Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

Did you actually read the series of tweets linked or just that one? The reason the person said that is because even basic enemies can one-shot you.

No one else seems to have mentioned that, though. Maybe they just sucked at wearing armor and building a character?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

Maybe. I guess we'll see in like 3 days. :shrug:

I can't wait. I'm still not sure I'm getting it, because there's a real catastrophe going on in my house right now that's going to have budgetary implications. But at the same time, god I need a vacation from it, so maybe I should splurge anyway for my sanity.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

lets hang out posted:

the polygon article does mention getting combo'd to death which you can prevent by just hitting the block button so

There is a strong tendency for people, including me, to exhagerrate quick deaths into "being one-shotted". Playing a lot of souls, I have learned to become more observant about when and where damage is happening. Before developing this as a skill, lots of very quick deaths feel like being one-shotted. But actually you were only at 80% health and it was a 2-hit combo and you mid-attack so they got counter-damage. Stuff like that.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Preordered Nioh Digital Deluxe. So hype.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Level gating certain content behind red skull level enemies is the biggest failing off Witcher 3. It's really dumb.

Edit: like, yeah you can just go do a main quest and come back, but you already ride back and forth across the area plenty of times. It hinders natural exploration and the strengths of the open world.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
My pair of lovely Skull Candy headphones has been working for years. They broke once when I ran over the cord with a rolly chair, but I took an xacto knife to the cord with the intent of splicing it back together, but I didn't even need to do that. They just started working again. I've been using them with a half inch of exposed wire for 2 years now. I can't believe they work at all.

Like I was gonna put electrical tape over it, but then I never did.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
What the gently caress do you guys do to your headphones? I certainly don't take care of mine...

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Vincent posted:

That means you're going in the right direction.

No, dead bodies mean you've already been there. Live enemies means you're going the right direction...

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lizard Wizard posted:

Hi hello, is Styx good?
I had a lot of fun playing it, but ended up getting bored before finishing it. The mechanics are pretty cool. They did a good job of giving you a lot of tools that have their purposes, and also designing levels that have more or less optimal ways to get through them. So there's more than one way to do things, but often, there's a best way.

Combat is not a thing. Like, if you get seen by one enemy, you probably kill them, if you get seen by 2 enemies, haha good luck. Still maybe possible. But it's not like Thief or Deus Ex, or something where when the alarms go off you can just fight. You can't even attack. Combat is countering only. Which actually is really cool. But let that sink in.

basicall this:

Real hurthling! posted:

the game is a old style stealth game so prepare to reload a loving lot everytime you gently caress up

it has charm but i couldnt hang with it. sequel coming soon could improve things

styx the band is way better,

If you're getting it for less than 10 bucks or free (I got it for free) it's worth your time.

Looking forward to the sequel.

but anyway...

NIOH IS loving GAME OF THE YEAR

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

I wish I could just plug an ethernet cable into the Wii U. Download speeeed

Why? You can't play Nioh on the Wii U

and also, are you serious? there's no way to wire up the Wii U? Is that a joke? does nintendo know how to make technology?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The "soul matching" system in Nioh helps with the fiddly loot bits quite a bit. There's a bit more to it, butthe gist of it is that you can upgrade the level of an equiptment item by feeding it another item of a higher level. The original item becomes the levek of the new item.

So rather than constantly having ti swao gear to new stuff, you can just feed it to your old stuff. I had a level 6 sword, and got a level 14 spear as a drop. Soul Match, my sword is now level 14.

Ditto with armor. It's a really neat way to to it. There's also a refashion system so you can make your armor look like any armor you jave previously picked up. You don't even have to still have it. So fashion is alive and very well.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

MMF Freeway posted:

Not at all, if anything its the opposite since the cost to soul match goes up every time you do it (for that particular item).

I haven't looked for comparison, but is the cost going up because of repeated soul matching, or does it jhst costs more to soulmatch higher level item? Possibly some combination of both...

Edit: ^thats what I've been told, I haven't tested it myself. But other goons in discord said that was the case, that picking up an item once gives you the design for it.

Snak fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Feb 8, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
You either sell trash or disassemble it into crafting mats. High tier crafting mats can be crafted out of low tier crafting mats. So you can literally hit a button that says "select all uncommon or below gear" and turn it into a pile of mats.

When you craft an item, the recipe calls for certain mats, but you can choose the quality of the mats you put into it, and it shows you straight up how this effects the percentage chance to determine the rarity of the crafted item.

So if you want to make a sword and it calles for 3 steel ingots, you can make it with 3 basic steel ingots and have a 45% chance it will come out yellow, 20% chance it will come out blue, or 3 high quality steel ingots to shift the chances to like 30% yellow, 30% blue. And any combination in between. And you can make high quality ingots out of basic ingots.

If you don't care about that, you can offer items at shrine to sell them for amrita (xp), or sell them at the blacksmith for gold. So there are 3 different ways to dispose of your trash items, and some pretty handy selection tools to manage a big inventory.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
So I redownload the re7 demo because it was supposed to be updated, but when I start it, it still just says "beginning hour", and it seems exactly the same. Is the updated content tacked into the end and I have to play through the beginning hour demo to get to it?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I skipped about 30 pages, so I'm sorry if this was posted already

Holy poo poo that ad for Deus Ex: Human Revolution came true:
https://i.imgur.com/S7zAqgR.gifv

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Guy Mann posted:

Normally I'd agree but society did a surprisingly good job at quashing Google Glass across the board.

yeah, but the big concern there was privacy. It will make a comeback in a few years when privacy is completely stamped out.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm not a very good button masher, I got run over by those boulders like 10 times each.

