Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/FOXSportsAUS/status/832378117188509697

Which one of you is working for Fox Sports?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Ross Cameron quotes Gandhi while maintaining a Liberal rage

Former Liberal MP Ross Cameron is unrepentant after being suspended by the NSW Liberals for 4.5 years, declaring himself to be in open dissent against the party’s constitution.

Speaking on Sky News today, Mr Cameron said he was booted from the party because he supported reform within the NSW division and for his public claim in October that Mike Baird’s position as Premier had been threatened by the factions over his advocacy for greater democratisation of the state branch.

“I plead not guilty. And I am in a situation of conscientious dissent from the media regulation and opinion regulation provisions of the constitution of the NSW division of the Liberal Party,” Mr Cameron said.

“I believe it was Mahatma Gandhi who said there is no virtue in obeying an unjust law. In fact, it is your duty to disobey an unjust law and that is what I am doing.

“The specific offence of which I am accused is to come here onto Sky News at this desk ... and make the statement, which I had learned ... that Mike Baird had been warned as Premier that if he continued to support the cause of democratic reform of the Liberal Party, of giving members of the party a vote in preselections, that the faction now controlled the numbers in the party room, and the faction now had the power to replace him with Gladys Berejiklian, and if he continued to support democratic reform the faction would do so.

“That is the statement for which I have been suspended by the party for 4.5 years.”

Mr Cameron garnered criticism earlier this month for his remarks at a controversial fundraising dinner for the hard right Q Society in which he said the NSW division of the Liberal Party was “basically a gay club.”

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...011ced223bb7759

The NSW division of the Liberal Party is basically a gay club.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Newspoll soon comrades.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Anidav posted:

Tonight right?

Yessss.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Xerxes17 posted:

I was thinking about this while walking to work in Saint Petersburg. If we want to fix housing affordability, commuting and etc, we need to have medium/high density apartment blocks around metro stations, and also within the city and not on the fringes. Like, I don't want there to be nothing but the apartment blocks, but the Metro system is a public good and should be serving the maximum amount of people possible within walking distance. If you want to have your backyard block and a car, well you'll have to live some distance from a metro station.

But good loving luck acquiring the land, defeating the NIMBYs and getting people to support public transport.

Sounds like what they are trying to do with the light rail in Canberra.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/rpy/status/835770761679785984

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Brown Paper Bag posted:

https://twitter.com/Leroy_Lynch
#Newspoll
TPP: ALP 55 (+1) L/NP 45 (-1)
Primaries: Coalition 34, Labor 37, Greens 10, One Nation 10, Others 9
1582 sample. Feb 23-26 #auspol

#Newspoll
Turnbull: Satisfied 29, Dissatisfied 59
Shorten Satisfied 30, Dissatisfied 56
Better PM: Turnbull 40, Shorten 33
#auspol

https://twitter.com/Leroy_Lynch/status/835806476773961728

I would blow Dane Cook fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Feb 26, 2017

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Starshark posted:

c'mooon someone knife Shorten and replace him with... erm... me!

couldn't do a worse job lol

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
What's that Skip? GDP figures out Wednesday? Technical Recession?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yTfvdGM21s

I would blow Dane Cook fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Feb 26, 2017

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

NPR Journalizard posted:

theguardian has a fantastic cartoonist

Mods??

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
:sad:

quote:

Liberal ‘deplorables’ tried to bring Malcolm Turnbull undone

A group of conservative Liberal MPs calling themselves “the deplorables” held regular phone hook-ups after last year’s close election result to co-ordinate a strategy to attack Malcolm Turnbull on several policy fronts and to get Tony Abbott back into cabinet.

The hook-ups throughout the second half of last year were instigated by Mr Abbott and Eric Abetz via calendar invites and group texts, with the pair chairing meetings that included directives to junior MPs to use the media to pressure the Turnbull government on issues such as Safe Schools and amending section 18C of the Racial Discrimination Act.

They also sought to position conservative MPs for a fight over same-sex marriage if Mr Turnbull moved to a free vote once the plebiscite was defeated in parliament, arguing any change of policy would be a leadership issue.

The other MPs involved included Kevin Andrews, Michael Sukker, Rick Wilson, Andrew Hastie, Zed Seselja, Ian Goodenough, Cory Bernardi, Nicolle Flint, Jonathon Duniam, Craig Kelly, Scott Buchholz and Tony Pasin.

The strategy was designed to avoid Mr Abbott having to personally push too hard on various policy fronts, given he publicly declared there would be “no sniping” the day after he was removed as prime minister. It included frequent group text messaging. Senator Abetz and new South Australian MP Flint arranged get-togethers in their offices during sitting weeks.

