Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Nioh's gonna be incredible and I am so goddamn excited for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

For Honor looks fun, but I'm probably not going to get it, at least not right away. I like the idea and the beta videos I've seen look like there's some fun to be had with it.

Horizon just... I really want it to be good, but I just don't believe it possibly could be. It's post-apocalyptic Far Cry with a stapled-on dialog wheel. Going by a couple of the preview videos that came out recently, you even have to climb towers to put icons on your map. I think its setting is cool--I'm a sucker for the "overgrown, verdant post-apocalypse" thing like Hyper Light Drifter or even The Last of Us--but everything about the game itself looks like it's just going to put me right to sleep.

Nioh's the only game coming out this month that I'm looking forward to, but it seems like it's going to be plenty to keep me busy. It's not a Souls clone in the least--its actual gameplay is wildly different, despite the handful of Souls-inspired systems built around it, and god drat it's fun.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I said come in! posted:

What are you referring to?

Probably this really awkward scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUpPYvELLB8

For what it's worth my own disinterest in it has nothing to do with that, I just think it looks like someone who isn't Ubisoft took a cool setting idea and then copy-pasted Far Cry's gameplay into it and, eh.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Berserk and the Band of the Hawk...

Do they... do they think his name is Berserk?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

I guess a lot of game reviewers had their pre-release NDAs lifted from HZD because a whole bunch of 10-15 minute gameplay footage videos have come out in the past couple days. FWIW the basic gameplay loop looks really cool and nothing else I've seen is as egregiously bad as what was in the video, but it's a wait and see kind of thing for me.

They had a preview event, I think. I watched the Easy Allies video about it.

I agree, the basic gameplay loop looks pretty all right. I think I just have open world fatigue because I can't stop seeing it as basically just Far Cry with neat robots. I appreciate just how neat those robots are, though, and I hope that the gameplay is good enough that it carries what is otherwise a pretty stale formula (which certainly isn't impossible!). If nothing else, I love this kind of setting, so if it's good, I'll be happy to play around in that world for a while.

exquisite tea posted:

My money's still on Andromeda for Biggest Disappointment of 2017.

Can't disagree there. Once again, I want it to be good because the basic premise is just so perfect for an exploration-based science fiction RPG, but this is modern Bioware, and on top of that, they're being really stingy with actual gameplay footage. Dragon Age Inquisition had a 25-minute gameplay presentation a full year before it came out, not to mention playable press/show floor demos a few months after that, and hour-long videos where they showed off all their combat tweaks. Mass Effect Andromeda has one five-minute gameplay video, a couple of teasers, and a story trailer.

Not to mention all the indications that the story isn't actually about exploring rad planets and finding a new home for humanity while solving conflicts with the native inhabitants of this star system, but instead about an ancient precursor species with mysterious ruins and a ~*~threat to the galaxy (but a different galaxy this time)~*~

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I finished Odin Sphere last night. I think maybe In Training was the one who said that the whole Armageddon chapter was a real letdown and I have to agree. The story stuff was fine, but god were those some boring boss fights. Onyx wasn't so bad, but he was a repeat boss, and the final boss was kind of neat, but the rest was just mind-numbing.

I didn't realize I'd have to do that like five times over in different permutations to get the special Cornelius and Velvet after-credits scene so I think I'll pass on that.

The "Xtra New Game" thing was a pleasant surprise, though. I was expecting a new game+, but I wasn't expecting it to have new enemy formations and scale everything up to roughly your endgame power level to start with. I'm glad that I have the opportunity to play through the actual fun parts of the game again with all my cool skills and recipes unlocked. Probably going to take a break and play something else (and then play Nioh when it comes out) but I can see myself coming back and doing that one day.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In Training posted:

Yeah I still haven't finished that game, I have 3 bosses left and I moved onto to SMT haha. There's so little left I should finish it but because I don't really care about the story it would just be for the trophy.

You didn't finish Armageddon? Two of the last three bosses were the ones that didn't suck, I thought--Mercedes's boss was just someone we've fought before but that means that he's designed like a normal boss, and Gwendolyn's boss is actually pretty fun to fight and not a huge slog like Cornelius's and Oswald's. So if you ever do come back to it the remaining parts of Armageddon are the better parts.

