Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CJacobs posted:

edit: The witcher 3's writing and characterization is generally very good until it occasionally gets on the subject of boning at which point they drop the ball immediately imo

I think it's a legacy of the novels which, more or less, were pretty pulpy. The original Witcher wholeheartedly embraced that and while Witcher 3 is the most canon-accurate to the novels it also tries to do more of its own thing and the end result is that it has some extremely strong writing mixed with the pulp remnants of the original.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

fridge corn posted:

I believe I addressed most of these points in the Witcher 3 thread when I was playing the game

That's fine but this isn't the Witcher 3 thread and also it isn't the Nier thread, so if you're going to make weird angry elephant-in-the-room comments about one game here then I assume you can make them about another game too.

Cowcaster posted:

as we speak blizzard entertainment is ramping up to the announcement of their next overwatch character which has been hinted at to be a robot and i'm giving it a 50-50 shot of it being tits on a tank

Isn't it strongly implied to be like an 11 year old girl remotely piloting a drone or something?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

a drone with double-d's

Yeah, okay, I can actually see that. I mean they made a grandma character and then gave her a Hot Young Skin without actually changing her voice lines. The sky is the limit.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

fridge corn posted:

It's cool. I just find it weird that people are laughing at all the creepy care mad alt-righters from gamefaqs in the Horizon thread, but in here everyone's hyped for Nier but very little acknowledgement of the connection between the two

Because there is no actual connection between the two. Nobody in the Nier thread is going "At last! A game for me, free of the scourge of SJWs" and also the last two games made by the same director explicitly contained material that made fun of those kinds of people and I am willing to bet Nier Automata does too.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

fridge corn posted:

Yes, but at the same time catering to them more heavily than detracting. Go look at the Nier: Automata board on gamefaqs and see if anything stands out to you.

Yes, and? At some point a game is going to appeal to the lovely people if it intends to or not. Witcher 3 did too, once again to use an example of a game you called good.

Beyond a certain point, unless you're doing the "it's okay if I like it" thing, you're going to come into conflict between a game doing something you like and a game doing something you dislike. The solution is to recognize something's flaws, missteps or just what it does that you dislike, and acknowledge them as part of the product, which is what most people are doing.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Feb 24, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

To me, stuff like jiggle physics and skimpy clothing is meant to appeal to the inner adolescent inside all of us and that's not something I'm interested inn.

As opposed to cutting up fools and dodging fireballs?

Video games in general are designed to appeal to the inner adolescent inside of all of us. That's not a terrible thing but it does mean that it isn't just appealing to one part of it. Not everyone has the same adolescent desires but there is a reason it keeps showing up.

Obviously that isn't universal and you can have games without one or the other but there's a reason that something like God of War includes bonin' goddesses right alongside tearing people's eyes out.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

I think there's an extra layer of skeeziness to overt sexualization in video games because you then have to imagine the motivations and ethos of the people responsible for writing it. Shooting fireballs is generically cool in way that doesn't feel voyeuristic or exploitative of anything.

I'm not fond of it myself but I don't think it's quite that simple. Shooting fireballs isn't but to go back to God of War there's a certain level of try-hard violence that has the same effect. (And it isn't the same for everyone.) And honestly even non try-hard violence has the same effective, though sometimes instead of skeeziness it can feel ridiculous or stupid as well. It depends. Something like Mortal Kombat X isn't really meaningfully less skeevy, it's just in a different direction of sheer excessive goresplosions.

I suppose it doesn't bother me much in that I've reached the point where I can go "yes, this is pretty childish, but I don't define my life by it and play it for fun. I wish it was better but oh well."

