Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

drat that narrow, all-inclusive progressive politics aimed at all working people!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Time for some Pratchett quotes:

"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was Us, then what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

The Us and Them is the national unit, successfully created by the bourgeois after centuries of oppression and centralisation.

Bonus quote for British education:

“Sergeant Colon had had a broad education. He’d been to the School of My Dad Always Said, the College of It Stands to Reason, and was now a postgraduate student at the University of What Some Bloke In the Pub Told Me.”

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

A strong contender for next months subtitle.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Here's a really nice summary of the attitudes the left has been taking over Brexit and we've been doing in the thread:

quote:

What strikes me about conversations on social media regarding brexit is that there are three diffrent categories of contribution- not strands of commentary, but comments- the Entrenched Lexiteer, the Moral Remainer and the Exhausted and Confused Naive Appeal to Unity. 3 different comments being repeated over and over again with almost no capacity for nuance or development and with almost no exceptions.

I won't identify their content now because that's just an oportunity to return to the leftist death spiral that is the hideous 'debate' on this and every other topic which presently divides us. I want to try and find a way to pull us out of that death spiral. The decision to boycott the anti-Trump demonstration called principally by forces from the traditional far left and the subsequent decision by those forces to set up an alternative campaign is an extemely alarming sign of deterioration at what may be the most crucial momment in recent history.

Some people may take the attitude that the root issue is simply the history of abuse in the SWP. I don't buy that. I don't believe the SWP was the only target of sentiment to exclude forces involved in the formation of that demonstration and if it was, boycotting a demonstration would be an utterly unprecedented response in this country and one which doesn't measure rationally up against the war crimes, political butchery and authoritarianism actively participated in by the Labour Party and the communist Party for generations- with loud and vicious denunciations being carried out against these organisations ON demonstrations significant figures of these groups were visibly leading.

It also shows that the schism is not unique to the question of Brexit, and that the various schisms contribute to eachother and begin to draw a broader picture of an underlying rupture in the left- which itself suggests a still more fundemental rupture in the reality from which politics emerges. I thought perhaps thinking about the social media debate as a symptom of our condition, rather than taking the attitude that social media, or etiquette or even the ideas expessed are the sickness itself, might be a way to help understand the crisis oft the left.

Although they are utterly at odds with eachother it's become possible to identify some broad features the diffrence types of commentary have in common. They ALL claim that every other strand of opinion is bullying and abusive. They ALL claim that the left is inward looking and isolated. They ALL claim to be speaking in defence of principles of internationalism and anti-racism. Apart from the specific arguments being made, what really separates the two strands of argument- which extends also to the response to the Syrian war- is that the lexit left tends to claim the monopoly on revolutionary politics and the remainers tend to claim moral authority. Both sides claim the other is not in touch with the working class. This ironically is the key, but I'll come back to that in a momment.

Not much can be learned from this apart from that the arguments are rife with contradictions and inconsistencies and above all characature- and I say this very delibrately- NOT straw-figures. Straw figuring is creating a false enemy you can defeat, what has been going on in these bust ups is more a tendency to amplify the biggest problems of the other side in general, which is interesting because the main effect seems to be to construct a more rational system of ideas in the opposing contributions than is actually identifiable. The destructiveness of these debates emerges, I think, from the urgency we feel to actually understand the rupture itself and our deep unpreparedness to do so. Its reasuring to impute on your opponent a straightforward ideological break with our tradition or principles because it converesly reassures us that we know where WE are and where WE are going, but these charactures are not accurate, they conceal the disorientation.This is surely because of a lack of an intelligence of the class and it's condition.

The cheap bullshit version of this argument is that leftists are all just unbearably middle class and dont do proper working class jobs anymore or arent sufficiently northern. This is nonsense. Im not even going to bother to refute it. Even were it true Fredrick Engels was the poshest motherfucker ever to ponder equality while a domestic servant scrubbed the skid marks out of his kecks, but he still managed to do some of the most insightful work of patient documentation of the material and social conditions of the working class ever seen. Regardless, posing the issue in this way is to massively underestimate it. We're confronted with a class which has had its traditions of self consciousness brutally smashed. However working class leftists are, what does it matter if the class doesn't know itself?

