Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Labour's current path is electoral suicide I can't imagine opposing brexit - the platform on which every Labour MP was elected - would actually make matters worse.

The fact is that Corbyn is pro brexit and always has been. To his credit, he's finally found an issue on which he is prepared to be decisive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Namtab posted:

I don't think "oppose brexit" was a manifesto commitment tbh

A commitment to EU membership was.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Namtab posted:

But specifically opposing brexit following a referendum was not.

By that token: nor to specifically support Brexit.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Namtab posted:

I'm glad we now agree that labour mps were not elected on a platform of opposing brexit

Maybe trying to soften the inevitable is better than futile resistance

Labour MPs were elected on a pro EU platform.

Labour rolling over for the Tories will soften gently caress all.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Namtab posted:

The Tories can force it through regardless, the aim is to get them to crumble and accept some of the amendments, which seem easy enough to swing some rebellion or concessions.

Remember that a fair number of Tories probably aren't in favour of a hard girthy brexit either.

That's not going to happen. There will be no concessions or meaningful amendments. Why on earth would the Tories 'crumble' in the face of zero opposition?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Coohoolin posted:

My mother has hired an immigration lawyer. Hopefully things go smoothly.

I'll keep everything crossed.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
What did Corbyn ask about Brexit?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Great work Jezza.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Rakosi posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/feb/01/eu-brexit-deal-city-leaked-report-european-parliament-article-50

How will this affect negotiations? Were the Brexiteers right that the continent was dishonestly mitigating their own exposure to risk in this?

I think it's always been obvious that Brexit is bad for everyone. A bad deal is also bad for everyone.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Rakosi posted:

Yes, but surely it must be conceded that whilst the Brexiteers have been naive in their hope for a great deal for everyone (and lying about monetary savings and the NHS), there has been an ignored weight of dishonesty in the Remainer camp regarding how much more the UK needs the EU than the EU needs the UK (or, namely, the City of London). Personally, I always have and still do take a very dim view of all of the EU politicians that spoke out in vengeful sabre-rattling tones during and since the campaign. If it turns out, after the article 50 negotiation deadline, that it only really had a nominal effect on the UK then I think it would be fair to accuse some politicians of effectively trying to terrorize a nation into membership.

I think you raise some valid points.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Spangly A posted:

European economy, 22.8% of nominal global GDP. UK economy, 4.4%

It's pretty loving basic mathematics.

The point rakosi is making is not that the EU needs the UK more than vice versa, but that the dangers to the EU from a disorderly Brexit are real.

https://twitter.com/newdawn1997/status/826778788151296000

Pissflaps fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Feb 1, 2017

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/duncanrobinson/status/826809483200495616

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/826863883604332544

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Something, at least

https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/826866773802762241

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

jabby posted:

Labour wants to amend the bill and not block it, so they will be voting for amendments. Voting against the bill at this stage would be voting to block it. You might say they should try to block it, I'm not sure why 'amendments come later and can't be forced through' is a difficult concept.

I've already told you. These amendments aren't going to happen.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

OwlFancier posted:

Oh well now that you say it it's settled.

You're attempting to rationalise Corbyn's actions by pinning your hopes on fanciful amendments that aren't going to be added to the bill. Labour are not opposing Brexit. They're not opposing this bill. They're doing gently caress all about t.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
You've been banging on about opposing the bill being pointless because labour have a minority of MPs - but your genius plans involved 'threatening to block' it at the amendment stage?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

OwlFancier posted:

"If you have the facility"

So your plan is for labour to not oppose the bill at any stage.

Brilliant.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

OwlFancier posted:

Labour can't meaningfully oppose the bill you dolt. They can vote however they like and the only effect it will have is on public perception.

Tell me what you think the point of the Opposition is, smart lad.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Trin Tragula posted:

I have to say it's making my head spin a lot that we started this whole thing with "Support Corbyn for a leader who will actually oppose the Government's evil plans!" and now we're not a million miles away from "Support Corbyn for a leader who recognises that we can't possibly oppose the Government's evil plans!"

The cherry in top is Corbyn supposedly being the leader who does the 'right' thing, not the populist thing.

And the people who supported him for that are now supporting this populist stance on Brexit.

He could poo poo on their cat and they'd nod sagely and agree that it was the nuanced, principled thing to do.

What a loving mess he's made.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

OwlFancier posted:

Support Corbyn as a leader who actually wants the Labour party to give a poo poo about the welfare of the working class, for which domestic government policy is far more important than Brexit, especially as Brexit is a given and thus the way this and future governments spread the cost of it will be very important.

Brexit is a given because Labour is not opposing it.

Corbyn is a joke. He's hosed the Labour party.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

OwlFancier posted:

Completely incorrect, and you are well aware of that.

It's entirely correct.

