Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

JFairfax posted:

I do like working class people and I dislike Tory governments. I actually left the UK when the Tories got in in 2010.

I refuse to live in the UK under the Tories.

it is telling you did not deny my accusation.

You hold nothing but contempt for working class people, as evidenced by your regular outbursts against them in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Pantsuit posted:

Sorry Flaps but New Labour is to blame for literally all of Labours problems

*Ding ding ding* We have a winnah!

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

JFairfax posted:

a lot loving better I would imagine. we wouldn't have ISIS for one, no refugee crisis, probably no Trump either.

Well, the last one is pretty much a direct reaction to the first two.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pissflaps posted:

You hold nothing but contempt for working class people, as evidenced by your regular outbursts against them in this thread.

I thought you were the archbishop of banterberry, better get out of the kitchen mate

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

JFairfax posted:

Earlier this month the Institute for Public Policy Research (IPPR) published an “audit of social justice” examining the impact of the Labour government’s policies on poverty and social inequality in Britain. Its findings are an indictment of the big business agenda imposed by Prime Minister Tony Blair’s government during its seven years in office.

Poverty and inequality have widened during that period, sharply polarising Britain between a tiny minority who control much of the country’s wealth and monopolise political life, and the vast majority of the population who have little control or influence over either.

The findings are also an indictment of the IPPR. The think tank has worked hand in glove with Labour, helping fashion much of government policy—from welfare reform through to privatising key public services. In 1994 the IPPR established a “Commission on Social Justice” that sought to redefine measures of social inequality, which Labour utilised to justify the abandonment of its traditional social reformist programme.

Ten years after the commission first reported, the IPPR admit that all aspects of social and political life in the UK under Labour have polarised “according to class and wealth.” According to the IPPR, under Blair the richest 1 percent of the population has more than doubled its share of national income from approximately 6 percent in 1980 to a massive 13 percent in 1999.

Wealth distribution is even more unequal than income distribution, and has continued to become more unequal in the last decade. Between 1990 and 2000 the percentage of wealth held by the wealthiest 10 percent of the population increased from 47 percent to 54 percent.

Inequality in disposable income (after taxes and benefits are accounted for) has also increased. The report states that based on the Gini coefficient (whereby 0 means perfect equality and 100 means perfect inequality), inequality has increased from 33 in 1996/97 to 36 in 2001/02.

Poverty widens

The IPPR claims that the government has had some success in tackling child poverty rates. In 1998 these were the highest in the European Union, but by 2001 the UK had apparently fallen to 11th out of the 15 EU countries on child poverty.

The government’s policy on child poverty has largely been aimed at forcing single mothers into work. Even so, claims of improvement appear at odds with the report’s findings that in 2001, 23 percent of children in the UK were living in households earning less than 60 percent of median income, almost double the rate in Germany and five times that in Denmark. It seems that any improvement is at least partially accounted for by the fact that the government revised its definition of poverty from one based on total household income after housing costs, to total household income before housing costs.

What is clear is that under Labour poverty now encompasses broader sections of the population. This is despite the fact that the IPPR report that the “economy has experienced steady growth since 1993, employment rates have increased and registered unemployment continues to fall.”

Twenty-one percent of pensioners live in poverty in the UK (the same level as in 1994 under the Conservative government). The number of working poor has also increased, with working-age adults without children constituting an “unfavoured group.” The latter now comprise 31 percent of people in poverty, up from 25 percent in 1994.

Sixty-nine percent of Pakistani and Bangladeshi people were living in poverty in 2002/03, compared to 22 percent of Indians and 20 percent of whites (DWP 2004). They were three times more likely than whites to live in unfit housing and report bad health.

Black pupils were three times more likely to be excluded than white pupils.

The IPPR states “poverty is dynamic, with a large body of people constantly moving in and out.” Half the population were in poverty for at least one year between 1991 and 2001, and one-quarter of all individuals in the UK experienced “recurrent or short-term persistent poverty.”

