Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
is the yo-yo fighting in Nioh good? this is probably the #1 question making me wonder if i want to buy it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
my wife is currently playing through FF5 for the first time (the GBA version)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
good googly moogly thanks for the heads up about the poo poo ton of free games just for signing up for the free trial for Origin Access.

i was really wanting to replay Dead Space 1 and 2

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

VideoGames posted:

Ash versus the Evil Dead is the Doom/Wolfenstein TNO of sequel properties coming out after a long time from the great originals and being super amazingly good.

This statement is full of truthiness.

Holy poo poo, "truthiness" is a real word, according to my spellchecker.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

My wife and I own about a dozen Pop! figures, some of them are quite cute and cool. Her favorite is this fellow

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mak0rz posted:

why would anyone want to own those awful funko pop things

indeed, how dare anyone have a different idea of what is cute to yours :eyeroll:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

raditts posted:

You seem proud of this fact and I have no idea why

I was just saying we've found about a dozen of them in sale bins that she likes and was not prepared for the blowback for committing the apparently great sin of liking something stupid in the Games chat thread :confused:

I mean I'm not "proud" my wife likes anime but I also think it's probably OK in the grand scheme of life

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

plz dont pull out posted:

What was the worst webcomic y'all read regularly?

the only ones I ever read more than like once, I read the first like 200 Questionable Contents, however many existed in 2007, that's how many i read, and about twice a year i'll look at it again because it's honestly amazing that it continues to get worse. like, you would think there would be a bottom of the barrel, but it just keeps going.

the only other ones i remember reading a bunch were Elftor and Boatface. i seem to recall them both being kinda funny.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ImpAtom posted:

Questionable Content. I don't even know why I was reading it except that I had it as part of my regular internet checklist and was too lazy to remove it.

I got started on it because of a girl I was dating at the time. And then the next one I dated also read it, except she was hate-reading it by then like I was. My current wife does not know it exists and I'm super happy about that.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

bloodychill posted:

I tried reading this because it was an ex's favorite comic and I just had to stop because it was rarely funny or clever. It was penny arcade but with relationship drama instead of video games.

Good news, after hundreds of strips that boil down to "author-insert harem anime with hipsters instead of Japan" he just went ahead and started adding actual robot-people, catgirls, and whatever else Tumblr told him to, which turned into the most astonishingly blatant use of audience- insert I've ever seen.

also the guy who draws it is crazy douchey, it's not even like some harmless guy's project, he's actively just awful.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh I actually forgot about a good webcomic one of my ex's turned me onto: Templar, Arizona. I dunno if it's still any good but I remember liking it quite a bit

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ciaphas posted:

Was 8-bit Theater actually even good, I honestly have no idea anymore

It did not age well.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Help Im Alive posted:

I just went and looked at some of the recent ones and liked this

okay that's pretty good

AriadneThread posted:

his new comic atomic robo is much better

this isn't bad either!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

GUI posted:

After 4+ years of playing GTAV on and off I'm finally nearing the end and it's bad. The city design is incredible and the best in open world games, and the writing for the characters (the ~~satire~~ is a mixed bag) and their relationships is great and generally above most AAA drivel, but that's about it. The mission design is garbage: dozens of 1-2 minute "missions" which are glorified cutscenes were you do absolutely nothing except drive to a location - so much of the game is listening to people talk during car rides.. Plenty of missions like the one I mentioned before, except with the added twist where you'll do a one-time automated activity like taking pictures. Fetch quest side missions where you have to find objects around the game world. A couple of missions actually have combat which, even for a game originally released in 2013, is dull cover shooting that wouldn't feel out of place in a 2007-2008 shooter released post-Gears 1 - no originality or decent AI whatsoever. You can't even spend your spare time in the open world shooting things since you die easily and the damage feedback for both player and enemies is awful. This is ignoring all the pointless fluff like the stock market web browsing and those half-finished minigames like tennis.

Thank you. I've been saying exactly this for years. It's the best made world but the absolute worst of the 3D games in terms of mission design.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Goddamn Andromeda looks good.

Also, playing Dragon Age: Origins on PC for the first time. Holy poo poo, it's so much better than playing on console it's not even funny.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

exquisite tea posted:

Dragon Age has a lot of really really well-done elements like the origin stories themselves and the way that all player choices weave into the Landsmeet, but it's mired in 50+ hours of some of the slowest most boring-rear end combat I've ever seen in a CRPG. It feels like everybody is fighting underwater and good lord there is a lot of it. God help you if you go to Redwall first and try to get the mages' assistance. At least you can break it fairly early on with Mana Clash or some similarly OP mage spell.

I actually like how slow and deliberate the combat is. When I played it on console, it was too messy and annoying because you can't really use the full zoomed out Baldur's Gate style.

PantsBandit posted:

Enjoy. Origins is one of my favorite RPGs of all time. The combat feels so drat good and every class is viable. (protip: pump dex points into alistair. A tank doesn't need hp when nobody can hit him!)

Check out Awakening too if you haven't played it. They turn up all the classes to 11 and make them insanely OP. It's not hard, but it is a nice little power-fantasy.

Yeah I played the whole shebang way back 7 years ago on PS3, and really loved Awakening. Everything looks so much cleaner on PC, especially the interface.

I'm playing Sword/Shield because I did Rogue and Mage already, so I'm gonna ditch Alistair as soon as I can get Shale.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm the one guy who liked FF3DS

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Zaggitz posted:

If this guy can get married, there's hope for everyone, goons.

You have no idea how true that is. I'm a mess! Thankfully, to quote one of the women in Brokeback Mountain, "Girls don't fall in love with fun!"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lurdiak posted:

Man I really wish that Scott Pilgrim game wasn't awful, the pixel art is so charming.

