Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

I’m still planning to do a write-up soon, but let me answer some stuff first:

Akratic Method posted:

Anyway, thanks for taking this journey so I didn't have to. Glad you didn't get your house invaded by a cross-dimensional hell dragon in the process.
It was a close call, but yeah

NGDBSS posted:

I'm curious on your thoughts of this versus Chaos Rings, another independently made Square-Enix game with a similar plot of "stop the thing that wants to destroy all dimensions". In particular I remember CR hinting at the true nature of things a lot earlier and integrating the cooperation between dimensions into gameplay rather than just a cutscene out of nowhere.
I missed this one! Will have to take a look at it.

ZeButler posted:

However, since you have now teased us with cat pictures, I'm going to have to demand seeing the cat's face when it's not filtered by the game.

DGM_2 posted:

I'm not sure that explains it. If Airy had to wait 5000 years for a shattered crystal to regenerate even once - and the fact that she knows exactly how long it takes suggests that she has - the party should be long dead of old age by the time she gets to the next world. She would never catch up to them in the timeline again.
Good point, but in any case, like most plots, the whole plan falls apart if it’s no longer constrained in some way by linear time. It’s so easy for time travel to wreck a story if it’s done without care, so having them tack on stuff like that in the ending just makes the whole thing ridiculous.

AriadneThread posted:

yeah the story is mess but i thought the gimmicks at the end there were cute

anyway, congrats! you did it, you lp'd the whole game, at last you're free
I love the final battle’s gimmicks in theory; they're cheesy and fun. I don’t think I’d be nearly as passionate about the game if it didn’t take so many ideas that're so fun in theory and wrap them in such a frustrating package.

Also, yeah, am free :yayclod:

DeafNote posted:

I can understand where all the negativity comes from, but I dont regret getting and playing this game for even a second.

Natural 20 posted:

So I love Bravely Default, like "I played this game to completion 3 times" love.
Bravely Default’s got a hell of a lot of good stuff going for it, so I can’t blame folks for liking it at all. Any judgment of a work’s always gonna be a somewhat subjective thing, and if the game hits the right notes for you, then that’s how it is.

Mizuti posted:

Games like this are frustrating. It was so close to being wonderful, and then the second half of it collapses. Thanks for exploring it in depth, Greyarc. It takes a long time to do that.
:respek::unsmith:

TwoPair posted:

Not to tell you how to run your own LP, Greyarc, but you missed out on Ouroboros' neat gimmick in his final phase.
You know, that’s something I was going to add and frankly just forgot at the last minute. I’ll go back later and edit in at least a mention.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

I hope you plan on adding this to the LP Archive since it's exhaustive and very informative about the goods and the bads of the game.
Glad to hear that. I know there are a few missed details, but the large majority of the game’s story content should be documented here. Hoping to get it on the Archive, though it’ll take a while to prep and get that all sorted out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

Here's a post-game commentary to wrap this up:

Thanks to all of you who read and commented on my first LP! It was a big project, but part of what kept me going was that I always looked forward to hearing how you guys would respond to the game’s next big plot point. Here’s to you guys. :cheers: Props also go to the people who’ve dug up Bravely Default info on GameFaqs and the Final Fantasy wiki, especially Sailor_Nemesis, who was able to put together a comprehensive list of the game’s event viewer scenes which I used as a main point of reference. Their documentation was invaluable.

As I’ve said other places, my goal with the Bravely Default LP was to show off a game’s storytelling in a way which would highlight not only where the it failed but where it succeeded. This LP was also done as a way to test my skills in both a personal and professional context. I’m tentatively willing to say the project was a success on all counts, though I know my commentary and editing was far from perfect. It was especially difficult to find a balance between showing the weakest, most repetitive points of the game and keeping the LP entertaining to read.

Although earlier on I was open to following up with an LP of Bravely Second, the sequel, I have no plans nor time to do so at the moment. If anyone else wants to go ahead, you’ve got my blessing. I deliberately left out the teaser movie so whoever does the sequel can have a fresh go at showing that off. Doing a completionist LP was even more time-consuming than I thought, so although I’d like to do more LPs someday, I may go about it in a different way, at least unless I find a game I'm as interested in dissecting as Bravely Default.

I’m planning to get this on the Archive so it’ll be up for the public. I joined SA because of the Archive, so I’m excited to finally add my own project.

Again, thanks to those of you who read through the whole thing. I really appreciate it.

ZeButler posted:

That is a good cat.
I will let him know and give him a treat.

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

...And this LP is now up on LPArchive: https://lparchive.org/Bravely-Default

So it's time to shut this thread down for good. Thanks again to all who read and participated!