Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Skypie posted:

Out of curiosity, did anyone happen to test out Orcs Must Die!? I saw it like half an hour before the hall closed on Friday and the guys were busy with demos, but I never made it back on Saturday. I'm a sucker for the video game and was wondering how it'd actually play out.

The demo I ran was pretty poorly handled but I got to play a good couple rounds of it and experience a good chunk of how it works.

You build a map from a big book of maps that includes like 4 or 5 difficulty levels. These maps are made up of tiles for rooms, with arrows on them that show you the flow of the bads. Some of the rooms have special abilities (like one let you put down an extra trap, one let you put a trap down for free, one lets you spend an action to injure a monster. You start the game by building an army deck that you flip every round to put more minions into play. You have a pool of items and traps you can buy with Skulls that you get from killing monsters. At first its pretty easy, you can kill most enemies yourself but after 3 rounds, the game "levels up", more expensive equipment and traps start coming into the pool, larger armies and often multiple fronts begin opening up with their own Monster Decks.

Damage is done by trying to match certain symbols to certain monsters - Kobolds need a Speed symbol to hit, Orcs a Sword, Mages a Brain, etc. Some traps are better at this than others. All the characters are weak against one or two of these elements and can only be hurt by them. There's some other stuff about special powers, leveling up the thing you're protecting, etc. It seems like it'll work really well solo if that's your bag.

Mechanically, it feels pretty solid, the opening couple of rounds are a slow ramp up which lulls you into a false sense of security as the early rounds tick on, only to kick you with a ramp up as soon as the next level comes. Its easy to get overwhelmed and each player has a kind of complimentary power that supports the team in some way.

Right now it feels a little low quality, components-wise. The character tile things are pretty low budget. The minis were pretty good though, at least the player ones. It sounds like they're releasing two editions, one with Bad Guys and one with Good Guys as the protagonists and you need both if you want to do PVP? I thought that was pretty weird but our demo person was kinda lovely at explaining it.

*shakes fist* nooooormiiiieeeessss

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

SirPhoebos posted:

For the second game, I made some modifications to what handouts were handed out, and it produced the effect I wanted. While it took longer for troubleshooter-on-troubleshooter violence to get started, when it did it felt much more earned and chaotic. However, despite having a smaller group, the second game only got half-way through the dungeon by the time we hit the four-hour mark. So no one was sad when I just said "okay, Sealab-I mean Alpha Complex just blows up" so we could all hang out with goons pretending to be the Trump Administration get some sleep.

It's always a risk when doing con games that you run out of time, but my pro tip for that would be to first keep an eye on the clock as you run stuff, after every "chunk" of your adventure, then secondly I recommend trying to structure your adventures so that its easy to swap stuff around and bring your narrative ending closer to hand. So for example, in my game, the Infernal Bone Machine, its separated into roughly 5 areas, but any one of them could trigger the End Game if I needed to. That's also including 2 separate areas that players may not even ever see (Theres a bit at the end where players have to contain a big ball of magic, and the adventure as written has them then go INTO the ball and fight the big bad in there, but no on ever did that, we just wrapped at the ball).

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Its pretty easy, when the event registration opens up, go to the GM/EO Dashboard and click "Submit event". Fill out the form, then wait for it to be approved

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Reject the false groupme, uphold the true groupme

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

How dare you

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Double Agent posted:

Shot Wednesday is kind of its own monster at this point. Short of the con not happening, it's going to be a thing.

I am fairly confident that if the con didn't happen Shot Wednesday would still occur

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

There is so much to do at GenCon that I honestly tell people signing up for events is a waste of time.

1) Go to any event that looks interesting and see if they'll let you in with Generics, they probably will
2) Message Goons and ask if anyone wants to play [X]. They will.
3) Eat. Good food everywhere (less good now that a bunch of great places closed :( )
4) Cardhalla
5) The dealers area isn't just an area, its like, enormous. You could spend a day in there, you probably will
6) The Hot Games Room, GM on Demand and Board Game Library all are three big rooms full of games that you spend some generics getting in and you can play a bunch of poo poo all day long

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

My group looks at me like some kind of powerful nerd god since I can seemingly summon a horde of players for any game anyone cares to name at the drop of a hat. A couple of years ago we were walking back to the con hall and someone in the group said "You know, I wish I had a chance to play Fiasco, I've always wanted to try it" and before they finished the sentence we had a game organized and we were burning buildings down with gutter-weed in like 20 minutes. Groupme is great

• Locked thread