"Awful" is pretty harsh, I enjoyed it enough at the time. Definitely could have been better.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm playing Peggle for the first time ever

why is this so fun, help

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Help Im Alive posted:

Where does Enter the Matrix on PS2 fall into all this

I remember actually enjoying that game quite a bit, aside from the janky bullshit driving sequence.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

reminds me of classic awesome arcade game Xenophobe

goddamn that one was a quarter muncher, but so fun

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Blackfyre posted:

Heres my controversial opinion... I didn't find Rare all that great back in the day. I've always assumed it was something my end that wasn't clicking. Goldeneye and DKC I really enjoyed (PD by extension but I didn't like it as much as Goldeneye for many reasons) but I really wouldn't have been fussed if that was all they ever made.

RC Pro Am was loving godlike at the time

But then they got one-upped by whatever shitnothing company made Micro Machines, haha

e: Battletoads was Legit Good and 14 year old me had no problem beating it :colbert:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I never did play Battletoads vs. Double Dragon. Or Double Dragon Neon, come to think on it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2 are harsh but fair and imo are great examples of level and encounter design in re: the sphere of 2D platforming kill'em-ups

3 is a lot more bullshit but still a good game

and that's been prazzy-kun's hot takes of the day, brought to you by Nissin Cup Noodles. sugoi!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
all i want to know is if that horrible voice acting cut scene is real

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jay Rust posted:

I wear glasses, I'm already a man-machine.

You know, I would have thought that LASIK would be cheap by now. What's taking so long? It's still like $1000, same price as literally 20 years ago.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Well true. I'm just saying, if you had asked me 20 years ago I would have thought that by now LASIK would be something you could get done in an afternoon for $50.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

PantsBandit posted:

I thought Evil Within tanked because it was hot garbage

It kind of is, but it's the kind of hot garbage that is secretly also pretty good, like Deadly Premonition.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Civ V with all the expansions is, no hyperbole, one of the ten best games in the history of video games

:yeah:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The best Kirby game is Kirby Tilt n Tumble and it saddens me that more people don't recognize.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Quest For Glory II posted:

its all fine if things were more balanced, but there aint enough games with either not-tittilation or reverse-tittilation yet, i mean it's better now but in the AAA world not much has changed

indie world it's all good

AAA world still believes only dudes play games and would respond to "women make up huge % of AAA gaming" with "FAKE NEWS!!! THEY ONLY PLAY CANDY CRUSH"

what i'm saying is. indie games buy indie games and play them, indie games

Indie games own and all but they have their own set of problems and cliches these days.

Rest assured that every game maker aside from possibly crazy people like SUDA51 follows the philosophy "If it worked once, put it in every game until it stops working, and probably for another 10 years after".

But in general I do agree, like I've played This War of Mine over 100 hours on PC and PS4 combined.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

exquisite tea posted:

There is no invisible guiding hand toward progressivism. Society's values are fragile, malleable and always subject to shift in the opposite direction, and battles are won in the court of public opinion and discussion. The cumulative effect of many people saying "this is creepy + racist + misogynistic + whatever" can and does alter the decisions of game developers over time, but expecting they'd just come to the same conclusion on their own is wishful thinking at best. Such conversations need to happen, uncomfortable as though they might be.

Your thesis statement is directly contradicted by the rest of your paragraph. That cumulative effect is the invisible guiding hand. B-

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Phantasium posted:

Did any of you ever win any game magazine contests?

No, though back when the internet was pretty new (1998 I wanna say) Matador's website had a contest to write a funny caption for some picture of Jon Spencer in a gorilla suit. I have no clue what I submitted, as I was undoubtedly stoned off my nut and also probably in a hurry to go play frisbee golf (look, I did say it was the 90s), but out of the literal dozens of submissions they got mine won. They sent me a VHS tape, a t-shirt and some stickers.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

exquisite tea posted:

I don't think you understand my point at all. I'm saying the assumption that "things will always get more progressive, so why bother being vocal about it?" is a naive one, that societal values are very malleable and always subject to shift in the opposite direction.

Oh, I agree with you there. I was just being pedantic, which is why I included a letter grade, as if it were written by a college professor.

And also that there is kind of a hand, that is invisible, such as things like uploading gameplay feedback so that they can accurately see how many people are playing as historically under-represented groups (ie women and gay/bisexual people)

Like, it's probably stupid on one level that I deliberately did a Gay Shepard run of Mass Effect, because I don't care for the romance stuff in the game at all, but it also probably did a little bit of good, because I am bisexual and I find the staggering amount of straight male dick-swinging in video games to be really offputting. Like, that aspect of the game is probably the only criticism I have of Resident Evil 7 (which I just finished last night, so yes I'm including the super silly ending stuff).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
So did Last Guardian and Tides of Numenara end up being good?

I'm extremely depressed today to the point of possibly quitting my job, maybe the rush of spending money will help.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Torment still isn't out, I could have sworn it came out a couple weeks ago. Good lord.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

FirstAidKite posted:

The heck does "adulting" mean

I have no idea but I know enough to know it's not something you should Google.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah, you don't need a special word to describe the stupidity of a group of young people when just "young people" will do

I was young once, and let me tell you, I was a loving retard. I did slam poetry. On purpose

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Andrast posted:

What a millennial thing to say and do

I'd thank you to remember that I'm actually Generation X, which as my old friend Wammo once said in "There Is Too Much Light in This Bar" is the worst thing to be as it was the name of Billy Idol's first band.

Though to be fair, "Kiss Me Deadly" is a great song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Mom, dad, stop fighting, GOD.

I'll be in my room listening to The Cure.

• Locked thread