However, support for the plan progressively eroded, as some of those involved started to feel they were being used, while others were silenced following promotion to the frontbench.

“He wanted clean hands,” one MP said of Mr Abbott. “So we were co-opted into the attacks.” Junior members of the group had thought the meetings were purely to discuss strategies as to how to press Mr Turnbull on conservative policy positions, before realising that “more sinister ­motives were at play”, as one participant put it.

Revelations of the plotting will only add to internal tensions following last Friday’s spat between Mr Turnbull and Mr Abbott. “The outbursts you’re now seeing from Tony have happened because the hook-ups didn’t produce the ­results he was looking for,” one participant said. “Most of us quickly came to realise this was about personalities, not policy.”

Some MPs included in the invitations when contacted by The Australian expressed frustration at what they described as “spam ­requests” they didn’t want or seek to be a part of.

One text from Senator Abetz read: “MYEFO took plebiscite funding out of the forward estimates. How can it be our policy if we don’t intend to fund it?”

In another text Mr Hastie suggested the use of the term “the ­deplorables” to describe the group, a reference to Hillary Clinton’s comments about Donald Trump supporters in the lead up to the US presidential election.

NSW MP Craig Kelly sent a text shortly after the group formed saying “I’m out” because he didn’t want to be part of a campaign of ­organised undermining of the government. More pointed criticisms of Mr Turnbull and strategies for promoting Mr Abbott’s political redemption were confined to the discussions rather than put in texts. One MP said Senator Bernardi’s decision to leave the Liberal Party earlier this month was in part as a consequence of the realisation that some conservatives were plotting to do to Mr Turnbull what Mr Turnbull and his supporters had done to Mr Abbott, and “he didn’t want any part of that”.

While Senator Bernardi was in New York last year, one group text directed his way declared “Dark Knight — Laundy occupied your seat” in the partyroom. Craig Laundy is a supporter of retaining 18C and was one of the MPs who plotted Mr Abbott’s removal.

Some of those involved formed the view the government was better off to “win or lose” with Mr Turnbull so conservatives couldn’t be blamed for a defeat. A member of the group recalled: “Tony became increasingly frustrated that nobody was following through.”

The escalation in tensions last week prompted members of the “deplorables” to open up about the strategy Mr Abbott and Senator Abetz embarked on last year.

Several participants in the exchanges last year told The Australian that the intervention of conservative minister Mathias Cormann, slapping down Mr ­Abbott for his remarks on Friday, was a marker for other conservatives to distance themselves from the former leader. “It’s all about Tony, that’s what most of us have come to realise,” one said.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...f9a7b3847a05218

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/HuffPostAU/status/836027025773182979

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/836021684712792064

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
“He is the prime minister under God - I consider that a sacred office and I would be loathe to push a spill motion or do any of those sorts of things which people are somehow suggesting,” he told Perth radio station 6PR

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
As the old saying probably goes, those who forget the immediate past are doomed to repeat it exactly 12 months later.

At this exact time last year the leader of the opposition, Bill Shorten, was criticising Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull for his inability to control his backbench following a provocative speech by Tony Abbott. If this sounds familiar it's because it's happened with impressive regularity every couple of weeks since September 2015.

But there's something that you might have missed in all the sound and fury. And it is this: there's a good chance that 2017 will close with Peter Dutton as our next prime minister.

Tony Abbott knows it, which is why he's desperately attempting to assert some sort of authority over the Liberal Party with his hilarious five point plan, aka the Do As I Say And Not Literally As I Did Back When I Was In Power God Please Look At Me list.

If the Liberals plan to get rid of Turnbull – and the horror polls today are telling them that something needs to change if they plan on maintaining government, and they've shown that they're not remotely willing to do something as cowardly as change their actual policies – then the conservatives have to have a provide a plausible leadership contender, and that talent pool is both shallow and tepid.

Dutton, however, has so many advantages for a Liberal Party splitting under internal beefs, fracturing with its Coalition partners and terrified of the rise of One Nation. For example:

1. He's not remotely clever

Abbott and Turnbull were both Rhodes scholars, and Turnbull's big selling point was that he understood complicated things like the economy and policy.

That "knowing what you're talking about" thing is so 2015: these days you need a leader who can't construct a coherent sentence, neither understands nor trusts data, and who angrily follows their basest instincts and bitterest feelings rather than good sense or basic logic.

The man accidentally sent a text to the person it was about. He thinks climate change is an insensitive, poorly delivered joke. He can't even express policy in his own portfolio without it being wrong.

