Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Clive who?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

quote:

Perversely, if somebody wants to set up an account to place a $100 bet at Sportsbet, or invest $1,000 into a managed fund, then they must provide sufficient identification under the AML Act. But if they want to launder millions of dollars through an Australian home, few questions are asked. It makes no sense.

It makes perfect sense. There's one rule for us and no rules for them. The kickbacks the Libs must be getting must be astronomical, but difficult to justify on the actual accounts.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Turnbull is getting an utter caning on Twitter, as expected, but surely the juicy stuff is on catallaxy

quote:

Between refugees, Paris Climate Agreement and TPP mis-steps what sort of reception did Muppet Turnbull think he was going to get…and now the whole world knows exactly what Trump thinks of our lefist PM…time for Bernardi /Hanson and Rinehart to takes Australian politics into the 21st century?

Yes, they know who'd fix things.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

He was one of the good Nazis except for the Jew murdering bit. Just like we have good politicians except for the refugee murdering bit. It's like Godwin made that law for us.

Keating needs to be made High Commissioner for Sledging. Chief duty: answering phone calls from foreign leaders. What kind of tin pot country are we that the only thing we can threaten anyone with is to not be their friend and maybe be besties with China?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Gorilla Salad posted:

Why even have a House or Senate, anymore when Trump can do all this? May as well disband them all.

Let the regional governors have direct control over their territories. Fear will keep the local systems in line. Fear of this battle station.

Americans are loving stupid. All that noise and BS about freedom and they choose a demagogue who'll poo poo on the rights of 50% of the planet just because he can.

The SCOTUS pick puts Democrats in a bind because while they can certainly contest it (under the arcane rules of cloture), he's likely to be a Scalia replacement (actually considered to the RIGHT of Scalia), and maybe pick another battle or risk the Republicans going nuclear again, tearing up the rules and just flat-out ignoring the Democrats from now on. And there's roughly 5 Democrats in red states, but a whole bunch more who are extremely blue and will want to fight it just so they have a shot at the nomination down the road. But all this pales against a lunatic with enablers who is doing 5 crazy things a day.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedOzPol/status/827042961477115904

:rimshot:

Mad Katter posted:

When is the right battle for the Democrats though? It seems like they have just sat around while the Republicans gradually implement fascism.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Opposing the SCOTUS pick is going to be difficult for them because unlike most of Trump's cabinet he's clearly qualified on paper and doesn't have any obvious red flags (so far). He's the kinda of judge that literally any Republican president in 2017 might pick.

Yeah he's to the right of Scalia, as I said. The only good thing about this is that he just slots into an existing power structure 4 pro-liberal, 4 pro-conservative, 1 centrist. It gets interesting if a non-conservative dies or retires.

There is no right battle for the Democrats, either you look at it and say may as well oppose now since they'll throw away the rulebook or you don't oppose and look bad. But if they do oppose now, and the rulebook is thrown away, that means they can't use it if another judge goes. That's the calculation aside from individual Democrat ambitions. Once that rulebook goes, they can do literally nothing because GOP will just steamroll everything. They literally may as well not even turn up then.

So, to keep their options open for SCOTUS they may have to tread carefully, but I think that something else will trigger the nuclear option and they'll be hosed anyway. At this point, I'd be working hard at the State level of opposition since that's likely to be the way to really put SCOTUS in a bind. The fear is also that if they don't get their way, GOP will nobble courts.

Interesting loving times eh. Also, go China! Because the US became the bad option.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

No it's gone way beyond that. There's no hope of bipartisanship, all that is going to matter is how good you look being steamrolled every day. It's going to be literally which votes did you oppose, why did you abstain, you didn't take the fight to them etc etc.

Really the only slender hope is that the GOP massively overdo it and get a huge backlash from all quarters. I don't see a great improvement in the midterms, GOP should have gerrymandered that quite well by then.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

Yeah I recognise it's a uphill battle but seriously, if not now, when?

