Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GUI
Nov 5, 2005

He should hang out with fellow manly pro skater Solid Snake imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

What's the deal with Xboner ads

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

That's pretty par the course for GBA cover art.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

FirstAidKite posted:

For some reason I still remember the awful super duper sumos theme

THEY'VE GOT GUTS!

AND BUTTS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9nhr38z1MQ

Jeeze

Until I remembered and posted that cover this was one of the shows I had blocked from memory.

The other was Yvon of the Yukon. :smithicide:

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

So in Bayonetta's battle theme that plays during the whole game there's a part where the singer goes "sadness lies in your smile." Why is Bayonetta sad????? I'm 10 levels in and so far she's just a womanchild who kills things and rides bikes.

Game is good so far, but I'm not a fan of anything outside the combat. I last tried playing it two years ago and the bosses are still a mess of particle effects and camera shaking that make it hard to see what's going on.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

After 4+ years of playing GTAV on and off I'm finally nearing the end and it's bad. The city design is incredible and the best in open world games, and the writing for the characters (the ~~satire~~ is a mixed bag) and their relationships is great and generally above most AAA drivel, but that's about it. The mission design is garbage: dozens of 1-2 minute "missions" which are glorified cutscenes were you do absolutely nothing except drive to a location - so much of the game is listening to people talk during car rides.. Plenty of missions like the one I mentioned before, except with the added twist where you'll do a one-time automated activity like taking pictures. Fetch quest side missions where you have to find objects around the game world. A couple of missions actually have combat which, even for a game originally released in 2013, is dull cover shooting that wouldn't feel out of place in a 2007-2008 shooter released post-Gears 1 - no originality or decent AI whatsoever. You can't even spend your spare time in the open world shooting things since you die easily and the damage feedback for both player and enemies is awful. This is ignoring all the pointless fluff like the stock market web browsing and those half-finished minigames like tennis.

I've spent ages approaching the game from a million different angles because of all the rave reviews, but all in all outside the world design itself the actual act of playing it sucks. RIP i guess.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Bogart posted:

Hiya. I'm trying to get through the Nathan Drake collection, but Uncharted 1 is just banal platforming plus unfun shooting. Should I stick it out for the story and dialogue (which I do kinda like) or just jump to 2?

Uncharted 1 is the shortest and shouldn't take longer than 5-6 hours. Finish that instead.

If you don't like either of those things I don't know how much you'll like the rest though, especially 4 if you get around to playing it. That one is 15 hours long and mostly banal platforming and walking sections.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Doom 3 was well received back in the day despite the internet hating it nowadays. Its graphics were incredible and it was a solid atmospheric action/horror game despite not being like past Doom titles.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

xedo posted:

Is Mirror's Edge Catalyst worth $10? I enjoyed the first one.

It's the same as the first but with faster movement and an open world that has linear campaign missions, side missions and time trials. I thought it was great and easily worth the full price I paid for it on release, but I love any game like it and Dying Light or Sunset Overdrive where the main focus is in the movement and all the traversal options at your disposal.

I hope it gets a sequel one day that fixes its shortcomings, but supposedly it sold just ok and the hardcore crowd hated it, so I doubt EA will bother with the franchise again.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

They called the fourteenth Call of Duty Call of Duty 5

They called the third Xbox the Xbox One. It's a wild world we live in..........

Quest For Glory II posted:

2017-2018 could be full of fives

Deus Ex 5
uhhh Thief 5? idk

Don't play with my heart like that.

GUI fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Feb 24, 2017

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Nier takes itself about as seriously as Revengence does, which is to say barely at all.

I got the Platinum trophy in Nier and saw all endings and this definitely isn't the case at all. It's a goofy game with plenty of depressive anime moments, closer to an anime tragicomedy than anything.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I remember reading an interview with the producer of Bulletstorm and she mentioned that she had to ask the designers not to give the Trishka character giant bouncing titties. The designers were apparently dumbfounded by the suggestion (and that was just their default impression of what "kickass video game chick" was) and they had to have a long meeting to address the breast size issue.

So that post that was saying that seeing overly sexualized women in video games reminds them of the gender gap in the industry and makes the connection that representation is a symptom of larger industry concerns is 100% correct

I remember this. The guy she had arguments with was Adrian Chmielraz (guy who was behind Painkiller, is now co-founder of The Astronauts) and he's a GamerGater who would occasionally get into Twitter shitstorms back in the day.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I finished GTAV today. I stand by what I said in another one of my (bad) posts: the city atmosphere and graphics are incredible but the gameplay is absolute garbage. Too bad ~~ video game reviewers ~~ put production values and polish above everything else because that 97% metacritic is crazy. Did no one care about the clunky on-foot movement? Did everyone really love how dozens of missions are interactive driving/piloting cutscenes that you can't fail unless you really intentionally try? Did everyone love how most side missions are 30-100 collectible fetch quests or mind numbing tedium? Did no one care about how the game abruptly wraps up in the final mission with no build-up???? Whatever, video games.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

CJacobs posted:

GTA 5 could have been fun to play if they'd just used Max Payne 3's control scheme instead of the stupid one they went with. Yes, make me hold down the A button at literally all times or else I walk, thanks. I can definitely see the benefits of this. Walking to running based on stick sensitivity, what's that? :geno:

They eventually added a Third Person Shooter control option that lets you press the left stick to activate run mode and hold it to sprint. Only took them 3 years.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Bulletstorm was an excellent game (can't believe it's been 7 years already) and it deserves better than an overpriced remaster with a laughable Duke Nukem DLC. That thing is going to bomb and it'll probably kill off what little chances there were for a sequel.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Meme Emulator posted:

I thought I was going to hate Bulletstorm but it was probably the best FPS of 2011. Im pretty sure thats damning with faint praise both Bulletstorm and every other piece of crap that came out alongside of it.

It's not as good nowadays with the reboots of Doom, Shadow Warrior, and Wolfenstein being out, but back then it was a breath of fresh air amongst all the scripted AAA MFPS'es set in the Middle East.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

CJacobs posted:

I know this is from a few pages back now but holy poo poo, I might need to replay GTA 5 now :eyepop:

edit: Does anyone know what this option is actually called in the game menus?

They're called Third Person Shooter Controls or something similar.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

The F-Zero GX character endings... :eyepop:

21:56 is me irl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I don't see what the big deal is. All the Mass Effect games, and RPGs in general, have their fair share of goofy/low budget animations in their 30+ hour playtime.

• Locked thread