Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jedit posted:

On the other hand, or possibly the other penis, gently caress catheters.

I know it's poor form to kink shame, but steady on lad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jippa posted:

It's a good zinger in isolation but she isn't really is she.

She's leaving us over the edge of a cliff. That's leadership. Bad leadership but still.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/MattWhittakerRF/status/826701620918546433

Shocking development, inequality goes up during a Tory governments. Who'da thunk it?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

And while I'm linking to dumb poo poo I've seen on Twitter, UKMT's favourite art critic Jonathan Jones has dropped a solid nugget of gold here.

We cannot celebrate revolutionary Russian art – it is brutal propaganda

What a wally.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Can't really say I blame people resigning if they aren't going to vote for A50. The whip for the final vote is a foolish idea.

Well, it's resign or get punted. You can't be in the shadow cabinet and disobey a 3 line whip. Even when it's a loving stupid 3 line whip.

If this is the end for Corbyn, before he's even been able to do anything useful as far as reforming the party democracy goes? And generally moving the discourse to the left? Hard not to say he's probably the worst Labour leader ever. Or at least 2nd behind Ramsay MacDonald.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

MacDonald had a cool mustache and more party leaders should have those.

Didn't deserve that moustache, that bastard turncoat scab motherfucker.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Why does Northern Ireland have a left-wing pro-union party? Seems a missed opportunity, there was lots of working class unionists who were also trade unionists, so why are all the unionist parties lovely conservatives and reactionaries? Fair enough on social matters, but Sinn Fein are also pretty conservative socially.

Never understood this. Almost as if nationalism and religion is getting in the way of class solidarity, being used to divide and conquer?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I'm not really sure about the crocodile tears brigade. Pretty easy when even whips are rebelling to vote with your conscience. Honestly, these people are worse than Corbyn.

Also thanks for the NI Pol posts. Interesting stuff

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

clear eyes full farts posted:

unionists would go mental if that happened, also it would still mean there would be in effect an open border with the eu

That's OK, they already are mental.

Also, the MPs who claim they wanted to vote against yesterday but were scared to can gently caress off. What stunning cowardice. You're meant to be leaders. Act like it.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

jBrereton posted:

Yes it's the Lib Dems who are the useless cowards here lol

Agreed. Couldn't even whip all of their useless MPs to vote for the one thing their party is meant to stand for.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

I definitely want to focus on the LIb dems and their 8 MPs on this issue.

Well, there's no real need to restrict ourselves to just one party behaving shittly, and I think this thread has gone over the ground of how loving terrible Corbyn's handling of this has been.

learnincurve posted:

Oddly enough it's looking probable that Nick Clegg will lose his seat because of an argument in Sheffield over lack of affordable housing for students.

At last, some good news in this trashfire country. Would he lose it as in not be their candidate? Or as in a Tory will replace him?

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Feb 2, 2017

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

jBrereton posted:

Seeing as a fifth of Labour MPs defied a three line whip, 22% of the Lib Dems not voting seems pretty tame.

Yes, but Labour aren't a one policy party. Liberals abstaining on Brexit would be like Nats abstaining on Scottish independence.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Baron Corbyn posted:

He held it by 3000 votes from Labour with the Tories nowhere. Why would it be the Tories taking the seat from him this time round?

Well, it's a traditionally Tory seat. Before 1997 it was a Tory/Unionist seat going back to the First World War. And Liberals won in 1916 because the Tory MP resigned & they couldn't even be arsed nominating a replacement. Considering it's one of those constituencies where Corbyn will not be popular, would hardly be a shock to see the Tories back as #2, as they were in 2010.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Sion posted:

Aye, cos he works so hard the rest of the year.

14 weeks paid holiday is good. I support this.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Gonzo McFee posted:

Also there's a human being called Murdo Frasier. Half way between a murderer and Birdo.

My grandad was called Murdo, he wasn't a Tory. And the Gaelic version of Dangermouse was called Donnie Murdo.

https://youtu.be/y-5hII715_s

#NotAllMurdos

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Namtab posted:

I Dont know who Chris Leslie is but he's rammed in All The Amendments, so that parliament will get like 5 minutes to discuss each. Can't people who want to soften brexit coordinate these things?

Chris Leslie is the former Shadow Chancellor for a couple of months under Harriet Harman's temporary leadership. Notable for never rebelling against the government, even once, between 1997 & 2005, when he lost his seat to Philip Davies, probably the biggest shithead in parliament. Close to Gordon Brown, close to Ed Balls, his wife runs Labour Tomorrow which basically exists to oppose Corbyn's economic ideas. Top bloke basically.

hakimashou posted:

Maybe people think the opposition should oppose the tories and their brexit instead of just opposing shaving and wearing ties.