Some 16 percent of households spent at least five years in poverty between 1991 and 1999. But persistent poverty—defined as those living at least three years out of the last four in poverty—”remained stubbornly high in Britain compared to the rest of Europe.”

https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2004/08/pove-a19.html

This is an interesting article.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
it really is

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Pissflaps posted:

You don't like working class people so Tory governments are ok with you.

I imagine most Iraqis could be considered working class or lower

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Huh, Labour didn't so much win Stoke as the Tories lost it thanks to UKIP stealing half their votes.
I think this is going to be a repeating pattern - Labour will be an eternal 35% while the split between Tories and UKIP will decide if either Tories or Labour win.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

JFairfax posted:

I thought you were the archbishop of banterberry, better get out of the kitchen mate

What does 'get out of the kitchen' mean?

Pochoclo posted:

m
I think this is going to be a repeating pattern - Labour will be an eternal 35% while the split between Tories and UKIP will decide if either Tories or Labour win.

In 'safe' labour seats maybe.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I like this one where after 18 years of Tory government the first thing Tony Blair wants to do is cut benefits for single parent families.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/38321.stm

Such a hero.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

What does 'get out of the kitchen' mean?

"Get out of the Kitchen if you can't stand the heat"

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
I wonder what would have happened if Corbyns choice of candidate actually was selected

Makes u think

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
wasn't thatcher a big tony blair fan?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Gonzo McFee posted:

I like this one where after 18 years of Tory government the first thing Tony Blair wants to do is cut benefits for single parent families.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/38321.stm

Such a hero.

I like how your response to labour losing a by-election is to desperately search for ways of deflecting by googling Bad Labour Things from 20 years ago.

Don't Lol me
Sep 6, 2004

spectralent posted:

Yeah, but as I said, I suspect if he did go, that's exactly what'd happen, because every time we've seen someone come out directly to oppose Corbyn, he's been wrong by not agreeing with the tories in principle and quibbling on specifics; he was wrong for losing labour's economic credibility (actually opposing austerity), he's out of touch with the working class for not matching their views on globalisation (doesn't hate immigrants enough), he's thinks unions are good when obviously they're bad, etc etc. There's probably more examples but I'm lazy.

This mindset and the whole narrative in most of the media out there is something I just can't see changing for a while, and I have no real clue how it would be brought around without a huge amount of major failings. It's started to happen in some respects, with the whole fake news and other angles, but the whole apathy arising from the perception that votes don't change anything (even after the referendum) is really disturbing. Along with the lack of apettite to even inform themselves over basics (blame councils for cuts, benefits = lazy), and we're really in a bad way at the moment with a sizeable chunk of the population voting with ill informed emotion.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Jose posted:

wasn't thatcher a big tony blair fan?

Her favourite achievement was New Labour.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Fingerless Gloves posted:

I wonder what would have happened if Corbyns choice of candidate actually was selected

Makes u think

Makes me think Labour would have lost its deposit.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Pissflaps posted:

You don't like working class people so Tory governments are ok with you.

The working class are voting Tory and ukip.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Regarde Aduck posted:

The working class are voting Tory and ukip.

Because Labour is dying.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

I like how your response to labour losing a by-election is to desperately search for ways of deflecting by googling Bad Labour Things from 20 years ago.

You're the one pretending they were heroes to the working class and ignoring all evidence to the contrary. If he had delivered as much as you claimed then Labour wouldn't have so much trouble with UKIP.

And I've already said my feelings on this event before in the thread which agree that Corbyn should go but the lack of choice prevents me from voting for anyone else, but you'd rather be a bitter wee oval office as usual.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
On what basis would you be able to say that, flappy

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Gonzo McFee posted:

And I've already said my feelings on this event before in the thread which , but you'd rather be a bitter wee oval office as usual.

