Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Dr Cheeto posted:

That seems shockingly low compared to, say, any game on Steam.

I'm guessing stats like that come from the monthly free PS+ games that people download and never play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Does PoE do anything that interesting or is it 100% medieval fantasy europe all the way through? Because I tried to play it when it came out and I got to the first town and found out I'd be spending the next several hours dealing with like, a mean lord of fantasy village, and my eyes glazed over. I'm glad the sequel has gone for a different setting.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

a kitten posted:

The other night i had a dream where i had the Blue Box and Key from the film Mulholland Drive and when i opened it i found myself fighting a Bloodborne hunter who was basically just Revolver Ocelot. However, the fight glitched out and he never attacked so i just shot him in the face over and over 'til i won.

...so, maybe.

I had a dream where I tried to catch a train and then I clipped through the roof and got caught on a bridge, and then I was getting dragged along behind and above the train for a while. My dreams, now brought to you by Bethesda Softworks :shrug:

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

I liked the guy in Diablo 3 that could throw jars of spiders everywhere, even if in retrospect he's kind of a terrible "spooky darkest Africa" racist cliche.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

It's really weird that no one during development went "wait, this is like something out of a 1930s belgian comic"

I mean Blizzard has done the whole 'foreign culture as aesthetic' thing in pretty much all of their games, and sometimes the foreign culture is rendered vaguely accurately and sometimes it is just a homogenised mishmash of different cultures blended together by colonial-era writers and artists. See: every time a blizzard game visits 'the orient', every time something that looks vaguely native american shows up, etc etc.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Corporate Personhood isn't enough, we need Corporate Nationhood.

If it was good enough for the East India Company it's good enough for Mondelez International, imo.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

My landlady returned from the hospital with her newborn baby yesterday and I got about four or five hours of sleep last night between all the crying, so I think I might have to move.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Lizard Wizard posted:

Does she have the baby on a PA system or something?

She's my landlady in the sense that I'm renting a room in her apartment, and the two bedrooms are next to each other so I can hear the baby through the wall. The kid's cute, but she's got a real set of lungs.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

On the subject of gamer celebs, I used to watch Yahtzee's chill, short Let's Plays he did with his Australian friend, but whenever politics came up he was pretty bad, nothing Nazi-esque of course but kinda misogynistic at the very least

I used to be into that sorta super negative humour but I just find it really tiring these days. Both with videos/written stuff, and with real life friends, if I'm hanging out with a friend that digs that super negative/critical humour than I need to take a break after a while because it just bums me out.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

I dunno how interested I am in hearing the Idle Thumbs guys do a podcast entirely on their unrelated tangent topics, the big appeal of that show to me has always been how insightful they are on games as people who have worked in that industry in various forms, where most gaming podcasts/youtube people/etc are entirely from a player perspective.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

Okay I beat Ursula. Grinding out just one level and putting on Thundara Rings helped big time. Please tell me no more levels take place in the ocean (Monstro doesn't count) because in video games combat and navigation is not necessarily better down where it's wetter.

I like everything about your username/avatar/title combo

If it's KH1 you're talking about, the swimming mechanics/movement from the little mermaid world do come back later in the game, but I can't remember if they are any easier the second time around.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Octopus Pie is probably one of the best Web comics currently online imo, and I think it's ending pretty soon. Hope it sticks the landing.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

The first one, yeah.

Honestly everything about this game is kind of a miserable experience. Would this series have even taken off if it weren't for the Disney and Final Fantasy fan service?

Are you playing the remaster? I think that is meant to fix some of the janky camera controls.

Kh1 is ok imo but I don't think it's aged very well as there are now far better action games. I dig it though, it has a nice fairytale tone to the whole story, the way you manage your skills is neat, and the non Disney levels all have really nice art direction. Everything that came after doubled down on the anime and is garbage though; I think the plot of kh3 is about killing a team of different copies of the bad guy from kh2, and it has time travel in it?

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

I've never played Hyrule Warriors but I really want to if not only because it's the only videogame I can think of where you can play an entomancer class

If you mean a person who controls bugs I'm pretty sure one of the monster hunter games has "large beetle + flute you play to tell it what to do" as a weapon set.

What are good + chill city building games? I have 100 hours in cities skylines and I want some other way to look after a little pretend town. Bonus points if it's a historical sim.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Harrow posted:

You know what my favorite part of Nier's ridiculously convoluted backstory is? There are like two events total from that backstory that are actually relevant to the plot of Nier. The vast majority of the crazy wars and the international politics and all the stuff with the Legion and all the connections to Drakengard are this huge, complex, weird as hell story that they wrote just because gently caress it, why not, it's rad as hell. All that really matters is White Chlorination Syndrome, the Gestalt Project, the Black Scrawl, and the way Gestalts and Replicants diverged. Everything else is totally bonkers and totally irrelevant and I love it.

And then apparently most of what happened in Nier isn't even relevant for Nier: Automata so :v:

I was mostly following up until the part where after the end of Nier the Earth is invaded by aliens, who are the antagonists (I think?) of Nier Automata.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

i just beat halo reach. it was my first halo campaign i ever finished.

they should have made a game about flying cool ships and not one about shooting the same 3 enemies and sometimes punching them when shooting takes too long.

idk. those two flying levels ruled though. everything else was boring

Halo 1+2+3 are really fun campaigns to just play all the way through with a buddy sitting on the couch. I dunno if the more recent halo games still have splitscreen or not.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

I bought the indie metroidvania Hollow Knight this morning, it seems ok. I've played an hour and I can already tell there's gonna be a lot to do and to explore, you are a tiny bug knight in a tiny abandoned insect kingdom, and everything is really nicely drawn and painted and 2D animated. Tiny nitpick - you get five "lives" but you can regenerate them pretty easily by expending a resource you get by killing enemies, so losing a life is not such a big deal. despite this, the screen has this big flash effect whenever you lose one and it's kind of distracting. It's probably more useful when the game gets harder though. It's very open-ended, you just show up in a little bug town and you go down a well and start poking around the caves and finding things.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

I only buy sequels if they have the word "origins" or "revelations" in the title, otherwise I just don't know what the heck I'm getting.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

I have a GOG copy of Soul Reaver that I tried to play, but it wouldn't register my controller properly for some reason and it's a real slog to play with a keyboard. I only managed maybe the first half an hour, but I was struck by how puzzle gamey it was, where there are enemies but the way to kill them is by throwing them on environmental hazards.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Download controller companion for $2 on Steam and Soul Reaver will work like a charm with any XBox gamepad. Not only that game but also any oldschool title that no longer has controller support.

I only have a PS4 controller, sadly. I used Inputmapper and it was registering the inputs but if I wasn't touching anything Raziel would just walk to the left forever. It made platforming, uh, difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Hollow Knight is pretty good but it does that thing where a save point is far away from a boss room, so the requisite 3-4 deaths while you learn how to do a boss also involve doing the same couple minutes of platforming beforehand, and it's kind of annoying. Otherwise if anyone wants to play a pretty good metroidvania full of tiny well animated bug people then y'all should check it out.

• Locked thread