Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

KaosMachina posted:

Is Locke and Key the only book that can really go on a list of "If you liked Stranger Things, try this next"? Because I know it probably isn't, yet it's the only one that comes to mind immediately.

For the group of kids getting into trouble/solving mysteries angle, you could go Gotham Academy, Plutona, Paper Girls and 4 Kids Walk Into a Bank (that one without the supernatural part.)
Wytches has freaky stuff in the woods and a small family trying to save each other from horrors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Something in a similar style, but less horror orientated than ST, is Paper Girls.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Rhyno posted:

EDIT: OH MY GOD I FORGOT

One of my customers got a He-Man symbol tattoo but it looks like an Iron Cross instead and not in the good kind in the "this guy looks like a Nazi now" way.

I would wager that was something your customer deemed an acceptable risk when he got the tattoo.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Don't worry, iron crosses are out of style for the fashionable racist of today's world. If you see any frog tattoos, that's when you worry.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It doesn't even look like He-Man's chest emblem. And even Mattel knew it was a bad icon because in the 2002 reboot of the toyline there was an emergency running change from the original cross to a stylized H.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

He could tat the harness and muscles around it to make it clear. Assuming it's his bicep, giving it pecs and abs is would be pretty funny.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

He could tat the harness and muscles around it to make it clear. Assuming it's his bicep, giving it pecs and abs is would be pretty funny.

It's on his forearm. But I will suggest that!

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

He could just add He-Man's sword behind it or next to it or whatever.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Or go out and punch Richard Spencer to make his feelings clear!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Really, everyone should punch Richard Spencer at some point in their lives.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

He doesn't live too far from me, and there's groups organizing to have regular protests at his office, so it might actually happen!

Speaking of not-Nazi tattoos, I want a Mjolnir tattoo, but of course neo-Nazis appropriated that. Fuckers. Doesn't help that I also shave my head.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

There came a time when the Old Gods died, my friend. By which I mean that you should get a tattoo of Orion's astro-harness instead.

Also :krad: options: a Mother Box, Barda's mega-rod.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I've always been fascinated with tattoos. My dad has tons of them. I really wanna get at least one some time, but I gotta get it just right, you know? Right now I'm leaning towards the mark of the Doomslayer from the recent Doom reboot.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

He doesn't live too far from me, and there's groups organizing to have regular protests at his office, so it might actually happen!

Speaking of not-Nazi tattoos, I want a Mjolnir tattoo, but of course neo-Nazis appropriated that. Fuckers. Doesn't help that I also shave my head.

Get it but with the 'She be worthy' inscription.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

KaosMachina posted:

Is Locke and Key the only book that can really go on a list of "If you liked Stranger Things, try this next"? Because I know it probably isn't, yet it's the only one that comes to mind immediately.
You could tell them to read Nextwave.

Teenage Fansub posted:

For the group of kids getting into trouble/solving mysteries angle, you could go Gotham Academy, Plutona, Paper Girls and 4 Kids Walk Into a Bank (that one without the supernatural part.)
Wytches has freaky stuff in the woods and a small family trying to save each other from horrors.
Not seeing NEXTWAVE on that list, weird.

Madkal posted:

Something in a similar style, but less horror orientated than ST, is Paper Girls.
lol u got a funny way of spellin NEXTWAVE

Rhyno posted:

One of my customers got a He-Man symbol tattoo but it looks like an Iron Cross instead and not in the good kind in the "this guy looks like a Nazi now" way.
If only some brave soul had told this assfuck to get a goddamn motherfuckin' NEXTWAVE tattoo none of this Nazi stuff ever would have Nextwaved. NEXTWAVE!

Also I mean if you're a real piece of poo poo and reading things other than Nextwave after Nextwaving Stranger Things, it may depend on what they really like about Stranger Things, like is it the supernatural stuff or the 1980s vibe or the heavy Stephen King pastiche and like is this someone who has already read/watched all of the stuff Stranger Things is riffing on and if they have then yeah, I guess it's finding other retro Stephen King pastiches to read?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Super 8 is probably a lot like Stranger Things, right? I haven't watched either of them. I feel like culture is oversaturated with 80s nostalgia so it's a real big turn off for me.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Squizzle posted:

There came a time when the Old Gods died, my friend. By which I mean that you should get a tattoo of Orion's astro-harness instead.

