Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Wheat Loaf posted:

I liked the Static Shock episode where he meets this forgotten 1970s superhero called Soul Power, who was an homage to blaxploitation characters. He was voiced by Brock Peters, looked (in the flashback scenes) like Jim Kelly, drove a Soulmobile and had a hideout called the Power Pad.

Also a slight adaptation, although in the Milestone books he was named "Buck Wild".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I dropped Black Panther after a few issues since it was *really* obvious Coates was still working out how to write comics. I could see where it could be good, but I couldn't get over that. Might have to pick up trades.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Roth posted:

Should probably read a bunch of Milestone comics for Black History Month.

Anything essential besides Static?

Rhyno posted:

Hardware is pretty fantastic.

The bonus is you get to see Humberto Ramos art before he went all anime/giant foot/goggle eyes.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
For Milestone stuff I remember Icon being pretty great from the random issues I managed to pick up.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ferrule posted:

The bonus is you get to see Humberto Ramos art before he went all anime/giant foot/goggle eyes.

Eh, not really a bonus.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Josie and the Pussycats is a better comic than our sad, fallen world deserves.

Josie and the Pussycats #4, now on sale, also contains: references to two classic plays, two classic musicals, and the Odyssey; winning a gun fight with a pun fight; surprisingly mature conversations about relationships and being an emotionally healthy adult about them; jewelry with phobias; more making fun of DC movies; and rocking out. You should be buying it.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Is this where someone comes in to mention that the Josie & The Pussycats movie is also good, because I'm willing to be that person.

I'm finally borrowing a friend's copy of Kyle Baker's Nat Turner, so I'm quite excited to read that.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

RandallODim posted:

Is this where someone comes in to mention that the Josie & The Pussycats movie is also good, because I'm willing to be that person.

I'm willing to be the person that backs you up, that movie rules.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Thirding that.

I think you've singlehandedly sold me a copy of that book based on those panels, though, so next time I hit the shop, I'll try that one out.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

RandallODim posted:

I'm finally borrowing a friend's copy of Kyle Baker's Nat Turner, so I'm quite excited to read that.

I didn't like the movie when it came out, most likely because I was a cynical idiot teen, but watching it 10 years later and I came around to how funny the movie actually is.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
My favorite detail about the Josie & The Pussycats movie is that they weren't paid to do any of the product placement.

It's great.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

CapnAndy posted:

Josie and the Pussycats #4, now on sale, also contains: references to two classic plays, two classic musicals, and the Odyssey; winning a gun fight with a pun fight; surprisingly mature conversations about relationships and being an emotionally healthy adult about them; jewelry with phobias; more making fun of DC movies; and rocking out. You should be buying it.

Okay i was gonna look into josie and your post says there's only four issues out as of now but i could've sworn that it had been running last year as well. Is there a previous volume or am i just nuts?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

site posted:

Okay i was gonna look into josie and your post says there's only four issues out as of now but i could've sworn that it had been running last year as well. Is there a previous volume or am i just nuts?
I mean, there's probably volumes going back to the 70s? They got a reboot along with the rest of the Archie books last year and the new version only has four issues out so far.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

I wouldn't recommend Black Panther to anyone. It starts off interesting but Coates does not know how to write a comic book. It's been going for a year and we're on part ten of the first story arc. There is a public uprising in Wakanda! Who is that magic lady? Read about historical Wakandan people who aren't really relevant to the story outside of how inspiring they are!

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Black Panther is more about philosophy and politics than it's about lasers and punching, but it's a drat good comic about philosophy and politics.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

It has some good scenes (Panthers talk with the old guy from the latest issue being one of them) but I find it unbearably wordy at times, and it feels like it's lost the thread of storytelling in favour of pontification.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

Scaramouche posted:

It has some good scenes (Panthers talk with the old guy from the latest issue being one of them) but I find it unbearably wordy at times, and it feels like it's lost the thread of storytelling in favour of pontification.

Personally, I'm fine with it because I happen to think it's really enjoyable pontification. But I can't deny that whatever actual plot is happening it's been an INCREDIBLY slow burn.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

KaosMachina posted:

Personally, I'm fine with it because I happen to think it's really enjoyable pontification. But I can't deny that whatever actual plot is happening it's been an INCREDIBLY slow burn.

Yeah, Black Panther is never my favorite book of the week, but it's up there.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

CapnAndy posted:

I mean, there's probably volumes going back to the 70s? They got a reboot along with the rest of the Archie books last year and the new version only has four issues out so far.

