Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Fans posted:

I'd want them too, but I imagine it'd be political suicide to oppose it. There's a reason Cameron didn't go "Hah no psyke" after he lost the referendum.

It's hard to treat Direct Democracy as an optional suggestion without people coming to the conclusion that the entire system is corrupt.

The government did say "hah no psyche" when it came to Boaty McBoatface though. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

UKIP have actually filed a formal complete with the (unelected :supaburn:) President of the European Parliament (who acts as speaker).

Special snowflakes.

e: Screenshot

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Only one Tory rebel: Ken Clarke.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

I found some more :tinfoil:

quote:

The British people, who are Israelites, under The Covenant, have been betrayed; impoverished and oppressed by the monarchy through-out its long and evil existence, because the people themselves have not kept The Covenant, that they swore at Sinai to keep for ever.

quote:

Elizabeth 2 who is descended from the royal line of David from the tribe of Judah, was then fraudulently crowned on that fake stone in 1953, so in actual fact was never officially crowned queen of Britain in the eyes of God; as God Himself prevented her from being, by having the Stone taken from her.

quote:

Mrs. Elizabeth Alexandra Mary Battenberg/Mountbatten; un-Lawfully residing in Buckingham Palace, London; also known by the criminal aliases Windsor and QE2, was knowingly and willfully, with malice-aforethought, fraudulently crowned on a fake Coronation Stone / Lia Fail / Stone of Destiny / Bethel / Jacob’s Pillar on June 2nd in 1953, and has been fraudulently masquerading as the rightful British Sovereign/Crown for the last 58 years, which the Defendant can prove beyond doubt, and is a major part of why the fraudulent British so-called “crown” is attacking the Defendant with this false, malicious, frivolous, ridiculous and politically motivated charge. It is Mrs. Elizabeth A. M. Battenberg who should be arrested and charged; for her innumerable acts of high-treason against God and Christ, Whose church she falsely claims to head and in defiance of Whom she had herself fraudulently crowned, and Whom she has continued to rule in defiance of, and in opposition to, ever since; not the Defendant.

quote:

It is therefore of the utmost importance that Elizabeth Alexandra Mary Battenberg and the Sovereign’s Bible, that is kept in Lambeth Palace*, be present in court on May 9th for my challenge to her jurisdiction and sovereignty to be heard, and for me to face my false-accuser, examine her and have her arrested.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/826920391125917704

Using a picture of one of the most famous European federalists ever, on the front page of a paper who literally said "Hurrah for the Blackshirts", to celebrate leaving the EU.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

A Labour MP has been kicked out by her husband for voting for Article 50.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

One of the advantages of being a student is you can easily recognise the "thrown a sickie to get out of a 9am lecture". Abbott's migraine is the closest parliamentary equivalent to this since John Major had his wisdom teeth removed.

e: also in student-like behaviour

https://twitter.com/law_and_policy/status/827192120918339584

TinTower fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Feb 2, 2017

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Musical chairs in Rotherham, where the Lib Dems have gained a council ward (for Orgreave!) off Labour, who in turn gained a council ward from UKIP.

Rotherham is, of course, one of UKIP's relative strongholds due to UKIP jumping on the grooming scandal like it was going out of fashion.

This "UKIP are a threat to Labour" argument seems to pushed by the media with no basis in fact, although that much was obvious when the Guardian was claiming UKIP has a chance in Copeland.

TinTower fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Feb 3, 2017

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Also interesting to note: the turnout in the ward Labour lost was higher than the turnout in which they won.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

jabby posted:

19% vs 32%. Council elections are a poor indicator of anything at the national level, comparing the turnouts to say one result is more significant than another is trying pretty desperately hard to make the Lib Dems look good/Labour look bad. I certainly wouldn't characterise it as 'interesting'.

It's the same council area.

hakimashou posted:

Maybe people think the opposition should oppose the tories and their brexit instead of just opposing shaving and wearing ties.