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Feb 24, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

There's some, I think, some degree of people applying pretty harsh criticism to games that attempt to handle emotional matters in any way. A lot of games that do nothing but involve characters talking for example juts get labeled "dating simulator' where any emotional interaction between people gets shoved into the same box. Obviously video games are not 100% replicating real conversation but "I'm worried about you and we need to talk" gets put in the same box as "Oh Shepard-sama please tell me about your awesome cock."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I said come in! posted:

It's people pretending that they have a difficult time with basic functions, taking care of oneself, cleaning up the house, running errands, etc. Millennials wanting to label themselves as children and then getting upset when everyone views them as such.

Wow, an unironic "those drat Millennials" comment.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GUI posted:

I finished GTAV today. I stand by what I said in another one of my (bad) posts: the city atmosphere and graphics are incredible but the gameplay is absolute garbage. Too bad ~~ video game reviewers ~~ put production values and polish above everything else because that 97% metacritic is crazy. Did no one care about the clunky on-foot movement? Did everyone really love how dozens of missions are interactive driving/piloting cutscenes that you can't fail unless you really intentionally try? Did everyone love how most side missions are 30-100 collectible fetch quests or mind numbing tedium? Did no one care about how the game abruptly wraps up in the final mission with no build-up???? Whatever, video games.

Like it or not, it isn't just video game reviewers. Grand Theft Auto V has remained one of the best-selling games since its release in almost unprecedented ways. It has sold so well that the only way to explain it is not just that it sold well on release but that people have bought it multiple times.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

It says GTA on it.

GTAV has sold something like 3 times what GTAIV sold. It isn't just that.

Edit: and I say this as someone who feels pretty goddamn negative about GTAV, I don't get the appeal of it either.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Feb 27, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Sometimes Atelier Ayesha gets into cute scenes about friendships among women, but then it immediately turns into groping and poorly executed innuendo and ruins what could've been really nice writing. :sigh:

Yeah, the following two games are better about that. Ayesha trails off a bit after the early game but it still can't resist boob jokes when it probably shouldn't.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Motto posted:

Honestly I can't remember that at all. Maybe there's some dialogue I'm forgetting but nothing at the level of the Arland CGs I've seen.

There aren't any Arland cg style things but there's like "We're trapped in a cave together and its dark and oh whoop I grabbed your boobs" and Nio talking about Ayesha's breasts after you rescue her which felt helluva out of place for that scene

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

I still enjoyed the game, since that's not constant and the character designs aren't 365 24/7 titty terror. Still, that poo poo gets old like, immediately, and I'm never going to stop being sensitive to it.

Yeah, I completely get what you mean. I think it's a valid criticism even if I really enjoy the games. It's just a bit "... was that really necessary?"

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Also is it just me or are Ayesha and Sophie significantly easier than Rorona +?

Yes and no. You have more alchemy options instead of needing to spreadsheet them and so creating powerful equipment is easier. Ayesha classic also doesn't have as many insane superbosses to contend with. Ayesha + and the sequels are easier to finish but have significantly harder optional challenges instead. Sophie is kinda lacking in the latter which is a problem for it.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Feb 27, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

glam rock hamhock posted:

Eh, botw looks cool and I have ita ordered but the hype it has now isn't all that different than the hype TP and SS had when they were related so time will tell how much of a bombshell this will end up being

TP had huge amounts of hype and is the best selling Zelda game besides TOOT. It takes a lot of retroactive revision for anyone to pretend like TP didn't have critical levels of hype.(Remember the whole 8.8 kerfluffle?)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

the trick to horizon is that the super-broken weapon isn't any of the Bows but the Rattler. You use the bows to apply debuffs and then unload with the Rattler to kill almost anything in a few hits.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

haveblue posted:

The deku mask is almost certainly the butler's son, don't recall how explicit the game makes this but it totally is

You see him weeping over the corpse-statue that plainly became the Deku Mask in the ending.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I like how nobody is going to ever acknowledge that Avatar had a game already.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

oddium posted:

i'll just say it... avatar mmo!! :D

Make it VR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

codenameFANGIO posted:

It seems like charging money for it is ... illegal??

I am pretty sure they have the license for the property.

• Locked thread