Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Sounds like Chelsea bought the wrong player

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
gently caress Ranieri, the oval office's making out he's some sort of martyr.

Jason Sextro posted:

The rumour is that it was the players who complained to Leicester's board about Ranieri, which lol if true

Lashing out is a common withdrawal symptom.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

HJB posted:

He is a martyr for football.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

HJB posted:

Lashing out is a common withdrawal symptom.

It's getting a bit ridiculous. He's not loving dead he was leading the champions of England to relegation of course he got sacked.

There was a better way about this and personally I thought he should have walked before Christmas with his head held high (and taken the England job) but this is all getting stupid.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

EvilHawk posted:

It's getting a bit ridiculous. He's not loving dead he was leading the champions of England to relegation of course he got sacked.

Alternatively he lead a relegation bound team to the title

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Blue Star Error posted:

Alternatively he lead a relegation bound team to the title

Well yes he did and like I said I don't think he deserved to be let go in this manner... but do you really think the goal pre-season was to try and avoid relegation? He completely failed to build on anything he achieved last season, and he's arguably left the club in a worse position than they were when he arrived (how many of Leicester's big player are going to stay if they go down? How much money have they drained out of the club?).

Someone on the BBC has pointed out the same thing happened to Mourinho last season and absolutely nobody batted an eyelid because they don't like Mou. Ranieri is seen as some sort of darling of the Premier League and so everyone appears to be overlooking how terrible a job he's done this season.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
If Sunderland went on a 13 game winning streak and snuck into 4th, would Moyes deserve the sack if they were fighting relegation next season? Fighting relegation is Leicester's level, last season was the aberration not this one.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

EvilHawk posted:

Well yes he did and like I said I don't think he deserved to be let go in this manner... but do you really think the goal pre-season was to try and avoid relegation? He completely failed to build on anything he achieved last season, and he's arguably left the club in a worse position than they were when he arrived (how many of Leicester's big player are going to stay if they go down? How much money have they drained out of the club?).

Someone on the BBC has pointed out the same thing happened to Mourinho last season and absolutely nobody batted an eyelid because they don't like Mou. Ranieri is seen as some sort of darling of the Premier League and so everyone appears to be overlooking how terrible a job he's done this season.

a completely different thing happened to jose mourinho in that he led an incredibly wealthy club expected to win titles into a relegation dogfight

ranieri won the league playing some championship-level garbagemen like Albrighton and all their defenders. Players dropping a level after a title isn't totally unexpected, but that team was utter crap to begin with.

ronniegardocki
Apr 14, 2012

by Lowtax

EvilHawk posted:

and he's arguably left the club in a worse position than they were when he arrived

who the gently caress would argue this? they're literally champions of england

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

they might be able to get a better manager, but that's the sort of thing you'd expect a smooth transition in place for. Not reactively sacking a guy because his players were found out to be not good enough and he didn't replace an entire team of accidental league-winners.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Blue Star Error posted:

Fighting relegation is Leicester's level

And he was doing a poor job about it. It's sad to see Ranieri go, he's a likeable man and last season was fantastic. It's not the end anyone wanted for him, but football isn't a fairy tail. Saying he should stay because of last season is like saying Rooney should be the first name on the United teamsheet because he was great in the past.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Don't forget the desire of football journalists to make themselves look the best.

Leicester seemed heading for the drop with Rainieri. Considering the finances involved in it taking a chance on a new manager is probably worth it for them. Leicester doesn't have the squad and resources we do but Jose had us heading for the bottom last year too.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

EvilHawk posted:

It's funny how people treat you more humanely when you don't demean and belittle other people including the officials and your fellow managers. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand why people were so merciless when Mourinho was sacked as opposed to Ranieri.

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen
Some people have definitely been a bit hysterical about it. Lineker said they shouldn't sack him even if he got relegated four times in a row and that he literally cried when he heard they had.