Oh my gosh you're a bad troll. I mean, come on. You really need to at least base your nonsense in reality. "Oppose the tories" as the reason people support the Liberals. Hah. That's a good one. You've definitely thought that one through.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Lettuce doesn't really keep very long, does it? This all seems flawed. And one lettuce seems like it'd be plenty for one week. And I enjoy lettuce. Although iceberg is a bit bland. Nice with a veggie burger though.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

TheRat posted:

https://twitter.com/owenjones84/status/827500089430175746 :cripes:

And so Trump wins. Left infighting is more important it seems.

I'm not sure that protests in London were ever going to do much to Trump. And yeah, it's hardly unfair to discourage people from attending rallies & events run by SWP & their fronts considering what they've done in the past.

You also miss the follow up tweet, where Jones points out another anti-Trump protest. He's not saying don't protest Trump, he's saying the SWP tried to cover up rape, the people involved in the cover up are still high up in the party, and that it is actively dangerous for the SWP to be allowed to be at the forefront of left-wing activism in this country.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

TheRat posted:

I know that. I've just seen where this road leads, and it's always to focus being removed from the actual cause and onto "Who's the worst leftie?"

It's not about who is more lefty than who. It's about actively covering up rape. Rape is bad. Line in the sand that I won't cross. A refusal to hold fellow comrades to the standards of basic human decency is what allows this poo poo, or the craziness of the Workers Revolutionary Party to happen. gently caress no. Just because I agree with you on politics, I'm not going to give you a pass on acting like a decent person.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

JFairfax posted:

All I'm saying is the Tory party has literally covered up institutional pedophilia in front of everyone's eyes and people still vote for them.

Theresa May actually covered up for the rapists at Yarl's wood and people think she is the best choice to lead the country.

So as detestable as the SWP may or may not be (I really have no loving clue whether they're a cult) the fact that they covered up sexual assault, might make it not be as poisonous electorally to share platforms with them.

i mean that's the reality. the prime minister of the UK actually buried reports of rapes because it would harm the commercial interests of a company and it hasn't held her back one iota.

like it or not that's the reality.

Nobody is suggesting that we should boycott SWP events because it'd be poisonous electorally. We're saying it's because we find it personally distasteful to share a platform with them and it should be avoided.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/KawczynskiMP/status/827994796421763072

Tory MP posts graph showing how debt as percentage of GDP under Labour borrowing. Ed Miliband was such a good PM from 2010 to 2015.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Pochoclo posted:

So funny for a Tory to post this. After the UK leaves the UK, they will go full neoliberal and basically privatise everything they can and borrow, borrow, borrow, until everything blows up in a giant fireball and the pound hits rock-bottom and unemployment reaches 50%

Trust me I have plenty of experience in this exact same situation

Sadly we're too stupid to have proper riots. We'll just bend over & take it & maybe complain about how bad it is while doing nothing about it. Hooray Britain.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Pesky Splinter posted:

Thankfully people saved it

[e]: Bigger image.

Yeah, I saved it but hadn't uploaded it when I went out. Still, what a wally.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Skinty McEdger posted:

He's cheating on his German wife with a young French politician.

Allegedly

How cosmopolitan of him.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Just put Merkel in charge, the British are clearly incapable of governing themselves

Hah, no. Get hosed, aside from less racism than May, there's little difference. Rather not have another lovely centre right type thanks.

Guavanaut posted:

Everyone take out your copybooks, today's lesson is Liberals will always defend right wing populism over any kind of leftism. Write it 100 times.

Hahaha, The Guardian have given space to someone from The Federalist. That's peak Guardian.

5th Feb, 1885 - King Leopold II of Belgium has decided that Congo isn't a colony of Belgium, it's a personal possession. This definitely goes badly for the people of Congo.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Feb 5, 2017

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

jabby posted:

Anyone who thinks Labour should support remaining in the EU should watch Caroline Lucas on Peston today. As much as I admire her she had absolutely no answer to the question of 'why did you support a referendum and now reject leaving the EU?' and it's painful to watch. Possibly because it's an impossible question to answer.

Plenty of MPs didn't. Incidentally, they were right to oppose the referendum purely for keeping the Tory Party together.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Cerv posted:

Not that many. Just the SNP and Dennis Skinner voted no wasn't it?

Jesus, really? That's hilarious. I just assumed that the Labour right would have decided a referendum was a terrible idea. My bad. All of Labour is useless.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Cerv posted:

careful now. if you look back at what the Labour-right leadership said in justification for not voting against the 2015 bill it's the exact same logic as the Corbyn-leadership in not voting against article 50 now.
will of the people and all that

Hence why I said all of the Labour Party is useless. I absolutely think what Corbyn is doing is dumb. Leaving the EU will be bad for poor people. Despite the EU being bad for poor people because neoliberalism inherent to the EU is bad.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

jabby posted:

I think that's a reasonable argument, but I think if you feel that way you should be mad at him for voting in favour of a referendum. Not for voting to trigger Article 50. Once he voted to give the decision to the public then the die was cast so to speak.

