Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

C-Euro posted:

Hey I should go back and finish this game, it was fun but it has the issue (that other class-based jRPGs have) where you can't really mix and match jobs and skills until well into the game. In fact, the way the stats work in this game I almost felt like I was being punished for switching too many people's jobs at once.

Yeah, unfortunately the effect the job level has was a bit too steep in this game. It did give a 1% boost to all stats per job level and all that. But the real kicker was that it had a severe effect on your hit count, which was a big part of where most of your damage came from. Bravely Second toned down he effect job levels had on your hit count heavily, so you could swap jobs more easily in that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

ultrafilter posted:

I count 24 slots total (including Freelancer), which is only two more than the FFV SNES release had.

At a high level, how does the job system for this game compare to the one in FFV?

Most of the broken stuff you can pull off in this game was actually intentional, for one.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

The stat differences are completely negligible unless you are trying to optimize to a ridiculous degree. The stat changes the Jobs provide usually make up for it.

Also, first time I played this, I thought those two were gonna be recurring minibosses. So I was pretty surprised when it turned out that you actually killled them.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

With regards to speed, needing 21 more agility to outspeed something is false. In order to be guaranteed to outspend something, the character's agility needs to be greater than 1.25 times the agility stat of whatever they're trying to outspeed.

Annoyingly enough, they raised the speed randomization to up to 1.4 times in Bravely Second. :argh:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

The Bravely Default demo was just a bunch of fetch quests. It was really more to demonstrate the battle system. I don't think it had something of a plot, unlike Bravely Second's demo.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

The changes jobs make to stats are immediate. Jobs also increase your character's stats by 1% per job level, as well as affecting other factors like damage output. The latter effect was removed in Bravely Second.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

serefin99 posted:

You can change the encounter rate at will, right? Don't see much point in Lure Enemy...

Probably a holdover from the original game, where the encounter slider didn't exist. Said skill doesn't exist at all in Bravely Second.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Junpei posted:

But does it STACK with a maxed encounter rate for quick(er) grinding?

Yes.

And yeah, while Freelancer has stuff going for it, it's not really comparable to Final Fantasy 5's version. Though that's for the best, since there should be reasons to actually stay in the actual jobs. Freelancer is also a little odd in that the JP cost from leveling up to 13 to 14 is much bigger than the other classes.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I believe it's also used as an alternative method of input during battles for convenience if needed.

Either way, it doesn't get used that often.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Each special attack has a special buff that will be applied to your party for the duration, yes.

They're significantly more useful in this version of the game, since you couldn't fast-forward battles in the original release. So you can take a lot more actions while the song buffs are active.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

ulmont posted:

How badly does that handicap you? That is, aren't there bonuses for being a higher job level even discounting the abilities, that you'll be missing out on through constant job rotation?

Your damage output and hit rate heavily depend on the job level itself, which unfortunately hinders nearly every offensive job. You also get a 1% boost to all stats per job level on top of that, which makes switching jobs kind of a pain since the new job will be so weak.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Bravely Second didn't even bother with the custom roadblock messages. You straight up can't enter any dungeons in that game if you're not allowed to go there.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

They cutest detail about Ranger outfits is that their tails serve as the quiver for the arrows.

:psyboom: I never noticed that before. That's actually a pretty neat detail!

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Fun fact, Double Damage and Amped Strike actually had a set MP cost in the original release of the game. 18 MP for Double Strike and 99 MP for Amped Strike. I'm pretty sure you can see why those got nerfed to always eat up a specific amount of a party member's MP pool.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

The encounter manipulator didn't exist at all in the initial Japanese release of the game. Which would have made that sidequest a lot more annoying. Thank goodness we didn't have to deal with those on top of this nonsense!

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

ultrafilter posted:

The cost for Desperation is missing.

Desperation doesn't have a cost. Though yes, once you get it, there's pretty much no reason to use it over regular attacks. (Though Desperation loses out to several other abilities.)

