Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Nier: Automata if you can buy from a store that breaks street date

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

Berserk Warriors comes out this month. I'm refusing to type its dumb western name.

I didn't know it had a diff western name, what is it?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

My month is going to be taken up by SMT 4 Apocalypse most likely. And mastering the new Hitman levels.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Regy Rusty posted:

I'm mad at the guy who accidentally got the neutral path in SMTIV and doesn't want to do it because I tried to get it and barely missed and it was very upsetting

I'm glad Apocalypse did away with that bullshit

Wait doesn't Apocalypse have different endings too?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Regy Rusty posted:

Yes but there's no obtuse requirements and you can just pick which one you want. Choices you make throughout still matter but it's because when you make the ending choice if you go the opposite way that you've been acting, there's a gameplay penalty.

Oh cool. Ive just reached 3/8th moon (I met Flynn and then got murked by Odin). How far am I from the split? Ive never actually finished an SMT game so I'm curious how much more game there is after the choice.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Harrow posted:

I finished Odin Sphere last night. I think maybe In Training was the one who said that the whole Armageddon chapter was a real letdown and I have to agree. The story stuff was fine, but god were those some boring boss fights. Onyx wasn't so bad, but he was a repeat boss, and the final boss was kind of neat, but the rest was just mind-numbing.

I didn't realize I'd have to do that like five times over in different permutations to get the special Cornelius and Velvet after-credits scene so I think I'll pass on that.

The "Xtra New Game" thing was a pleasant surprise, though. I was expecting a new game+, but I wasn't expecting it to have new enemy formations and scale everything up to roughly your endgame power level to start with. I'm glad that I have the opportunity to play through the actual fun parts of the game again with all my cool skills and recipes unlocked. Probably going to take a break and play something else (and then play Nioh when it comes out) but I can see myself coming back and doing that one day.

Yeah I still haven't finished that game, I have 3 bosses left and I moved onto to SMT haha. There's so little left I should finish it but because I don't really care about the story it would just be for the trophy.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Nate RFB posted:

For Odin Sphere, keep in mind that in order to get the best ending at least on the PS2 version you had to fight every single boss in the final chapter with every character. I assume that got changed in the remake but man that broke me and got me to just look it up on youtube back in the day.

In the remake you just have to fight them in a certain order, at least.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Hell they just made that padding the entire point of the game in Dragon's Crown.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Really Pants posted:

anyone else remember when games were completed before release :corsair:

Nintendo still releases games.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm really happy that Switch is using carts for the games because probably my #1 least favorite thing about modern gaming is that even when you have the disc in hand and put it into your console theres like an hour where you can't play the game because it has to install. It sounds minor and sure it's a one time thing but it just ticks me off that theres no reason whatsoever to buy physical games for PS4/Xbox.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

1 is also short with a lot of optional areas. 2 and 3 are much longer games

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lobok posted:

-Playing a bit more Hitman but not as much because I've "Mastered" all the levels now.

You may want to check again lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

Cool still doesn't seem worth it considering how awful every other online service they've offered before has been, so if it's even remotely similar it's not worth paying a single cent for!

I would pay 50 dollars a year if miiverse was allowed to live on

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Also the only time anybody had a "good" online service was Late life PS3 PS Plus because they were dropping great big titles from the library to encourage people to subscribe. Once PS Plus became required it became equally as good and bad as every other online service and the Plus games are largely boring

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

CrashCat posted:

What a bizarrely, precisely imprecise estimate

It's cuz it's just converting the yen based estimate of 2 to 3 thousand

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Only for the Wii U version, which is a disc.

Yeah Xenoblade had this as well. Actually I guess I don't know if Switch will require the download too though...

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I liked the GameStop where I used to live because there was a girl there who loved anime games and the simple act of me buying an atlus game seemed to make her happy. Sometimes simple joys are all you need

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

chumbler posted:

You should have married her, and played anime games together.