Also :krad: options: a Mother Box, Barda's mega-rod.
None of those are particularly interesting looking, unfortunately, though Kirby art does lend itself well to tattooing.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Get yourself inked from head to toe in explosive, kracklin' dots.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Squizzle posted:

Get yourself inked from head to toe in explosive, kracklin' dots.

I had planned to get a small kirby krakkle tat at some point but then I got old and the idea lost it's appeal. Instead I will get a Nextwave tattoo.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, a Nextwave tattoo is probably the best option here.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah, a Nextwave tattoo is probably the best option here.

Maybe I can get a sound chip implanted under it and when you press it this will play

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xuosmf1_mKs

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Endless Mike posted:

Just get comic book Mjolnir instead of traditional Mjolnir.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Rhyno posted:

It doesn't even look like He-Man's chest emblem. And even Mattel knew it was a bad icon because in the 2002 reboot of the toyline there was an emergency running change from the original cross to a stylized H.

On Eternia it stands for Hope.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Gavok posted:

If I ever go to prison I'll get a Superman tattoo and say it's S for swastika.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

WickedHate posted:

If I ever go to prison I'll get a Superman tattoo and say it's S for swastika.
No, in prison, it stands for "spread of hepatitis"

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Gavok posted:

This post is an argument in favor of reddit style up votes, if anyone was wondering

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

purple death ray posted:

This post is an argument in favor of reddit style up votes, if anyone was wondering
le +1 my man

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
I got this sweet tat when I was stabbed with a pencil in high school.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Did you mean to post a ginormous out of focus image of, as far as i can tell, absolutely nothing

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Mr Hootington posted:

I got this sweet tat when I was stabbed with a pencil in high school.

But...my mom has a mark like that from when SHE was stabbed with a pencil!

No...it can't be true! It's not possible!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Love me some white meat.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
My one and only tattoo is sports related in a way.
I keep seeing other people's tattoos and thinking they look cool but if I got something similar it would just be copying. Also I know a few people who got tattoos based on their childhood likes (a friend has a really cool Calvin and Hobbs tattoo for instance) but I don't want to do that because I really don't want a Garfield tattoo. If anything a Toth style Batman tattoo would be up my ally.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The main reason I don't have any tats is that most people I know who get one inevitably get more and look like deflated Drax by their 50s.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

purple death ray posted:

Wrong thread but seconded!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

WickedHate posted:

Super 8 is probably a lot like Stranger Things, right? I haven't watched either of them. I feel like culture is oversaturated with 80s nostalgia so it's a real big turn off for me.

It's similar. The monster story is pretty uninteresting, but I remember liking the group of kids.
It felt pretty fresh getting an Amblin movie at the time.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Right up to the end, when it turns into a pretty straightforward action/monster movie, Super 8 is right up that alley. I thought it was a good movie that could have been great with a little work on the third act.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I recently got a very tiny tattoo to remember my friend who recently died. Nothing flashy, just a reminder.

Let's talk about some irritating poo poo.

http://comicsalliance.com/image-womens-history-month-planned-parenthood/

Image is doing special PP variants in March. We're already getting calls asking if we will be carrying these from both sides of the issue and it is driving me up the loving wall. We finally settled on them being special order only which also sucks because today was the final order cutoff for the first week's worth so we're gonna have plenty of irritated people over this. But we just don't want to deal with the bullshit on this as one caller said her organization would protest at our store.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

It's quite amazing that you live in this little Wonderland where people actually give a gently caress about comics even a little bit. I guarantee you 99% of other shops will never hear anything about that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

I recently got a very tiny tattoo to remember my friend who recently died. Nothing flashy, just a reminder.

Let's talk about some irritating poo poo.

http://comicsalliance.com/image-womens-history-month-planned-parenthood/

Image is doing special PP variants in March. We're already getting calls asking if we will be carrying these from both sides of the issue and it is driving me up the loving wall. We finally settled on them being special order only which also sucks because today was the final order cutoff for the first week's worth so we're gonna have plenty of irritated people over this. But we just don't want to deal with the bullshit on this as one caller said her organization would protest at our store.

At most it'd be one dude with a disgusting poster of an aborted fetus, but I do understand why you wouldn't want even one of those assholes showing up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

It's quite amazing that you live in this little Wonderland where people actually give a gently caress about comics even a little bit. I guarantee you 99% of other shops will never hear anything about that.

Indiana man. The answer is always Indiana.

• Locked thread