Sure, what's your plan? Cos I don't see any good options.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

BBJoey posted:

you're loving dumb as dogshit dude. there is no difficult decision. the republicans aren't going to reward democrats if they play nice with them. did you literally just start following US politics because the last 8 years demonstrated this very well over and over and over.

Let me know when you figure out the reading thing, kid. The rest of the kindergarten are ahead of you.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

There's talk of exporting our service industries. How the gently caress do you do that (other than drive professionals overseas because we're poo poo) ?

I sure hope they're not expecting our internet to withstand the effort.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

gay picnic defence posted:

I think it's a bit like hosting a call center that makes money by taking calls from overseas. Except more agile or something

Yeah it just sounded like half-baked advisor soundbites, it didn't survive the news cycle. Or perhaps that was just Qantas's excuse for moving their call centre to the Philippines like everyone else.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

https://twitter.com/karinjr/status/827094009835290624

TL;DR Trump didn't have a clue what Australian Liberal Party means, his advisors knew no better, and he just assumed Turnbull was a bleeding lefty. Makes sense.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Lid posted:

Give her a raise

Natuonalise 2gb

Opinion Verboten. Still, it's kind of stupid to think you would get away with it, there's no "edgy time" in the PM's Dept, especially not the special snowflake PM we have right now.

Palaptine's newsletter posted:

This morning the President has said he loves Australia and will “respect” the deal, but that nations are taking advantage of the US. White House spokesman Sean Spicer said his boss was “unbelievably disappointed” about the “horrible deal” and that refugees will only be allowed in the US if they pass extreme vetting. But Mr Trump’s top officials have tried to smooth over the rift, holding a meeting with ambassador Joe Hockey.

catallaxy posted:

“How is it playing out in Australia?”

For Malcolm apparently to have tried to push Trump, by telling him that as a fellow businessman that a deal is a deal, must rank as politically incompetent as anything I have ever seen. That Trump now thinks of Malcolm as a flea-weight no-account fool only means he has the same assessment of the PM as the rest of us.

Snatching defeat from the jaws of disaster...

And while on catallaxy news, Morgan Begg of the IPA has a new theory: that ARE TAXES fund pro-18c groups to attack brave honest IPA people!

take to the hills! posted:

One of the most obvious features of the parliamentary inquiry into section 18C of the Racial Discrimination Act has been the volume of government agencies and government-funded left-wing interest groups that have contributed to the body of submissions.

These beneficiaries of government largesse are uniformly in favour of more government, and defending the existing prohibition of offensive, insulting, humiliating and intimidating speech contained in section 18C.

Yes, isn't it lucky they have the Spectator as a source of content.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Tirade posted:

Whether it was from the ALP, the Abbott faction of the Libs or someone else, someone has ruined her career to gain a half hour of the Friday afternoon news cycle.

:(

It is unfair, but there is no safety for people in that job. The Murdoch media love this kind of stuff, they've been at it in the UK for decades, and now metadata is free game. You have to have a completely silent internet presence in the political class or you're a target.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Lid posted:

Daisy Cousens

Ah someone even more unfunny than Rowan Dean, great.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Well, she's graduated. Here in full technicolour:

Mummy and Daddy bought my degrees and all I got was this lousy sense of entitlement posted:

Tough luck, lefties. It’s Trump train time

So, lefties. It happened. In the biggest “f-ck you” to the establishment since the Colonies broke away from the Crown, Donald Trump has been voted President of the United States. None of you can quite believe the man the media ruthlessly slandered for two years has ascended to power. By your standards, the world has gone mad. In some terrible twist of fate, the narrative has gone wrong. And given the anti-Trump mainstream zeitgeist you’ve been fed, you just can’t fathom where or why.

But here’s the thing, snowflakes. If you paid any attention to what goes on outside your Facebook News Feed, you’d have realised this result is the furthest thing from surprising. So when you’re done slut-shaming Melania Trump, and mocking her accent (by the way, she speaks five languages), I’m more than happy to explain it to you. In great and glorious detail.

