Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
My favorite Arsenal meltdown is when Gallas had a meltdown in the middle of the pitch after the Eduardo match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!

blue footed boobie posted:

My favorite Arsenal meltdown is when Gallas had a meltdown in the middle of the pitch after the Eduardo match.

That actually happened during the match, when they were awarded a suspect penalty

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Shoren posted:

Interesting, I thought "I want to win the Premier League and the Champions League" clearly conveys his intentions, but I guess I was wrong!

Woah he's angling for Chelsea!

Reprisal
Jul 20, 2001
where Pedro can keep him out of another title winning side

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Oops wrong thread

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
Plucky little Bournemouth have been charged for breaking doping rules. The 35k fine will ensure they right their behaviour in future.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/feb/18/arsene-wenger-arsenal-manager-four-more-years

Wengy Wants Four More Years

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
like he'd consider any other number

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

someone told him he'd need to score four against bayern and he didn't realise that it didn't mean cumulatively over time

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

I dread Wenger leaving but also want it to happen already.

Arsenal will somehow get worse once he leaves but gently caress it, the man wont be around forever and its not like there is any chance he wins a trophy anyway so might as well just just fire the old queer, turn to poo poo, and maybe sort it out. I don't really see things being that different if Arsenal do it now as opposed to after another handful of seasons of clinging desperately to fourth place.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
If Arsenal drop out of the top 4 they won't get back there for a long long time.

Still B.A.E
Mar 24, 2012

It'd be funny if it turned out Wenger was the thing holding Arsenal back all this time, but it'd be funnier if he was the only thing holding them together.

Lenin Riefenstahl
Sep 18, 2003

That's enough! Out of here, you tubs of beer!
Still got two proper trophies in the last three seasons.

But yeah, he's not getting this team to winning the premier league or champions league level and that's what he's now judged on.

I'm also worried arsenal will end up like Liverpool and United and struggle when wenger leaves, but it's going to happen at some stage anyway. More of a question of who's available to replace him atm.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

Still B.A.E posted:

It'd be funny if it turned out Wenger was the thing holding Arsenal back all this time, but it'd be funnier if he was the only thing holding them together.

Wenger's Arsenal are like Mr Burns' germs

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
There's going to be a huge power vacuum when Wenger leaves. The best thing that could happen would be for him to move upstairs and still carry on with the day-to-day running of the club, but leave managing the team up to whoever comes after. Next best thing is have Wenger advise the hirings of a director of football and such because Sir Chips and Gazidis are otherwise clueless. The worst thing that could happen to Arsenal is that they finish out of the top four, but if it means being out in the wilderness for a few seasons I think most Arsenal fans would be OK with that because they're not winning league titles as it is. Yeah, they'd have to pay more in wages to get certain players to come if they're not in the Champions League, but at the same time as long as those players aren't courted by Madrid or Barcelona it won't take much to convince them to move to London.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
One of the ten or so articles about Wenger leaving on the Guardian since the Bayern defeat brought up a pretty good point about how the real problem is that since Dein left the only actual football person in the entire command structure of the club is Wenger himself and that will be the real problem if he leaves.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Still B.A.E posted:

Hes unironically both. Wenger's results are consistently good, cup trophies and CL football are great, but he's also never going to win the PL or CL ever, so it's a pretty weird situation IMO.

He's simultaneously a great manager and completely incapable of delivering on Arsenal's supposed ambitions.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Shoren posted:

There's going to be a huge power vacuum when Wenger leaves. The best thing that could happen would be for him to move upstairs and still carry on with the day-to-day running of the club, but leave managing the team up to whoever comes after. Next best thing is have Wenger advise the hirings of a director of football and such because Sir Chips and Gazidis are otherwise clueless. The worst thing that could happen to Arsenal is that they finish out of the top four, but if it means being out in the wilderness for a few seasons I think most Arsenal fans would be OK with that because they're not winning league titles as it is. Yeah, they'd have to pay more in wages to get certain players to come if they're not in the Champions League, but at the same time as long as those players aren't courted by Madrid or Barcelona it won't take much to convince them to move to London.

As soon as Arsenal fall out of the top 4 they will become Liverpool

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

Bogan Krkic posted:

They've got all the hosed in the brain American fans they need, they are already Liverpool

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
Manchester United are going to win a cup treble this season and it'll be very annoying.

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015

Brony Car posted:

Manchester United are going to win a cup treble this season and it'll be very annoying.

how can they win a cup treble when boro are gona win the fa cup?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Brony Car posted:

We're not getting past Chelsea at Stamford Bridge, but yeah

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Bogan Krkic posted:

The problem is that Arsenal, Man Utd, and Liverpool can't all be Liverpool at the same time, one of them has to be Arsenal. Unless Everton manage to become Arsenal.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Arsenal could become Spurs, the two teams tend to reverse polarity every quarter century or so.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

AJ_Impy posted:

Arsenal could become Spurs, the two teams tend to reverse polarity every quarter century or so.

Somewhere EC10's ears perk up

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Hes unironically both. Wenger's results are consistently good, cup trophies and CL football are great, but he's also never going to win the PL or CL ever, so it's a pretty weird situation IMO.

He's simultaneously a great manager and completely incapable of delivering on Arsenal's supposed ambitions.