That's Trump. That's Hanson. That's Dutton.

2. He was making a point of not caring about vulnerable people before it was cool

Most of the Liberal Party have the grave disadvantage of having at least made lip service to the rights of Muslims or the successes of multiculturalism in the past.

Dutton, meanwhile, walked out on the apology to the Stolen Generation, has deported New Zealanders to Christmas Island, and there's the deaths, assaults and rapes that have occurred to those held in offshore detention on his watch.

Heck, has Pauline Hanson stripped legal aid from asylum seekers and then given them an impossible deadline to complete their highly detailed legal documents to prove their refugee status?

If today's conservative voter is looking for a leader ready to teach them uppity immigrants/original inhabitants a thing or two, Dutton is head and shoulders above the fray.

3. The right of the party have literally no choice

The Coalition is hanging by a thread at the moment and needs someone that can unite the terrified, angry, populist elements of the Nationals and the Liberals - and as a Queenslander who is technically a member of both parties, Dutton can bring the angry, angry healing.

But his biggest advantage is that the government have no other choice right now.

Turnbull neatly hobbled his two most obvious rivals when he took power by making deputy Liberal leader Julie Bishop seem disloyal by association, and guaranteed Scott Morrison couldn't possibly challenge by making him treasurer. It's a poisoned chalice, for anyone that does well in the role just makes the PM look smart for having appointed them, and anyone who does badly in the role - like, say, Morrison - ruins any credibility they might have had.

Of the next generation of Liberal high-flyers, Josh Frydenberg's not ready for the gig, and Christian Porter is almost certainly about to plonked into the attorney-general chair when Turnbull announces in the next few weeks that George Brandis is taking a well-deserved trip to become the new UK High Commissioner, rather than stick around and be implicated in the increasingly dangerous-looking investigation into the Bell Group.

And sure, it's hard to imagine that Dutton will lead the Coalition to anything other than a landslide defeat - but won't it be exciting to finally have someone to replace Billy MacMahon as Australia's greatest joke of a PM?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Holy lol the unions are running a Robocall on penalty rates in George Christensen's electorate.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

This is bloody amazing.

Also Mike Baird had taken a job at NAB :sad:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/PhillipCoorey/status/836366896899371008

https://twitter.com/Qldaah/status/836147115784970241

https://twitter.com/seanparnell/status/836349161289076738

I would blow Dane Cook fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Feb 28, 2017

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Mods name change please.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

open24hours posted:

What does the marriage alliance flag look like?

The jokes write themselves.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Nobody post the picture.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Estimates hearings are the worst. Let's get in some Commissioner that earns 500k a year or something then ask them stupid questions.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/sunriseon7/status/836674142443220992/video/1

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/836790250168967168

https://twitter.com/srpeatling/status/836790991377969152

https://twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/836792345983004674

https://twitter.com/cochl/status/836792402908086272

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
First Dog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

The Brisbane tradie sponsoring a prominent neo-Nazi website

A Queensland tradie has emerged as the sole corporate sponsor of one of the world's most popular neo-Nazi websites, drawing condemnation from a Jewish civil rights organisation.

Simon John Hickey, a Brisbane electrician and airconditioner installer whose business logo appears to feature Pepe the Frog, a meme that has become popular with the alt-right, wearing an SS uniform and standing in front of Auschwitz, wouldn't answer questions posed by Fairfax Media.

He instead emailed through comments criticising the "Lame Stream Media Fake News" and referencing Donald Trump's claim the media was the "enemy of the American people".

Anti-Defamation Commission chairman Dvir Abramovich described the logo as "one of the ugliest and most disturbing" things he'd ever seen and slammed Mr Hickey's support for the prominent Daily Stormer website.

Andrew Anglin of the Daily Stormer, described by America's Southern Poverty Law Center and many others as a neo-Nazi site, claimed to have engaged Mr Hickey's company, Smerff Electrical, as a corporate sponsor on February 3.

The Daily Stormer features sections including "Jewish Problem" and "Race War", regularly uses racist slurs and Mr Anglin has identified as a Nazi.

It has recently featured articles headlined "Jews Destroy Another One of Their Own Graveyards to Blame Trump", "Milk: The New Frontier of White Supremacy" and "Trump Refuses Invitation to human being-Jew Fake News Dinner Party".

Mr Anglin didn't respond to a request for comment.

Dr Abramovich said he wondered how Mr Hickey's customers would react if they knew that he was supporting such a "dark, perverse and extremist ideology".

"This is wrong on so many counts and makes me sick," he said, in a statement.