Don't forget singing the national anthem.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/jimwaterson/status/827217641823752192

:allears:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

So there's this argument going around that Labour had to vote for Brexit, otherwise their amendments couldn't get debated.

This is complete bollocks, of course, but here's proof that it's complete bollocks:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

If I recall, one of the major stumbling blocks to UBI in the UK–and most economic policy all around–is the shitshow that is the housing market.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

HJB posted:

Am I going mad or was Labour's previous share still bigger than UKIP's?

Apparently two seats were up the last time the ward was contested.

I think the general trend in by-elections over the part year is that Labour vote shares have dipped slightly and the UKIP vote is collapsing (despite Brexit).

I would not be surprised if UKIP ended up being beaten into fourth in Copeland.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Farage appears to be joining the Single Market

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Stewart Lee has joined the Lib Dems because of Diane Abbott's migraine.

I'm not even joking.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

I thought Stewart Lee was a UKMT favourite ?

We've always been at war with Eastasia, flaps.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Well, Lee was probably out of options. He can't join UKIP while it's being led by Paul Nuttall of the UKIPs.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

UKIP MEP ordered to pay £160,000 in libel damages to three Labour MPs she accused of covering up the Rotherham child abuse scandal.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Gort posted:

As we've seen from the Lib-dems, opposing Brexit is not some magic vote-generating machine.

Fangz posted:

Folks like me are not just going to forget that Labour prioritised not getting eviscerated by the right wing media over representing the views of the people who voted for them. Labour is loving hosed.

This so much. Of all the arguments against Labour opposing Brexit, "we'd get murdered in the press" is literally the absolute worst you can go with. It's literal cowardice.

Politics is realigning on Brexit lines in the same way Scottish politics is realigning on independence lines. And to give credit to the Tories, at least they understand that.

Likewise, representing the losing side doesn't mean political suicide. The SNP still have a working majority in Holyrood.

Labour's position of "oh, I guess" on Brexit does them no favours.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/baleinho/status/828286190294011905

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

kingturnip posted:

The people voting Lib Dem because they're opposed to Brexit are as stupid as the people who think the Lib Dems are making a comeback, because the substantive contribution of the Liberal Democrats to the government of the UK in recent years is to empower one of the most regressive, neoliberal arsebackwards Conservative administrations ever.

The substantive contribution of Labour under Jeremy Corbyn is doing that from "opposition".

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Guess who: Tory MP wants to axe ‘Women’ from Parliament’s Women and Equalities Committee

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

So in the middle of complaining about the Speaker of the House of Commons not inviting a foreign citizen to address Parliament (zomg no platforming!), the Republicans tried to censor a US Senator reading a letter from Martin Luther King's widow. In Black History Month. :cripes:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

It was the Labour movement of the 1910s-1920s that fought and earned the right to leisure time.

The Common Travel Area predates the Second World War, yet both administrations in Ireland are making GBS threads bricks at security implications if the increasingly likely prospect of a hard Irish border (either north-south or east-west) happens.

e: Article 51 is pretty boring poo poo.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

I think Corbyn did quite well on the Surrey sweetheart deal at PMQs.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

The UN Article 51 has been used to justify state terrorism against people. Then again so has everything from the weather to God said so.

The EU Article 51, I meant. :v:

Pissflaps posted:

Yeah it's a good one. Bad timing with the Brexit vote though.

Yeah. Corbyn needs to be getting a major victory, not a string of minor victories, though.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

serious gaylord posted:

Yeah except that's just not going to happen. Remember when Corbyns big selling point was the £3 supporters? That he was popular with demographics that didn't traditionally support labour and this was going to sweep him to success at every election because instead of having to convince shy tories to vote, he'd have this huge swell of people that didn't normally vote so labour would no longer have to pretend to be tory lite to win?

How do you think they voted in the referendum? How do you think they're going to feel about the leader of the labour party forcing his party to vote for something they, almost uniformly, thought was a terrible idea?

