Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Oh awesome, a Bravely Default LP. I've never played it myself, but after listening to some of the songs on Youtube I tracked down an LP of it there and watched it. Definitely a fun watch, and I understand not being able to do video, although it is a shame since the music and voice acting is top-notch.

I also found it refreshing that the villains in the game will in fact die when defeated in battle instead of just running away or being allowed to run away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Wow, that's a lot of information given to you. That's more information and clues than I was expecting. I don't think I shall say any more.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
By the way, a little tip. If you're planning to have this game up on the LP Archive, I believe the script used for archiving does something like look for every post by the OP with more than two images, and use the first bolded sentence as the page header. So it might be a good idea to go back and add in Entry X: Entry Title here to the top of your updates and get in the habit of doing it for future updates.

Just a little suggestion.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Edea, you don't seem to be cut out for soldiering. As far as I can tell, the Sky Knights haven't harmed civilians, only soldiers. Your country is at war with Caldisla, which means soldiers from both sides will kill each other. It sucks, but soldiers and the king are legitimate targets in a time of war.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Blind Duke posted:

After finishing the sequel I actually still don't know what effect the Earth crystal being corrupted had

My impression was that all the crystals were corrupted at once, and the corruption of the Earth crystal was responsible for the collapse of Norende. But that's just a guess.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

hey girl you up posted:

Yes, so strange that a new character would come by when the amnesiac is conveniently missing for an incredibly stupid reason.

Now, the question is: very dumb plot contrivance, intentional on the part of Rinagbel or Dim, or truly a coincidence? I'm gonna go with number 1 for now.

Blademaster_Aio posted:

I guess he could be spying on us and waited for the fourth guy to leave before attacking us... maybe.

Just a note: we've already seen Dim in Eternia (presumably) while Ringabel was with the party in the Inner Sea (both before and after the cutaway to the villains).

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Since generally speaking, the main reason for the focus on women's beauty is (or rather was) for the woman to attract the eye of a man so she could marry him and be provided for, it is an extraordinarily strange thing to have this focus on being the most beautiful happening in a town where literally zero men are allowed to live. All the women are the owners of the stores and property and are their own providers.

And of course any single-gender settlement has problems with population replacement and raises all sorts of questions. They must have a fresh influx of women walking across the monster-infested lands to reach Florem constantly. Are male children allowed to live there? If not does that mean one of those wandering young mothers is turned away? If so, is the kid kicked out at 16 or so from the only home he's known?

Florem just doesn't really work that well if you think about it for even a short time.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 11, 2017

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Karen Strassman delivers a fantastically unhinged performance as Mephilia.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Epsilon Moonshade posted:

This always struck me as odd, though. Is he just so deep into the red pill (:v:) thing that he doesn't even acknowledge Edea's existence? Even if this is the case, doesn't Edea know (or at least know of) him? Something doesn't add up here.

The diary indicates that he's been here for at least three years. I think Edea was in training for that time. She's basically a green recruit, no reason for her to know all the soldiers and operations, and in fact her father probably tried to keep as much of that away from her as possible.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Button mashing is already annoying. What's even worse is button mashing which interrupts you to tell you to keep on button mashing!!!

But I'm glad that we're out of Chapter 2. I think the plot and game really start to pick up from here, at least for a while.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

RedMagus posted:

I guess I'll ask the obvious question: Ringabell, are you our black knight? cause that wound having is a BIT conspicuous when paired with your other disappearance.

The game was incredibly blatant hinting at that. Almost too blatant.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
It kinda seems to me that that conversation between Kamiizumi and Qada seems like it should have happened 4 years ago. It's only really happening now for the benefit of the party.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Once again, I have to be baffled at how exactly Eternia gets around the world if the only way in is to fly, but their own airships can't get high enough.

I guess they might keep their offensive airships down at the coast level, and keep all their high-altitude airships up on the highlands and ferry troops down to transfer, then turn the high-altitude airships around and fly it back up?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Oh boy, here we are.

YggiDee posted:

Let's also not forget that sequence where Ringabel immediately needed to go offscreen for whatever reason, and then Alternis shows up to yell at the party, and then once Alternis leaves Ringabel comes back from the ship's engine room. Combine that with the fact that Alternis sounds like Ringabel shouting into a metal funnel, and most players weren't very surprised.

Also, :munch:

That might have been done to try and get players to assume that Alternis and Ringabel were one and the same, so that the twist that there are actually TWO of them would be surprising, but maybe not. That idea gets immediately undercut with various scenes cutting back to the Council of Six at a time when Ringabel could not have reasonably disappeared from the party. Most notably on the boat from Caldisla to Ancheim, there's a scene like that. Were we supposed to believe that mid-voyage, Ringabell slipped off the ship, caught an airship to Eternia for a meeting, then returned without anyone noticing?

Those Council of Six scenes would have been better handled with some kind of long-distance magical communication.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Omobono posted:

What happened to the party? Or rather, not our party but the original instances. It's going to be embarrassing when Ringabel goes full Ringabel on two Edeas

I think that's one of the major plot holes.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Well, fair enough, it's been some years since I saw the non-SA LP of this on Youtube, I might be mis-remembering.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

EggsAisle posted:

So it's sort of like New Game+ built into the storyline. That doesn't seem so terrible at first blush, but I've been following along blind. Guess we'll see where this goes! Awesome LP, by the way, been lurking from the very beginning.

And if that's all it was, it wouldn't be considered to be as notorious/terrible as it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

GimmickMan posted:

As an until-recently-blind LP reader, this was the first mention of the Harrowing as far as I'm concerned. It's possible I missed it (my eyes sometimes glaze over the massive walls of text, I admit), but even Greyarc can't find anything so... Bravely Default, everyone!

An excellent analysis of this game's soundtrack popped up on my youtube recommendations and welp now I'm spoiled about the end boss of the game. I appreciate this game a lot more now though! People seem down on this chunk of the game but I really want to see how it meets fails to deliver expectations!

My first experience of the game was a Youtube video which was the music for a late-game boss fight, but I avoided reading the comments and managed to remain unspoiled until after watching a VLP of the game.