Edit: FirstAidKite is a ray of sunshine in a field of bitter, cynical, mean shadows.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Like, I get why you would oppose incremental upgrades on an ideological level, but... Upgrading the system that you have, and you know you like, and you know will play the games you already own, is not a stupid choice...

Going from ps4 to ps4pro is like buying a new video card. Pc gamers do it all the time. And and 400 dollars for a new video card is really not that steep.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I get that. Don't buy it.

I'm not gonna buy it cause I can't afford it. But ps4 does everything I want it to. And if the next ps4 does everything I want it to also, I will also buy it. I used ti be a pc gamer, but I was poor, and I will never again pay for parts that"might" or "kind of l" run a game. If I can pay for a console and every game released on that console will run on it, I am happy. I was never haooy with my pc.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

bloodychill posted:

The game draws inspiration from Star Trek, which is infamous for both a captain who sleeps with everyone and a fandom who was so obsessed with romancing crew members with their self-insert characters they actually coined the term Mary Sue. In that context, Mass Effect is somewhat tame.

And yet in Star Trek, no captain ever sleeps with a member of their crew.

There might be some maybes. Like you could argue that Kirk banged Yeoman Rand off camera at some point, but it's unsubstantiated.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Quest For Glory II posted:

apparently somethingawful.com is on the list of sites affected by the cloudflare breach so yayyyy time to change passwords again

I don't even know what my password is...

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

If it helps, 2B isn't the only playable character, and in fact you'll spend more time playing as a male-model android who wears a pretty normal shirt and shorts.

What the gently caress.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

CrashCat posted:

Push button, send to twitter or youtube? Where are you going to send them that one of those won't work anyway

Sending pic to Twitter just gives you a really lovely compressed tiny image. Like if you needed to read text, it's worthless.

Or at least it was when I tried it over a year ago.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I feel like, in this context, "invisible hand" refers to a single actor. The argument being that it is an aggregate effect and not a single actor.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

corn in the bible posted:

That's not what invisible hand means unless you are willfully literal

I know that's not what it means. That's how it seemed like it was being used in that instance, though.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I had some computer problems and then some real life problems that cause me to stop updating my LPs suddenly. But when I get back in a situation to do them, I have a the rest of my current one in and the entire sequel already recorded. I like editing, but it's time consuming and I am trying to graduate.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

Free Bird continues to be the best song in the game, and also I forgot how awesome the end of the game is. I just got the Grim Reaper abducted by aliens at Stonehenge and they flew off with him leaving a message saying "Live and Let Rock" among the stars, all set to fireworks, after getting 5 stars on Free Bird. Video games were a good idea.

Fixed.

Just kidding.

I'm so mad that Tony Head did a bit of a Freedbird cover in one episode of Buffy and it was amazing, and then like 10 fuckin years later he finally did a full cover on one of his albums and it was not even close to as good as the bit on the show.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Neil Stephenson was working on a realistic sword fighting simulator with vr support called "Clang!" for awhile, but it died. Probably because there's no way to give impact feedback, so you can't actually do realism at all and the whole thing kind of falls apart. "Totally realistic sword fighting except for the fact that you can't actually hit swords" kind of has no appeal what-so-ever.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The only modern CoD I've played is Ghosts. Now, I hear that it was a bad one, but to this day I cannot get over how gross the story of the campaign was.

The bad guy kills one of your group. And every one is flipping out. He's a villain, he has to go down. In a war, a guy got killed. You killed 300 people during the tutorial. And what makes the villain bad is he killed a guy. It made Hunger Games look like Shakespeare.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I just mean like, the completely juvenile attempt at emotional manipulation while also making the war even more of a setting than usual. Like hundreds of people dying on both sides constantly was accepted by the 5 major characters as the setting and we were only supposed to care about the Dawson's creek level dramatic writing between those 5 characters. It just felt really weird.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

The sooner you accept that enemies in the COD campaigns are paper targets with slightly more mobility and nothing more unless they have a name, the sooner you will be able to play them and have fun instead of thinking about how many orphans and widows you have created

I don't mean that. I don't give a poo poo about that. This isn't a "ludonarrative dissonance" argument.

I mean the dialogue was literally like what someone in junior high would write to try to sound edgy and badass. Like the characters were in an 11 year old's concept if what war as a setting would be like. Then I got online and played multiplayer with a bunch of children born after 9/11 and felt really uncomfortable about the whole thing.

There were some great Halloween dlcs though, where you could play as The Predator or Michael Myers in soecial game types...

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Looper posted:

I apologize for the consecutive posts, I'm at work and quoting multiple people is a pain in awful app

Hope everyone's having an alright day

It is, but what I usually do is quote one person, then hit the back button, then quote the next person and hit "append" when it asks about my saved draft.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

FirstAidKite posted:

Oh ok so "adulting" is just like

someone going "Hey I've gotta go adulting and pick up some groceries" or whatever

ok

Yeah or like "I did the dishes, paid all the bills, and vacuumed. Adulting sucks"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Mak0rz posted:

raiding tombs is illegal and tigers are endangered

I mean, I guess if you want like, aliens to rebuild atlantis so they can rule as gods, crime bosses to become immortal dragons, the fuckin Thing getting free from Antarctica*, mummies to rise again, or the nephilim to be ressurected, I guess you could not raid tombs because it's illegal.

*I don't actually remember the plot of TR3. There was an Antarctic research base full of mutants and dudes with flamethrowers, though. It wasn't subtle.

Edit: Also, who cares about shiiting tigers? When I finally play Rise of the Tomb Raider, I'm gonna be pissed if there's not a T-Rex.

All the good Tomb Raider games have a T-Rex.

Snak fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Mar 1, 2017

• Locked thread