Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Mordja posted:

The only Bioware game I've ever played to completion is Mass Effect 1 and I thought the romances were pretty messed up since you're literally playing as everyone's boss. Unprofessional.

The game draws inspiration from Star Trek, which is infamous for both a captain who sleeps with everyone and a fandom who was so obsessed with romancing crew members with their self-insert characters they actually coined the term Mary Sue. In that context, Mass Effect is somewhat tame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

fridge corn posted:

I don't know any!!!!

They all more or less trace their lineage to Devil May Cry, which was itself going to be a Resident Evil game with some Onimusha elements mixed in but got turned into its own thing. Combo based action where time plays into it, different weapons to use, that sort of thing. I personally tried to get into Bayonetta since I was a DMC fan but the ADD presentation made it tough for me to enjoy. Metal Gear Revengeance is allegedly the most fun of the bunch (at least according to my friends who also came from loving DMC and similar games like God of War) so one of these days I'll have to try it.

And so should you. Also go play DMC1 and 3 if you haven't because they're very good games.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

FirstAidKite posted:

I discovered a cool looking board game yesterday that I hope I can some day afford to buy. It is called Neuroshima Hex!

Players pick out a faction and take turns drawing and placing units in preparation of an attack, then when a player plays an attack thing, all of the attacks go off at once. It looks neat, I like the artwork, I wish I had the money to be able to buy it (yes I know on the previous page I mentioned arena of the planeswalkers but that was my fiancee buying it for both of us to play and I don't like asking her to buy me things since I make zero money and have zero income and am a leech and parasite :\ in every sense of the word :( )

Some more screenshots from the expansion factions.

I've been told that there is a cheap app for smart phones that lets you play the game and that it is one of the best ways to experience it since it keeps track of any maths stuff you'd have to deal with normally during gameplay, but unfortunately I don't have a smart phone and I'm certainly not getting one to play a game on the app store lol

I have the App Store version. It's really good, but yeah, not exactly worth the investment if you don't already have a smart phone or tablet.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Finished Nioh main story, it was a lot of fun and I recommend it to anybody who likes action/souls games. If you want to wait until it's cheaper, that's cool but make sure to play itttt. The story is pretty dry but it's no really the main draw, with the exception of drunken one-eyed cat. However, I found a gamebreaking ability that made the last couple bosses a pushover. Don't get the mage ability that slows enemies down unless you want most bosses to be way less challenging.

LawfulWaffle posted:

Is it worth playing single player against the AI? Or do you play it with friends?

Sorry for the late reply, but I play against the AI. None of my friends play it, it was hard enough to get them to get them in on Carcassonne even though we play that in person a lot and everyone loves it.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

thehoodie posted:

What's a good game to play on my (non-gaming) laptop? Looking for something I can play for a 30 minute break every day or so. I have FTL, Dungeon of the Endless, and Dungeons of Dredmor which I like, but looking for something new.

Nuclear Throne, Darkest Dungeon, Rimworld

Also

CJacobs posted:

Spelunky Spelunky Spelunky

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Lurdiak posted:

Why isn't called Aloy: Dinosaur Robot Hunter.

Touched it up a little.

exquisite tea posted:

FC3 in particular has maybe the least likeable protagonist in a video game ever, which maybe was kind of the point(?) but either way it really dragged the experience down for me.

The poo poo hit the fan at full speed when it turned out the writer thought FC3's story was like the cleverest thing ever.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

In Training posted:

I probably still like some FF or DQ games more for ... story.

:monocle:

I think someone hijacked In Training's account.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Xenogears final dungeon was a big maze full of nearly identical rooms that took me 2 hours to get through and I hated every minute of it. FF7's 30-40 minute long thing was easy breezy by comparison and also had a neat song.

FF4's final dungeon was top tier, and may also have the hardest regular monster encounters for any FF game.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Feb 27, 2017

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
That initial price ask is dumb but I will buy and enjoy Bulletstorm on PS4 when it's on sale for $20 or less, which it will most certainly hit by or before holiday 2017.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

This was painful to watch.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Nasgate posted:

Agreed on Doom/Wolf.

I just played through new Doom and it was really fun. Like people hyped it up and I was still sort of broadsided by how much I enjoyed it and how visceral kills and weapon variety made it really work extremely well, especially at harder difficulties. It also utterly oozed atmosphere and the fact that melee and interact are the same button was not a coincidence or simplifying controls at all. It was hilarious.

To answer the question "who are these games made for" in reference to Mass Effect, the answer could just as well be "bloodychill and bloodychill alone" because I still really enjoy them. The new one is a big question mark but eh, that's every new game.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

GUI posted:

I don't see what the big deal is. All the Mass Effect games, and RPGs in general, have their fair share of goofy/low budget animations in their 30+ hour playtime.

New Vegas is an infamous example of a great RPG with bad animation but it's usually laid at the feet of Bethesda. Honestly I think most developers gently caress this poo poo up, with Naughty Dog being maybe the only one to get it really right and a handful of others doing a serviceable job.

CJacobs posted:

Yes but sometimes those games also have good graphics and animation, whereas this game has consistently shown that it has none of either.

edit: Remember that this isn't just goofy animations, this is what they chose to show the public. This is what they decided best represents the game. They sent this to IGN in this state and said "eople who are undecided on whether or not they're gonna buy it, this is what our game will look like".

Eh, yeah but it's one 1 second clip in a big thing. It reminds me of the Brom scene from Horizon. It's really bad but having played the game for 12 hours now, I can say that the voice acting is usually competent and that was an outlier. However, Even stranger is that the facial animation rigging is also uneven because sometimes it's really good and sometimes it's even worse than what we saw in that scene.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Mar 1, 2017

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

CJacobs posted:

facial animations were all hosed and ugly

March thread title imo

and yeah, I'm definitely not hyped for Andromeda and this doesn't even scratch the surface of the reasons why. Lots of staff leaving, barely anything to show of the game until the month before-hand, lots of talk of "open world game" but then it's not or something, not a lot of chatter about the multiplayer, which was a great part of ME3, and while some people may have loved Inquisition, it wasn't really my thing and it's looking like large parts of the team that worked on that are on Andromeda. See: Peebee, just a cheesy character.

Still, with expectations low, I'm hoping for the best since a good game is always appreciated.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Mar 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
What are the questionable last minute design choices?

• Locked thread