90% of Labour members voted against Brexit. That should give you an idea on how the £3 members voted in the referendum.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Joan Ryan posted:

Labour will not give the government a blank cheque in the negotiation process – we will hold the Conservatives to account.

They did that last night, though. No matter how much they say they didn't, they did.

Basically,

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/JamieMcConkey/status/829606870251929601

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

So, of the top ten Remain constituencies, four of their MPs voted for Brexit: Umunna (Streatham, #1), Abbott (Hackney North and Stoke Newington, #3), Corbyn (Islington North, #4), and Hoey (Vauxhall, #10).

Of the top hundred Leave constituencies, only one voted to remain: Creagh (Wakfield, #100).

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

"Now the real fight begins" is as ridiculous as "Here's how Bernie can still win".

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

The mental hurdles people are jumping over to excuse Corbyn literally voting for a hard Tory Brexit reminds me of that "irregular verbs" joke in Yes Minister: I respect the government's mandate, you prop up an unpopular government, he is a yellow Tory.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Incidentally, it is completely possible to go against the mythical Will of the People™ if you have the gumption for the fight. Meg Whitman ran for Governor of California on defending Prop 8 (which was endorsed by Californians 53-47 two years prior) and got trounced in what was, outside of California, a Republican wave year.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

jBrereton posted:

Remember when Labour fought for gay rights and against the death penalty despite the public not wanting them to do either of those things.

Quite. Despite being constantly maligned, the Human Rights Act is one of the best pieces of legislation in the past fifty years.

Coohoolin posted:

Corbyn getting Labour to vote against the bill might have been technically useless, but it might have gone a ways to implement a good political message- messaging being an area of Corbyn's leadership he's particularly bad at. Nicola Sturgeon held a vote in Holyrood that was also technically useless, as Holyrood as no say whatsoever in how the gov't will implement Article 50, but it was politically canny- it showed the SNP as a unified pro-Remain force, put the Tories in the awkward position of having to vote against most of their constituents, and put Scottish Labour in an even more awkward position by forcing Dugdale to go against Corbyn's position and vote against the bill. It helped the SNP's perception as a "good" party and weakened their opposition's images. A lot to be gained be technically useless voting acts.

The problem Corbyn has is that symbolic acts carry more weight than substantive acts, but he's unwilling to at least try for the former. No-one in Labour's seats in London is going to be talking about the minor amendments Labour got through, they're going to talk about how Labour MPs for 70%+ Remain seats voted for Tory Brexit.

TinTower fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Feb 9, 2017

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Fangz posted:

Labour voters voted to remain in the EU by a clear majority also.

Scotland: 62-38
Labour voters: 65-35
Labour members: 90-9

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Wikipedia has been debating over the past eight months whether a far-right terrorist shooting and killing a Labour Member of Parliament for political reasons counts as an assassination.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

Oh gosh, what a loving sick gotcha bro! It wasn't a referendum, your hypothetical is dumb. Of course the right thing was improving gay rights. Doesn't change that a referendum, while not legally binding, does make it exceedingly difficult to oppose the will of the people.

Opposing Prop 8 didn't hurt Jerry Brown or the rest of the California Democratic Party in 2010, despite the rest of America lurching Republican.

jBrereton posted:

Where are these figures coming from?

I mean considering that a shitload of Labour constituencies voted Leave I doubt the 65-35 a lot (unless the people voting just no longer consider themselves Labour voters), and the members was being consistently estimated at something like 70 before now being 90?

Labour voters, Labour members.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

Oh god, gently caress off you dense oval office. When have they ever ignored the result of a referendum?

Birmingham (42-58), Coventry (36-64), Manchester (47-53), and Newcastle (38-62) all voted in referendums in 2012 not to have mayors. They'll be electing mayors this May.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

jBrereton posted:

So it's self-reporting?

I dunno I think there might be a few more tesseractors in the Labour membership than they wanted to admit, and certainly there were more Labour voters who voted to Leave than are saying so, or Leave would not have won so much outside of the south.

The weightings all fit.

Also, lol.

• Locked thread