First things first: the media has unashamedly lied to you. All the polls were either wrong or rigged. The coverage was blatantly skewed, prompting some right-wing commentators to nickname CNN the “Clinton News Network”. Why? Because the mainstream media is almost entirely controlled by the leftist establishment. You can ‘Rupert Murdoch’ me all you want, but the anti-Trump, pro-leftist agenda was crushingly obvious. However, this agenda failed. And the reason it failed is because of one simple yet crucial truth-bomb your leftie eyes have simply refused to see:

Most people don’t agree with you.

In fact, most people have never agreed with you. Not just in the USA, but globally. This leftist narrative of globalism, multiculturalism, and social justice does not ring true in the real world. Why? Because the first priority of the vast majority of people is making a buck. That doesn’t mean they’re not interested in those other things; it just means they’re more interested in feeding their families. The only people who can actually afford to buy into your social justice narrative are the (to use your favourite word) privileged leftist elites.

As such, Donald Trump’s promise of a domestic rather than globalist agenda is hugely appealing to everyday Americans. They’re prepared to overlook Trump’s personal flaws because they feel betrayed by the liberal establishment. And although they have remained silent in the mainstream arena, they’ve spoken where their voices ring the loudest, the polling booths. Okay, Hillary Clinton won the popular vote, but who cares? It was by the tiny margin of 0.4 percent. If a few more disaffected Republican voters hadn’t slept through their alarms, Trump would have won that too.

“But, no!” you’ll cry, wildly flapping your hands in protest. “Trump supporters are all racist! Sexist! Homophobic! Ignorant! White supremacist!” Yeah, they’ve heard it all before. However, if you look at the facts, it’s obvious to anyone with an adult functioning brain that not all Trump supporters are bigots.

Of the seven hundred counties who voted for Obama twice, one-third of them went red this election. The states of Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania, former Democratic strongholds, voted Republican for the first time since the 1980s. The white people in those counties and states didn’t just suddenly become racist, after voting in America’s first black president. They simply changed their minds or didn’t show up to vote, not because they’re bigots, but because the Democrats have failed them.

As for the narrative, this result is a ‘white-lash’ against racial minorities; total rubbish. More white people voted for Mitt Romney when he was the Republican candidate in 2012 than did for Trump in 2016. Mind-blowingly, Trump also received more votes from Blacks and Hispanics than Romney did. In other words, Donald Trump, the man you’ve smeared as the worst kind of racist, received the extra minority votes Hillary Clinton needed in order to win the election. Cruel, ain’t it?

Regardless of this myth-busting, I won’t deny there are some nasty swampland bigots on the Trump Train. But that’s largely because of the liberal media, helped along by your leftie-squawking on Facebook. You’ve taken Trump’s stringent but understandable methods of controlling illegal immigration, blown them up, and turned him into the new father of white supremacy. However, many of these nasty-swamp-bigots generally don’t make it out of the marshes to vote. And since you were the ones who created this hyperbolic ‘white pride’ narrative, that following is actually your fault. Not Trump’s.

However, your most cherished narrative is that Hillary lost because she’s a woman. Guess what? Wrong again. In 2003, a Gallup poll showed eighty-seven percent of Americans were happy to vote for a woman president, and the normalisation of women in power has come in leaps and bounds since then. The reason people didn’t want to vote for Hillary wasn’t because she was a woman. They just didn’t want to vote for this particular woman. There are plenty of other reasons not to vote for her; most notably the fact she represents the corrupt liberal establishment that has razed America to the ground over the last eight years. Lord Voldemort would have been a better candidate.