Wenger deserves credit for delivering consistent results with a squad that is ultimately not very good, but equally it is his team and he is responsible for the state of it. A new manager would almost certainly be worse in the short term, still working with the remnants of Wenger's team; he would need time and money to transform the team to a more competitive vision

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Barry Shitpeas posted:

Wenger deserves credit for delivering consistent results with a squad that is ultimately not very good, but equally it is his team and he is responsible for the state of it. A new manager would almost certainly be worse in the short term, still working with the remnants of Wenger's team; he would need time and money to transform the team to a more competitive vision

Arsenal don't have the income/backing to continually compete with the rich clubs.

They've got a lot of money in the bank supposedly but once that's spent where's the next £100m going to come from?

Dropping out of the CL would be disastrous for them.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
Arsenal get more money from the TV rights deal in the Prem than they get from getting knocked out in the round of 16 every season. They'll survive if they continue to promote promising academy talent like Iwobi and their league of hyphenated last names, and scout and negotiate intelligently otherwise. That £200M+ they have lying around is more than enough to rebuild a squad while shipping out deadwood to lower table sides. Money isn't an issue at Arsenal, it's going to be management of the footballing system once Wenger leaves.

Manc Hill
Jul 19, 2001

^^this is u ^^this is me
Arsenal could have won the league last season without spending an extra penny if they weren't mentally weak fanny wipes.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
if Arsenal need more money coming in they could raise ticket prices

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Shoren posted:

Arsenal get more money from the TV rights deal in the Prem than they get from getting knocked out in the round of 16 every season. They'll survive if they continue to promote promising academy talent like Iwobi and their league of hyphenated last names, and scout and negotiate intelligently otherwise. That £200M+ they have lying around is more than enough to rebuild a squad while shipping out deadwood to lower table sides. Money isn't an issue at Arsenal, it's going to be management of the footballing system once Wenger leaves.

Every club in the league gets TV rights money. The CL money is important because it gives you an advantage over 16/20th of the league.

Arsenal's academy spends millions on players every season.

Their board will always be reluctant to break open that piggy bank as they can't refill it easily, like City, Chelsea or United can.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
they just raise season ticket prices £500-1k

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
At some point, club owners will do whatever they need to do once the fans stop paying. How long would it take before Arsenal fans stop showing up?

The memory of Hicks & Gillett is fading fast for Liverpool fans, especially after the ticket pricing fiasco last season, the decision to hold back on building up the Anfield Road end, and the big form collapse in January (which might not have ended just yet). Despite Klopp being willing to own various problems, I feel like some kind of boycott targeted against FSG to try to push looser transfer spending is on the horizon.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
owns

https://twitter.com/LFCMAGAZINE/status/833401799600009216

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Brony Car posted:

At some point, club owners will do whatever they need to do once the fans stop paying. How long would it take before Arsenal fans stop showing up?

The memory of Hicks & Gillett is fading fast for Liverpool fans, especially after the ticket pricing fiasco last season, the decision to hold back on building up the Anfield Road end, and the big form collapse in January (which might not have ended just yet). Despite Klopp being willing to own various problems, I feel like some kind of boycott targeted against FSG to try to push looser transfer spending is on the horizon.

Legit can't tell if this is meant to be satire or not.

Most Liverpool fans are very aware of the impact Hicks and Gillett had on the club. Many regular match goers went to the protests in Liverpool (myself included as a wee lad) so are intimately acquainted with problem owners. FSG are absolutely nowhere near as bad. The ticket fiasco was pretty lovely but FSG withdrew it after the fan's pressure. The Anfield Road end expansion is still in the works, but there are definitely issues around it (they can't afford to build it without raising ticket prices because we'll be knocking out an end of the stadium for a good few months) and talks are continuing. Form comes and goes throughout the season.

There are a (very) small minority of fans who want FSG out, or perhaps just loosen the purse strings a little. There's no evidence that FSG aren't willing to pay for players Klopp wants - some comments in January Klopp made about how teams don't want to let their best players go has been misinterpreted to mean we aren't willing to spend enough. It's not organised and it's not widespread, so I don't see it being an issue.

Not sure how it's related to your point either. The fans still turned up to Anfield during Hicks and Gillet's tenure, even if it was to shout abuse.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
he's the most negative supporter ever

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

I have no issues with how FSG run the club. They're willing to learn and adapt after some early mistakes but they seem to be pretty hands off and back their manager.

Would be really nice to get a top notch replacement for Ayre when he leaves though.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

EvilHawk posted:

Many regular match goers went to the protests in Liverpool (myself included as a wee lad)

christ i'm old

i bet you don't even know who tony yeboah is

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

sassassin posted:

Arsenal don't have the income/backing to continually compete with the rich clubs.

They've got a lot of money in the bank supposedly but once that's spent where's the next £100m going to come from?

Dropping out of the CL would be disastrous for them.

Arsenal are quite a wealthy club tbf. They have the second highest revenue in the PL and have more money than teams like Juventus, Dortmund, and Athletics Madrid. And honestly I think that for most PL clubs and big teams from other countries, the CL is just a PR opportunity rather than a major source of income.

Wengy is just such an odd case at this point. His results are probably adequate; Arsenal should be finishing between 2nd and 4th in the premier league, and should be getting out of the group stages in the CL. It's just absolutely bizarre that he keeps replaying the same season, and that the team continues to suffer very heavy defeats against good sides. What's most worrying is that he spent 100m this summer on seemingly good players, and it hasn't made Arsenal any better. That points to problems with the manager imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

FullLeatherJacket posted:

christ i'm old

i bet you don't even know who tony yeboah is

I say wee lad.

I was in my teens.

gently caress that was ten years ago.