But man did they ever drop the ball on that last chapter. I'm not sure who thought "giant screen-filling boss with hitboxes that require you to jump to reach" would be a fun thing to repeat twice in a row, and then also make you fight them the two characters who are the worst at staying in the air if you want the good ending, while letting the three characters who are good in the air fight bosses with stable platforms to stand on.

Nate RFB posted:

For Odin Sphere, keep in mind that in order to get the best ending at least on the PS2 version you had to fight every single boss in the final chapter with every character. I assume that got changed in the remake but man that broke me and got me to just look it up on youtube back in the day.

To get the good ending, you just have to send the right character to fight each boss, and the "hints" you get ahead of time are extremely obvious. But to get the after-credits scene with Velvet and Cornelius, I'm pretty sure you do have to fight every boss win the final chapter with every character (or, if you don't, you still have to do the final chapter enough times that you might as well do that), and I have no intention of ever doing that.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

I do think it is neat with the final book that you have to figure out how to properly play out the prophecy for everything to work out "best"

I also like that there are specific bits of unique dialogue for bringing certain wrong characters to a boss.

I feel like Mercedes got shafted during that whole thing, though. Like, drat. Also, I think it would have been cool to have a Vulcan book but I can imagine the game feeling way too long then.

Yeah, the whole structure of the thing was great, I just wish they'd managed to make the bosses actually fun to fight. Onyx was fine (but we already fought him as Oswald's final story boss) and I thought fighting Leventhan with Gwendolyn was actually pretty fun (just the right amount of chaos in that fight), but the rest was just such a slog.

I also felt terrible for Mercedes. And, like, every pooka.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Yeah, it was kinda strange how every other playable character was given an out as a means of surviving the end of the world but Mercedes is just like "welp I did a thing, time to explode"

Mercedes deserved better. :smith: Sure, Ingway was kind of a poo poo, but he was getting better. At least he and Mercedes could've gotten to see each other one last time. The poor kids.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

haveblue posted:

Can you link some of these? None of the usual suspects seem to have posted one yet.

Here's the Easy Allies preview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGhghvqJ0HU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Shoulda had Griffin review Nioh. Sometimes I get the impression he's the only one on staff who actually enjoys that kind of game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

My only real exposure to JonTron was some very early Game Grumps that I watched years ago so I was surprised to discover what a shithead he is by watching that video.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

All the original great beat-em ups were conceived out of 80s zeitgeist fears of organized crime and urban decay, now in today's political climate I think the opportunity is there for a modern revival where you beat down nazis and corporate shills with razor-lined briefcases.

This just made me think of a sequel to Liberal Crime Squad where you play as The Liberal Elite and pay protesters and maybe it's a real-time strategy game about using ~*~violent protests~*~ to disrupt True Conservative America? I dunno, I'm spitballing here.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

suuma posted:

Wasn't PoE2 already fully funded and they were just doing the thing on fig for more cash?

I like Obsidian and their games a lot but poo poo like "well if we get 100k more dollars we'll do more voiceover than we planned!! seems kinda dumb.

Oh we got x dollars I guess we can increase the level cap arbitrarily!

Essentially what they were crowdfunding was adding multiclassing to the game, along with having a French and German translation at launch. I'd guess they figured "it'll cost us another $1.1 million to add these things" and that was the crowdfunding goal. After that, it's basically, "what can we do with more money?" Add another $200,000 worth of voice acting? Sure, why not. Spend more development resources developing, writing, and voicing a new companion? Okay.

My read on it was that, if they didn't meet their crowdfunding goal, they would have had the funding to release Pillars of Eternity 2, but the crowdfunding lets them add new stuff.

Either that or it's a cynical ploy to gauge consumer interest, what do I know?

exquisite tea posted:

Looking forward to reading more paragraphs of some turbonerd's embarrassing D&D roleplay.

Pillars of Eternity is good :colbert:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Red Bones posted:

Does PoE do anything that interesting or is it 100% medieval fantasy europe all the way through? Because I tried to play it when it came out and I got to the first town and found out I'd be spending the next several hours dealing with like, a mean lord of fantasy village, and my eyes glazed over. I'm glad the sequel has gone for a different setting.

Yes and no. The "mean lord of fantasy village" thing is actually an early-game side quest and the actual important part is everything you're learning about the Hollowborn during that. You're free to ignore it and move on. Act 2 takes place in a much larger city and is mostly about faction politics and whether or not it's cool to do science using people's souls, and then the third act gets all "the true nature of the gods" and poo poo.

