeting was made up of people who 'discriminate in favour of [their] own people'.

Mr Romilly described how the chaos unfolded at about 3pm on Saturday, January 7, one hour after the meeting started.

"I was asking one of the speakers a question, then there was a sound like a rifle shot and the first window glass splintered, shards of glass scattering over the place where the speaker had been sitting moments before," he said.

"This was followed by a series of sharp cracks as a succession of windows were broken by a fire extinguisher and by chairs brought up from a lower floor.

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/villag...tail/story.html
Bristol antifa are tasty as hell. That insane Dover demo this time last year, they were all in the thick of the fighting the entire time. :getin:

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Christ there are some twats posting in here these days.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I thought the green belt was a product of the utopian ideas of amateur urban planners like Ebenezer Howard and his bullshit ""garden cities of tomorrow"" ideas, which definitely had an effect on house prices (because cities can't expand outside the limits imposed by the greenbelt) and the dormitory-suburb phenomenon, which leads to a vast increase in commuter behaviour, which has knock-on effects on pollution, worker income, etc, etc, etc...
Cover the lot of it in poured concrete and delicious low-cost, high quality housing.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

JFairfax posted:

Kennedy was assassinated by a lone wolf

I think you'll find that a was an unwilling agent of the Illuminati/NWO co-opted into being an assassin by the CIA's MKULTRA programme.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Spangly A posted:

was it MKULTRA where the CIA briefly dosed elephants with acid to get an idea on physical tolerance?

That was where they briefly dosed homeless people, drug addicts, prostitutes, students, and their own staff unwillingly and unwittingly just for funsies, resulting in deaths and substantial psychological trauma.

Well, they were experimenting with mind control and tevhniques for making people more/less reliable/resistant under questioning, as well as trying to figure out chemical compounds for causing permanent and temporary amnesia.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
There's a really good Private Eye special report on the history of the revolving door between the Government and Civil Service, and the private sector here.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

It's funny how switching to palm oil would have appeased most of those groups, when palm oil production kills far more animals than the half a cow needed for the entire UK banknote supply.

They should introduce a poly £1 note next, and enter into full competition with the Mint's new lovely coin.

Unrelated, what is this poo poo?

Giant flags and general appeals to 'traditionalism' make me immediately think bad things. Is this their brave new "Labour should be about our idealized conception of the traditional working Englishman, and not all this hippy 'queers and Asians have rights' stuff" pitch?

Blue Labour is Tory Labour.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Namtab posted:

I know this is the ukmt, but I think there's a middleground between "loves their flag/country" and "actually hitler"

patriotism is a disease

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Paxman posted:

You shouldn't put your life or your family's life ahead of the lives of other people.

beep boop

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

JFairfax posted:

well blair was most popular and also the biggest war criminal soooooo???

British public wrong about almost everything etc

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

:monocle:

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Its all academic since monster much are obvectively and empirically shite imvho

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Space raiders, wheat crunchies, scampi fries. These are the crisps of the proletariat.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

spectralent posted:

"It may not be the greatest risk or highest profile short term risk confronting earth, but if you make an assessment of what insurance premium it is worth paying in order to reduce impact, you would come up with a figure of several hundred million euros a year – which the world should be spending to reduce this risk."

We're not about to be hit by an asteroid.

I'm astonished that the Daily Star, a bastion of sober and respectable journalism, would exaggerate a story like this. :v:

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

ThomasPaine posted:

My girlfriend is involved with a small communist group thing. They're apparently under no illusion about how little clout they have but really they just seem to like reading and chatting to each other. Anyway they still try to get out there occasionally to have a small presence by organising talks and protests and whstnot. But by christ do they hate the SWP, who apparently barge in on everything and try to take credit for the moderately successful things while ruining everything else. Apparently they actually have a bunch of money and resources and people to do this, which surprises me because I always assumed it's membership was in the double figures at best. I wonder where it comes from?

I was never an SWP member but I think I remember a former member (who left in the exodus after the Comrade Delta rape scandal) saying they used to get a bunch of cash from the unions. I'm not 100% on that, but there it is.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

JFairfax posted:

thats just the sort of thing a member would say!!
Man, I was a Communist Party member for about a year and that was bad enough. But they were just bureaucratic and incompetent pub-dwellers. No rapists (that I encountered), thankfully.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

I feel for his poor, floorpizza-eating wife.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
This isn't really relative to any discussion going on just now, but one of Malatesta's letters keeps doing laps in the back of my mind, and I wanted to share it with the thread because it's interesting:

quote:

There are the “worker-minded” people, who consider having callous hands as being divinely imbued with all merits and all virtues; they protest if you dare talking about people and mankind, failing to swear on the sacred name of proletariat.

Now, it is a truth that history has made the proletariat the main instrument of the next social change, and that those fighting for the establishment of a society where all human beings are free and endowed with all the means to exercise their freedom, must rely mainly on the proletariat.

As today the hoarding of natural resources and capital created by the work of past and present generations is the main cause of the subjection of the masses and of all social wrongs, it is natural for those who have nothing, and therefore are more directly and clearly interested in sharing the means of production, to be the main agents of the necessary expropriation. This is why we address our propaganda more particularly to the proletarians, whose conditions of life, on the other hand, make it often impossible for them to rise and conceive a superior ideal. However, this is no reason for turning the poor into a fetish just because he is poor; neither it is a reason for encouraging him to believe that he is intrinsically superior, and that a condition surely not coming from his merit or his will gives him the right to do wrong to the others as the others did wrong to him. The tyranny of callous hands (which in practice is still the tyranny of few who no longer have callous hands, even if they had once), would not be less tough and wicked, and would not bear less lasting evils than the tyranny of gloved hands. Perhaps it would be less enlightened and more brutal: that is all.

