Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I guess the other big games are horizon and for honor but I'm not very confident in either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

My money's still on Andromeda for Biggest Disappointment of 2017.

What's going on with No Man's Sky these days

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Does anyone know if the February PS+ games are any good (LittleBigPlanet 3/Not a Hero)

Has the platforming gotten any better since the first LBP

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I'll start a video game publication for gamers, by gamers!

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Why is sonic still alive

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Does Yakuza count as a beat 'em up

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

At least it wasn't Advance Wars that they decided to try the mobile thing with or that series might have died

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I like overwatch lootboxes because it's all cosmetic stuff and I get at least one or two each time I play. They added a new mode called arcade a few months ago where 3 wins gets you a lootbox (you can get 3 boxes per week this way) and it's a good incentive to boot up the game few times each week

idk it's just kind of satisfying and I don't feel any need to put real money into the game

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

oddium posted:

consumer watchdog alert: invictus is flush with hat baron cash

How does that work

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I mean you can buy skins with credits

e: I think the only really scummy thing overwatch ever did was the first event (the olympics one) where you could only get the olympic skins from rio loot boxes during the event and you couldn't buy any of them with credits

Help Im Alive fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Feb 3, 2017

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Harrow posted:

As for the "it's only cosmetic" thing, I'm inclined to agree with Jim Sterling's argument, which starts around here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWTsJZD3YFQ&t=213s

In short, though, his point is that Overwatch's loot crate system very closely follows a free-to-play model intended to sort of psychologically press you into spending money. It does this by making it take a very long time to unlock things through normal gameplay, showing you all the cool things you could have if you were lucky enough to get them, and stuffing the loot tables with crappy sprays and voice lines. Then it also lets you turn up duplicates of things you already have and gives you a tiny amount of credits for them, so you can't even take comfort in knowing that you're getting all those sprays out of the way--they can just turn up again. And on top of all of that, this is in a game that you've already paid money to play, so you're getting hit with this manipulative microtransaction system on top of paying full price for the game.

And yes, it's all 100% cosmetic, but I'm convinced by Sterling's argument that cosmetic content is still part of the game experience, especially when it's the only progression mechanic the game has. Cosmetics matter, people care about cosmetics, so while cosmetic-only microtransactions are definitely better than gameplay-affecting microtransactions, they're still lovely in full-priced commercial game.

You seriously get a ton of lootboxes now with the arcade mode though

I caved in and bought lootboxes a couple times early on when levelling up was the only way to get them (maybe like $15 total) but at this point you can easily get a lootbox every time you play

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Are mobas secretly fun when you understand how to play them or are they as bad as they look

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

every final fantasy at once? thats gonna be one pissed off crystal chronicles party that has to carry mr. multitask's rear end

No he's playing final fantasy xi on like 10 different accounts apparently (and XV on one TV I guess)

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I mean he's not playing Hitman on 47 monitors

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

I hate that the term for that stuff is "downloadable content", we could've done better

Season pass is the one I don't like

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Why didn't you give a thumbs up

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I managed to get through the talos principle fairly smoothly without looking up any solutions (except for some of the stars) but some of the puzzles in the DLC were way too much for my tiny broken brain

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It's probably something like they don't realise there are buttons on the controller to attack + block

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I really need to buy doom one of these days

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I guess I'm just surprised at how much it gets hyped up

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The first MMORPG I played was called tibia and it was v bad but I put probably hundreds of hours into it with my best friend in like 2004

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Contra 4 is the only one I've really played but it owns

I also watched someone play whichever Contra Treasure made and it looked fun. One of the bosses reminded me of sevenforce

e: i looked it up and apparently treasure did not make contra hard corps my bad

oddium posted:

i also quote unquote played this as a kid but i never got farther than loading it up and walking around for a few minutes before never playing again

You made the right choice

Last year I bumped into the friend I used to play it with and he was still playing in 2016 :eyepop:

Help Im Alive fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Feb 5, 2017

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Does anyone ever wish they didn't spend twenty thousand hours playing video games

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Chomp8645 posted:

I only regret that I have but one life to spend playing video games.

kill me

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

I wish games had female characters

well here's one where you can be shodan and have a dead wife

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Mario should be the only video game character allowed to have lives

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Did the Gwent game turn out to be any good

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Has anyone ever had a pair of headphones that lasted more than 6 months or am I just cursed

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Maybe it's because I like the in-ear type headphones. The base of the cable always ends up getting frayed then they lose sound in one ear. I think I take pretty good care of them idk

Luckily the pair that broke comes with 3 year warranty but this would be my second time getting them replaced (because the first pair also lasted 6 months) and idk if that's allowed but I emailed their customer support. Maybe I just need to spend £2000 on crazy audiophile headphones someday and hope they last forever

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I'd buy all the video games so I'm the only one allowed to play them

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

There are tracking devices in all the funkos so the government knows who is trash

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Which is the smelliest type of convention

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Does anyone know why my PS4 always needs 25+GB of space before it'll let me download like a 50mb update

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Lots of games are worth 60 dollars imo

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

CJacobs posted:

Why would you ever buy a game for anything besides the cheapest price you can find it for?

Because there are some games I want to play as soon as they come out

And Nintendo games basically never go on sale

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I thought E3 was already public for a long time then they made it games industry people only a few years back

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The united states sounds like a living nightmare

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I'm fine with spiders but I'm stuck on Social Interaction Castle because the boss requires too much eye contact

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Would people still be afraid of spiders if they were the half spider half topless woman you see in video games (i can only think of one example but I think there are lots)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The scariest video game things when I was a kid were the bowser fights in Super Mario World and Yoshi's Island

• Locked thread