Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I just played through Luigi's Mansion (original) for the first time and got a Rank E house lmao the amount of money you need to get high ranks must be absurd.

Also I still had three Boos left but I didn't know where they were at all and then when I beat the game it overwrote my save file with a NG+ without warning me so I guess I'm done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

It's actually way, way harder to get the lowest grade mansion because you have to basically avoid all money forever.

Good to know E wasn't the lowest then.

So King Boo doesn't count as a boo? But that one boss that was like 20 boos in one does??

Still a mystery where those last three were. I checked all the rooms over again and nothing came up on the boodar. There are two greyed-out rooms on the map (one of them has a door that's boarded up). Is there a way to get in there or something?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Captain Invictus posted:

I've been watching some Lufia 2 Ancient Cave speedruns recently, spurred on by this one in two hours during RPG Limit Break 2016(definitely a pro-watch):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6BnmqhXK5w&hd=1

It makes me wonder though, I played the poo poo out of the ancient cave part of lufia 2 back in the day. Is there any game that is essentially exactly that nowadays, easily available on PC/Steam? I don't mean a standard roguelike like Dungeons of Dredmor and such, but rather a specific RPG-style game similar to the 100-floor design of the ancient cave. There's probably an entire genre out there like it but it doesn't hurt to ask.

So basically a roguelike with turn-based battles then? I'm not sure if such a thing exists apart from the aforementioned FF roguelike romhacks.

I liked the Ancient Cave. One of those one-off neat ideas that just never reappeared in games since.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

exquisite tea posted:

There hasn't been a beat 'em up worthy of the title since like, that fan remake of Streets of Rage 2.

Was that before or after Castle Crashers? That game was pretty good.

Nasgate posted:

Fire Emblem heroes is good and fun. Repeatedly murdering the dumb characters from fates and loli dragons with the OG green cavalier and friends is cool and good.

I'm bitter because that game got an android release out of the box and I'm still waiting for super mario run

Lizard Wizard posted:

Never forget: one of Metal Gear Solid's major installments had a villain named Hot Coldman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6m1_i1neoI

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

http://www.avclub.com/article/castlevania-animated-series-coming-netflix-249984

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Phantasium posted:

I also remember when there was supposed to be a movie with Adam Sandler overcoming his depression by playing Shadow of the Colossus for some loving reason.

Reign Over Me. It wasn't so much that he was doing it to overcome depression but rather Wander's gradual possession by Dormin was supposed to represent the slow deterioration of Sandler's mental state or someshit. It's very weird, though I haven't watched it.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Bicyclops posted:

I went into work today despite it being a snow cancellation, and my boss called me and said "Hey, you're in a union, please go home and do not do any work at all. Thanks." So now I'm kicking rear end in Bloodborne and saying "Thank you, Union." I'm going to go kill the hard guy with the big scythe, who I literally forgot about.

I probably shouldn't be working too for the same reason but I have all of these papers to grade so I might just plink away at them at home today and just not work tomorrow lol.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

MMF Freeway posted:

You can actually, due to the explosion added in later titles

Also in earlier titles the shell just barrels through other racers if they're in the way.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Looper posted:

W-wait what are you trying to say about Peach

Peach is not his girlfriend. This has been canon for over 25 years!

That said, Pauline was also always human so I dunno what they're trying to imply.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I like that they have an R book in that huge ocean of video games. I've been trying to learn R anyway and a good book is generally more than 30 bucks.

I already have a ton of these games so be on the look out for Free Games from Yours Truly!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

http://www.gamefaqs.com/top10/2933-the-top-10-grasses

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

OK I'm playing through Kingdom Hearts for the first time and this game is actually pretty bad, holy poo poo.

Everything is pretty much expected until you hit a boss battle and suddenly it's a damage race between two-hit kill attacks and your idiot teammates cramming potions up your rear end in time.