The White March expansions have more interesting main plots, I think, but PoE definitely goes beyond "there is an evil lord and he is being a dick to his town of mud farmers" pretty early.

That said, the setting is your standard fields-and-forests pseudo-European fantasy. There are some weirder elements under the surface but by and large that's what the Dyrwood is all about. I agree that it's a very good thing it's moving to another part of the world for the sequel. The Deadfire Archipelago is all about inhospitable islands with crazy climates, giant sea monsters, pseudo-Inuit dwarves, and big seafaring dudes with shark teeth. They apparently want to make factions a bigger deal and make them matter throughout the whole game instead of just in the middle, too.

exquisite tea posted:

No and it's made worse by every new area being accompanied by a Lord Infodump who drops 21 paragraphs of lore on you within the opening minutes of each zone.

PoE2 is (thankfully) stealing Tyranny's "hover over highlighted words for lore" thing to help prevent infodumps, especially for returning players who are going to know a lot of it already.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Feb 3, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Phantasium posted:

The villain of Final Fantasy Adventure is just named Dark Lord.

And then they remade that game and gave everyone a ton of dialog and tried to make the characters less 1 dimensional but left him with the name Dark Lord and people wondering if he was going to do something evil.

There is a villain in Tecmo's (extremely weird and bad) Secret of the Stars named Badbad.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I downloaded Fire Emblem Heroes but I honestly don't see myself playing a lot of it because I really, really hate gacha games. I understand you gotta make money somehow but I've never found a gacha game that I felt like I could have fun with without either a) uninstalling and reinstalling to reroll my initial pull for literal hours or b) spending money on essentially gambling.

There are gacha games out there that I'd spend like $20 upfront to have a version without gacha mechanics. Like, Terra Battle? That game's fun as hell, but the gacha poo poo just kills it for me.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

What about it makes it more predatory than say, random loot crates you get in games like Overwatch, etc.? Not familiar with any gacha games.

To use the Overwatch example, imagine a version of Overwatch where:
  • You don't immediately have access to every character. Instead, you get a random handful of characters when you make your account and the rest have to come from a loot crate.
  • You get loot crates fairly often early on but it seriously tapers off as you go.
  • There's no protection against duplicate characters, so even if you pull a character, there's a decent chance you already have them.
  • There are lots and lots of samey characters so that the chances of you getting the one you want are lower.
  • Characters aren't intended to be equal--there are inherently good and bad characters, and they have a star rating to let you know if you got a good one or a bad one. You will not do well without high-rated characters.
Ultimately it means that you're reliant on random character draws to progress past a certain point. Overwatch, at least, is purely cosmetic, though I'm not a big fan of loot crate monetization in the first place.

People who play gacha games often spend hours upon hours right out the gate uninstalling and reinstalling the game to reroll their initial pull because they know without a couple of five-star characters, they're going to stall out their progression sooner than later, and the only way to get past the hump when you do stall out is either to grind for hours and hours, or pay money on character draws until you finally draw something good. In many cases, you can pay extra money for a special character draw with a higher chance at getting something good but often no protection against getting some two-star bullshit anyway.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Feb 3, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

I mean you can buy skins with credits

Sure, but you only get credits randomly from loot crates and usually in small amounts at a time. If you could just outright buy credits you could bypass the loot crate system, but Blizzard clearly knows they're going to make more money on loot crate gambling than they would if they let people directly buy what they wanted.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

As for the "it's only cosmetic" thing, I'm inclined to agree with Jim Sterling's argument, which starts around here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWTsJZD3YFQ&t=213s

In short, though, his point is that Overwatch's loot crate system very closely follows a free-to-play model intended to sort of psychologically press you into spending money. It does this by making it take a very long time to unlock things through normal gameplay, showing you all the cool things you could have if you were lucky enough to get them, and stuffing the loot tables with crappy sprays and voice lines. Then it also lets you turn up duplicates of things you already have and gives you a tiny amount of credits for them, so you can't even take comfort in knowing that you're getting all those sprays out of the way--they can just turn up again. And on top of all of that, this is in a game that you've already paid money to play, so you're getting hit with this manipulative microtransaction system on top of paying full price for the game.

