Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
suuma
Apr 2, 2009
I beat 3 games in January so I'm mostly going to spend February trying to not buy Yakuza til I whittle down my backlog a bit more.

Time to finally get more than an hour into Bloodborne and beat Dying Light whenever my friends are available.

e: I've also told myself I need to beat Bloodborne and DkS3 before I get Nioh which means I'll probably get Nioh in like October.

suuma fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Feb 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

Loose Ifer posted:

It took me setting aside an entire afternoon to actually get into bloodborne this past week, but now i can't put it down. Once you get out of the first area and start opening shortcuts it get's a lot more fun imo.

Yeah, it's great. I just got involved in other games and put it down for a while.

I know everybody says they're not super comparable but I can't help making the comparison - I beat Dark Souls 1 like 15 times and got all of the achievements, but just couldn't really get into 2. 3 was great but I never finished it because there was too much other stuff to play.

suuma fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Feb 1, 2017

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Wasn't PoE2 already fully funded and they were just doing the thing on fig for more cash?

I like Obsidian and their games a lot but poo poo like "well if we get 100k more dollars we'll do more voiceover than we planned!! seems kinda dumb.

Oh we got x dollars I guess we can increase the level cap arbitrarily!

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

On the other hand, cosmetic loot crates allow for support for some games farther than they otherwise would get, like tf2 and others. They don't affect gameplay either. And good ones allow the loot to, generally, drop outside of the crates, though maybe without some special aspect (in tf2's case, special effects or stat counters).

The newer addition of "you won't get dupes until you've gotten one of everything" is a good one too. So long as they don't affect gameplay I've got no qualms against lootboxes, and this is not me saying this because I deal in csgo/dota/tf2 items, since there's a hell of a lot more games that do it than those three.

TF2 is full of items that change gameplay, though?

e: at least it was when I played it, maybe you only get cosmetics from crates I don't know

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Welp, beat Bloodborne finally. A+ would bleed again.

Holy poo poo there's a lot of optional/missable content though. I definitely missed a lot.

Is the DLC worth it?

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Maybe she's sad because she can only wear clothes made of her own magic hair.

Bayonetta was weird.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Bloodborne is a pretty good stand-in for Castlevania at this point, for me anyway.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Grinding the 10,000 in Central Yharnam isn't so bad at least if you're killing the stuff that drops blood vials more often (i.e. the big dudes).

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

Is there any reason I should be saving Coldblood Dew? I sort of forgot about them and I have a ton.

The Coldblood items serve as blood echoes that you can carry around and not lose when you die. You can use them if you want, generally I save them (and the similar items in Dark Souls) until I need to buy something that I can't afford or recover from a death. Later on you get so many blood echoes that farming 6-10 vials per pass through Central Yharnam is kind of tedious.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

Are vials really that hard to come by later? I feel like I can't get enough of them right now. I try not to use them unless I'm fighting a boss, in the middle of a long, extended trek, or I just fought something is probably going to drop one and I'm missing a little health. I don't think I've ever used 10 or more, it just seems like at the point where you need that much healing, you're already dead.

They're not hard to come by at all - there's a decent farming path that involves warping to the bridge (Cleric Beast) and clearing to Tomb of Oeden (Father Gascoigne) where you're guaranteed 6 + random drops (usually 10 or so) and it takes all of like 4 minutes. It's just tedious when you use 15 for a boss and have to go farm them again.

The other Dark Souls games (at least, DkS1 that I remember) had much higher Souls (blood echoes) costs for upgrading weapons, so it helped to have some Coldblood/whatever on hand. Bloodborne seems to be a bit more generous about it.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
I figured that probably means World War 2, maybe WW1 if they want to keep copying what EA/DICE is doing.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

Loose Ifer posted:

I got the the fire dog the first chalice dungeon last night, in Bloodborne. He's a tough dog.

On this topic, when are chalice dungeons intended to be done? Are they near end-game content? I just started NG+ but wondering if I go in now if I'll get destroyed, versus going in around the time I'd be ready to go NG++, if that makes any sense?

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

MMF Freeway posted:

They scale from early game difficulty into post-game difficulty by the end. I also don't think they scale with NG+ so you are gonna destroy the first like 75% of them at your level.

In Training posted:

They don't scale to NG+ so you will destroy the first 90% of them. They're designed to be played parallel to the progression

Oops.

Okay, cool, thanks. I think I only have access to one at the moment anyway. I skipped so much on my first playthrough without realizing.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
what is everybody playing this weekend?

I can't decide between Bloodborne and Factorio

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
I want to pick up Nioh but I'm forcing myself to finish Bloodborne first. May or may not finish up DkS3 first too, I'll probably be tired of Souls-likes by then.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

Rexroom posted:

Blizzard thinks otherwise. To the level that they are campaigning console makers not to bring mouse controllers to their platforms.

Which brings me to another point: Why aren't developers using the sixaxis system on those DualShock controllers? It worked for Splatoon, right? Hell, even Steam Controllers have a similar system. What's the excuse?

