Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ok, we've seen him do his half-pipe skills now it's time to see some gerinding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Skeezy posted:

Gaming plans for this month.

-Playing a bit more Hitman but not as much because I've "Mastered" all the levels now.
-Starting Shovel Knight for the first time! (It might not have been first on my list to try after Hitman but it was a Christmas gift so there's a little bit of conspicuous consumption going on here so my wife knows she got me something I did in fact want. Otherwise I'd be playing DOOM!)

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

devtesla posted:

Woah, this looks cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_6dqzDvxNY

Coming to xb1, ps4, pc and switch!

Their animation is on point considering it triggers that primal, hair-on-the-back-my-neck sensation of seeing a snake.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

In Training posted:

You may want to check again lol

No, I know. The Pro stuff is a cool addition but it's really not much different than replaying any other game on a higher difficulty level and I don't tend to do that. I will try it out though because an extra emetic syringe from re-Mastering Sapienza would be sweet to have.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

FirstAidKite posted:

I want to know what happens if you make your snake into a knot

His head balloons up and he gets comically blue in the face.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Whenever I go into EB Games it's always a pleasant and painless experience that I'm thankful for. GameStop sounds like real bullshit retail.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Quest For Glory II posted:

did the joke fly over my head because those are the same company

Not a joke. They might be the same company (and we're used to it here in Toronto with Future Shop/Best Buy, Chapters/Indigo) but there are no GameStops anywhere and the EBs are always chill.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Started Shovel Knight last night and I'm really feeling it after only one level (well, plus the village). It's so authentic throughout, like I really am playing a game from the era. Well, except for the screen size. Having the game make use of modern huge and widescreen TVs is one welcome change. I look forward to getting a calloused thumb from using the d-pad so much!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Monkey Fracas posted:

Shovel Knight somehow strikes this uncanny balance between feeling like an old game while having none of the annoying issues that actual old games have.

There are obvious things that are unmistakably modern or not of the era, like everything that has to do with saving. Or the feats. Or tying what would have been a SFX/BGM menu screen into a collectibles hunt. But I'm not looking to play an actual NES game. I want it to be a modern game but one that can replicate what made the best games of that era so fun. Well, fun and also beautifully pixelicious and cartoony in the vein of Mega Man or Duck Tales rather than the less-detailed pixel sprites of Contra or Bro Force.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Dr Cheeto posted:

The devblog where they discuss the four or five colors they used that weren't in the NES pallette was fascinating

The part on HUDs as a background layer was cool and how on the NES, because the HUD was technically background, you could be in front of it so to speak.

You don't get much more authentic or iconic an NES experience than mimicking this:

Article here:
http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/DavidDAngelo/20140625/219383/Breaking_the_NES_for_Shovel_Knight.php

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

"If you were wondering where our revi-"
"We weren't."

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

In Training posted:

We should get a gamer into the White House

Sounds like it's being run by a bunch of GamerGaters already.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

exquisite tea posted:

There hasn't been a beat 'em up worthy of the title since like, that fan remake of Streets of Rage 2.

Dunno when that came out but I had a blast with the Scott Pilgrim beat `em up back on the 360.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Jay Rust posted:

I hate that the term for that stuff is "downloadable content", we could've done better

Dirty Little Contentses

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lurdiak posted:

There's also a weird bug in the US version where the credits screen has no credits.

If the game sucks maybe that's not an accident.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Help Im Alive posted:

Has anyone ever had a pair of headphones that lasted more than 6 months or am I just cursed

Had a run-of-the-mill pair that lasted years but had to finally give them up because the thin plastic covering the foam over the ears was flaking off like mad and getting everywhere. They still worked, though. I've yet to find a proper replacement. So many headphones either have small ear coverings, which ends up pinching my ears after a while, or the headband isn't padded so the top of my head starts to hurt after a while, or the sound leaks too much, or the cord is too short. I didn't know how good I had it with that old pair... :(

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

The headphones thread in IYG is very helpful for finding what you need. Rule #1 of course, is never buy anything sold as 'gaming' headsets or headphones because they're almost all universally crap (or just overpriced).

Sounds like you want something closed and Circumaural? Maybe try something like the Status Audio CB-1, which are very good for the price (there's a 15% off coupon you can use on their webpage too). Fake leather padding on the top and cups, closed and they form a reasonably good seal, the cord is also detachable and it comes with either a short coiled or very long straight cord. Or you can use your own cord including one with a mic if you need one.

If those are too small but the right idea, maybe try the NVX XPT-100 or Brainwavz HM5 (they're the same exact model just rebranded).

Some other good ones to check out would be Philips SHP9500s, they are open backed so be aware of that, I got a pair to try and my wife ended up loving them so she kept em.

I have weird shaped ears though, and wear glasses, so your experience may be completely different from mine as to what is comfortable.