And yes, it's all 100% cosmetic, but I'm convinced by Sterling's argument that cosmetic content is still part of the game experience, especially when it's the only progression mechanic the game has. Cosmetics matter, people care about cosmetics, so while cosmetic-only microtransactions are definitely better than gameplay-affecting microtransactions, they're still lovely in full-priced commercial game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I should point out that if Overwatch was free-to-play, I would have zero problem with it and none of the arguments I posted would apply to it. You gotta make your money somehow and if it's through cosmetics and not charging me for characters, I prefer that. But because I paid full price for it, I do have a problem with being pelted with free-to-play monetization schemes.

And I'm not trying to compare Overwatch to a gacha game. Overwatch came up as an example because exquisite tea wanted to know what made gacha games worse, and the breakdown I posted of it illustrates just how much less lovely Overwatch is than any gacha game on the market. But I also still think loot crates are bad, they're stuffed with too much bullshit nobody wants, and the sheer amount of unwanted stuff combined with the total lack of duplicate drop protection means that I don't get excited about loot crates at all, which sucks because they are literally the only reward you get for leveling up.

Help Im Alive posted:

You seriously get a ton of lootboxes now with the arcade mode though

I caved in and bought lootboxes a couple times early on when levelling up was the only way to get them (maybe like $15 total) but at this point you can easily get a lootbox every time you play

I haven't played much Overwatch lately so I didn't know about arcade mode being a loot carnival. That helps a bit, for sure, but I still find microtransactions--even if they're just cosmetic--to be uncomfortable in a game that I already paid full price for.

I spent a while defending Guild Wars 2 for this and, looking back, I was a total idiot about it, because GW2's cosmetic/convenience-only microtransaction shop essentially ruined the game for me (for reasons I won't go into unless someone actually cares about a dumb MMO).

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Did you actually read the series of tweets linked or just that one? The reason the person said that is because even basic enemies can one-shot you.

Unless the main game is way, way more brutal than the demos, I'd guess they're not wearing decent armor and getting hit in the back.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CJacobs posted:

I would say that's not the unlikeliest explanation because that was the case with Dark Souls 2 for sure. There is precedent for hard-rear end games having slightly-less-hard-rear end demos.

edit; rewording

That'd be pretty interesting in that case, because the demos were still pretty hard and had a pretty small margin for error. I'm curious to see if that's the case on Tuesday or if some people are just not adapting to how important upgrading your armor is and how important it is not to get hit in the back.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

Witcher 3 is too big. There's just so much poo poo to do that I get overwhelmed by all of it, plus you level really really slowly so you kinda have to hit up all the sidequests to advance the main story. I'm also not engrossed enough in the world/side stories to really get pumped to do them all.

Witcher 3's side quests give much, much less EXP than the main quests. If you're grinding side quests for EXP then I have no idea what you're doing. Hell, I found that I was overleveled for most things after the first few hours.

About the time you leave Velen you probably shouldn't find the game difficult enough that you need to worry about your level at all, I wouldn't think.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lobok posted:

If the game sucks maybe that's not an accident.

Just a credits list where everyone is credited as Alan Smithee

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

MMF Freeway posted:

I feel like that is a trap option anyways and you should only be upgrading your gear via drops and then soul matching the good ones up to the right level periodically.

Sometimes crafting can be worth trying, like if there's a unique weapon or armor set you want a better quality level of. I think it's how you get a purple Raikiri, for example, which is a great thing for a Spirit build to have. Or you could try to craft a purple version of the DLC armor if you like the set bonus.

But the crafting and excessive inventory fiddling are totally optional. You can do just fine picking up loot and only screwing around in menus when you're at a shrine, for example. If you don't want to craft you can just sacrifice unwanted loot for amrita and random items at any shrine, or disassemble and sell the materials to buy ammo/consumables/other gear. I think how much you engage with the random loot depends entirely on how much you enjoy min-maxing and not caring too much won't impair your ability to finish the game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In Training posted:

Yeah I just meant the tendency for people to drop huge walls of text at a moments notice about how to play :P

I think people (like me) do that just because, with games like these, it's easy for players to get turned off of something they might otherwise enjoy because they didn't learn a couple key mechanics. So people who like them want to make sure nobody misses things like that so everyone has the best chance possible to enjoy it.