You're right I am bitter. I'm bitter about what's been done to the Labour Party, and the shithouse excuses being dredged up for it.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Weird you cut out the other bit that you couldn't answer. You do that a lot.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
as always:

note the spike on the right.

new labour's concept of redistribution involved broad social classes, not the relatively Americanised handful-of-fat-cats-vs-the-middle-classes perspective. slices of society as large as a third or a fifth, not the highly mobile 0.1%

this was, after all, still the early 1990s when it got going

hence, famously enough, its understanding of university tuition fees as an egalitarian move. the relatively well-off use more of it. the relatively worse-off get larger subsidies, if they use it at all. what's not to love?

it is not, perhaps, an ideology for success in the 2010s. but it's not obvious to me what egalitarian policy would succeed at the ballot box today. and hammering on about housing and national living wages likewise doesn't do much about that 0.1%, in wealth or income.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Pissflaps posted:

Because Labour is dying.

and its blair's fault

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Don't Lol me posted:

This mindset and the whole narrative in most of the media out there is something I just can't see changing for a while, and I have no real clue how it would be brought around without a huge amount of major failings. It's started to happen in some respects, with the whole fake news and other angles, but the whole apathy arising from the perception that votes don't change anything (even after the referendum) is really disturbing. Along with the lack of apettite to even inform themselves over basics (blame councils for cuts, benefits = lazy), and we're really in a bad way at the moment with a sizeable chunk of the population voting with ill informed emotion.

You would have thought the great financial crash would have been the "things can't go on like this" moment.

I guess it was, just the world got sold that "like this" was poor people having food, instead of rich people deciding whether or not they wanted to gently caress up everyone's wages today.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Jose posted:

and its blair's fault

Yeah it's definitely the fault of the guy that delivered three labour governments over a decade ago, and not the leader labour has now who everyone thinks is poo poo.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

Yeah it's definitely the fault of the guy that delivered three labour governments over a decade ago, and not the leader labour has now who everyone thinks is poo poo.

I'm glad you finally agree.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/DanielHewittITV/status/834966087276118017

Lol

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

mehall posted:

Can't do that for very important reasons.
Firstly, this cedes the argument to the Tories and UKIP that immigrants have been the cause of the problems, not inadequate funding.
Secondly, as a result of the first, the second you try and resume migration in the area, it will be a fight for every inch of the argument, since you already ceded the argument to the other side.

The problem is Labour have already lost the immigration argument, and now need to embrace it as its by far the biggest issue for a significant section of the voting populous. Turning the argument to be one that is fazed around that immigration needs to be controlled at a level where the country can support it would 'one up' the Tories as they already are indicating that they aren't going to stop much immigration (e.g. David Davis's comment still need for low skilled / low paid immigrants post Brexit). It would also make UKIP completely irrelevant.

As to what to do in a region once the levels are met, if its managed by a completely none political organisation ala the Bank of England, and they make the decisions then its out of any parties hands.

Pissflaps posted:

In 'safe' labour seats maybe.

After last night, I am not sure their are many safe Labour seats as the Tories are going to pounce on the missed opportunity in Stoke and try and make sure it doesn't happen again.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
I think it's fair to suggest that if the Labour left had succeeded against Kinnock's reforms, it would not have won 1992 or 1997. Holding a Labour government constant, a Labour right leader seems an inevitability.

The more interesting counterfactual, really, is what might have happened if President Gore did not drag Blair into Iraq.

ronya fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Feb 24, 2017

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

ukle posted:

The problem is Labour have already lost the immigration argument, and now need to embrace it as its by far the biggest issue for a significant section of the voting populous.

The problem with this problem is that it's monstrous. We need to stop the hatred of migrants before we start setting up loving camps.

ronya posted:

I think it's fair to suggest that if the Labour left had succeeded against Kinnock's reforms, it would not have won 1992 or 1997. Holding a Labour government constant, a Labour right leader seems an inevitability.

