Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Andrast posted:

It also forces you to think about your moves more and makes it so you can't sacrifice units to gain advantage. It's pretty important to the overall balance of the game.

That's true. Not really being able to make sacrifice plays does change a lot.

I wouldn't mind an "Ironman" mode in a future Fire Emblem game--Classic, plus it autosaves after every move. I probably wouldn't choose that as the way I play the first time through, but as a challenge run, permadeath with no take-backs and no reloading sounds pretty rad. (I know I can do that myself if I had the discipline, but hey.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

MinibarMatchman posted:

presuming I do the Target B2G1 sale, what should be the free game if I get Horizon Zero Dawn and Nier Automata. I don't have a Switch so maybe I should just pick up Wildlands and then sell it away or something.

I'd say Zelda but if it runs like dogshit on the WiiU there's no way I want it. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

I'd guess Zelda's going to run about as well on the Wii U as it does on the Switch, but at a lower resolution and with worse color depth. Unfortunately both of those things are pretty big downsides to me (the colors more than the resolution, I can deal with 720p just fine) so I'm probably going to wait until I get a Switch, even though I'm crazy excited for the game.

Between Horizon and Nier, it probably comes down to which type of gameplay you're up for and how excited you are to look at really pretty graphics. Do you want...
  • ...to shoot things, sneak, gather, craft, fight huge robot dinosaurs, and look at amazing graphics? Get Horizon.
  • ...to do fast-paced melee combat with occasional light bullet hell elements surrounded by a very dramatic anime story and amazing music? Get Nier: Automata.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

MinibarMatchman posted:

Honestly I loved the Nier demo and all Platinum games so I'm good there. I haven't played an open world action game since like Witcher 3 and Batman 2 years ago so I'm fresh and ready for a change from all the 1st person and strategy games I spent 2016 playing. Neither are big question marks for me--the only question here is "does Zelda WiiU run at 30fps reliably"

It does not, and by all reports, neither does the Switch version. The difference between the two is really just resolution, environment detail, and (probably) color depth.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

I'm glad I have a high tolerance for framerate stuff + can play games that go below 30fps without going into convulsions

Yeah, I'm the same way. I do love it when games hit and maintain 60 fps, but I can overlook frame rate issues in otherwise good games. For example, I know Bloodborne has a ton of frame rate and frame pacing issues, but I don't really care that much because everything else is so good.

So Breath of the Wild's frame rate issues don't bother me that much. It's why I care a lot more about things like environment detail and color depth for the differences between the Wii U and the Switch.

exquisite tea posted:

By contrast I think movies shot at 48+ FPS look really cheap and "fake" to me, like it's made for television. It's weird.

That's not so weird. I think most people have the same reaction to high frame rate TV and movies. We're so used to seeing 24 fps movies that we're sort of conditioned to see that as "real," so when TV or movies are shot at higher frame rates, many people think they look lower-budget because they look less "real." In America, we also tend to associate high frame rates in live action things with soap operas, which are cheap productions and look cheap for other reasons. Higher frame rates were pretty standard in UK TV for a while (it's noticeable in the Doctor Who reboot before season 5, for example) but now they're starting to follow suit with America and show things at 24 fps instead.

Directors aren't necessarily wrong when they say there's no reason to stay at 24 fps when you're not shooting on film, but it's just so ingrained in us now that making the switch is a really hard sell.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Phantasium posted:

But enough about Nintendo.

:pusheen:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

PantsBandit posted:

Has there been any actual documentation that the colors are different between versions or are people still just assuming that because they looked different between two different presentations separated by a long span of time?

Like, it could be a version difference but it's also just as likely to just be a change they made in development. No need to jump to conclusions.

You're right, but it's why I'm holding off on preordering or anything like that. I'm looking forward to the inevitable Digital Foundry comparison video because it could be a version difference but it could also just be a "we made the colors better in the seven months of development between E3 and the Switch reveal."

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The hype for Breath of the Wild excites me more because it's so focused on how different it is from previous Zelda games. Unless I'm really misremembering, neither Twilight Princess or Skyward Sword had anyone saying they blew up the Zelda formula or even really deviated from it in any meaningful way.

