Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I noticed something pretty fascinating psychology-wise while playing through the chalice dungeons in Bloodborne the one time (that I will never do again). At first I started off as frightened of the spiders as I usually am, but over time I grew almost annulled to the fear of them. I would see them hanging from the ceiling and go "ew", but I wouldn't want to shut off the game immediately.

To this day I still believe that's the only reason I was able to finish them, I saw and fought SO MANY SPIDERS in such a short time that I grew almost used to seeing them. Occasionally I would open a closed door and there'd be 10 spiders on the other side and I would freak the gently caress out but drawing them one-on-one or rushing into a group to beat up the bell lady spawning them became not only possible, but feasible! I tried again several weeks later and was back to the shut-the-game-off instinct. Very interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

It is done :hai:

Someone who's played it tell me when the spiders come in so I know when to anticipate their arrival.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Nioh is okay so far. It's like a less bad Lords of the Fallen. I should not have bought it for 60 bucks but I am enjoying myself.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Verdict on nioh after 4-ish hours: Eh, it's okay. I don't really see where the praise it got in reviews is coming from, imo it's not hard in the fun way where the difficulty comes from enemy and area design. The damage between you and enemies is really imbalanced- standard enemy types are pretty easy even if they can stun lock you to death in one combo, and big enemy types and bosses are way overpowered and can kill you in two hits. There's no compromise. The combat is fun though, the multiple stance thing is a cool idea.

If I can get through the spiders I'll probably finish it. I regret buying it for 60 bucks.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I played each of the public betas and they were much easier and more balanced than this. When I said this:

CJacobs posted:

I would say that's not the unlikeliest explanation because that was the case with Dark Souls 2 for sure. There is precedent for hard-rear end games having slightly-less-hard-rear end demos.

edit; rewording

I did not expect to be so on the money.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Lakbay posted:

Most people are finding retail release way easier than the demos, myself included

I'm happy for you, but boy do I disagree that that's the case. As the gap between the difficulty of the designated "easy" mobs and "hard" mobs grows the more I play, the less I like the game.

edit: Either way, the real lesson here is not "don't buy a game for 60 dollars without checking it out first", the real lesson is "don't buy a game for 60 dollars ever under any circumstances"

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Feb 8, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Help Im Alive posted:

Lots of games are worth 60 dollars imo

Why would you ever buy a game for anything besides the cheapest price you can find it for?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Help Im Alive posted:

Because there are some games I want to play as soon as they come out

And Nintendo games basically never go on sale

Granted, that is the reason I bought Nioh for 60 dollars, so fair enough. I am definitely not making this mistake again though!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

LawfulWaffle posted:

I think there' more Ninja Gaiden in the formula than you were expecting. It also requires re-thinking how you approach combat, as Bloodborne has probably left you with some habits that don't jive here. Since there were three trial periods it's been possible for some people to practice Nioh's fighting style before being thrown into the game, which makes the learning curve a lot smoother. Your verdict reads almost exactly like someone who plays a Souls game for the first time: enemies are too hard and I die too often.

[tips]

It's a lot faster than Dark Souls, maybe faster than Bloodborne. Getting in to do some damage and getting out to zone your opponent are key skills and it's easy to get carried away with a combo that leaves you without Ki to block or dodge. Even big enemies who can kill you in one hit have moves that can be exploited, it just takes patience.

But hey, if you still don't like it that's fine. There's going to be lots of good games this year.

Those are good tips, thanks. I'm glad you can respec because the game as far as I am aware did not tell me you can do that, so I've been weighing my stat choices far heavier than I probably should.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
When will we get 3D Dot Game Heroes on PC, I ask.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

FirstAidKite posted:

I wonder what from is working on for the switch

Maybe 3d dot game heroes 2

Man I hope so, 3D Dot Game Heroes was a lot of fun.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The Black Stones posted:

This isn't a thing in the states?

It is, I do it every time I go to Olive Garden :shrug:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Here comes the most american opinion: I can definitely see why chip & pin is useful, it has helped prevent the 0 digital thefts attempted on my debit card and the extra 20 seconds every transaction now takes gives me ample time to stare directly into the cashier's eyes until I can sense their fear and they give me a last-minute discount!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Screw all you not-getting-snow people, I'll just be over here buried under this mountain

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
New joke I just thought of because I blasted a man's head off with the matchlock rifle: I shot a man in Nioh, just to watch him die

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Chomp8645 posted:

Dang I'm only two out of four.

Oh well maybe if I just sit inside playing video games I won't notice the burning.

Congrats on being a christian millionaire

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
We can all suffer together!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Agnostalgia posted:

So hey, for the arachnophobe interested in Nioh, got some helpful info for you. The spider enemies are introduced in a level called "Spider Nest Castle" in which you fight almost exclusively giant spiders (in multiple sizes, from giant to way giant) while navigating a castle that is covered in spider webs and full of spider eggs (out of which pop more spiders). At the end you fight the boss, an even bigger and grosser spider. So good luck and godspeed.

