Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

In Training posted:

Never forget horse armor. It was the beginning of the end.

I almost bought the horse armor when it was double price and everything else was half off. Making me laugh that hard was kinda worth the price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

CrashCat posted:

that's really impressive that No Man's Sky knocked cancergame off the pretentiousness championship. Everyone had it as a lock for years and years of previews

I think the fact that the kid actually died during its development takes it from pretentious to genuinely tragic. It's less an art piece and more watching someone cope in real time.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Ekster posted:

I think we can all agree that No Man's Sky is a different kind of tragedy.

That's more tragic on the level of seeing someone beaned in the groin by a soccer ball every five minutes.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

El Diablo Bob O posted:

Regardless, was this game at any point a sound idea?

I understand the need to cope with this terrible situation and I realize that people come to grips with tragedy in their own ways, but the creation of this game doesn't seem like a good way to do this. I know that the sentiment is genuine, but the whole thing seems off you know?

I personally don't think it's pretension, just misguided ideals.

While I totally agree, it's got kind of a weird outsider art vibe to it. I think a lot of the negative feelings around it stem from that it had to be marketed somehow, which is just wrong for a project like that.

"YEAH! CANCER! GET SOME! #OUYA" was... not the best thing for it.

It's probably the most art-game art-game ever, if just because I don't think I've ever really seen a video game that was 100% not designed to be entertaining. It's an expression of the creators' grief more than anything else, which is really kind of fascinating. Even other art games are made by people who wanted to make art, TDC was made just because they didn't know what else to do to cope.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

CrashCat posted:

That's always what it was about. But it's been video game "Oscar bait" ever since it first got picked up by the media. To be fair the pretentiousness pretty much lies entirely at their feet.

Yeah, I think that just inevitably gets dragged out because of how long it takes to make a game, plus they had to actually deal with their kid having cancer at the same time. Kind of a no-win situation.

Unrelated: I'm surprised by how much fun RE5 is. It's definitely not a timeless classic like RE4 was, but it's a real good time in co-op and beating the game for infinite ammo really makes it a blast afterwards. Going Dirty Harry style in my Chris playthrough while wearing a dumb as gently caress zebra outfit is pretty great.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Bicyclops posted:

Cathedral Ward is way easier than Central Yharnam and the Aqueduct so far, if only because the enemies are so spaced apart. Fighting one dude at a time is so much better than dealing with a crowd. I only died once finding the next lantern.

I just keep cracking the Insight skulls, figuring there's no reason not to. I don't see anything to spend it on but Father Gascoigne gear, so I'm going to wait.

Some weird purple portal appeared early in the level and didn't seem to do anything? Hopefully I didn't miss anything.

Having tons of insight is actually bad (but not very), and boss armor is worth getting though, since it's unique and cool. Best thing to spend insight on other than one-off items is weapon materials, which open up more in the insight shop once you're later in the game.

That purple "portal" would have done nothing other than hurt very very badly at this point in the game. One gets you a warp to a nightmare area later though, and another's used to enter the DLC.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

precision posted:

I saw both Cowboy Bebop and the Vampire Hunter D movies in theater, both times we were the only two in the place. Then again those were both around 2000 and anime had not yet really infected Knoxville

Vampire Hunter D, the first one, was great. I loved how way back in the day you'd occasionally could catch it at like, 3 AM on Cartoon Network or the sci-fi channel. 80s anime in general was pretty awesome, they need to bring back weird space operas instead of just having everything be about high schoolers.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'm more concerned about how it's candy that you can eat :psyduck:

e: Wait, am I an idiot - did they really name their line of toys after a candy?

Yes. Notice how it says "Rock Candy vinyl collectible".

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Help Im Alive posted:

Which is the smelliest type of convention

Anime Central in Chicago named their con rave the Soap Bubble to remind people to loving bathe.

It's anime cons.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Snak posted:

So I redownload the re7 demo because it was supposed to be updated, but when I start it, it still just says "beginning hour", and it seems exactly the same. Is the updated content tacked into the end and I have to play through the beginning hour demo to get to it?

It's the same demo, now it goes on longer. They actually even cut some of the endings, I don't think it's possible to get the phone calls any more.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

raditts posted:

So is the rear end in a top hat kid supposed to be named Porky and not Pokey? It didn't occur to me until I was watching my kids play that story mode on the Wii Smash Bros and it was spelled that way there, but it makes sense. Wonder why they didn't bother changing that for the VC version of Earthbound, I guess they figured it wasn't worth the trouble.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJtATiyM2go

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Dr Cheeto posted:

What's the best way to play the original DOOM these days?

GZDoom, or if you're really wanting to be basic old-school Doom as possible, Chocolate Doom.

The OP of the Old FPS thread has links to stuff, and the thread's generally a good time, too: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3420790

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

CJacobs posted:

Is Nioh not in 1080p in the 60fps mode on the standard PS4? I thought it was but maybe it's in 720 or 900 instead.

On standard PS4 the options are 720/60 or 1080/30 if it's the same as during the demo periods.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Phantasium posted:

Everyone should play Philosoma. It's not a terribly great shmup but it's got a neat horror story slant and the JP only sequel was straight up a survival horror game.

Also scored by the guy who did Shadow of the Colossus.

That game is rad. The constantly shifting perspectives blew my tiny little mind back in the day. Had no idea about the sequel though, I'll have to check that out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

In Training posted:

Yes bloodborne is eligible

Bloodborne is also the correct answer. GOAT.

• Locked thread