Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

LLSix posted:

What are the True Dungeon Events like? I'm tempted to give one a try, but $62 a ticket is too much to spend blind.

I thought the puzzles were alright, though some of the physical related ones are pretty difficult, but the combat itself was trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

I'm signed up for Bears? too, it sounds fun!

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

If something is in My Schedule, does that mean I got a ticket for it? I had a bunch of stuff show up as unavailable when my Wishlist processed, but they still show up in My Schedule

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Didn't get into the Trail of Cthullu game in the morning, but otherwise got everything I wanted:

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Deviant posted:

When do you drink?

Post having kids, I only really have time to attend Saturdays, so I gotta cram as much in as I can. Thankfully my parents who live outside of Indy watch my son for the day and run a whiskey distillery as well, so my babysitting and drinking needs are filled in a one stop shop.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Assuming things haven't improved since I did it, I would advise against doing Artemis. My friends had done it for a couple of years and spoke very highly of it, and I was able to join them two years ago, but the set up was atrocious. It sounded like a lot of behind the scenes drama had resulted in things taking a nose dive from previous years. What had been a bridge set up with various stations and interesting missions for an immersive experience was replaced plain folding tables with broken inaccurate equipment that made it impossible to control and a poorly implemented Kobiyashi Maru knock off that ended very quickly. They apologized for their issues but it was small comfort for all the money we had just wasted. Our set up at home playing with each other on our laptops was far superior and didn't cost hundreds of dollars. It's possible they've fixed all these issues but I personally wouldn't want to gamble on it.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Agrias120 posted:

Thanks for the opinions on the bridge simulations! It sounds like they are something to skip, but I do have one final question--everyone was mentioning opinions on Artemis, but it looked like there were two other bridge simulation systems in the events catalogue. Is that just my misunderstanding and they're all actually based off Artemis? Or is Artemis the only one to definitely avoid?

I only have personal experience with Artemis: lots of fun to play at home with friends, bad experience at GenCon.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

My go-to "I don't have anything to fill this time slot" activity is the Playtesting Hall. They pretty much always need more people and I find it interesting to workshop games with creators and help make their games better.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Can anyone direct me to where I might sell this? Pulled it last time we did True Dungeon but don't intend to really ever play it again.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

It's a fairly lovely (IMO) shuffleboard combat game tacked onto an escape room.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

djfooboo posted:

My honest opinion is the same.

To be fair, I liked the escape room portions of it (though some of the physical challenges seemed insanely difficulty for a bunch of uncoordinated people, and some answers to the puzzle rooms were so nonsensical as to be impossible), but the combat was just terrible and led to party members dying and having to sit out of the rest of the game.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Saturday Badges are sold out, folks. Hope you got your tickets while you could!

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Rathskeller food is amazing, unless there has been some sort of drop off in quality in recent years. My family would go there for special occasions quite often, a really cool place.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Thanks for the Haveli recommendation, goons, my wife and I stopped by for dinner last night and had a really good time/meal.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

On the flip side, I had 14 hours worth of events on Saturday, so I'm not quite sure how you couldn't find enough stuff to fill your interest if official convention events is what you were looking for.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

fordan posted:

:stare:

Tournaments or RPG?

9 different events, nothing longer than two hours. All new board games/RPGs I'd never played before!

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Fellis posted:

Sorry your first gencon was bad LLsix, but it is really strange to be bored at gencon. Are you talking about the just the dealer area closing early and opening late? It's only 10am-6pm yeah, but dealers/volunteers have lives also (or more likely other promotional events to run).

To expound on this, my first event started at 8 AM and my last one ended at 11 PM. People were already playing games by the time I arrived and were still going strong as I left. Now, I only went one day, instead of all four, so I could go balls to the wall without having to worry about my long term stamina, but I had tertiary and quaternary options at least for each time slot that I had to skip because I just didn't have enough time to cram everything in. I just can't fathom not finding enough to do at GenCon.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

SirPhoebos posted:

This was my second full GenCon. Two things I'd do different next time is space out my events better, and actually make sure I know what my events are before committing to them (where's my breakfast Hickman? :( )

Haha, I had this problem my first year, I was so hungry during my next couple of events until I had a break to go grab some food.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

My favorite moment of the con was nearly having an aneurysm trying to convince the table that the same player had gotten the Hitler role three times in a row in Secret Hitler, acquiescing and shooting someone else, then being proved correctly in the end and basically spitting over everything and flipping a chair as I stood up at the end of the game and shouting as the top of my lungs "He was loving Hitler!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

There is also the Playtest Hall for developers who are always looking for test subjects to try out their in-progress games on

• Locked thread