Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Wenger isn't sure why Kante didn't want less money to compete for the 4th place trophy at Arsenal

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/feb/03/arsenal-tried-to-sign-ngolo-kante-last-summer-arsene-wenger-reveals-chelsea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

blue footed boobie posted:

I don't know how that was what you got from reading that.

“Have I looked to sign Kante? Yes. When he was in France and when he was at Leicester,” Wenger said. “I cannot explain everything [about why he preferred Chelsea] but it is quite obvious when you look at where he has gone. Was it the money? I do not want to talk about that. Transfers are transfers – you cannot explain absolutely everything.”

Arsene says he cannot explain everything about why Kante preferred Chelsea.

And Wenger may be right, but 99% of the reason Kante preferred Chelsea is because Arsenal aren't competing for titles and because they didn't want to pay him what he was worth.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Seems pretty clear to me that he's hinting that Kante went to Chelsea for money, but doesn't want to actually come out and say it.

Kante is getting the same wage as Walcott and Ramsey

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Yeah I don't get what making lots of money has to do with it and I think Terry's wrong.

But like 99% of professional athletes greatly overestimate their abilities to do other things like manage a team, run a business, run a charity, put out an album, say racist things, etc.

Edit: I'm biased but I think Terry and Lampard are likely to be pretty good managers. Both are well liked by their teammates, train really hard, read the game really well, worked under some of the best managers in the game, and both made the best of their limited athletic ability.

Hashtag Banterzone fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Feb 6, 2017

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

vyelkin posted:

Agreed this is why Gary Neville was such a success at Valencia

I don't know if any of his teammates liked him, including his brother

But that's a pretty bad example since Valencia is a trainwreck, and it was Gary Neville's first attempt at management.

Tony Adams would probably be a better example. I can't think of many other examples of famous players like that who ended up being bad managers. I mostly remember the ones that became good managers.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

straight up brolic posted:

Wenger told the Arsenal fans that they need to be more like Spurs fans

EC10: "Way ahead of you Arsene"

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

I'm ok with that as long as slipping and calling people Negrito is still allowed

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

He's basically said it's about money, though.

lol sure let's see the quote

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Since Alexis joined Arsenal in 2014:

Arsenal has gone from £208m cash on hand to £226m
Arsenal has gone from a Forbes valuation of $1.3b to $2b
Kroenke has gone from a net worth of $5.7b to $7.2b
Arsenal has gone from being a fail club to being an even more fail club

• Locked thread