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009

Shoren posted:

It's funny how people treat you more humanely when you don't demean and belittle other people including the officials and your fellow managers. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand why people were so merciless when Mourinho was sacked as opposed to Ranieri.

Or you know, eye gouge the opposition assistant manager.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

glasnost toyboy posted:

Or you know, eye gouge the opposition assistant manager.

That was UEFA doctoring live footage - Mourinho is a victim of a UEFA conspiracy to undermine him by any means necessary, clearly

Ranieri unfortunately was the victim of his own success - people expected more from his team of cloggers than they were ultimately capable of giving, looks like Kante was the only elite player on that team

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

It's saturday, there are some games on, and I can't get imgur to work. Join each other.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3811378

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
I see the contrarians have arrived

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Mourinho winning the league with Chelsea isn't really the same thing as Ranieri winning the league with Leicester.

Manc Hill
Jul 19, 2001

^^this is u ^^this is me
Looking forward to Kante going to Barca or Real this summer and Chelsea getting relegated next season imho

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Monday Bandele posted:

I see the contrarians have arrived

Are the ones who think Ranieri just needed more time the contrarians or the ones who think he was a fraudulent foreign myth all along?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Blue Star Error posted:

If Sunderland went on a 13 game winning streak and snuck into 4th, would Moyes deserve the sack if they were fighting relegation next season? Fighting relegation is Leicester's level, last season was the aberration not this one.

This would normally be true but they spent a poo poo load on players who wouldn't normally go to them because they were in the champions league and had just won the league

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!

ronniegardocki posted:

who the gently caress would argue this? they're literally champions of england

literally nobody would argue this

*scrolls up*

Oh

EC10 fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Feb 25, 2017

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

EvilHawk posted:

lol

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
hmmm yeah I agree the only thing that matters in modern football is current form, imo Manchester United should have sacked Sir Alex Ferguson if they were ever 17th halfway through a season

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
The most offensive thing about all of this is Lester's lovely championship level players believing their own hype and demanding that the man who led them to actually achieve something he sacked. After that the board's hands were kind of tied.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The man was getting poo poo results and performances and the players didn't believe in his methods after the drugs stopped working so he had to go.

Hopefully they've left it too late and go down.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

vyelkin posted:

hmmm yeah I agree the only thing that matters in modern football is current form, imo Manchester United should have sacked Sir Alex Ferguson if they were ever 17th halfway through a season

well you can't keep ranieri around if alan pardew is available to work his 'half-season to avoid relegation' magic

Lemon
May 22, 2003

someone please convince me Boro aren't going down

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Lemon posted:

19 goals in 26 matches but they've conceded less goals than everyone save Spurs and Chelsea.

If they do stay up it's definitely not going to be a feast of football.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Lemon posted:

They're sixteenth and have a better goal difference than all the sides below them so it's certainly possible they stay up.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

blue footed boobie posted:

The most offensive thing about all of this is Lester's lovely championship level players believing their own hype and demanding that the man who led them to actually achieve something he sacked. After that the board's hands were kind of tied.

leicesters squad is insanely bad and their big money signings freakin suck

i hope they get relegated out of league football

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Hey friend that lovely Algerian will certainly coax mahrez to play another year in the championship

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Actually "that lovely Algerian" could be mahrez this year tbf

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015

Lemon posted:

we're not going down purely because there are only 3 spots for relegation and leicester, hull and sunderland are so completely insnaely bad.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
so are boro though

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

UnlimitedSpessmans posted:

we're not going down purely because there are only 3 spots for relegation and leicester, hull and sunderland are so completely insnaely bad.

actually hull is really good since they employed colin farral

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015

RideTheSpiral posted:

actually hull is really good since they employed colin farral

don't tell me the truth im trying to delude myself here.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I don't think I trust in aitor anymore I'm afraid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015

Bape Culture posted:

I don't think I trust in aitor anymore I'm afraid

Not like this.

• Locked thread