I can be mad at him for both. And in fact I am. Although I am mostly mad at the way that Corbyn has completely failed to hold the Tories to account over Brexit and triggering Article 50. I've pretty much come to terms with the fact that Brexit is inevitable, doesn't mean I don't expect the opposition to do their loving job and at least put the brakes on the worst excesses. Much like why Harriet Harman saying they should abstain on the welfare bill back in 2015 was dreadful, it failed to hold the government to account.

Zephro posted:

I had a quick look at the Federalist and it seems to be a right-wing, god-and-family, Christianty-with-everything website more than a liberal one

They regularly get mocked on Chapo Trap House. Or did before the election anyway.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

TomViolence posted:

Christ alive, you lot, why do you still respond to Pissflaps?

It's like the Beach Boys once sung: God Only Knows

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Namtab posted:

Did someone mention hype manga series: the world God only knows

No. Definitely not.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

British children's animation is so bad it makes me want to cry. It's not like they don't have access to the good stuff being pumped out of the US, it's just that they look at it, think "that's nice" then go back to writing garbage.

Umm, Rick & Morty is shown in the UK guy, it's cool

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

God. I'd completely erased that from my memory.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Stewart Lee is still very funny. Liberals are capable of being politically wrong & yet still funny. Seems like the Libs would always have been a good fit for him really. But I bet Stewart Lee the character would like Jeremy Corbyn.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/naomi_rovnick/status/828606484112084992

Oh the Graun

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Fangz posted:

You can't specify that you only want BAME candidates if it's a paid scheme because of UK employment equality law.

I think a newspaper which occasionally attacks inequality & low pay does its cause immeasurable damage by exploiting unpaid schemes like this which ultimately are going to favour people whose parents are wealthy enough to give their kid a 2 week free ride, on top of already paying for them to be able to afford London rents

But then liberals are generally terrible on discrimination based on class & economic measures so that's hardly a shocker. Still a lovely look.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Fangz posted:

I think you're making heavy assumptions here. Like the first question is whether you think they are exploiting the students that apply... and the answer is probably not? It's a 2-week mentorship scheme, it costs their employees' time to pay attention to their kids, and it's unlikely they will get much meaningful work out of these kids except for some cups of coffee made. The scheme will be mainly to the applicants' benefit - it's basically a work experience/CV padding exercise.

The second question is whether this benefits the relatively well to do over the super-poor. This is unfortunately true, but like I said, with the law as it is this is pretty much the only thing they can do (apart from offering bursaries for journalism students, which is the other thing they do). OTOH you don't have to be *that* rich to benefit from the scheme, like they say they are covering travel expenses so you don't have to live right by the offices. There'll be plenty of less well to do students and so on that can survive not working part time or whatever for two weeks. If it was for a longer period it'd be a larger issue.

It's not a perfect scheme by any means, but in the context of the law, I can't really think of how I would do things differently. It's certainly better than nothing. It has been running for several years anyway so if it does its cause damage, you're years out of date.

It cuts out anyone who has to meet rent. So yeah, you've got to be from either a family where your folks can afford to pay for you to live in London or commuting distance from London, or live with parents who already live in that area. So yes, it's certainly not going to be only beneficial to those from a well off background, but it remains a fact that these work experience/CV padding things are often hugely beneficial to people and are largely restricted to those who are already from a background where they can afford to go two weeks without being paid. That's not an assumption, that's a fact. It's a very bad thing. It does nothing more than work to entrench inequality further. Yes, it's a common practice for lots of companies, for MPs, and yes, it's hugely problematic in every case. I am deeply opposed to it.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Fangz posted:

I think wealth inequality is important, but racial inequality is also important, and the trade off is necessary here. There's large minority communities in London that can and do benefit from this and having their voices heard is important. Other schemes can focus on the poor.

What about people from poor minority communities in Birmingham, in Manchester, in Glasgow, in Bristol? Unpaid internships, even under the excuse of racial equality, are inexcusable. I'm actually staggered someone in UKMT outside of standard contrarians would try to defend them.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Fangz posted:

No one can list the newspapers that don't do unpaid internships.

I say with 90% certainty that The Morning Star doesn't have unpaid internships. Anyway, this is a bad excuse. Internships, as The Guardian's writers have admitted, are terrible. While I agree there does need to be a broader representation of minorities in journalism, that's hardly unique to race. Journalism is wholly unrepresentative of Britain as a whole. And going purely by population, the poor are much more unrepresented in that profession (& most other high prestige or high pay jobs). Hell, the only groups not over-represented are those that attended independent schools & those that attended Oxbridge.

Anyway, I'll stop now because we're just going over the same ground and it's probably not interesting to read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Cerv posted:

The morning star is not without its own labour relations problems.
Paying minimum wage even in London. Sacking reporters who upset their favourite union officials, or deviating slightly from the party line.

Completely agree. The Morning Star is a poor paper in its own respect. Minimum wage pay is shoddy as hell. I've no interest in defending CPGB (or whatever group it is that owns it) shills.

• Locked thread