Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

Yeah, I have seen exactly 0 locally owned game stores that aren't pawn shops.

There was one right in my town but it just unexpectedly shuttered last month

They had a bunch of old cartridges and stuff in there and the owner seemed like a nice guy :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dragon Quest 8 posted:

Yangus's Humanity level increased!

He becomes a sentimental old sausage!

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Shovel Knight somehow strikes this uncanny balance between feeling like an old game while having none of the annoying issues that actual old games have.

It's really a true gem and I can't wait to see what Yacht Club does next once they're finished delivering on alllllllll of the stretch goals.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

oddium posted:

there's a dev diary about how plague knight originally collected like 10 different materials from different levels to craft stuff but it was awful so they made plague knight fun instead

I really appreciate this

"Waaaiiiit a minute... crafting sucks! Dammit!"

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

exquisite tea posted:

All the original great beat-em ups were conceived out of 80s zeitgeist fears of organized crime and urban decay, now in today's political climate I think the opportunity is there for a modern revival where you beat down nazis and corporate shills with razor-lined briefcases.

In Ninja Warriors you are a Robot Ninja and you must stop the bad guy who is some kinda corrupt tyrant with an evil government/corporation/loosely affiliated group of evil municipalities (it's not super-clear)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvSsnf0BOWc

Close, but not quite...

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Damned shiftless Dragon Quest monsters

Having a good time with DQ8 on the 3DS so far- really glad they took out random encounters.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

PantsBandit posted:

Wooly World is the one video game I was able to play while tripping on acid and it was amazing.

It is unquestionably the fuzziest, safest game except perhaps Epic Yarn

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'm probably gonna wait a bit on Nioh, kinda BloodBurned out on Souls-ey stuff right now.

Definitely excited for Nier though

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Ran into my first brick wall in Dragon Quest 8- first time you fight the Magic Clown jerk. Just was not leveled up enough- like there's kinda no way around "your numbers are too low to make this work" in this game.

Thankfully Metal Slime hunting is easy and fast. Really glad those things are in the game or grinding up a few necessary levels before a boss would be a real drag.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

MMF Freeway posted:

You can also do a lot of alchemy crafting at that point since the argonia bazaar just opened up.

Yeah, spent a little time looking up what I could do and have everyone pretty well kitted out- just was getting wrecked regardless. Apparently the Alchemy Pot wasn't instantaneous in the PS2 release...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Shindragon posted:

Normally when I double dip on a remaster or a re release of an old game, it tends to bank on either nostaglia or improvements.

3DS DQ8 has spoiled me.

When I got random encounters with the boat, I went ah random battles oh I do not miss them. Everything else is top notch though.

Also Dhoulmagus is a pretty hard boss so yeah I would say be around.. level 28 to take him on and even then he still be a pain in the rear end.

It's actually the first time in the game I've had to do any grinding at all so that's pretty good- lack of random encounters has probably allowed me to skip more fights than I would have otherwise and led to me being a little underleveled.

Whenever I see a monster I haven't fought I go after it so I can read the little description in the battle record. Those are fun- gives the palette-swapped monster designs a little more life via flavortext.

• Locked thread