After the split with the SWP it's various diaspora seemed to, separately, agree that this was a thing and that major work was needed to overcome this lack of an adequate theory of the present. That work has been stumbled through with various momments of insight, but ultimately with little that really seemed to answer the vast dirth of real understanding. The catch 22 of it all is that understanding doesn't emerge in the abstract, just through thinking about it really hard, but through the active theorising of workers experiences of struggle- and struggle has been thin. Progressively less thin, and the sparks begining to fly in new sectors of the economy have been exciting and promising- but with the advent of the referendum and Trump's victory and the aftermath of the Arab spring, events have over taken us.

So to return to the original question, what I'm tentatively suggesting is that this un-inteligence of the class is what is producing the grinding, dispiriting schisms in the left. In the absence of a class that is achieving self consciousness, and that retains almost no sustaining memory of its emergence in previous struggles, the left is resorting too two broad strategies to cope with the rapidly accelerating pace of existential threats.

On the one hand there is resort to achieving a kind of nihilistic moral purity, epitomised by attitudes to the Syrian dissaster. The heart of this lies in the sense of the likelyhood of defeat- not of an abandonment of the class as the agent of change, but a very real recognition that they are not consciously leading the struggle and thus logically struggles will be defeated. Battles are defensive. Cross class alliances and appeals to institutions are more paletable with this rational because the immediate battle to preserve conditions, to save specific identifiable lives, is not only sacrosanct but is all that is imaginable.

On the other hand there is an attempt to inoculate the left against bleeding in of reactionary ideas from outside. It's a focus that looks to defend political gains in limited sectors of the working class and is more focused on a long game of achieving something out of the present crisis of the system, hoping for a spontaneous re-emergence of class struggle from within that crisis precisely because the left doesn't have the kind of penetration or numbers to foster it. This kind of thinking tends to over emphasise any signs of life from the class and, caught in an unpopular holding pattern, is constantly trying to justify itself.

To be frank, both these perspectives are producing a distorted picture of the underlying reality.

I don't have some magic third alternative perspective to offer that suggests ways to overcome the weakness of both these probably quite poorly charactrised mentalitys, as I said what is at their root is is a historic decline in class consciousness and intelligence of its present condition. I know much better equipped minds than mine from all sides of The debate are working tirelessly on the nature of the period. Thinking this through though I do have a couple of concrete suggestions:

The old left has to accept the changed circumstances. They can't control things, their significance is declining. Let go, evolve and win the arguments if you can. Don't form your own alternative coalitions that's loving dumb.

People working in the new left need to learn to tell the diffrence between excited, emergent new people with liberal ideas and toxic liberal reactionaries, and that goes for both sides of the debate. The ultrareds need to stop hissing at 'liberals' and get their head around who their audience is and the kind of gap we need to close with them.

The moralists need to stop it. Seriously just give it a rest, unless you are a Syrian or a migrant personally actually yourself, in which case fair play we all need to hear you and you have a right to just be so loving mad with everyone.

And this is no solution to anything, but everyone needs to shutup with the sense of embattlment and abusiveness of the other side. You must grasp how loving hypocritical that is. If you don't, take take a break from fb.

I agree that unfortunately we haven't actually had a way of cutting across the divide, although I guess the theatre in the USA is providing some ground on that front (although as pointed out, already split due to the actions of some), but ultimately we're struggling to reach a resolution to anything as is.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Tesseraction posted:

Nifty. Where's this from?

Just someone I know on Facebook, not a famous lefty or anything.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Tesseraction posted:

Well, it's a good piece. Out of interest is the author an Entrenched Lex or a Moral Remainer?

Trying not to be any of them?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Fangz posted:

I will point out that people who propose never to put their friends first at all over comparable strangers tend to have few friends. That too is a consequence.

