Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Found the Crean

The chairman of the Turnbull government’s backbench environment and energy committee has backed Tony Abbott’s call to wind back the renewable energy target, and cut the immigration rate to boost housing affordability.

The Liberal MP Craig Kelly told Guardian Australia on Friday the RET needed to be frozen where it is at the moment, and the government needed to explicitly link the issues of immigration and housing affordability.

“We have to link the two,” Kelly said. “One of the big factors in housing demand at the moment is how many people migrate to Australia.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/child-bride-survivor-eman-sharobeem-has-assets-frozen-by-nsw-crime-commission-20170220-gugqxj.html

quote:

Eman Sharobeem's life story reads like an inspiring tale of overcoming the odds: forced into an arranged marriage to her first cousin as a teenager, then widowed at 29 with two young sons, having endured a violent 14-year marriage.

After emigrating from Egypt, she gained PhDs in Psychology, Management and Organisational Leadership, rising to become chief executive of the Immigrant Women's Health Service and earning a list of community honours for her work giving a voice to the underprivileged.

But now the prominent women's refugee advocate, domestic violence campaigner and Australian of the Year finalist has had her assets frozen by the powerful NSW Crime Commission following an investigation into "serious crime related activity" and her "unexplained wealth".

The Crime Commission has secured a restraining order in the NSW Supreme Court that requires Ms Sharobeem not to dispose of three Sydney properties it believes she owns and to disclose her financial interests.

The Supreme Court heard that after receiving a summary of evidence provided by the Independent Commission Against Corruption, the Crime Commission held "a suspicion that the defendant is engaged in serious crime-related activity or activities being the offences of obtaining a financial advantage or causing a financial disadvantage by deception".

"That is an offence punishable by imprisonment for five years involving fraud and accordingly falls within the definition of 'serious criminal offence'," Justice David Davies said in his judgment.

"I have read the summary of evidence document provided to the [Crime Commission] and I am satisfied that [the] suspicion that the offence or offences have been committed is reasonably held."

He ordered Ms Sharobeem and her sons Richard and Charlie to face examination in court.

Ms Sharobeem was chief executive of the Immigrant Women's Health Service in Fairfield for 11 years until 2015.

In June 2016, funding to the not-for-profit organisation from the NSW Health Department was suddenly cut

A spokesman for South Western Sydney Local Health District said at the time that the governance of the service was under investigation and the organisation was no longer in a position to provide services.

Hundreds of migrant women protested against the announcement of the closure, fearing they would have to vacate their "safe haven". Services have since been picked up by other providers.

Last year, Ms Sharobeem was appointed National Community Engagement Manager at broadcaster SBS. She did not respond to a message left on her SBS voicemail.

Her online CV at social media employment site LinkedIn says she holds a series of public offices including as a member of the multicultural advisory council to the NSW Department of Justice, an advisory board member at Multicultural NSW, and as an ambassador to the NSW Australia Day Council.

The court order freezing Ms Sharobeem's assets includes three properties, a car and a bank account. The orders were made on February 14 without prior warning. The matter returns to court in May.

One of the frozen properties is a four-bedroom house in Abbotsbury that was bought in September 2012 for $676,000. Property services company RPData says the median home price in Abbotsbury has risen more than 46 per cent in that time.

Contacted on Friday, Richard Sharobeem said: "I'd rather not discuss the topic."

Ms Sharobeem's life story has featured prominently in the media over recent years.

Ms Sharobeem has earned a long list of community accolades, including finalist for the NSW Premier's Woman of the Year Award and as a finalist in the local hero category of the Australian of the Year.

In a 2015 interview concerning a nomination for a community award, she said: "The work is a reward, and self-satisfaction is the payment."

In an interview with SBS last year, Ms Sharobeem reflected on her life: "If I would be back home, if I were to be in Egypt, I don't think I would have the same freedom and the same choices and the same abilities open for people," she said.

"And people are listening and other people are learning and I wouldn't have the courage to go out and say I was a victim and look at me now. I'm living a life of victory."

Hmmm

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
[In April 2016] 3AW’s Neil Mitchell asked Bill Shorten whether he would accept the findings of the FWC review. Shorten gave a succinct “yes”. Pressed on whether he’d do so even if the finding was to reduce Sunday rates, Shorten replied “I said I’d accept the independent tribunal”.

https://theconversation.com/labor-struggles-with-the-sticky-paper-of-penalty-rates-59487

Its a long bow but what does this mean for Peter Duttons leadershop ambitions

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Solemn Sloth posted:

Is Andrew hastie the ex soldier? I can only assume he picked up syphilis on tour, never got treated and this divine right spiel is the result

Creationist

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Zenithe posted:

He used to be a detective you know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwM_aQyBgSw

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Labor’s Clare O’Neil has defended Bill Shorten’s position on penalty rates, claiming he had only said he would stand by the decision of the Fair Work Commission on penalty rates because it was assumed the commission would not recommend cutting them.

This is not a good argument.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

JBP posted:

Corporate and institutional banking at NAB now only available at The Star.

Melbourne hegemony attempt above Mister Speaker

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

hooman posted:

It's basically the best argument he's got. Otherwise he capitulates on penalty rates and proves himself to be even more spineless than trumble.

Lets see if he gets on the front foot with something like "I was happy to let the independent commission decide because you can't expect an attack on the least well off in our community damaging some of the poorest Australians. This result is so out of step with the values and principles of the Labor party and Australians as a whole that we must act." or if he'll let it slide away.

Yeah but it can be flipped to a viable attack.

"If Shorten doesnt listen to either an independent adjudicator or himself how can we be safe with him in charge? He's either spineless, a liar, or both."

Could be flipped further that the Libs get a freebie on ignoring independent advice and an attack on them will be deflected with "oh listening to independent advice you agree with is ok but if it doesnt its knives out, Mr Shorten"

Its lose-lose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

JBP posted:

Shorten is trying to have a go at Turnbull in QT, but Turnsy is just throwing Shorten quotes back at him about the times he worked for the SDA and the time he supported tax cuts for business.

Shorten needs to just keep repeating the same things over and over again though. He can just keep saying Liberals bad and they steal from poors right into the election.

Wont work

People arent going to flock to support a hypocrite damaged goods leader. Turnbull and Shorten are two peas.

The right have tge right idea in getting Dutton up - he is sincere in his evil because he is dumb as bricks. People will flock to any sincerity.

The left got closer when Albo was up but talks of that died away months back when Shorten stabilised.

Either way Shorten aint winning this fight - his independent appointee ruled this way, in line with Shorten's SDA right wing leanings. He needs to distract everyone off this and move on to that if elected he will revert the changes - we abide by the decision but we know whats right and we will change it.

• Locked thread