I finally realized what screwed me up, i was confusing jem and the holograms for josie

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

I was honestly shocked as hell to see the second issue mention meth

Teenage Fansub posted:

In the legal small print of each issue it says "No Rhino's allowed.'

edit: Tell him they misprinted and there's supposed to be a comma after the 'No.'

Yeah but that means that Rhyno is allowed, as he is 'Rhino' with a 'y'

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I go where I want.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It says no Rhynos, we're allowed to have one.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Feb 3, 2017

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

A somewhat ironic statement for Second Rhyno to post.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

A second Rhyno has hit the towers.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Ghostlight posted:

A somewhat ironic statement for Second Rhyno to post.

You really think I'm the second Rhyno!?!?!?

Awww. :blush:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I'm fairly sure that was a joke from like July's chat thread.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
My memory is awful, everything before like a week ago is a blurr. :shrug:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Same but bath salts

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

WickedHate posted:

My memory is awful, everything before like a week ago is a blurr. :shrug:

A Blurr shrug.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

This rules.
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/02/04/two-streets-luton-named-memory-steve-dillon/
A property developer and friend of Steve Dillon is getting two new streets in his home town named in honor of him.

Also this is where I learn he died from a blimmin' burst appendix :(

RhymesWithTendon
Oct 12, 2000

Skwirl posted:

Here's an embarrassing but relevant to the thread question. How's Ta-Nehisi Coates' Black Panther?
I dig it, but I like slow burns and deconstructive takes. This run really speaks to me because it's pretty critical of the things that T'Challa enables as a monarch, and ruminates a lot on themes like whether or not a monarchy can ever really be benevolent, as well as various anti-war themes and the moral ambiguity that comes with wartime allegiances. Brian Stelfreeze's art is great as well.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I’ve figured out that I can request basically any trade I want at my library and get it eventually.

So I’m requesting Batman and Son, volume 1 of Greg Rucka’s Wonder Woman, and the Sandman Omnibus Volume 1.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Interlibrary loan. It's a beautiful thing. If your library doesn't have a book you want (or an audio CD, or a DVD), they can almost always get it from a participating library that does, usually at no cost to you.

Library users, be aware that your public library system may also offer a free online subscription called Hoopla, which gives you access to a limited number of monthly downloads of audiobooks, music, movies, and COMICS. Go to your library website or https://www.hoopladigital.com to find out, and to register for your free account.

Mine limits us to four checkouts per month, but they have large and growing collections of titles from DC, Image, Dark Horse, IDW, Valiant, Dynamite, Archie, Top Shelf, and even Zenescope. No Marvel or Fantagraphics, but LOTS of good stuff in general. And they even offer a few good movies that aren't on Netflix or Amazon Prime -- that's how I finally saw The Long Goodbye, which I loved.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Feb 5, 2017

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm also requesting The New Frontier, volume one of Grant Morrison's Animal Man, volume one of Christopher Priest's Black Panther, and Nextwave. :buddy:

I wish I thought to do this before now.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
As someone who works in a library it is awesome to see goons use the library to take out graphic novels. The more times graphic novels get taken it the more times a library can justify ordering more titles. Also don't be afraid to request the library to buy a titles every now and again.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Madkal posted:

As someone who works in a library it is awesome to see goons use the library to take out graphic novels. The more times graphic novels get taken it the more times a library can justify ordering more titles. Also don't be afraid to request the library to buy a titles every now and again.

Me too. I'm a librarian, and even though I don't work in a public library, I take full advantage of my employer's interlibrary loan policy, and I'm constantly checking out graphic novels from my public library, recommending them titles (they bought all of Chew and Hip Hop Family Tree because of me), and using the aforementioned Hoopla to read even more.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Roth posted:

I'm also requesting The New Frontier, volume one of Grant Morrison's Animal Man, volume one of Christopher Priest's Black Panther, and Nextwave. :buddy:

I wish I thought to do this before now.

You should buy Nextwave.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Mr Hootington posted:

You should buy Nextwave.

Good advice in any context.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
Is Locke and Key the only book that can really go on a list of "If you liked Stranger Things, try this next"? Because I know it probably isn't, yet it's the only one that comes to mind immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

KaosMachina posted:

Is Locke and Key the only book that can really go on a list of "If you liked Stranger Things, try this next"? Because I know it probably isn't, yet it's the only one that comes to mind immediately.

It's funny you say that because while watching ST I thought that the makers would work wonders with a L&K series.

EDIT: OH MY GOD I FORGOT

One of my customers got a He-Man symbol tattoo but it looks like an Iron Cross instead and not in the good kind in the "this guy looks like a Nazi now" way.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Feb 6, 2017

• Locked thread