However, those aren’t the only reasons Republicans clinched the win. I hate to break it to you, lefties, but Trump supporters voted accordingly because they’ve had it with your blunt intolerance of differing opinions. Rather than engaging with your opponent, you have a nasty habit of defaulting to buzzwords like “racist”, “sexist”, “ignorant”, and “bigot”, instead of reasoned debate. That’s called “bullying”, and the right is royally sick of it. The election of Donald Trump is a direct retaliation to these oppressive tactics by the regressive left. You’ve been shovelling coal into the Trump Train this whole time. And that’s why conservatives the world over are trying (and failing) not to gloat.

Look, I know this is a lot to take in. But facts don’t care about your feelings. You’re losing. People are rejecting your doctrine of identity politics, political correctness, and intellectual suppression. Freedom of speech, personal autonomy, and intellectual diversity are making quite the comeback. And no amount of trigger warnings or safe spaces is going to stop that. Face it, snowflakes. The Trump Train is leaving the station. So you’d best knuckle down, and buckle up because it’s waiting for no one.

Just so she can't claim she never wrote it.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Welcome to Accelerationist Monday! How many will defect?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Purity. That's more important to Cory and most of the catallaxy Right. Now that split will be interesting: Cory or Pauline?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

https://twitter.com/joshgnosis/status/828367626220904448

Hilarious!

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

blindidiotgod posted:

Harder *again* to push stuff through the senate, if Cory is acrimonious about things.

We can only hope. I wonder what outragous calls he's asking for to stay? Cabinent position?

Think of the terrible bedfellows he can make on votes :getin:

Cory being Cory, he'll play the new BA Santamaria and wedge Libs vs PHON.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

hooman posted:

Bernardi is an awful piece of poo poo and him leaving the libs will help them rather than harm them.

In terms of sabotaging the libs he was much better off making them look like the regressive arseholes they are than being on his own and getting electorally ruined.

EDIT: The groundswell he's talking about isn't conservative it's protectionist and there's a big difference.

I think it's too early to tell, it greatly depends on who he gets to come with him. I was looking at the SA Libs page and there's 4 in the HR and 4 in the Senate and perhaps there's a couple from WA. I would be most interested in any Nats jumping ship, but George is much more likely to join One Nation than Bernardism.

How will it play out? Well nobody expected the ALP to split the way it did in the 50's. And never forget that the Liberals are really a hodgepodge of conservative traditions stuck together to beat the ALP. Regular flaking off as purity is demanded over pragmatism should be expected.

But you're right, it's radical protectionist xenophobia, not a "return to values".

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

hooman posted:

My view is that very few people really wants to smash the gays and women into the dirt, we like those people, we just don't like all our jobs vanishing and getting ripped off constantly by "free trade deals" that make everyone locally lose their jobs in order for big companies to make fatter profits and pay workers less.

Agreed, I just never hear from those people and all I see is misdirection the other way. Realistically, unless we get a government willing to invest here to balance out the cash/automation/corporate drain, we will continue to be hosed. Right now I can't see anything seriously moving unless the house bubble bursts or half the middle class get their jobs automated away.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Synthbuttrange posted:

wardrobe malfunction

Pfft Naomi Robinson did her own hair and makeup at Beaconsfield, suck it up princesses.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Ok, so Daisy Cousens is funnier than Rowan Dean. Should I be worried?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

In the party room, at the news of the death of the gold pass, I’m told one MP joked “we will all have to get corporate sponsorship”.

I'm guessing that won't be a joke in the Libs for much longer. I'm wondering who the hell else is going to be in BACP? There doesn't seem to be a very public backing for Cory so far.

https://twitter.com/TomMcIlroy/status/828797928068177922

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

MysticalMachineGun posted:

How long until Bernardi has a meltdown that he's getting no press coverage (FAKE NEWS) since he's no longer relevant?

I mean, give it a couple of weeks to die down but after that he might as well be Malcolm Roberts.

He won't be because his vote is going to be critical as a crossbencher. There is literally at best a 3 vote margin right now for any legislation and it won't be much better when the two vacancies are filled. If he can recruit, that could widen. I think the partyroom is going to be very fraught in the Libs from now on, it's an open threat, particularly given Abbott's role.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Amoeba102 posted:

The quotes about his personal life are more alarming.