Mister Adequate posted:

Brexit is a loving catastrophe but how would you propose Corbyn or an alternative Lab leader should have acted in the time between the referendum and today, in order to stop it occurring?

Built up a persuasive case against Brexit using all the evidence and events since - focussing most recently on the need for stability in the face of an increasingly alarming situation in America - then held a three line whip against tonight's bill, bringing rebel Tories on-side to defeat it.

And you know what? Even if it had failed it would still have acted as some sort of brake on us careering towards the hardest of possible Brexits. Because there would have been opposition to it.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Labour could have generated leverage by effectively opposing Brexit - both inside and outside Parliament. The process is not going well. May is an idiot. This should have been exploited.

Instead it's been squandered and leaves Labour literally supporting the Tories on the most important political issue of the last fifty years.

It will do to Labour in the UK what the independence referendum did to them in Scotland.

Pissflaps fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Feb 1, 2017

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/NCPoliticsUK/status/826913643023495168

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Namtab posted:

If only Owen Smith had won. He's the man we need

Do we know how he voted tonight?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

OwlFancier posted:

He would have used his sixty foot willy to beat May to death without leaving the labour benches.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

against the bill, one of the 47

An interesting contrast.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

OwlFancier posted:

A choice between tories selling the NHS to the US out of stupidity and Smith selling it to whoever will pay him the most out of greed would be an interesting if depressing one.

Owen Smith lost the leadership election i'm not sure why you're still pretending he's some sort of political boogeyman. He's irrelevant.

you asked how he voted, I replied. Not really difficult is it?

The contrast I found interesting was between the hyperbole and reality.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

OwlFancier posted:

The idea being if he had not. Use your brain, flaps.

Sorry my brain is too busy mulling over the majestic nuance of Corbyn supporting the Tories on Brexit and you thinking this is a good idea.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Extreme0 posted:

I hope a Wall is built around the border of Scotland & England so that once Climate Change happens that all the English Refugees drown. That will teach them because we are full and we don't need more White people coming into our country.

I can't visualise how this would work.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Oberleutnant posted:

I wish i was dead already!!

How about you cheer up us - and yourself - by transcribing a really long old rear end letter?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Is there any provision within the Article 50 mechanism for the process to take longer than 2 years?

Yes.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

but no way of stopping it once it's enacted, correct? I'm sure I've asked this before

That would be up to the European court to decide. The guy that wrote it believes its reversible.

Private Speech posted:

Anyone knows who were the 4 SNP MPs that didn't vote against the government? I'm curious now.

Maybe Tasmina forgot which party she is in this year?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

namesake posted:

Pissflaps being mister helpful as usual.

All the member states of the EU have to agree for an extension, which lasts 6 months.

What is this six months?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Prince John posted:

Given only 1 Tory apparently cares enough about Europe to rebel, who are the hordes of defectors you are expecting? It was widely reported in the poltiical press that May squashed any potential Tory rebellion by committing to produce a white paper, thereby eliminating the possibility of them joining with Labour.

There would be absolutely no difference in parliamentary outcome if Corbyn had whipped to oppose article 50. Please describe how this break would function to block a majority government, with 1 rebelling MP, from passing its legislation?

In a world where Labour were doing there job properly there would actually be a side to defect to. May was able to squash any rebellion simply by committing to a white paper because the Remain lobby in the house is so weak. One Tory rebelling in a parliament where the leader of the Opposition is siding with the Tories is not an accurate measure of how many could be persuaded to rebel in a parliament with an actual Opposition possessing a competent leader. Failing actually blocking the bill, their would have been enough resistance to get worthwhile amendments to protect us from the worse excesses of Brexit.

This is all really, really loving obvious stuff.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Regarde Aduck posted:

I think most supporters are pretty pissed off actually. Don't be a sore winner.

I was right about Corbyn but that does not make me the 'winner'. We've all lost.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

learnincurve posted:

What are the odds on Germany just cancelling our membership, demanding money, and telling us that we have to start negotiating with European Union countries from scratch the moment article 50 is triggered?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

TACD posted:

I was under the impression that Labour had basically promised to vote for the bill whether or not any amendments got added. Has there been an update where they're showing more spine?

Clive Lewis has said he'll vote against without amendments (not sure what amendments he means specifically).

Corbyn is planning to run a three line whip on the final vote regardless of what amendments are added.

Posts like the ones you quoted are from people who still don't understand what Corbyn wants, or who are wilfully deceiving others.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Why would the EU want to see British financial services relocate to Northern Ireland, particularly?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

WeAreTheRomans posted:

They wouldn't particularly. The point is that ROI would need a sweetener to take on the annual 6 billion sinkhole of NI. And that, as I said, would probably take the form of structural funding or debt forgiveness.

Isn't the Republic constitutionally bound to seek a reunited Ireland?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Has the EU ever before entered into such horse trading? It just doesn't seem to be something it does?

• Locked thread