I'm interested in the one preview I read that said Breath of the Wild makes Horizon look "simplistic" here:

quote:

Having just completed it, we couldn’t help but think of Horizon Zero Dawn while playing Breath Of The Wild, and how simplistic it now seems compared to Zelda. You also have a bow in Breath Of The Wild, but you have to account for how arrows arc through the air, rather than it just acting like a low-tech sniper rifle. Boomerangs have to be caught manually on their return and the best way to defeat the skeletons that appear at night is to chop off their head and punt it into a river, like a goalkeeper trying to make a clearance.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

I think there were people in the Overwatch thread saying they play it at like 200fps and can't go back to 60fps

What the hell kind of monitor has a refresh rate that high? :psyduck:

I do remember a Super Bunnyhop video that compared 60 fps gaming with 144 fps gaming that I thought was pretty interesting (and that also, amusingly, came out like a week before YouTube rolled out their 60 fps option). It seems like it really is noticeable but it's not like most people have computers that are going to run most modern games at a frame rate like that.

Here's the video, if anyone's curious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCbTRSv9sQ8

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In Training posted:

I'm wary of BotW because it's illegal for game reviewers to say bad things about Zelda games. Personally I haven't enjoyed a 3D Zelda since WW so I'm just going to wait and see. Nothing about BotW makes me very interested in it either...

I'm really interested because I really want an open world game that manages to actually feel like an adventure. I haven't run into one of those in a really long time, but the way Breath of the Wild seems to treat its open world as a toy for you to play with, rather than just the scenery where missions happen, excites me. If all of that is really the case and not just pre-release hype I'm going to be thrilled. It looks like it gives you a lot of really fun things to play with and doesn't limit the ways you use those toys the way that Skyward Sword so often did.

Assuming all the pre-release coverage is accurate, though, I sort of expect the game to get a chillier reception from a wider gaming audience. The weapon durability mechanic seems really punishing, combat is apparently actually hard, you have to actively seek out and even craft healing items, and there are a lot of other mechanics that I think lots of people will see as tedious micromanagement they don't want to do (like making sure Link's clothes are warm enough if you go somewhere cold).

Me, I'm all in for that. The weapon durability thing actually sounds like a lot of fun to me, even though I know it's popular to hate durability systems. I just remember loving the idea of stealing enemy weapons to use against them in Wind Waker and now Breath of the Wild is actually making that useful and not just a fun diversion.

haveblue posted:

They did, actually. I don't have any citations but SS was frequently described as a departure from the series formula, mostly regarding the structure of the dungeons or lack thereof. Which is not untrue, even if it didn't necessarily turn out to be an improvement over the old way.

Huh, fair enough. I remember looking at it and thinking it would just be Wind Waker but with flying instead of sailing, but it was so long ago (and I wasn't paying that close of attention) that I'm not surprised I misremember its pre-release coverage.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Honestly my biggest worry with BotW is that someone making it thought 'ah yes, weapon degradation is a fun and exciting mechanic and not something that is 100% awful every time'.

I think one reason I like the sound of Breath of the Wild's weapon durability system is that it's almost exactly what I wanted when I was complaining about the way Dark Souls 2 handled durability like a year and a half ago.

Punishing durability systems really suck if the game asks you to invest in a weapon or a type of weapon, and Dark Souls 2 sort of has you do both: you need to upgrade your weapons to keep them useful, and your build (to a certain degree) dictates what kind of weapons you can equip and what kind of weapons you're any good with. Your weapons degrading really quickly just sucks in that. Sure, they're easy and cheap to repair, and eventually you can just carry around piles of Repair Dust and stop caring, but it's still a pain in the rear end. And if the point was to ask the player to use a variety of weapons, the game needed to be more generous with upgrade materials early on.

What I wanted from a game where weapon durability is something I have to care about is to need to be a versatile scavenger. I don't mind having to frequently replace my weapons if everything about the game lets me treat those weapons as disposable. And in Breath of the Wild, that's what it looks like they're doing: weapons are easy to find, you don't have a build that pushes you toward any particular weapon type or another, and you don't invest upgrade materials or resources into any specific weapon. You use what you find and throw it away when you're done. I like that.

Where it could get unfun is if it butts up against a restrictive inventory size, though, or if weapons degrade so quickly that they break in nearly every fight, so I'll reserve actual judgment until I play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lobok posted:

The weapon durability could be an easier pill to swallow if there was some kind of basic weapon you could always rely on but then I suppose people would rely on it and complain that the character was so weak or the difficulty was too high. I respect their attempt at doing it and agree with you that if the system is built around constant looting and scavenging then it could be pretty cool. I wonder about the sense of "progression" if you're constantly relegated to using Deku Sticks or are always on the verge.

Yeah, that's the other thing. I think weapon-related progression is probably just going to have to come down to stronger enemies having stronger weapons, so you're using stronger weapons as you go.

I wonder how they're handling the Master Sword. My guess is that it's weak but unbreakable, and that you'll either power it up at the very tail end of the game (so it doesn't totally kill the weapon scavenging earlier than that), or it's a lot stronger specifically against Ganon.

• Locked thread