Poverty would not be the horrible thing it is, if it did not produce moral brutishness as well as material harm and physical degradation, when prolonged from generation to generation. The poor have different faults than those produced in the privileged classes by wealth and power, but not better ones.

If the bourgeoisie produces the likes of Giolitti and Graziani and all the long succession of mankind’s torturers, from the great conquerors to the avid and bloodsucking petty bosses, it also produces the likes of Cafiero, Reclus and Kropotkine, and the many people that in any epoch sacrificed their class privileges to an ideal. If the proletariat gave and gives so many heroes and martyrs of the cause of human redemption, it also gives off the white guards, the slaughterers, the traitors of their own brothers, without which the bourgeois tyranny could not last a single day.

How can hatred be raised to a principle of justice, to an enlightened spirit of demand, when it is clear that evil is everywhere, and it depends upon causes that go beyond individual will and responsibility?

Let there be as much class struggle as one wishes, if by class struggle one means the struggle of the exploited against the exploiters for the abolition of exploitation. That struggle is a way of moral and material elevation, and it is the main revolutionary force that can be relied on.

Let there be no hatred, though, because love and justice cannot arise from hatred. Hatred brings about revenge, desire to be over the enemy, need to consolidate one’s superiority. Hatred can only be the foundation of new governments, if one wins, but it cannot be the foundation of anarchy.

Unfortunately, it is easy to understand the hatred of so many wretches whose bodies and sentiments are tormented and rent by society: however, as soon as the hell in which they live is lit up by an ideal, hatred disappears and a burning desire of fighting for the good of all takes over.

For this reason true haters cannot be found among our comrades, although there are many rhetoricians of hatred. They are like the poet, who is a good and peaceful father, but he sings of hatred, because this gives him the opportunity of composing good verses ... or perhaps bad ones. They talk about hatred, but their hatred is made of love.

For this reason I love them, even if they call me names.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

christ, I'm due to move in with my girlfriend at some point this year and we're going to have stay in London for at least two years until her eldest has finished his GSCEs and we're both already terrified about how we're going to cover the rent

quote:

It being plain that as a poor young man with a family I could rent no houses at all in this most undesirable region, I next looked for rooms, unfurnished rooms, in which I could store my wife and babies and chattels. There were not many, but I found them, usually in the singular, for one appears to be considered sufficient for a poor man's family in which to cook and eat and sleep. When I asked for two rooms, the sublettees looked at me very much in the manner, I imagine, that a certain personage looked at Oliver Twist when he asked for more.

Not only was one room deemed sufficient for a poor man and his family, but I learned that many families, occupying single rooms, had so much space to spare as to be able to take in a lodger or two. When such rooms can be rented for from 75 cents to $1.50 per week, it is a fair conclusion that a lodger with references should obtain floor space for, say from 15 to 25 cents. He may even be able to board with the sublettees for a few shillings more. This, however, I failed to inquire into--a reprehensible error on my part, considering that I was working on the basis of a hypothetical family.

Not only did the houses I investigated have no bath-tubs, but I learned that there were no bath-tubs in all the thousands of houses I had seen. Under the circumstances, with my wife and babies and a couple of lodgers suffering from the too-great spaciousness of one room, taking a bath in a tin wash basin would be an unfeasible undertaking. But, it seems, the compensation comes in with the saving of soap, so all's well, and God's still in heaven. Besides, so beautiful is the adjustment of all things in this world, here in East London it rains nearly every day, and, willy-nilly, our baths would be on tap upon the street.

True, the sanitation of the places I visited was wretched. From the imperfect sewage and drainage, defective traps, poor ventilation, dampness, and general foulness, I might expect my wife and babies speedily to be attacked by diphtheria, croup, typhoid, erysipelas, blood poisoning, bronchitis, pneumonia, consumption, and various kindred disorders. Certainly the death-rate would be exceedingly high. But observe again the beauty of the adjustment. The most rational act for a poor man in East London with a large family is to get rid of it; the conditions in East London are such that they will get rid of the large family for him. Of course, there is the chance that he may perish in the process. Adjustment is not so apparent in this event; but it is there, somewhere, I am sure. And when discovered it will prove to be a very beautiful and subtle adjustment, or else the whole scheme goes awry and something is wrong.

Luckily some things never change, and you should have no difficulty cramming your family into one room with a few other tenants! :v:

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Spangly A posted:

Down and Out is a fantastic book for the ol' hope, in that it demonstrates a racist confronting some of their views and evolving as a person. Even if he does constantly lie about being a toff.
There's one particular sentence that makes me crease up whenever I read it, and it's the bit where he's working in some dingy Parisian cafe with a little old lady who he thinks the world of, but the stress, long hours and filth of the dingy kitchen leads to him flipping out and calling that little old woman a loving whore because she kept moving his bin.

Homage to Catalonia is the cat's pyjamas as well.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Also i quote it and mention it constantly itt but Jack London's People of the Abyss is the prototype for Down and Out, and is worth everybody's time.

And if you're bothering with Homage to Catalonia you'll want to try "As I Walked Out one Midsummer Morning" if only for the taste or scent of revolutionary Spain.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

spectralent posted:

Then there's even less reason to be worried about the mixing of the races unless you're a racist? :psyduck:

:ssh: he is

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

I mean strictly giving you kid the name Mohammed is probably not a very good idea in the UK either but maybe we shouldn't make suggestions like that?

mate did you know that 5 out of 10 babies in the uk are called mohammed, its a loving disgrace is what it is, and i dont understand how statistics work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Carecat posted:

I'm imagining a Uber/Periscope combo app where you get paid to go to follow people around and stream video.

Snow Crash is a bad book

• Locked thread