I asked in the Nioh thread if said spiders stick around for other levels after their appearance or if Spider Nest Castle is the only place they show up, and nobody has answered me. I'm afraid to play it even more now for fear of what I might unleash on the Nioh game world. :smith:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Well, h-here I go

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I loving did it. gently caress spiders, gently caress spiders forever.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Blackfyre posted:

Wow you've gone from hating spiders to really loving them.

The lady half of that lady spider got me goin va va vooooom

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Mordja posted:

Very cute.

I'm sorry, that's incorrect.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Captain Invictus posted:

I bet a tarantula bite would just tickle your allergies.

You really are just the shittiest poster

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Help Im Alive posted:

Would people still be afraid of spiders if they were the half spider half topless woman you see in video games (i can only think of one example but I think there are lots)

Based on Queelag: No probably not

Based on the one I just fought in Nioh: gently caress yeah I still would be

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Harrow posted:

I dunno, I'd be pretty scared of a giant topless spider lady who could vomit lava all over the place. That's pretty scary.

I mean, if it were real life and I was just me, I probably still would be. If I were the dark souls protagonist however, I would be less frightened.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's exactly what I expected to see and I'm still disappointed.

edit: why that girl got a lit fuse in she anus

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

oddium posted:

their clothes fall off

"BREAK", as in, "gimme a"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
lol the ambiguously brown one is straight-up just wearing a g-string

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Is this real or is it photoshoped I legitimately cannot tell

edit; haha it is real look at that guy's stupid tiny head

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Waypoint is really bad.

edit: Vice in general is bad also.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

bloodychill posted:

I like it in concept even if it's not my thing because I like the idea of people just having fun writing about games and dumb stories about games. It reminds me of all the silly poo poo I read in the letters section of Nintendo Power. Fans just having fun.

It would stand a chance of pulling that off if it were not for Austin Walker who is unable to have fun doing anything without also saying "but maybe.... this is bad...."

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Captain Invictus posted:

you don't like austin? why, because he's fun and you're not? :smugdog:

His articles about video games are way too socio-political, on video he laughs the same as everyone else

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

bloodychill posted:

Oh nooooo we c...

Who cares

He asked why I don't like Austin Walker, what do you mean "who cares"

edit: granted I don't think it was a genuine question

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I mean, if you have a problem when people talk about social issues with regard to, say, Battlefield Hardline, or Mafia III, or Ghost Recon, I don't think the problem is with Austin

I don't have a problem with it, it's just not what I like to read in my free time. Games like Mafia 3 obviously want you to think about that stuff and Austin has decided that is his niche. What makes Waypoint bad to me is that they pair this introspection on society at large with "how would pokemon gently caress", two things that cannot coexist and be taken seriously imo

bloodychill posted:

It was not. If people are writing about video games in a way that satisfies their intellectual curiosity and other people enjoy it, power to them. I'm not going to trash someone because they think about stories or characters a certain way. I like that people think about that just like I like that people really think about game design and pacing and other people really think about the art that goes into games and still others are really into the programming challenges. A ton of work goes into games so when fans really get into it and think about aspects of it, it's good in my opinion.

Maybe I should have said "His articles about video games are way too socio-political for me" then because I wasn't trying to imply that it's bad to do so like people think I am

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Captain Invictus posted:

you cannot have seriousness as well as tongue in cheek on the same website. that is heresy

To some extent you can, but the line probably should be drawn somewhere short of "what if there was a video game high school a la my favorite fanfiction.net story, also game of the year or something w/e"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

You literally said

I said that because it is. They very poorly mesh two totally different worlds of journalism together. The people running the site don't know what they want it to be, or at least it seems that way to me as an outside observer. Which is a different statement about a different subject than the first thing you quoted

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

oddium posted:

turning japanese is about playing video games i think. i don't know i don't think i've ever actually heard it

On I Love The 80s on VH1 they said it was about orgasming and that's all I know about it

edit: oh no that's an unfortuante page topper

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

devtesla posted:

it's cause you sqint when you orgasam, just like when you do a racist impression of a Japanese person.

Well I dunno, cuz the comedians they had on were split on this. Some of them believed it is, others believed it was not and the band denied it. What is the truth. Which of the washed up comedians on I Love The 80s is correct.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

raditts posted:

Randomly selected for the chance to pre-order? :lol::lol:

Now, what I assumed was that they'd get a free pre-order and that's what the sweepstakes were.

But see that little asterisk there?

quote:

"Tomorrow only, guests can stop by GameStop for a chance to pre-order one of 1000 Nintendo Switch consoles, which will be available at launch on 3/3. GameStop stores and guests will be selected at random throughout the day on Saturday. They just walk in and ask and don't have to purchase anything. Also, it's zero money down."

That's right! raditts is somehow literally correct!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fringerider/apocalypse-now-the-game

It’s like Fallout: New Vegas on acid in the middle of the Vietnam War.

• Locked thread