Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
That ladykiller in the town and intro cutscene that is clearly going to join the party is the best character in the game

it's not even close

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
I know job breakdowns will come later, but the Monk is notable for having the highest base HP in the game. At the level cap you are just shy of 9999 health. With some stuff you get later on to boost your health and subsequently double it you can have more health than these two first bosses

being able to tank multiple hits at the damage cap is rather cool in a JRPG like this

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wk_QyPykxZA

It's incredibly goofy

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Imagine the king is voice acted by Santa Claus and your mind will perfectly match the audio

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
All party members in, time for character music themes!

Tiz
Agnès
Edea :krad:
Ringabel

Shouldn't have spoilers unless you know Japanese. There used to be some cool translations of the lyrics on youtube before the media company that owns the music pulled all the videos.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Not the best healer in the game, but good for this part of it

sadly, being able to cast full strength spells on groups of enemies isn't as useful as one would hope

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
While Caldisla has a proper adventuring team for bosses, the next region certainly does not

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Bravely Second and Special Attacks were mechanics that felt superfluous in my playthrough. Either I had a system to survive a boss encounter or I didn't. Having a bit more damage didn't matter until the endgame where you could bumrush bosses down with a dozen damage cap attacks.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013

Commander Keene posted:

I also feel like there was some character derailment in Bravely Second. At least one guy ends up acting almost counter to how he does in this game, although it made him a more likeable character so I don't really mind.

If you are talking about the guy I think you are, I didn't believe him for a loving second even when I sided with him.

Black as pitch, forever.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Generally stealing from bosses will get you the equipment from the next geographic area. Next equipment merchant will likely have these stolen armors and weapons.

Thief Knife allows you to steal even without the thief job equipped. The steal rate is abysmal without the gloves, and even with them you sometimes run into bad luck streaks where you spend ten turns trying to steal something from a boss and it just won't take.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
The ability to buy BP is handy if you want to generate it without setting up some funky loadouts later in the game

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Is the man named after the continent, or is the continent named after the man

because the second sounds like somebody who's reaaaaaal full of themself

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
It was at this cave that I realized only man-made structures have secret halls and caves like this do not

after a lot of grinding against walls with the encounter rate set to 0

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
For this part of the game my assumption was that the Earth crystal going putrid is the source of the Great Chasm. Makes sense, the earth not working right causing the firmament beneath you to fall away.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
After finishing the sequel I actually still don't know what effect the Earth crystal being corrupted had

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
In the Merchant job fight when Khint flees Profiteur balks at the price asked for his service, saying it's on the scale of a national treasury. Khamer, being king, has access to such

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013

Blademaster_Aio posted:

But... Edea says she grew up together with Alternis Dim.

She doesn't seem to know Ringabel at all.

For all we know, that 'diary' could be a gift from one of Ringabel's many female acquaintances.

Also, for those of you who do know the answer...

No story spoilers.

This LP is never going to get to Deneb

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Forget the feral kid, Tiz is the real primal predator. Completely in tune with nature, both outside and inside of all animals

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

So yeah, this sidequest is hosed up.

Also, I'm surprised Airy had nothing to contribute to the scene of the fairies being killed.

Those are Florem fairies, Cryst fairies are completely different and indifferent to their flower-sniffing cousins

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
This world is black and white, and those black as pitch deserve the judgement she just now learned as a job skill

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
No way DeRosso can possibly be creepier or more evil than he is right at this second

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Fidangling with those doors is incredibly tedious and time-consuming, placing the blue chest near the end is just cruel

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Oh, her name is Oblige too? Never caught that before. I guess that's just the given family name for vestals in training?

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
When you get BP recovery and black magic Poison, you can give yourself a decent BP engine. Normally it's a spell you can only cast on one target, but the Black Magic capstone ability allows you to cast it on your whole party. A whole party getting +2 BP for the 1 BP spell cast.

But it gobbles 2 support slots, so it kills some of the more creative uses of those slots.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
I dunno, I played around with a few different fun setups for most of the game. It was really the final chapter fights that required some fine-tuning for specific loadouts. There were only two archetypes I stumbled into that flat don't work mechanically but we have yet to run into elements of those builds yet.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Every continent and major civilization has some ocean access except Eternia, which makes one wonder how they became a major world-conquering military force without a single ocean access town whatsoever

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Not a single ocean town whatsoever

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Looking forward to Barbarossa, the guy seems straight up jollier than other asterisk holders so far

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
It also feels real nice to beat up the bosses to the music they all have

the writing has some wrinkles, but I was excited to fight everyone for the combination gently caress Em/that music/new job

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Hartschild has a pretty good theme to it to

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Turns out the Fire Crystal is less literal fire and more metaphorical fires of war

activating the crystal immediately brings peace between the two sides

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Naturally, the Shieldbearers town is surrounded by pieces of oversized armor that shops are built into

except the massive overbearing mansion in the center, whoever lives in there must be really into themselves

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013

Quantum Toast posted:

I don't remember it being mentioned before this, but since there are five continents and Caldis didn't have a crystal, it's not hard to guess.

There is that weird frozen caldera in the north

and the Yulyana woods being considered a different land

and the Wind and Water crystals sharing the same continent

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
I never liked Axes much in this game. The accuracy penalty is killer, and using passive skills to boost your accuracy felt like I could use those slots for better purposes. Still, the Pirate job was nice for giving a hefty physical boost for using secondary job abilities.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Around this part of the game I was rolling with a party comp that relied heavily on Aspir and Drain

which has the opposite effect on undead enemies

I would not figure out that mechanic until my party was almost dead and wondering how these skeletons were hitting so hard

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Praline is bad, but more of a boring bad and less of a gently caress This Guy Into The Volcano bad that is Qada

we will get to him soon

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
If you have some good revive on two party members and high enough level you can power through this fight

if you have one party member with revive Qada loves to use the instant death attack on and perpetually one or two members down at a time scrambling to revive with phoenix downs while his regen undoes all the progress you make, this guy can eat all the dicks

all of them

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Abilities that change enemy target priority are HOT GARBAGE and I'm fairly confident they simply don't work even when hard-hitting enemies don't have massively damaging full party attacks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
It was a pretty great moment for Agnes, although I don't quite feel like it deserved it at this point

Egil being a nothing annoyance for an hour or two of game time at this point probably flattened my enthusiasm