Because all their friends were killed while they rescued other people?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Blairs attitude, which does pretty much boil down to 'well we can keep all non-white people out, will that do?' and is at best permitted and at worst required by the EU is why I've always been skeptical of the arguments about the EUs approach to reducing internal borders; a vital component of doing that is setting harder and harder external border limits.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

Hi mean they all make their money through capital returns on the houses and shops they own.

(I have no idea if that's the case, but it would be amusing if so.)

Their property portfolio isn't actually that much, and is mostly offices they use themselves rather than charge rent for.

Instead they've got a bunch of will bequests and trusts to subsidise the fund raising and appeals they do at most meetings as well as member subscriptions.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Pochoclo posted:

In 5 years each and every single politician in the UK will be running on a "rejoin the EU" platform anyway, just wait and see.

Assuming we're not in a ENGLAND PREVAILS type situation.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Have you thought about posting graphs of poll results over time? That'd be much more interesting than what you do now.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Will Coventry be levelled by Freedom rockets again?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Presumably the near total destruction of global industry and most life would quickly net out to be an overall positive in stopping greenhouse gas emissions?

I mean all the ecosystems would be destroyed anyway but...

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

ThomasPaine posted:

I don't think there's much crossover between 'charismatic people' and 'economists' tbqh

What are you talking about?

He's like Doctor Who with his glasses and yelling about stuff that sounds sort of plausible enough but has little bearing to the real world.

Excellent! Although I guess this means soon reality will be replacing Charlie Brooker media productions, just as it did Armando Iannucci.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Pochoclo posted:

Most of Europe is white as gently caress though so it kind of begs the question, are the racist brexiteers going to be happy once they realise that most of the immigrants they didn't want actually come from outside the EU?

Eh there is a substantial amount of xenophobia against people who actually are from Eastern Europe as they're able to bring enough of home with them (shops, goods, language) to freak out the bigots.

Naturally if the Polish shops close and then the high street empties then they'll still blame immigrants somehow.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Why have principles when you can ride to Eternal Electoral Victory by simply not being a Tory?*

*Offer not valid after 2010

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Hopefully that's just responding to money down rather than actually sentiment.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Oberleutnant posted:

This isn't really relative to any discussion going on just now, but one of Malatesta's letters keeps doing laps in the back of my mind, and I wanted to share it with the thread because it's interesting:

Pretty true and a cute ending :3:

Nice anarchist!

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

Mm, there was that great BNP pamplet that someone looked up and it turns out they used a picture of a Polish spitfire for the cover.

Still think that was Searchlight pulling an amazing troll.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

I wonder if the cultural landmark imagery of 1997 is a major part of the problem; if New Labour had only squeaked a win there probably would have been far more voices saying it was because they'd moved too far away from their traditional base and they'd be having the same sort of discussion they're having now but 20 years earlier and in government.

And if it happened in the first parliament they'd get the drop on all the 9/11 inspired racism.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

HJB posted:

People don't hate immigrants (at least, they didn't and they wouldn't), they hate the negative impact of the sheer number of immigrants on their lives. People want immigration reduced and controlled for the betterment of their own lives, not to spite immigrants. Yes, there are people who are violent and aggressive towards them, but that sort of person will always exist, there will always be racial hatred regardless.

But even the idea of immigration being too high is very common but isn't particularly true in any sense. Migrants coming in are responsive for the continued operation of vital infrastructure and economic performance, it's that our economy and society is so broken that even with their help lots of things are still going to hell for lots of people. Trying to solve low wages or lack of housing through managing population movements might sound plausible but it isn't true in our case so there's no ground to give to the argument.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

We're going to have a revolution and make the bourgeoisie pay for it.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Please tell me that the test is available somewhere.

Or that it's a GCSE level Politics exam or something.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Paul.Power posted:

A policeman?

Truly an awful fate.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

A clay golem policeman might be the only thing that could ever seek and preserve public favour, not by pandering to public opinion, but by constantly demonstrating absolutely impartial service to law, in complete independence of policy, and without regard to the justice or injustice of the substance of individual laws, by ready offering of individual service and friendship to all members of the public without regard to their wealth or social standing.