I didn't realize I was being annoying and turning people off, though, so I'll try to stop.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In Training posted:

It's just that a big part of games like this is learning and exploring so by evangelizing too hard you may take that experience away from somebody

Yeah, that's true. I've seen enough people get turned off of Nioh already because they try to play it like Dark Souls and get frustrated when that doesn't work, and assume it isn't for them, so I want to make sure people know what they're actually in for and what the major differences are. Or, like Bicyclops and Bloodborne, where they were initially turned off because people weren't helpful enough and learning things on their own was just leading to getting punched in the face over and over, which wasn't fun.

But I know other people are different and actually want to learn on their own and get punched in the face until they get it, so I'll try to just shut up unless someone asks for specific help.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

:hellyeah:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mordja posted:

So was Helldivers though, and probably others.

Yeah, Nioh probably has a slightly better chance than Bloodborne (which was co-developed by Sony, not just co-published by them), but I'm still a little skeptical it'll happen.

Then again, I never thought Dragon's Dogma would come to PC, so :shrug:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

They only just recently started using chip & pin.

It's true. I finally got a chip card last year and none of the grocery stores around here have a working chip reader yet.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Rifles in Nioh are sweet as hell. Sure, bows are quiet, but I've yet to have an enemy alerted by my rifle shot that wouldn't have been alerted by a bow shot, and the rifles do so much headshot damage.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

LawfulWaffle posted:

It's why I left for beautiful Ohio.

Oh god, is this what Stockholm syndrome feels like?

Probably. I moved from Ohio to Wisconsin for a job three years ago but for some reason Ohio's got that, "Yeah, I could move back there, that'd be all right," hold on me.

Not like Wisconsin's that much different.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Why is there always a spider level :negative:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I dunno, I'd be pretty scared of a giant topless spider lady who could vomit lava all over the place. That's pretty scary.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

TFW when you need 10,000 Blood Echoes and instead of playing it safe and doing some boring back and forth grind, you decide to try to kill every living thing in Central Yharnam while practicing a weapon, and you succeed.

:hellyeah:

Worth noting that there's another way around the 10,000 blood echoes door, if that's what you're grinding for. It involves taking a different route from the Chapel and fighting another boss, then taking kind of a weird path up a tower from the Chapel. (For what it's worth, just opening the gate is a lot easier if you're not confident in your ability to, uh, fall in a controlled fashion.)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

I'm sort of torn, because I guess beating the Chapel boss changes the moon phase and makes other stuff harder? I found Old Yharnam, so I guess I could go there instead, but the nice coughing freak told me to go to the Chapel district for Paleblood, so it seems to the most straightforward route.

People generally recommend going to Old Yharnam before beating the boss behind the 10,000 blood echoes gate. Beating the Old Yharnam boss gives you access to an alternate route that gets you past the gate without having to buy the key. At the same time, the Old Yharnam boss is completely optional so long as you've beaten the Cleric Beast, so you can skip it if you really don't want to do Old Yharnam. (Gehrman, back at the Hunter's Dream, should be pointing you to Old Yharnam if you talk to him.)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lakbay posted:

Soul matching is prohibitively expensive for some reason, I'm talking like 600,000 gold to level up a spear or whatever

It seems like the only real thing that's worth spending a lot of money on, at least from where I am. I can't see myself buying much equipment from the blacksmith, and crafting doesn't cost much gold, just materials. Gold seems to be just for Soul Matching and buying Books of Reincarnation, so I'm all right with dumping huge piles of gold on keeping a purple weapon with great special abilities up-to-date.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lakbay posted:

The problem is that gold income for the player doesn't keep up with how expensive soul matching becomes

Maybe they just don't want soul matching to be something you rely on, then. I haven't gotten to the point where it's just totally unaffordable. Maybe it's that they figure, if you want to keep the same weapon from level 20 to level 100, you're going to work for it? I dunno.

Is it any better if you try to keep on top of it gradually as you go rather than trying to soul match a weapon up in a single huge leap? Or is the cost unrelated to how big of a leap it is?

In the end, it's probably more cost-effective to just keep crafting new versions of a weapon you want to keep leveled up with you, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Guess I'll just keep crafting new Raikiri then! I disassemble enough weapons that I can reliably craft a blue one just about any time I want.

• Locked thread