Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Really glad they went with the option to keep him silent, it made those cutscenes the best.

Especially whe he meets Amy. Even Classic Sonc is just like oh loving hell.

edit: I would've liked if they went with the Hedgehog Boom concept art instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Lurdiak posted:

Double Dragon 4 isn't very good. :( I mean, it's not a bad game, but it's an obviously rushed one that clearly didn't really spend any time on polish. The nostalgic sprites are neat, and all the old Double Dragon moves are there (except the one where you sit down on a downed enemy and beat them to a pulp, for some reason), all the old enemies are back, but the feel of the game is wrong. This is no mega man 9, where the feel of the old games is recaptured perfectly, and it feels like picking up where the series left off. Despite the diverse moveset, the game's pace is so hectic that you're almost always better off just doing basic punches and kicks. Enemy attacks come too quick to really anticipate, so instead of trying to read the opponent and fighting them, you're just mashing the attack button and hoping to do as much damage as possible before you get knocked down by some surprise super move, which almost all enemies have now. The deliberate rhythm of the old games is nowhere to be seen. The story in a game like this doesn't really matter, but the translation isn't very good all the same.

If you guys just want to remember playing Double Dragon 2 with your little brother, buy this and play through it once and forget about it, and it's probably 7 dollars well spent. But if you're an insane person like me and think way too highly of a mostly-dead beat-em-up series, this is kind of a letdown. Double Dragon Advance and Double Dragon Neon are some of the most fun I've ever had playing games, and while that's a really high bar to clear, I was at least hoping this game could do its own thing well and recapture what was great about the NES entries in the DD series. Too bad.

/5

Awww man, that sucks. Also goddamn it why only local co op. Who really plays PC games with a buddy next to him if it's not a lan party. Either that or get two USB dongles/wires for controllers I guess.

Every single loving beat em up I have, none of them have online co op, just local and it's like goddamn it. LET me beat up drat goons with my friends.

I can only hope that River City Ransom Undeground is really good. We need more beat em ups drat it.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

exquisite tea posted:

All the original great beat-em ups were conceived out of 80s zeitgeist fears of organized crime and urban decay, now in today's political climate I think the opportunity is there for a modern revival where you beat down nazis and corporate shills with razor-lined briefcases.

Totally would be down for this.

Final Fight's next game should be this. The mayor of Earth suplexing nazis.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Help Im Alive posted:

I guess I'm just surprised at how much it gets hyped up

I'ts more along the facts how goons poo poo on DOOM so hard because it had the red flag warnings it's gonna be poo poo and WORST GAME ever, blah blah, usual negative SA goon hyperbole.

It's good and I did enjoy it. The MP is whatever, the story's ending sucks and the last levels did get samey.

Last boss fight is a drat good one though. I say give it a whirl. I mean if it goes on sale for like 20, I dont' think you'l feel ripped off for what it gives.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I always took it our protag/self didn't give a poo poo considering how much hosed up crap we do.

I mean Demon Souls had a boss going yo leave us alone and you just went nah and killed her in cold blood.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

I still can't believe it. We are actually getting the conclusion to this series. It took what 10 years or more?

Man I feel old.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

MMF Freeway posted:

One of the many great QoL features in the 3ds version

Normally when I double dip on a remaster or a re release of an old game, it tends to bank on either nostaglia or improvements.

3DS DQ8 has spoiled me.

When I got random encounters with the boat, I went ah random battles oh I do not miss them. Everything else is top notch though.

Also Dhoulmagus is a pretty hard boss so yeah I would say be around.. level 28 to take him on and even then he still be a pain in the rear end.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Monkey Fracas posted:

lack of random encounters has probably allowed me to skip more fights than I would

I've been doing that so much in this game. Just been like nope don't wanna fight you.

I get by doing psyche ups throughout boss battles. Yangus is my heavy hitter. It's a shame they nerf'd the whips. Eight/Jess/Yangus use to be my phsyical heavy hitters. Still her Staff magic is still drat useful.

So far i"ve only gone out of my way to fight for the camera codex because EVEN I didn't know there were special monsters in the game after defeating a certaint type 30 times, etc.

Also the Camera feature is great. Warms my heart in the group photo that Eight and Yangus can do a special pose of them being bros.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Man today can eat a dick. Nothing worse than going through phone interviews/ on site interviews and then getting jack squat on the gig.

I hate looking for QA jobs. Just.. blah.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

ImpAtom posted:

Job hunting is the worst no matter what job you're looking for.

I haven't tried other fields but are they just as bad at responding? LIke I've done QA for quite a bit (passion at this point) but one thing I never liked about the industry is how notriously SLOW they are at responding to applications. (like taking a month to six months to respond)

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Wamdoodle posted:

Send in QA reports of how the interview went. Make them self conscious/show them how observant you are.

Yup, sent an email saying thanks for the interview and how can I improve more.