I'm at the second Ursula battle right now and it's just so, so bad. So bad.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Okay I beat Ursula. Grinding out just one level and putting on Thundara Rings helped big time. Please tell me no more levels take place in the ocean (Monstro doesn't count) because in video games combat and navigation is not necessarily better down where it's wetter.

an actual dog posted:

I would avoid gimmicky savings programs and apps you read about on gizmodo.

I like everything about your username/avatar/title combo

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Sakurazuka posted:

Ursula is basically designed to teach you that Aero is the most broken spell in the game

No kidding, that helped me out a lot too.

Guides online say the battle gets harder when you cast Aero because she increases her lightning attacks or something but after playing it myself that seems like it's bullshit.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Red Bones posted:

If it's KH1 you're talking about, the swimming mechanics/movement from the little mermaid world do come back later in the game, but I can't remember if they are any easier the second time around.

Oh no :(

Sakurazuka posted:

If you're talking about Neverland it's nowhere near as bad.

Oh okay good.

an actual dog posted:

thank you friend

:woof:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I normally listen to podcasts at work but because I'm grading papers and find the chit-chat distracting I'm listening to video game music on YouTube. I dunno if I said this before or not but the Killer Instinct 2013 soundtrack is a work of art and you all should listen to it.

It's composed by Mick Gordon, same guy who did the new Wolfenstein and Doom games.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

why would anyone want to own those awful funko pop things

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

haveblue posted:

Someone what pop culture you're into and ran out of time to get a present

please just don't get me anything (or better yet, get me beer) instead of gifting one of those tacky things tia

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

MinibarMatchman posted:

He's also going to be doing the music for Arkane's next game, Prey, which is gonna own

Man he's doing all the old FPS sequels/reboots! (which is good)

E: Except the ROTT remake, which was by Andrew Hulshult. He kicks rear end too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jkDR9ca9f0

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Feb 16, 2017

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

In Training posted:

They should just used the music from OG Doom

Hulshult's arrangements are really good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTJMDkpOqHI

Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2trYUpmh1eSosLpXYgjZlrHvOrbeU6aE

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Grapplejack posted:

I finally managed to break off of reading QC during the pink robot fight house plotline when I realized nothing interesting was ever going to happen. I'm free.

Yeah thinking about doing the same tbh. I mean he can keep the comic going in whatever direction he wants of course, but I lost most interest a while ago. Slice of life comics aren't my bag anymore I guess.

corn in the bible posted:

So it took you, what, twenty years to stop reading it?

I've been following it for 10 :suicide:

One of the most underrated webcomics was Amazing Super Powers. It was just one-off jokes and gags, similar to SMBC and C&H, with a few animated shorts. The authors found there's more money to be made in mobile games so they just update the site once every six months to advertise their new game. It was just last week when I finally killed it from my daily browsing, as I realized the comic isn't coming back. For what it's worth the games seem pretty good and they keep the comic archive alive so check them out.

There's also the shameless PBF knockoff Truck Bearing Kibble that was pretty funny when it surfaced and very quickly died like ten years ago. The site has been down for a while now though.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 17, 2017

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

uh oh pancho! posted:

I don't think there's ever been a good video game-oriented webcomic, unfortunately.

8-bit theater and RPG World :colbert:

Edit also this:

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Feb 17, 2017

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

FirstAidKite posted:

a bunch of what sound like textbook OCD behaviors (especially #s 2 and 3)

OCD is OCD. Some people are more compulsive, others (like me) are more obsessive; some can manage, others are out of control. It's all the same thing just manifesting in different ways.

Are you under stress lately? My symptoms can suddenly get way out of hand when I'm stressed, to the point where it affects my ability to function at work and home.

There is a thread for this kinda thing: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3336292

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Feb 17, 2017

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Someone a few pages back mentioned a podcast called VGMpire and I want to say thanks whoever you are because this podcast is pretty cool

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The second Oogie Boogie battle has taught me that your greatest foe in Kingdom Hearts is the camera

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Is there anything worthwhile to get from the Hundred Acre Wood minigames? They are so loving awful.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Looper posted:

Are you playing 1 or 2? 2 gives you a sword that makes grinding for drops easier but I don't think 1 gives you anything

The first one, yeah.