"We are deeply shocked to see such a public and unabashed display of hatred in our midst. There is nothing funny or amusing about this racist and abhorrent image of Pepe the Frog as a SS soldier in the Auschwitz death camps where nearly 1.5 million people were murdered and gassed.

"(It) has become a calling-card for the White-Supremacist movement and they have used this particular cartoon widely on social media to normalise and to promote their repulsive agenda of intolerance and xenophobia so as to recruit new members."

Mr Hickey didn't answer questions about the sponsorship or apparent use of Nazi symbols in his logo.

"It doesn't matter what I say to you guys in the fake news, you will lie, twist and selectively edit any response I give to suit your own story and paint me in a negative light," he said, in a statement.

"The simple matter is - if our media had even a scrap of credibility left, people wouldn't seek their news and information elsewhere.

"The Lame Stream Media Fake News never ending lies spread by you people are rapidly drawing to an end, and for most of us it can't come fast enough."

He also threatened legal action if his response was not posted in full. Fairfax Media wasn't legally compelled to publish the full email but has chosen to do so below.

The Electrical Safety Office has taken action against Smerff Electrical and another of Mr Hickey's businesses, Air Conditioner Expert, on two separate occasions, a spokesman said.

In 2013, it issued an improvement notice following a complaint about electrical work and last year it asked the company to take remedial action over a "sexist" Gumtree ad.

"ESO will look into claims Smerff Electrical is using the business address of another company and will take appropriate action if required," a spokesman said, in relation to another complaint.

Electrical Trades Union organiser Wendel Moloney said the man wasn't a union member and the ETU stood for a more inclusive type of society.

"I don't even know if it's a real business advertisement," he said.

"It looks like it's just a stitch-up, some intellectual giant with nothing better to do with his time."

But Mr Hickey is registered as an electrician and a contractor in Queensland, and trading as Smerff Electrical out of another business's address at Hillcrest, a suburb of Logan, south of Brisbane.

Fairfax Media spoke to a former supplier and a former customer of the company, which was also registered to Mr Hickey with ASIC, where its principal place of business was listed in the neighbouring suburb of Underwood.

The Smerff Electrical website features an origin story of sorts about the business, detailing the owner's complaints about safety regulations and his sacking for "not wearing his fluffy velvet mittens".

"The horror!" It was like a new holocaust all over again," the site reads.

"The human being PPE safety inspector was shocked."

The website is registered to the Landser Trust, which is linked to Mr Hickey's Air Conditioner Expert business, and also features a section called Rassenkrieg - German for race war.

Internet archive searches appear to show that it underwent a significant redesign in early February, which added the new logo and confirmation of the Daily Stormer sponsorship.

"We call on political and communal leaders to stand up and to say that there is no room in our community for such expressions of prejudice and discrimination," Mr Abramovich said.

Mr Hickey's statement to Fairfax Media, in full:

Hi Jorge,

It doesn't matter what I say to you guys in the fake news, you will lie, twist and selectively edit any response I give to suit your own story and paint me in a negative light. The simple matter is - if our media had even a scrap of credibility left, people wouldn't seek their news and information elsewhere. The Lame Stream Media Fake News never ending lies spread by you people are rapidly drawing to an end, and for most of us it can't come fast enough. The insane far left agenda pushed by the western worlds media has been exposed for the fraud that it is after their coverage of Hilary Clintons (sic) election loss. Trump has called you out as the enemies of the (American) people. However in your case, replace that with Australian. You can't keep people in the dark forever Jorge. We know your game.

Is that a veiled threat to my business and livelihood in your email? The 'stump up your own hard earned to support it'. What are you trying to say Jorge? That the left would attempt to silence any opposition or support of opposing views by any means necessary so they don't have to debate their insane ideas in the public arena? Come on now Jorge, we all know the left would never resort to such gutter tactics. Why would you not publish this statement in full Jorge? Are you hiding something on the orders of Fairfax Jorge?

The West has enetered (sic) a new era with the change of leadership in the USA, and one can only hope that once the swamp has been drained there, we can begin draining this one. Exposing all the traitor press members willing to lie to the nation for a few lousy dollars. The worst offenders will face trial, as for the rest of you.. Maybe it's time you considered a career change - I hear North Korea is looking for newspaper editors. If you clean up your act, they may even offer you a job. Pack some warm undies Jorge, and send me a postcard !

Publish that in full or publish none of it. That's my statement and it is prohibited to copy any part of it selectively unless it is published in it's entirety or legal action will follow

Sincerely

Simon Hickey

Smerff Electrical

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/the-brisbane-tradie-sponsoring-a-prominent-neonazi-website-20170228-gunj2l.html

• Locked thread