The frustrating part is I do have the experience but I"m horrible at selilng myself.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
And then the music kicks in and this sums it up for me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WSe9ugpXIw

Nothing better than seeing those smug rear end pricks crack when they get exposed. I will admit some of the characters turn me off because how poo poo they treat Wright but goddamn do I enjoy when Wright wins. It's that extra gently caress you.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Battletoads was proof that devs hated gamers and wanted them to suffer. And yeah Battletoad was not good, they threw so many things at you to gently caress with you. I always felt a game that good concept was teaching the player what to expect but Battletoads never did that. it's like ok you have this level where you are climbing down a tree, a speed tunnel section, a section where you have to keep jumping on snakes and one gently caress up is death, and it never stops throwing new things at you. Hell I think the speed tunnel and the jet are the onlly two similar things that happen and even then the jet part is still bullshit.

I guess that's why Battletoad gets the rep it does when you beat it. You ever gone on social media and soon as you bring up you beat Battletoads it's like oh my god you are amazing etc, and I"m like no you just dealt with a game that threw bullshit at you. This isn't the DARK SOULS of the 80s, it just NES hard bullshit and I could name quite a few games that were just as bullshit as Battletoads.

I wonder if there was any correlationto NES games and blockbuster. I mean renting games were the rage back then. Alot of NES games were just bullshit.

This might be due to fuckery but it still amazes me how the japaense version of Ninja Gaiden 3 was easier then the US one. The US version had limited continues and the enemies hit harder.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Feb 20, 2017

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I very much love Double Dragon Neon and I want a goddamn sequel. Set in the 90s of coruse. GET that EXTREME TUBLAR attitude in there. And bring back Skeletor... I mean Skullmageddon. I loved that boney rear end bastard. Double Dragon is not known for having any memorable end bosses (other than the twist of Jimmy being the Shadow Master, etc)

And now I"m obligated to post the best credits song ever in a game (next to GOD HAND)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzHO50sB2gs

edit: I know I normally don't do lists, and this is subjective but the games that scream NES bullshit to me where:

Zelda2
Battletoads
Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2
Castlevania 2
Ghost and Goblins

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 20, 2017

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Lurdiak posted:

I never did check, was it the same fucker at IGN who gave Double Dragon Neon the 3/10 that gave God Hand a 3/10?

Hahahah I wish but nah different guys but hey shows how horrible IGN's tastes were.

edit: How bullshit we talkiing?

NO passwords? No Continues?

Obsecure paths? Platforming? Gimme the details because you made me raise an eyebrow if there is someting more bullshit than Ghost n Goblins.

gently caress that red flying gently caress.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I did say that list was subjective. :v:

Didn't help Castelvania's 2 translation was shoddy as poo poo.

Zelda 2 goes up there because of Death Mountain.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Much as I have a love for it, Megaman Legends. Back then it was holding the shoulder buttons and just circle strafe around your enemies, now 3D action games do a much better job of it.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
It's a Musou.

That being said I'm a sucker for Musous.

*hides Ken's Rage, Dynasty Warrior Gundams*

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Oh...

Berserk is that average eh. Mmmm... I might hold off, I mean next month is gonna break my wallet anyways.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Bad enough we have the blue balll rear end of a cliff hanger.

edit: I know right, the art in Berserk is just. Goddamn.

I still can't believe Gutts and them are off that goddamn boat.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Animal chat I have been living in a hotel for a month for a job and it has cable and I have watched some of Dragon Ball Super and it makes me want to read the original Dragon Ball, is this a good idea or not?

The orginal Dragon ball is really good. Also unlike the anime (not super) which drags alot with it's pacing, the manga is defintely far more faster pace.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Lurdiak posted:

Ken's Rage is the most disappointing game I've ever played. I thought they'd finally made a good HnK game, but nope.

Why you think I said I hide mines. :v: Ken Rage's is just a guilty pleasure of mines. I really wish we would get a full fledged Hnk game but then again anime games dont' get full blown budget like other games. (for obvious reasons)

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Lurdiak posted:

Against all my expectations, River City Ransom Underground's beta has been fixing almost every problem I had with it a few weeks ago, and it might actually be as awesome as the trailers make it look by the time it releases next week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=us7MnovsPKs

Oh sweet thats' good to hear. Can't wait for my backer's key. 27th can't come soon enough.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Goddamn that is really good pixel art.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I just love Bulletstorm because that was probably the most fun Steven Blum was as an MC.

I mean come on the remote control Godzilla was just goddamn perfect.

Ahem I mean Waggleton P. Tallylicker

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
HOLY poo poo River City Ransom Underground has online co op?

FUUUUCK.

Still waiting for my key. :(

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Woooo got my key.. but I didn't get my second key so I emailed them. Was hoping to give it to my beat em up buddy as he's a huge RCR fan.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Been having a blast with RCR Underground with a buddy of mines. They should've put Friendly fire is still on when you throw objects at your buddy though. :v:

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I would join in RCR co op but watching a movie tonight.

I loving love RCR Underground but yeah it is a little buggy.

One of my co op sessions ended abruptly and I ended up being Alex instead during the present day. And I mean OG Alex not present day Alex.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

exquisite tea posted:

Nah, it's just the sequel to the lovely N64 one.

Ban this jerk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Man you only see those type of punches in wrassling.

RCR while buggy is still cool. Then again I love beat em ups so this is pretty much my jam.

• Locked thread