Honestly everything about this game is kind of a miserable experience. Would this series have even taken off if it weren't for the Disney and Final Fantasy fan service?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

tap my mountain posted:

What was the last system to have a good lineup of launch titles, PS1?

The GameCube lineup was pretty good.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_game_console_launch_games#Nintendo_GameCube

Also: seems it's tradition for an entry in a new console generation to launch with a Ridge Racer games.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

If you legitimately give a poo poo about a game being exclusive in the year 2017 you're a moran.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmZ0XthctSI

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

oh actually the best launch lineup is the wii virtual console according to that link

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_game_console_launch_games#Wii_Virtual_Console

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

In Training posted:

Its cool that somebody is making a new Bomberman game. I havent seen one second of footage of the new one so dont own me.

Bomberman is fun but I would really like to see another game like Bomberman 64 with an adventure campaign. The other N64 ones were just ok in comparison.

Generations was pretty good tho.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

I love Bomberman 64 and wish there were more Mario 64 rip off games.

Uh, I dunno which Bomberman 64 you played but the one I love can't possibly be considered a "Mario 64 rip off"

Red Bones posted:

Are you playing the remaster? I think that is meant to fix some of the janky camera controls.

The original. I heard the Final Mix HD version fixed up a lot of poo poo, but I don't have a PS4 oh well.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

If you thought Turok's fog and draw distance were bad, whoo boy.

Edit: I'm looking at screenshots of Glover and... it's not foggy at all?? What the hell am I remembering???

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

In Training posted:

It's ironic that once consoles added two joysticks and solved the problem of camera control in 3D platformers the genre died the following week

Kingdom Hearts still used the shoulder buttons for camera controls lmao.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

codenameFANGIO posted:

I have purchased Resident Evil 4 on so many platforms it is ridiculous. As a matter of fact it may be time to finish another game of Resident Evil 4 on Wii with the handcannon again because why the gently caress not.

I don't think there is any game I purchased more than RE4.

Granted that's only three times but still I spent money on the same game three times and I don't regret a single dollar because RE4 is perfect.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Zaggitz posted:

I also replay La Mulana(the remake or EX, depending on what I feel like playing it on.) very often and have the very hard to get plat for it as well as all the steam cheevos.

:eyepop:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I used to consider myself proficient at many video games until I started to check out online communities for such games.

Here are the ones I consider myself "best at"

- Super Mario Bros
- Super Mario World
- Super Metroid
- Metroid Prime
- Turok Dinosaur Hunter

I can't get anywhere close to speedrun levels or anything but I can practically play through those games with my eyes closed and that's probably good enough.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Oxford University is older than the Aztec Empire.

Wait what?

Wikipedia posted:

Teaching at Oxford existed in some form as early as 1096, but it is unclear when a university came into being.

Woah...

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Edmond Dantes posted:

I'm pretty good at games in general, but then I see the insane poo poo people pull off nowadays with games I could consider myself good at and suddenly my frame of reference goes out the bloody window.

:same: I have it for the GC, PS2, the PS3 HD version and the latest PC version. I also finished it on a friend's Wii.

Yeah I have the GC, Wii, and XBL HD versions.

Fun fact: Doom is one of my favorite games ever but I still haven't purchased it on Steam yet. The reason? I ripped the WADs from the Collector's Edition CDs I bought like 13 years ago and have kept them with me ever since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

In Training posted:

Also because if you buy the steam version chances are it just doesnt work on your machine because its a lovely version of Doom with no support. I bought it and spent more time trying to apply mods to patch it vs. just downloading gzdoom and being done with it and refunding the version on steam.

The Steam versions should still come with WAD files though?

• Locked thread