Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Glazius posted:

Huh. Is this actually a Final Fantasy game with a single hub town? That's actually a neat approach if so.

We haven't gotten to the first boss yet. It's too soon to say whether or not Tiz and Agnes will stay near Caldisla or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Speedrunners just make everyone monks with white magic at about this point, until something more synergistic becomes available. It's good, consistent DPR.

As you might expect, Tiz's natural stats lean towards the Monk's specialty, while Agnes' point her towards White Mage.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Junpei posted:

You can usually tell if an enemy's description was written by Ringabel just from the way it was written. Focus on feminine humanoids and you'll usually hit the mark.

They're all written by Ringabel.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Junpei posted:

I know how the game ends and it's themes and all, and I still cannot figure out what "Sit and Stay are tricks for dogs" means.

It means that the party isn't going to listen to anyone who tells them not to try fixing things.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

She's seen them at the start of the chapter, and knew about how bloodthirsty they'd become then.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Yeah, the implication is that Artemia and Mephilia were victims of DeRosa's nonsense. Were it not for him, they probably would've been as reasonable as Einheria.

The fact that DeRosa was willing to do something shady like this to his boss' daughter also bodes unwell.

Einheria let all of this slide for years. She's sane in comparison, but I wouldn't call her reasonable.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Commander Keene posted:

That brings up a good point. We were led to believe that the oceans were blighted because the Water Crystal had become corrupted, but Olivia's barrier prevented that until her death at the hands of Victoria. What had rotted the oceans, then?

Olivia's barrier was put up after the crystal was corrupted, (but before Rukalsha turned up,) as a stopgap measure to keep things from getting worse.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Greyarc posted:

Eternia: villainous anti-Crystalists or misunderstood Halloween costume enthusiasts?

At this point, it looks like they've started scraping the bottom of the job class barrel.

But then you look at other games and realize you ain't seen nothing yet.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Blind Duke posted:

I never liked Axes much in this game. The accuracy penalty is killer, and using passive skills to boost your accuracy felt like I could use those slots for better purposes. Still, the Pirate job was nice for giving a hefty physical boost for using secondary job abilities.

Well, accuracy only matters for normal attacks, and you've had physical attack skills since the Knight.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

ultrafilter posted:

Is Praline the first minor we've killed? I guess we're branching out now.

Perhaps you weren't paying attention, but she handed the party's asses to them.
On another note, there's no way someone that tall is a minor.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

It's not hard to get the Angel Bow really early. Like, Chapter 1 early. It helps make the Thief and Ranger the standout attackers of the early game.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Glazius posted:

Yeah, this has been a good read.

I have to wonder how these summon guys managed to survive the anti-Crystalist purge. I suppose they'd find it easier than most to fly to safety.

They're probably not affiliated with the Crystalists (or anybody else, really), just taking shelter in the ruins because they suit their purposes.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

hey girl you up posted:

At least do me the courtesy of a throwaway line and some action on the party's part :colbert:. "Oh no, the antidote isn't working because he turned himself to stone of his own volition so this must be a poison even [quogue or whatever idk his name] hasn't seen before!"

FF7 made a serious misstep there. Perhaps making it worse, there was a throwaway line but it was not only part of a completely separate scene, it's also either optional or outright dummied out.
Zangan notes that when he was carrying Tifa away from the Nibelheim massacre, he had to use a lot of heal spells on her because her injuries were resisting the magic and reopening. On the other hand, even if the Masamune leaves wounds that don't heal, Aeris wasn't killed with the real Masamune, so...

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Here we see what might be Braev's biggest mistake that didn't involve hiring sociopaths - claiming that the sudden darkness-encrusted and monster-possessed state of the crystals, which was wrecking the planet, is natural.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

There can never be a satisfying answer to the question: Why was Eternia so pointlessly evil? The most we can do is find funny answers.

My personal favorite is one I like to call the "Council of d6"

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Edea lashes out against Alternis for all the things that he did the previous time. What she has forgotten in the heat of the moment is that this is not the Alternis who did all that. Meanwhile, Alternis realizes that this isn't the Edea he knows, and is able to focus more on his real mission instead of staying wrapped up in his obsessions like the last one did.

...Where has this Alternis been, anyway?

MightyPretenders fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Aug 7, 2018

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Kith posted:

Considering the differences between the first and second loops, I'm somewhat expecting the third's denizens to be even further departed from their first loop incarnations. Part of me kind of wants the loops to keep going in that fashion until the world deteriorates to the point of becoming a completely unrecognizable facsimile of itself.

That does seem to be the direction they're going.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

I was waiting to see how you'd handle this.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

The simplicity of that boss battle makes it hard for me to believe that Airy's record is anywhere near as long as she says it is.

But yeah, the "Angnes only met Airy at the chasm right before we saw her" is thrown in here at the last minute.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

GimmickMan posted:

Huh, I was expecting that the true end would come from ignoring the Sage and DeRosso's advice, not to need a NG+. I guess forcing you to go through at least one more crystal cycle (possibly more?) is thematic but I'm a little concerned it will feel choreish like redoing Chapter 5 was.

Well, you were right. You don't need to do this detour at all. Just obey Airy and you'll continue the countdown...

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Well, we're all looking forward to the ending.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Probably about time I explained some of my "Council of D6" theory, huh?

See, DeRosso and Yulyana figured out early on that multiple worlds were involved. But as far as they knew, they were the only ones who got that warning, and one world's resources wouldnt be enough to stop the bad guy. So they decided they had to split the world they started out on into as many as possible. Every time they're faced with a decision, they add an unnecessary random element - flip a coin, roll a die, draw cards out of a hat, whatever. By doing this, the single root world where an Angel showed up splits into a huge number - meaning more universes where Airy has to deal with people who know what's up. Braev is also in on this and rolls dice when no one is looking.

Unfortunately, we started off in the world where Braev got a record number of "Do the stupid thing" or "Do the evil thing" rolls.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Congratulations on beating the final boss.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

You really shouldn't lie like that. Second takes place back in the world we started out on After a few tricked out temporal rescues, and follows up on this team - who killed Ouroborous.

MightyPretenders fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Feb 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Natural 20 posted:

I don't remember anything in Second suggesting anyone went back in time to alter the first world? Even if that is the case I suppose my argument still applies in that Bravely Default's true ending is a bad one.

Well, a certain "man in green" did. Some of the Eternians mention it, though why the time-traveler bothered with them is never explained.