Most of them are just like him, its just the context that makes him look especially terrible. That's the hypocrisy of it.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

hooman posted:

Amazing watching these two mealy mouthed idiots having a slap fight.

Bolt demands that every position he holds is whatever works for the moment and you can't contradict today's opinion unless he does tomorrow. Bolt must always win, must always pretend he had a 50/50 bet instead of absolutist garbage. It was just unbearable to have Miranda point that out, and I can't see Bolt lasting.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The period since Rudd is the messiest it's been since the 70s/early 80s, in terms of internal government stability I think.

It hasn't been this bad since the 50's. Not even the Gorton/McMahon period comes close.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Apparently there's an election on in WA:

quote:

Meanwhile, Transport Minister Bill Marmion was heckled extensively by a passer-by as he fronted the media at Bayswater train station to continue the Liberals' attack on Metronet.

As Mr Marmion tried to argue Labor's Metronet costings had holes in them, he had to compete with the man shouting that the under-construction airport rail line was the "stupidest idea".

Transit guards eventually appeared to ensure the man boarded the next train.

Can't have members of the public contradicting the party line.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Lid posted:

Eh Lindt isn't a stretch as a terroristic event. The fiction is that it wasn't covered.

The fiction is that it was terrorism by the media that covered it and the authorities hoping the report that will say so won't dump them in it really really badly, because they contributed to it. The media have conflicting agendas on this: they want to label it terrorism, but they also want to trumpet how badly the authorities managed it and how they contributed to the event by ignoring warnings about the guy, in which case it isn't terrorism by any label and more a siege with hostages which is all that it was.

I have a feeling Baird's departure was timely in this context.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Cirofren posted:

Does poo poo like this get voted on the in senate then the house? I'm not up on how senators introduce legislation. gently caress I think I even asked this in this thread years ago but I can't remember.

It's a regulation not a bill, so it can be voted on and passed and BAM law.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

We must remove the coercive influence of unions from the construction industry

And replace it with the coercive influence of the federal government

And yet at the same time, small government! regulation bad! flexibility! red tape!

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Yes, a remarkably tone-deaf silvertail swipe that cheered his mates and the younger impressionable members of the Press Gallery, from one who sold his soul for PM and paid 1.75 million as a sweetener.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Even Tingle was gasping at Turnbull's aggressiveness, quite the disappointment. She has a firm grasp on the long trend, but they must be desperate for entertainment if that's all it takes to cause hot flushes.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

https://twitter.com/PmPaulKeating/status/829445533185953792

:allears: never change.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Quasimango posted:

That's not Keating.

I'd like to think it is him. It's funny that Mark Di Stefano is miffed about it.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

adamantium|wang posted:

These cowardly fucks

I think Turnbull has lost it. He's doing Abbott badly again, forgetting how negotiation works, literally no ideas on how to go forward. Whoever votes for this are going to be marked, and I doubt NXT will want to wear it.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Then they're already done. Even with Corey and vacancies filled the most they could get is a tie if ALP/Greens/NXT are against the deal.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Senor Tron posted:

My favourite line is bolded.

Coming from a Victorian Liberal, that's quite hilarious.

Mine is:

“We’d be a less tolerant country, we would be a country that doesn’t understand our trading partners … We would be a country that would be providing ineffective answers to difficult problems.”

So close to getting it.

Schneider Inside Her posted:

Barnett's cooked.

How likely would they dump Barnett after a respectable interval if they win? It seems they'll run themselves into the ground with this, the way Victorian Liberals enfeebled themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Schneider Inside Her posted:

His plan is to flip 51% of Western Power but even if he does that he'd have to sell that every year. Also privatising utilities is loving dumb and it has been every single goddamn time.

Gosh I wonder what happened to all those lovely iron royalties.

• Locked thread