Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I watched most of Enslaved in LP format and it was clear I was missing very little by not playing it myself. Pretty game, but utterly mindless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Just purchased Tales of Berseria. I've been intrigued by that series ever since watching an LP of Symphonia, and I've heard a lot of good buzz about this one. It looks really cool, so I'm excited to get into it once it finishes downloading!

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

As a kid I made it a point to get the best mansion possible in Luigi's Mansion. Now, if I remember correctly, doing this required getting virtually 100% of the money in the entire game. And one thing you absolutely had to do was water the plants outside, because doing it enough times would give you a shitload of money. I went through that entire game, doing everything right, and forgot to water the plants ONE loving TIME.

I got the second best mansion.

It was the first time a video game broke my heart. It would not be the last.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I said come in! posted:

That's the logo for Comedy Central, so I assume this is some silly movie.

Yeah it's a couple people from Broad City and it's just a silly stoner flick. Kinda funny actually.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Monkey Fracas posted:

Damned shiftless Dragon Quest monsters

Having a good time with DQ8 on the 3DS so far- really glad they took out random encounters.

I'm extremely glad random encounters in general seem to be going the way of the dodo. It's made JRPGs considerably more accessible when you can decide where and when you want to grind/fight instead of having to stop every five seconds.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Wooly World is the one video game I was able to play while tripping on acid and it was amazing.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I saw resurrection f in theaters and don't regret it. Movie ruled.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I think I might be an anime

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Prop Wash posted:

I bought MGS Phantom Pain right before leaving on a business trip. It's been a good trip but man I want to get back to tying balloons to things and riding my horse around Afghanistan. I'm having a bit of trouble with the controls because I'm fairly new to PlayStation games. Do you just have to keep playing the game and eventually you internalize the controls? And are these controls fairly universal to PS4 games or am I going to have to relearn everything for the next shooter?

The MGS games all have very unique control schemes that work well but take a long time to get used to and won't translate to any other shooter out there.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Quest For Glory II posted:

mario golf's DLC was fuckin dope

mario golf was insanely dope in general to the point where I'm pretty sure Nintendo just forgot to check on the mario golf team for a couple years and then realized they'd accidentally produced a good game.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Racially themed humor is always going to offend somebody but it helps to 1: Have some kind of a point or shared experience you're drawing from that goes beyond "people who are different from me are bad!" and 2: Actually be funny.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Lumpy the Cook posted:

If that sign had said 'I LOVE RAPE!!' nothing would have happened to him.

Well I uh...disagree?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I hated the ending of mass effect 3 but I still really like the series and even enjoyed 3 quite a bit overall. That said, Andromeda has not shown itself to be even a little interesting in the ways the original games were. I'm of the opinion that any decent writers at bioware left a long time ago.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Nedroid is real good but the artist only updates once in a blue moon.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

All the vgcats dude does these days is post lovely tshirts that attempt to draw on nostalgia nobody has anymore.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I remember when I was a kid, there would be maybe 5-6 games a year that I was really hyped to play. Now, with the indie scene having completely exploded, AAA games having a ton of hits, and early access I feel like that number is up to 20+.

It's not a horrible problem to have but it does lead to some choice paralysis.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

precision posted:

Goddamn Andromeda looks good.

Also, playing Dragon Age: Origins on PC for the first time. Holy poo poo, it's so much better than playing on console it's not even funny.

Enjoy. Origins is one of my favorite RPGs of all time. The combat feels so drat good and every class is viable. (protip: pump dex points into alistair. A tank doesn't need hp when nobody can hit him!)

Check out Awakening too if you haven't played it. They turn up all the classes to 11 and make them insanely OP. It's not hard, but it is a nice little power-fantasy.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

drat and here I thought I had fun with it but I guess I was just tricking myself into liking a bland as gently caress game oh well live and learn

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

a messed up horse posted:

I've played through DA:O I think 4 times. It owns. I think there's still some plot things I never resolved, too.

:yeah:

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I played Stardew valley until 6 am please send help.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Phantasium posted:

The PS1 game was pretty good.

The PS0 game was pretty good.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Viewtiful Jew posted:

The original World War Z book mentions "Gamecubes" specifically when talking about poo poo people brought with them when they tried to flee America to Canada. poo poo they didn't need.

And it's like y'know, given how sturdy their consoles and handhelds used to be that Cube might have saved someones life.

Yeah it really is an effective bludgeon if need be.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

The real shame is we never got a bomberman 0-2.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I got pretty drat good at the Batman: Arkham City combat rooms, especially the Nightwing ones. I just love that combat system, how it's so simple at first but how deep it can be once they're throwing every trick in the book at you and you know if you gently caress up one button press you're going to lose your 300x combo. Plus the takedowns in that game rule, I loved how you could jump off railings and use enemies against another.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I would call vanilla Binding of Isaac: Rebirth about the closest thing to a perfect game I can think of. I can't really think of one bad thing to say about it...maybe that it can get a little too easy? But even then, blue baby runs can kick the rear end of even an experienced player.

The expansions have improved some things, hurt others, they aren't all bad but I wouldn't call the game perfect anymore with their additions.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Finding out you could throw shuriken at giant ants and behead them was a pretty great moment for 10 year old me. Jet Force Gemini was the tits.

Oh, getting to the end and finding out you couldn't beat the game without saving a bunch of dumbass koalas was some garbage though.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Phantasium posted:

I mean if Uncharted is all about the story why were you all just telling them to skip the first one?

The first one is by far the shallowest of the 4 and, other than introducing the main 3 of Sully, Nate and Elena, doesn't really do a whole lot to characterize them.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Do long-rear end manga like that actually feel like they're building to some conclusion or is it just arc after arc so the artists have consistent work until the pen drops from their hand due to a sudden brain aneurysm?

Like, I have a friend that still reads One Piece and it seems strange to me to invest yourself in a story that has gone for literal decades and may go for more.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

The Arkham games seemed to take some inspiration from Fist of the North Star with the cape beatdown. I wanted to find a gif of it but google has failed me.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Welp, start picking your sides now for the inevitable clash between man and cyborg.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I thought Evil Within tanked because it was hot garbage

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

bloodychill posted:

You ever play a game too much and then keep playing it in your head for a little while after you stop? Happening to me with Picross lately. This game is too addictive.

Yesterday I woke up terrified that I wouldn't have as much wood as I needed then I remembered that real life doesn't require as many raw resources as Stardew Valley.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I think it was more people mocking the general marketing behind DA2 which was all about how :krad: the game was and how slower-paced, tactical crpgs like DA: O can get bent this is the future baby mountain dew.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

Mario isn't worth your life!

Mario Is really good

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Sweet Child of Mine and Carry On My Wayward Son are tied for best guitar hero song by merit of looking and feeling somewhat challenging to play but actually being really easy.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I was fighting the robot dog boss in Nuclear Throne and was sure I was about to die since I had no ammo on my only decent gun. Then I found a minigun in a chest...

This game is real good.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I'll fully admit that having an extremely pretty world to drive around in is a big draw for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Did you play Mad Max?

I did not. Looks pretty fun though. I'll check it out when it goes on sale for $5.

• Locked thread