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Welcome to the major point of suck in Bravely Default. We'll be here a while, so make yourselves comfortable.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I would also like to reiterate that the very first version of the game that was released in Japan did not have the encounter rate slider. Or the feature to fast forward through battles.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 06:14 on May 15, 2018

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Greyarc posted:

Don't worry, we'll be covering all the optional stuff. Every single side quest. That's really the only way viewers can get the full message of Bravely Default. How sane I'll be by the end of it, who knows, but at least it's being done in the noble service of free entertainment for strangers on the internet. Have a feeling I'll be ready to bury my Bravely Default cartridge in the ground complete with a little burial site by the time we're done.

I will be speeding through repetitive stuff for the most part as well, so that should make the whole deal more bearable for you guys.

I'm afraid to ask about the true extent to which you'll be covering them. Given that you covered all the variations on the cutscenes in the first four chapters.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Chapter 5 was yeah, not really well handled. Generally one of the appeals of repeating events like this is to see what changes and what can be changed. Not much of either happened in chapter 5. Chapter 6 on the other hand immediately comes out with Ringabel remembering things and Tiz actually being the one to die this time.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Omobono posted:

I'm confused. Is the party aware of the NG+ here? Or does that scene at the holy pillar happen no matter what?

It still happens, it's not NG+ exclusive.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Clarste posted:

This part is dumb. "Yeah, let's go along with her evil plan a little longer...because." It leads to the truer ending because the writers declared that it should, but there's no logical reason for the party to do this.

It's especially dumb because of how amazing it felt to make the choice to disobey Airy. So basically we're undoing that and saying that following the narrative mindlessly like a good little sheep is the proper way to play. Honestly I wish they'd switched how you go to the Normal Ending and the True Ending. I don't care about the plot details, they can always rewrite those.

Honestly, I think the game would have been far better received if the conditions for the endings were the other way around. Like you said, getting this ending was pretty dependent upon the player figuring out what to do and actually acting on it. It would have made the loops an interesting meta puzzle to solve instead of just going through the motions just because. Except what's going on now is doing... the opposite of that for some reason.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Oct 30, 2018

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Alxprit posted:

So what was there before, just the same unchanged refights as normal, or just nothing at all?

Basically the Chapter 6 boss fights. Again. And again.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

So this game originally didn't have these cool bonus fights AND it didn't have an adjustable encounter rate?

Yikes.

You are exactly correct. The original version of Bravely Default was not a good game.

Omobono posted:

:wtf::wtc:
WHAT
You were supposed to simply go awaken the crystals and be done with it?

Yeah, everything else was basically padding in that version.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

BisbyWorl posted:

My main issue is that they never explain why the Eternians soften up so much from world to world, they just wordlessly go from racking up atrocities like they're playing War Crimes Bingo to becoming a quirky yet ultimately harmless bunch of fools.

If it wasn't for the whole multiple dimensions thing they could have played it like a game-spanning redemption arc where you force them to admit their faults or change their views, but nope, the world 1 Eternians were assholes and got killed for it and now in this world they're outright helping you because ??????

The last 2 worlds have the outside explanation of just being added bonus content made to salvage a really bad core. (Otherwise everyone is stuck at their world 3 personae.) But inside where not many people were even aware of that? (Just look at the reactions in the thread when that got revealed.) Yeah it just comes out of nowhere. With that in mind, the world 3 versions weren't that much different from the world 1 versions, and are just slight deviations for the most part. Though little explanation is given there too. I guess you could say Yulyana had something to do with it given the test he gives the party there.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

As I recall, those Genomes make Vampire the One True Mage, able to bust out the damage cap whenever they drat well feel like it.

The problem with these Genomes is that they have a really high MP cost (I think it's 99 MP for all of them.) And there are far better ways to reach the damage cap without exhausting your entire MP pool. Also magic isn't really that great in Bravely Default.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Congratulations on finishing the LP!

I feel sorry for the people who had to play through the original version of the game. That could not have been fun to play through at all. Thank goodness the rest of the world got a somewhat salvaged version of it. Talk about a hard ball drop.