Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

You have to have great mental strength to point out the mental strength of others so often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

c0burn posted:

it's been a real rollercoaster. you started the run in sixth, however after a blistering run of form you got up to sixth. the latest bad result has only gotten you down to sixth though, so it's not all bad.

Phwoar, a little mental toughness training from the master of mind games himself, Arsene Wenger, will get them right up into 4th place. Hell, maybe even 3rd, the sky's the limit!

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

“Have I looked to sign Kante? Yes. When he was in France and when he was at Leicester,” Wenger said. “I cannot explain everything [about why he preferred Chelsea] but it is quite obvious when you look at where he has gone. Was it the money? I do not want to talk about that. Transfers are transfers – you cannot explain absolutely everything.”

Arsene says he cannot explain everything about why Kante preferred Chelsea.

And Wenger may be right, but 99% of the reason Kante preferred Chelsea is because Arsenal aren't competing for titles and because they didn't want to pay him what he was worth.

Judging by this season apparently Spurs, Liverpool, and both Manchester clubs aren't either. But if Chelsea's wage structure is considered paying a player what they're worth and no less then Arsene must be holding all off his players' families hostage to get them on the field.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Jose posted:

the government have decided to force the FA to reform and I'm sure FIFA will be happy about it

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/feb/03/mps-debate-vote-of-no-confidence-in-oudated-fa

What exactly is their problem with the FA? That they're not doing things the government want or that the board is composed of old white guys? Because it seems like they're mostly just that it's a bunch of old white guys.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

2 to kill a vote? That's insane. No wonder nothing changes.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Shrapnig posted:

I always love how Arsenal fans try to latch into something wildly innocuous as a reason for why they aren't winning every match.

Your team is built to finish between third and fifth and your manager has the same mentality.

C'mon, it's second and fourth and you know it.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Jose posted:

John terry has strange views about become a coach

I don't understand what footballers earning a lot of money during their playing careers has to do with not completing the entire coaching course. Is he implying they ought to be bribing the licensing board to become coaches?

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

oliwan posted:

I hope John Terry becomes manager of Chelsea as soon as possible

This, also with the effectiveness of Gary Neville, but far, far, far more longevity.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

blue footed boobie posted:

It is, and also that he is a cancer.

He's actually a capricorn, fyi.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

I get the feeling that Sanchez prioritizes playing every match and winning stuff over more money. He would probably be happy with Wenger leaving and keeping the same salary if it meant bringing in a manager who actually has a plan against big teams beyond "go out there and express yourself." Which is what Harry Redknapp would say if he were French and viewed as an intellectual.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

peanut- posted:

Why? I still don't believe the Arsenal board will get rid of him if he wants to stay. Not unless there's any danger of them finishing outside the top 4.

Because everyone is calling for his head so even if the board doesn't sack him he probably won't renew anyway. And when Emery doesn't win the CL he's getting sacked so that opens the door up for Wenger. Not like he'll do better than Emery, mind.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

blue footed boobie posted:

http://af.reuters.com/article/idAFKBN1460B6?utm_source=34553&utm_medium=partner

"It really doesn't depend on me -- if they want to show confidence in me" means "pay me" IMO.

Interesting, I thought "I want to win the Premier League and the Champions League" clearly conveys his intentions, but I guess I was wrong!

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Since Alexis joined Arsenal in 2014:

Arsenal has gone from £208m cash on hand to £226m
Arsenal has gone from a Forbes valuation of $1.3b to $2b
Kroenke has gone from a net worth of $5.7b to $7.2b
Arsenal has gone from being a fail club to being an even more fail club

I believe the correct term is "super fail"

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

There's going to be a huge power vacuum when Wenger leaves. The best thing that could happen would be for him to move upstairs and still carry on with the day-to-day running of the club, but leave managing the team up to whoever comes after. Next best thing is have Wenger advise the hirings of a director of football and such because Sir Chips and Gazidis are otherwise clueless. The worst thing that could happen to Arsenal is that they finish out of the top four, but if it means being out in the wilderness for a few seasons I think most Arsenal fans would be OK with that because they're not winning league titles as it is. Yeah, they'd have to pay more in wages to get certain players to come if they're not in the Champions League, but at the same time as long as those players aren't courted by Madrid or Barcelona it won't take much to convince them to move to London.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Arsenal get more money from the TV rights deal in the Prem than they get from getting knocked out in the round of 16 every season. They'll survive if they continue to promote promising academy talent like Iwobi and their league of hyphenated last names, and scout and negotiate intelligently otherwise. That £200M+ they have lying around is more than enough to rebuild a squad while shipping out deadwood to lower table sides. Money isn't an issue at Arsenal, it's going to be management of the footballing system once Wenger leaves.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Jose posted:

nor wilshere

Except for that injury he picked up in the Man City game.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Leicester should bring in Di Matteo and win the Champions League using incredibly negative tactics while simultaneously getting relegated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

EvilHawk posted:

Someone on the BBC has pointed out the same thing happened to Mourinho last season and absolutely nobody batted an eyelid because they don't like Mou. Ranieri is seen as some sort of darling of the Premier League and so everyone appears to be overlooking how terrible a job he's done this season.

It's funny how people treat you more humanely when you don't demean and belittle other people including the officials and your fellow managers. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand why people were so merciless when Mourinho was sacked as opposed to Ranieri.

• Locked thread