Maybe. Although now I live somewhere completely different and by a store that breaks street date which is cooler imo

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sounds like I should get a job at GameStop

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

oddium posted:

i don't think i've ever once seen what you're talking about here

From my experience there's one in San Francisco New York and Chicago.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I wanna try to doing a no upgrades run of Plague.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Playing shovel knight on an 8bitdo controller is heavenly.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

I'll start a video game publication for gamers, by gamers!

Hell I'm with you.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

We should get a gamer into the White House

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I highly doubt a bartender would recognize a Polygon writer on sight.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Something like 2% of people who own Guilty Gear Xrd SIGN on PS4 have never even launched the game.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Please post in the Imp Zone, but don't post in the giant bomb thread in the imp zone if its the only thread youre going to post in.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

In case anyone was wondering there wrre approximately 40 people online when I checked the HL1 Deathmatch server list today.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I believe his FFXIII fixes were also officially implemented but I could be wrong.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Volfogg posted:

A day or so late, but who cares. How has everybody's February been so far? All two days of it at least.

- Work on doing some Streaming
- Replay Mega Man 1-6 through the Legacy Collection That's one thing down...although, that started late in January.
- Replay Uncharted 1 for a refresher before 2 and 3
- Replay Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance thanks to 2.8
- Get back over to Round 1 and play some DrumMania again*

*Bonus Plan: See if recording/streaming at the Arcade can actually work with/via my phone. Just an experiment.

That's honestly a shame. It would have been nice to see it actually turn out good.

I've seen people with selfie sticks mounted on cabs steaming from their phone so it's doable

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Nasgate posted:

Fire Emblem heroes is good and fun. Repeatedly murdering the dumb characters from fates and loli dragons with the OG green cavalier and friends is cool and good.

I uninstalled it after 10 minutes

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

How difficult is it to get 100% compendium in SMTIV Apocalypse? I know the original had a few demons locked behind NG+ cycles but I was curious if Apocalypse did as well, but this is the first time in my life I've been let down by GameFAQs. Not a single entry for Apocalypse.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Harrow posted:

I downloaded Fire Emblem Heroes but I honestly don't see myself playing a lot of it because I really, really hate gacha games. I understand you gotta make money somehow but I've never found a gacha game that I felt like I could have fun with without either a) uninstalling and reinstalling to reroll my initial pull for literal hours or b) spending money on essentially gambling.

There are gacha games out there that I'd spend like $20 upfront to have a version without gacha mechanics. Like, Terra Battle? That game's fun as hell, but the gacha poo poo just kills it for me.

Those aren't video games, they're glorified gambling machines that don't pay out and they should be illegal.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Linnaeus posted:

Even without the gacha crap, the maps I played were exceptionally dull and you could only field 4 characters (lol). They also decided not to get a good character artist for some reason.

Yeah, and with a series with pretty great sprite/animation work for the little encounters, there was 0 of that in the tutorial I played.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I think loot crates are just the western version of gacha even if they're not as bad. They're still bad and encourage marketers to design games rather than game designers.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The interesting part about Mario run is that it has one of the highest purchase rates ever for a game like that even though only like 5% of people who downloaded bought it. Apparently it's closer to like 0.5 - 1% of people who put money into F2P games

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I wish there was like a 5 to 10 dollar version of puzzle and dragon that was just a normal video game because I like the mechanics of it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

devtesla posted:

There's one for the 3DS

bloodychill posted:

Didn't it get a normal 3DS release without the gacha?

Yeah but I kinda like using my thumb to move the orbs around

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

A 60 dollar game should not have loot boxes. I don't mind cosmetic purchases but spending 3 dollars on a skin you want is whatever. You can make that decision, I've spent like 5 dollars on Guilty Gear palette swaps for the characters I like to play. But pumping more money into a random system that can also roll dupes is just so hosed and huge, popular successes like Overwatch just normalize that system to be used/abused for decades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Its worse that you offer a monetary exchange but not an exact one, since it preys on the people who really want a specific item and you get 20 dollars out of them instead of the 2 or 3 the skin is actually worth.

• Locked thread