Why don't console makers just add keyboard/mouse support for games/consoles and be done with it?

e: like seriously every game should just be a PC version and you can use whatever control you want, controller gimmicks like the wii are stupid

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Right, I get it, console shooters don't have mouse support because some players would then have an advantage, but if everybody has access to it what's the problem?

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Is there (or was there, ever, I guess?) a Watch Dogs 2 thread? I looked back several pages and tried search and could only find the first one.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Personally I don't really care about ME:Andromeda because ME was already a trilogy that ended. "Well it's about another part of the ME universe" is sort of like having a Star Wars movie with no ties to any of the central Star Wars characters.

I'll probably still play it.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

CJacobs posted:

It is neat, but I feel like they went about it in the wrong order. You meet the legion guys first thing, then you go into the town hall to find out what happened. imo it would've been better to have them waiting outside after you investigated, so you hear about how lovely and scary they are and you get some time to say "boy I hope I don't meet those guys" before you immediately do.

The plot of New Vegas always has bothered me some because I don't understand why any of the major factions need you. The NCR doesn't need you because they're a literal army that is presently tied up by bureaucracy (which you don't have to even resolve). Caesar's Legion doesn't need you because they already have spies able to infiltrate even the most closely watched and guarded places in the whole wasteland. House doesn't need you because you don't have the platinum chip anyway- and while Benny does have it, he was working on a way to get under House's guard anyway that immediately works when you try it.

I always felt like the factions wanted you because you had (or at least, they thought you had) the chip, and therefore access to House and everything that comes with.

As the game stands the NCR/Legion stuff isn't nearly as fleshed out as House, and Independent just works, so those are the only two endings I ever played for.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Do you guys think its weird that CAD characters only have 4 fingers

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Counterpoint: Doom had 1 good song and the rest is crappy djent but as music to listen to in the game it's rather good.

Mick Gordon seems like a cool guy though

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
FF14 was cool but doing 100% of the story fetch quests to unlock game features is not good design.

e: seriously half the quests are "run all the way across the world and hide behind this box for 3 seconds while something happens and then come back"

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

Loose Ifer posted:

Bloodborne is my GOTY i wish it would go on forever.

I finally got around to this this year and it's v good, if a bit short. I missed a ton of the optional content on my first playthrough (like all of Cainhurst) I think though.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
why

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

CJacobs posted:

favorite Genesis music!

Gunstar Heroes

fight me

e: also Ristar

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Dynamite Headdy was good but it's weird to hear the music without all of the explosions and the player character yelling over and over.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Lol, released in theaters in November, DVD release was 3 days ago ... it's still in theaters.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

Harrow posted:

Hey, look, they're actually showing off Mass Effect Andromeda gameplay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrWgLMH8yRU

ME:A looks really good and cool but all of the squad members seem really boring.

Like the humans are always the worst characters in ME, lets have like 5 human squad members.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

In Training posted:

As a general question to the thread, what game were you best at? It doesn't need to be like professional level play or being a speedrunner, but everyone's had their obsessions throughout gaming. What game absorbed your time and you wanted to master in your own way?

Dota 1, but I'm pretty bad now. Just can't keep up with the meta and all my friends stopped playing, and playing with randos is pretty infuriating. I watch the ~pro dota~ player interviews and that was basically me, but I never really played outside of pub games.

Also Dark Souls 1, I 100%'d it but was at like ng+7 by the time I got every achievement and that poo poo was tough. DkS2 didn't grab me at all, I haven't finished Dks3 but Bloodborne is consuming all of my time now. I'm trying to hold off on Nioh until it goes on sale at this point.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Battletoads and a lot of the other crazy hard NES/Genesis/SNES games blow my mind because imagine trying to make a $60 AAA game that literally millions of dollars went into like that now where you have a stage that's practically unbeatable.

It's funny how many old games I never actually beat growing up because they didn't have saves or anything like that.

e: I mean I guess Dark Souls is a thing but that's not really comparable to some of the stuff from Battletoads in my eyes

suuma fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Feb 20, 2017

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
UC4 was fine, but I don't know that anybody picked it up expecting it to be the game of the decade or anything.

As far as invoking feelings from the previous games, I played UC2 in like 2010 and UC3 in 2012 and I forgot who Elena was while playing UC4.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

i dont get it

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

Berserk is a dark fantasy comic that has been in serialization for close to 30 years. While popular, it rather infamously went on a bunch of hiatuses in recent years that resulted in what was initially thought to be a short little arc (the characters got on a boat to go to their main destination) which wound up getting stretched across 10+ years real time.

Haha that's awesome.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Shadow of Mordor was really fun when you started but after about 3-4 hours you were insanely overpowered and the only thing that could really kill you was like 4 captains showing up at once.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Bulletstorm was okay but it suffered from being tied to GFWL. I can't imagine wanting to play a ps4 remaster of it though, that's weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

MinibarMatchman posted:

presuming I do the Target B2G1 sale, what should be the free game if I get Horizon Zero Dawn and Nier Automata. I don't have a Switch so maybe I should just pick up Wildlands and then sell it away or something.

I'd say Zelda but if it runs like dogshit on the WiiU there's no way I want it. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Have you played Nioh

• Locked thread