Yeah, good tip on the gaming headsets. Never bought one of those and don't intend do. I'd probably go for the NVX model. Thanks!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

LawfulWaffle posted:

I promise I'm not going to keep white knighting this game

Post what you want, man. Don't be self-conscious about discussing how cool a new game is. That's half the fun of these forums!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

oddium posted:

let the controllers do the talking

Oh, actually, I turned my controller's speaker volume way down.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Guys, stop saying "the States" in the presence of Americans. We can't give them even more easy identifiers to spot Canadians in their midst. It's better if they think it's just aboot and eh.

CJacobs posted:

Here comes the most american opinion: I can definitely see why chip & pin is useful, it has helped prevent the 0 digital thefts attempted on my debit card and the extra 20 seconds every transaction now takes gives me ample time to stare directly into the cashier's eyes until I can sense their fear and they give me a last-minute discount!

That's why we use tap now. It's almost faster than stealing.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Harrow posted:

Why is there always a spider level :negative:

If it wasn't spiders it'd be another creepy crawly like cockroaches or millipedes.

Or they'd use lampreys and freak out everybody.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Captain Invictus posted:

That is pretty cool. Tarantulas are harmless so I can see why nobody freaked out. Like they can bite sure but almost none of them have any significant venom to them

Don't some species of tarantula have that ability to fling their barbed leg hairs and if they get in your eye they can be extremely difficult to get out?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Jay Rust posted:

There is a James Bond movie with Sean Connery that has a scene where a tarantula is released into Bond's bedroom, and it's treated like a very intense and suspenseful moment. So obviously tarantulas are crazy dangerous, otherwise the scene wouldn't make sense!

Yeah, they changed that from the novel where it was a centipede.

Help Im Alive posted:

Would people still be afraid of spiders if they were the half spider half topless woman you see in video games (i can only think of one example but I think there are lots)

A character in the comic book series Saga is one of those.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

ImpAtom posted:

I can into work through the goddamn snow only for my boss to have contacted everyone but me to let us know we're closed, followed by "Oh well if you're already there do you mind working today?" Feeling a little salty.

I'm not sure if that's the worse of the two situations, though. I remember trudging to school after a particularly bad snowstorm, only to find out when I got there that school was closed. They sent me back home and I was pissed that I made the trip for nothing. Same deal now that I'm older. I wouldn't want to go into work and then be immediately sent back (especially if I was on hourly wages, not sure what your deal is).

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wear can you even buy hats that small.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

bloodychill posted:

Rosalina is an evolved star and Daisy is an evolved fire flower, obviously.

Who's the evolved Power Balloon?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Viewtiful Jew posted:

He's playing video games in heaven now.

Bet he doesn't have to worry about external hard drives. He uploads everything to the cloud.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I really do not want to do this battle royale fight with all the bosses at the end of Shovel Knight. Died too many times and it's just getting to me.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

ImpAtom posted:

Remember your magic items, most of them can trivialize one of the knights in one way or another.

Yeah, might research that better. Will probably have to do the level over again at this point.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I know everyone was waiting to hear so I'm happy to report I did end up beating Shovel Knight. Thanks for the moral support in my time of need.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Help Im Alive posted:

It's messed up that you need to become a famous world leader to be a playable character in a video game

Or just be really good at BMX.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

DOOM has more platforming than I expected. I've been hunting for secrets by looking out for opportunities to jump up on boxes and ledges that aren't immediately obvious but more often than not that's turned out to be the actual route in the level.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Captain Invictus posted:

If there's green lights, it's the main path

That's what I thought too but either I'm finding alternate routes to the main path or the lights aren't as consistent as I figured.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Nintendo only provides suggestions. I prefer when games include ridiculous loading times, feature length cutscenes, or long stretches of tedium that force me to get up and stretch and reevaluate my life.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Help Im Alive posted:

Sometimes in the overwatch thread they talk about how their mouse sensitivity is so low that they have to slide their entire arm across like three desks to turn around + it is v strange to me

I like it so my mouse movement matches what my arm would really have to do. This is my setup, but with wraparound monitors:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Mordja posted:

Even if he never earned another cent, PewDiePie can live a life of untold luxury that people like you and I will only dream of as we toil away at our dead-end, unfulfilling jobs until automation makes them obsolete.

Millionaire Nazi is definitely one of my favourite fantasies.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lumpy the Cook posted:

What is (((this))) thing you guys are doing? Is it a Games forum injoke or something?

Nazi Twitter code for Jewish.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The (((Jewish))) tags were widely disseminated by mainstream Twitter users both as a way to disrupt the code, reveal what this particular cesspool subgroup of Twitter was up to, and to stand in solidarity. A lot of non-Jewish people were willingly putting their own handles in the triple brackets as a kind of "I am Spartacus" move and general gently caress you to Nazi scum.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

oddium posted:

i don't have time to list them all but here are some things that aren't anime: empire strikes back, bob's burgers, a few good men

A Few Good Men? As if that's not just Phoenix Wright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The black eyes look fine until tears are added because then they look like dark cavities where eyes should be.

• Locked thread