I doubt that particular attribute would win them any friends anywhere.

So from another angle they'd probably be a powerful force for ensuring the law moves at a similar pace to social attitudes.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

While we mostly are members of the British public we aren't really representative so that's a little unfair.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Yes in a voting system the voters do hold some responsibility for the outcome, like Labour not doing so well.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Paxman posted:

She sees the idea that Labour were actually poo poo when they were last in government nationally as a weapon she can use to convince people they would also be poo poo if they won the mayoral elections in May. This is one of the reasons it's important to challenge the idea that the last Labour government was bad. As well as being untrue, it helps the Tories.

Well that's fair enough but if you take the last little infighting Labour had about New Labours legacy the Corbyn crowd was saying things like the Iraq war and PFI projects were bad and we shouldn't do them and the Tom Watson was making speeches saying they shouldn't apologise for anything. New Labour has become overly representative of the two sides in the Labour Party but people who still talk about how awesome they were are just going to get shredded from all angles.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Comrade Cheggorsky posted:

can you name a more iconic duo?

Ant and Dec.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Pissflaps posted:

'Who?' -Jeremy Corbyn

Ah poo poo, really set myself up for that.

I even thought about that interview...

Anyway the child sex abuse public inquiry started properly today with the astoundingly racist plan to ship poor white British children to use as slaves and be abused by paedophiles to try and keep Australia white. Operating until 1974. It's weird because I had heard some snippets about the scheme but it just being laid out in public record is really making me just sit down and think about how super hosed up it was as a plan.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Comrade Cheggorsky posted:

John Major good?

No but I will admit he's got a better political angle that Labour does right now. Any party which uncompromisingly tries to ignore those that voted Remain will suffer for it and a party which can square the circle and identify and fight for things that both sides want (like better economic conditions for more people, continued easy access for Brits to the rest of the EU) will come out on top. With a large amount of luck if the Tories continue to destroy UKIP and Labour starts hitting that mark then their fortunes will turn.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Wealth has a great isolating factor from the harsh edges of reality; not worrying about rent for a few months even if disaster strikes is a great sense to carry around. Risk of being deported probably overcomes that though.

Not to mention how bonkers your perspective can get when you're surrounded by millionaires and you only earn £250k or something.

Also check out who the Graudian likes now: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/feb/27/the-guardian-view-on-george-w-bush-a-welcome-return

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Paxman posted:

Really if I drink wine not beer and have a la di da accent and listen to the Archers and read the Grauniad and go to work in a suit with a white shirt and tie and sit at a desk and earn what sounds like a lot of money to most people and call myself working class I'm either going to get laughed at or a smack in the mouth

Yeah but that's actually a problem.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Namtab posted:

What's false consciousness, I feel like this might be false consciousness

It's like when you've sat on your hand for a few minutes and you can't feel or move it but instead of your hand it's your actual position in society.

Both relate to wanking somehow.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

hakimashou posted:

A danger of having a far left mad dog like Corbyn is that you risk putting people onto a dilemma between the far left and the far right. If people lean just a little bit to the right, then the far right gets them.

Vs a contest between the center and the far right, where the center is closer to right leaning people than the extreme.

If a voter sees themselves in a stark position of risking losing their property rights against losing every other right (or depriving a bunch of other people of their rights) and they vote to keep their property rights secure then they weren't agreeable allies at that point anyway.

Probably are fairly horrible people generally.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

The trouble was started when a group of MPs started balancing bagels on the Speakers head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Breath Ray posted:

How familiar are you with maslow's hierarchy of needs

The bottom rung isn't 'satisfy paranoid xenophobia'.

The bottom rung is socialism

hakimashou posted:

I'm sure the next general election will go swimmingly if Labour just come out and say "vote for us and we will confiscate your property. Don't like it? Vote for the tories, you scumbag. You piece of poo poo."

If they said that to the top 1% they'd probably landslide like a certain Mr Blair.

• Locked thread