The more interesting counterfacual, really, is what might have happened if President Gore did not drag Blair into Iraq.

The mouldering corpse of hitler could've won in 1997. Maybe not to the extent that Blair did, but Blair had a lot of charisma (regrettably).

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Pissflaps posted:

its a very deep rot yes

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

I wonder if the cultural landmark imagery of 1997 is a major part of the problem; if New Labour had only squeaked a win there probably would have been far more voices saying it was because they'd moved too far away from their traditional base and they'd be having the same sort of discussion they're having now but 20 years earlier and in government.

And if it happened in the first parliament they'd get the drop on all the 9/11 inspired racism.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

spectralent posted:

The problem with this problem is that it's monstrous. We need to stop the hatred of migrants before we start setting up loving camps.

The mouldering corpse of hitler could've won in 1997. Maybe not to the extent that Blair did, but Blair had a lot of charisma (regrettably).

Paddy Ashdown would have outpolled the Fuhrer's corpse, and pundits today would rub their chins about the wise four who foresaw the doom of Labour and quit early, unlike the ex-Marxist fools who thought they could salvage the wreck.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

turns out ignoring your traditional voter base and leading the country into a deeply unpopular illegal war fucks your party

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

While I was googling the margins of the Labour win to check my facts I did find this interesting comment:

quote:

The first is that the ‘idea’ which lies behind Thatcherite and post-Thatcherite Conservatism has triumphed. It is not merely the triumph of the market. The way we think about and describe the world, the vocabulary we use, particularly in public life, has been transformed in the last twenty years. This vocabulary might be self-parodying or absurd – and often is – but it now has no competitor. It has thus been difficult for us even to imagine that the political vehicle of this victorious ideology – precisely because of its victory – could itself be defeated. It is here that 1997 differs most from 1945. Although people were surprised by Labour’s win in 1945, they knew that the ‘idea’ with which Labour was most associated had already won: the election simply brought Parliament into line with the mood of the country. In 1997 we can apparently rely on no such explanation.

The second reason is that the Conservative Party was never meant to be defeated. No other party in recent British history has worked so hard to ensure that it created a political system which could not be overturned. The colossal edifice created over the last 18 years was designed to exclude all political competition – partly by persuading people that no other party was legitimate or competent to govern, and partly by restructuring the electorate and the system of government so as to exclude the competition.

It seems particularly relevant given what I was saying earlier.

https://www.lrb.co.uk/v19/n13/ross-mckibbin/why-the-tories-lost Here if you care.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

spectralent posted:

People don't hate immigrants (at least, they didn't and they wouldn't), they hate the negative impact of the sheer number of immigrants on their lives. People want immigration reduced and controlled for the betterment of their own lives, not to spite immigrants. Yes, there are people who are violent and aggressive towards them, but that sort of person will always exist, there will always be racial hatred regardless.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

HJB posted:

People don't hate immigrants (at least, they didn't and they wouldn't), they hate the negative impact of the sheer number of immigrants on their lives. People want immigration reduced and controlled for the betterment of their own lives, not to spite immigrants. Yes, there are people who are violent and aggressive towards them, but that sort of person will always exist, there will always be racial hatred regardless.

trident would solve this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

ronya posted:

Paddy Ashdown would have outpolled the Fuhrer's corpse, and pundits today would rub their chins about the wise four who foresaw the doom of Labour and quit early, unlike the ex-Marxist fools who thought they could salvage the wreck.

Are you aware of the concept of hyperbole.

HJB posted:

Right, but the majority of Germany probably didn't viscerally hate the jews. The holocaust didn't happen because the entire neighbourhood got together for lynching and grandma packed sandwiches for the trip, it happened because a minority of people really hated the jews, and a quiet majority approved of those people so long as their lives seemed to get better and it wasn't too much bother.

And please, "sheer numbers" have not had a negative impact on people's lives. At least nothing close to what defunding and terrible regulation of capitalism have had.

• Locked thread