Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
There's a game that's been nagging at me, but I can't remember the title and I don't have a lot to go on. Maybe someone else's memory will be dinged by the rather vague description I can give. It was a Japanese game that I'm fairly certain was released for the PS2. It was an RPG, and I think it was in fact a tactical RPG. The story has some similarities to Demon's Souls, in that your character enters a kind of forbidden land that's been overtaken by hostile, demonic forces and sort of magically separated from the rest of the world, and the tone and atmosphere was rather similar as well. I recall the protagonist was female, but there might have been a choice between a male and female PC? There was also an LP up of it on LP archive, but I guess I didn't bookmark it. It's not an SMT game -- the setting was kinda medieval/renaissance-esque. There was also a main town hub with a good number of NPCs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

LawfulWaffle posted:

When you say Japanese, do you mean it never got a US release? Is it one on this list? http://www.gamefaqs.com/top10/2755-the-top-10-ps2-japan-only-games-you-may-not-know-rpg

I'm honestly not sure if it received wider release or not; I just recall it was made by Japanese developers. Unfortunately, none of the games on that list or the shortlist below it seem to fit the bill. Thank you, though!

I think I'll finally complete SMT Strange Journey and finish my LP run of Geneforge. Then I might replay Geneforge II. And more MHGen. Nioh looks really good. I'm just still feeling some sour grapes about Persona 5. :sigh:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
The Switch online service pricing announcement just seems real vague from what I saw, not even just the x - y amount of yen, but I mean, is that Japan only? Price discrimination is a thing. If Nintendo thinks other regions can bear a higher price, why wouldn't Nintendo price the sub accordingly?

I'm unduly puzzled by this, since I don't have plans to buy the Switch, but the announcement just keeps popping up.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
His brow ridge keeps getting lumpier. :aaaaa:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

oddium posted:

there's thunder and lightning going on in this blizzard heck yeah. very cool

Same, bud.

I am working on an lp update and pretending that's the same as working.

So I started the playstation now free trial and after poking around some not very good games, I've settled on a not very good game that's still oddly compelling. Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny is bad but I'm still having fun and I don't know what to do about it. This is a bad game. The user interface is by and large total poo poo, important aspects of gameplay aren't explained, the intro to the game is like a half hour tour of the main town and it's excruciatingly dull, the dungeons are grindy mazes, the farming minigame is almost totally RNG, and I don't know why I'm still playing this poo poo, please send help.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Direct worries me. In the book publishing world, a publisher asking for a fee to pub your book is a red flag. I hope Valve doesn't set an example for Amazon and other platforms to follow. That will end up muddying the waters and make discerning legit platforms from scammers more difficult.

I'm also concerned about small dev businesses like Spiderweb, Basilisk Games, and Shining Rock. Little studios doing more than lazy Rpg Maker poo poo don't always have the margins to support a fee like this.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Help Im Alive posted:

Dragon Quest Builders is great. There's a demo you could try (which sold me on the game even though I'd never played DQ or Minecraft)

Quoting from the past to say that I was also sold on DQ Builders via the demo despite never playing either franchise.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Lurdiak posted:

So how long until like Yahtzee or whoever just straight up gets a swastika tat.

Maybe it's already happened :tinfoil:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Back to games we took time to really dig into... For me the first were the Shining Force games on the Genesis. Then FF8, Xenogears, Vagrant Story, and Ocarina of Time. The most recent titles I've gotten that sense of ownership and mastery from are Shadows of the Colossus and Demon's Souls. I haven't had anything hook me quite as hard in a while. Those I really worked hard to master mechanics, timing, etc enough to play multiple times and do challenge runs.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Loose Ifer posted:

Play bloodborne if you own a PS4.

You know, oddly enough I couldn't get into that one. The rhythm and pacing of combat just didn't work for me. I enjoyed watching others play it, but yeah, it never clicked for me.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Lurdiak posted:

You don't even know the half of it.

I didn't even know Gackt was still even remotely trendy.

e: also, what is a Musou?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Palpek posted:

I really liked playing DA: O in the isometric (strategic?) camera mode because it was close enough to a modern Baldur's Gate.

Yeah, that was actually a pretty nice combat mode. Tbh tactical pause was the only thing that made da:o combat playable for me.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Atelier Ayesha is kinda cute so far but whoever made the decision to have the water buffalo OINK MOO lines be voiced like this is real bad.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Sometimes Atelier Ayesha gets into cute scenes about friendships among women, but then it immediately turns into groping and poorly executed innuendo and ruins what could've been really nice writing. :sigh:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, the following two games are better about that. Ayesha trails off a bit after the early game but it still can't resist boob jokes when it probably shouldn't.

I still enjoyed the game, since that's not constant and the character designs aren't 365 24/7 titty terror. Still, that poo poo gets old like, immediately, and I'm never going to stop being sensitive to it.

Motto posted:

Honestly I can't remember that at all. Maybe there's some dialogue I'm forgetting but nothing at the level of the Arland CGs I've seen.

It's been a long time since I played Rorona +, so I don't recall how much of this dumb poo poo was present there. I've been considering replaying it since it's up on PS Now, but man, now I'm kinda dreading it!

Also is it just me or are Ayesha and Sophie significantly easier than Rorona +?

ImpAtom posted:

There aren't any Arland cg style things but there's like "We're trapped in a cave together and its dark and oh whoop I grabbed your boobs" and Nio talking about Ayesha's breasts after you rescue her which felt helluva out of place for that scene

There is so much boob talk and uninvited groping and tiresome repetitions about I'M A GIRL AFTER ALL :byodame: as though that even matters after murdering the heck out of Yggdrasil, making and detonating all the bombs, and slaying natural and alchemical dragons?!

I did enjoy Regina for the most part, though.

I'm currently in the postgame, just counting down days til I can complete the last character arcs and see the endings. I'm sad that you're also required to win 6 of 6 contests to get one ending, though. I got second place in the 3rd contest and didn't reset because I didn't realize that actually influenced an ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, I completely get what you mean. I think it's a valid criticism even if I really enjoy the games. It's just a bit "... was that really necessary?"

Yes and no. You have more alchemy options instead of needing to spreadsheet them and so creating powerful equipment is easier. Ayesha classic also doesn't have as many insane superbosses to contend with. Ayesha + and the sequels are easier to finish but have significantly harder optional challenges instead. Sophie is kinda lacking in the latter which is a problem for it.

Yeah I tried the cow DLC and saw the boss at the end and decided to heck with that.

Sophie's story also feels lacking. I ended up losing interest before finishing up the game. Ayesha had a better narrative in that your protagonist actually has a goal and serious consequences if she fails.

• Locked thread