Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

LuiCypher posted:

Speaking of GroupMe and plans, since LotR Trivia is NO MORE at the Colts Grille on Wednesday, where will enterprising goons decide to meet on Wednesday night?

Don't make me bear the bad news again about if it had its day moved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
Yeah especially frustrating this year. No one i went with got any earlier than 330 EST and everything with 6 miles was gone by then. Now there is literally 0 availability which is crazy

Fuckin' a. I got 3 mouths to house

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

LuiCypher posted:

The Random Number God gives and takes. Next year you'll wind up with 12:01am.

Edit:
I should probably make a brief guide to GenCon housing, especially if they're going to continue with the system next year.

1: Buy Badge
2: Pray

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

LLSix posted:

Any idea when/where the events list might be posted? This'll be my first year and I have only the vaguest idea of what to expect.

It gets posted on the gen con site, usually about a week or two prior to opening registration for them

e. i think anyway

I don't pay close attention to events since i go to so few of them

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

If this ever happened at a table I'd just straight walk away, no words, no comment, just out. I don't have time to get murdered by The Puppet Master when I'm trying to play pretend here

Little do you know you were the puppet the entire time

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

What is "Gen Con Presents"? Every event I submitted has been changed to add this to them and the same thing happened last year but nothing comes up when I search.

Branding

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
http://www.gencon.com/forums/9-event-organizers-gms/topics/1071-premier-event-groups-for-2016

better? Appears to be a focus term for gen con on non-premier listings

So they're saying you aren't backed by a larger group.

Sloober fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Apr 28, 2017

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

nesbit37 posted:

Alright, goons, which one of you made this event a necessity?

This kind of thing is standard convention faire almost everywhere

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Dr. Quarex posted:

This conversation loop is nearly closed, but nobody has yet mentioned that the Will Call lines on Wednesday are always pretty short, in addition to being short late at night of course.

On one hand, I used to love having my badge shipped to me; on the other, that is not an option once you are a volunteer anyway, and they make Will Call more enjoyable every year, so I am content with picking everything up now.

Plus I seem to move annually which keeps me never knowing where I will be living in July :smith:

Yeah will call isn't really bad. Line can get real long, but it tends to blaze through real fast. Longest i've waited was probably ~25m or so, which is a line like going way past the corner of the convention hall wall

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

nesbit37 posted:

Oh god, the bathrooms are some of the worst things I have experienced in my life. I don't know how all the toilet paper is gone by 8am every day but it just is and replaced with a combination of the spells grease and stinking cloud.

edit: Bathrooms are the underrated luxury of having a downtown hotel room. You have no choice of where to go when your hotel is 10 miles away!

There's a couple reliably not-used ones, but you must discover them on your own

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
I got a suite at the hilton so i'm closer than normal. It does mean that i may not want to scout out that one bar that hosed up on us last year tho

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I'm highly envious of those of you who have someone in your team willing to sell their immortal souls for good hotel rooms

my gencon squad this year all asked me to submit their events for them :(

I'm just flush with cash because for real suites are easy to get and even now you could probably get one a block away, they're pricey which scares off people.

I just view this as my one great vacation per year so i'm willing to spend.

saint gerald posted:

My crew regularly opts for the Hilton over connected rooms/the JW. They like the rooms better, I guess. :shrug:

Looking forward to unknowingly sitting like right across from you at a table at the weber again

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Haystack posted:

The big exception being if you want to get something signed.

I'm thrilled my copy of space alert has a nearly illegible Vlaada signature

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Fellis posted:

a roller suitcase, the bigger the better. A backpack could hurt your back and shoulders don't loving do this

Backpacks are fine. If your hotel/car is close, consider budgeting time to run back and drop poo poo off or do all your shopping another day.

roller suitcase users deserve death by being bludgeoned w/ a bag of dice

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Either that or the boffer weapons without the padding on them.

It would be painful so yes.

For real i lust for roller suitcase user death at gen con

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
B̷̷͍͖̣̠̮̞̤͓͙͙̗̦̥̀͡ͅȨ̞̹̫̣́͡͞Ẁ̵̰̖͖͉̠͓̠̜͓̲́Á̲̣͕͓͘͡Ŗ̢̣͍̖̜̬̳̖͚́͟E̕͞͏̴̪̥̮̺̖͇̠̝̹̭̟͖͕̼̱ͅͅ,̢̣̘̭͕͎̤̞̩͕̺̝̘̬̭͜͝ ̧͕̬̜̱̹̬̰T̶̡̛̛̲̣͚͉̣̹̤̫͢O͔̳̺̗̰̯̘̦̝̩̭͢͜ͅḾ̢͚͚̝̭̮̠̫̮ ̷̸͕͈̫̥̼̮́V̵҉̷̖̣̺͚͈͕͔̻̙͕̬͓̲̱̠͟͜ͅÁ̴̴̛̘̻͙͙̖͖̱̠̘̲̦̱̠͈̼͍S̢̧̭̣̬͉͈͚̠̳̤̼͈̤̘̳͉͓̲͝͝ͅͅE̡̢͓̞̝͔ͅL̶͝͏̸̺̣͇͍͉̗̲̟̺ ҉̴̳̬̥̩Ć̵̡̠͕͉Ǫ͍̬̮̫̩͉̙̫̳̺̲͈̖̙̩͓̫̤͘M̸̴͟҉̫̬̳̗͖̬̟͉̯͍̦̫͖͔̩ͅͅḘ͇̩̩̦̟̤͕̠́͢͝ͅS̴̡͍̝̤͍̙͇͖̖͇͖͝͠!̵̵̧̩͖̦͓͓̬͙̬̦͔̹̰̜̼͖̭̲͍̙͠

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Dr. Quarex posted:

I did eventually figure out where it is from another page. Clearly Mudcrab Merchant will be there! Yeah probably not.

I had never heard of Dice Tower until last week when I finally decided I was ready to look for Gen-Con YouTube videos (knowing I might be reminded that 2016 existed). I was confused to hear such a thick Québécois accent, but otherwise I did enjoy their videos. Are they a big deal?

They're popular but are also well known in the SA circle as having really bad, nearly unforgivable opinions about things, in addition to dubious game reviews that cite fun as a reason to like something rather than a mechanics based analysis.

I'll never forget the complaint that Dungeon Lords had a knock against it because the game name made them think it was a dungeon crawler, when it isn't

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Dr. Quarex posted:

I am looking for anything good, but in the meantime here is a 2017 Beginner's Guide to Gen-Con courtesy of BoardGameGeek:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1799212/2017-gen-con-beginnerssurvivors-guide

And a Kia Sportage advertisement that, for some reason, talks about Gen-Con at first:
https://www.justshortofcrazy.com/attend-best-4-days-gaming/

Really wierd

Brought to you by Carl's Jr

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

fordan posted:

Fun is unacceptable to goons, as witnessed by the title of the board games thread.

Look here pal we don't play games to have fun, we play them to be nerds. This is what you just do.

If you know a better way to be nerds, i'd like to hear it.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

enigmahfc posted:

It's because the term 'fun' is so subjective that it ends up meaning nothing and is a terrible way of describing something. It's better to say why something is fun so that other people can know where your coming from. If you can't say why you find something fun, then you shouldn't be reviewing games.

:thejoke:

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Slandible posted:

Now it's correct.

I will break my friendships regardless of winning or losing because if i lose it's due to you being a filthy cheating bastard

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

nesbit37 posted:

I don't know why but I am having a paranoid moment about housing. Does anyone knows what happens if they try to charge your credit card on august 1 for the 1 night room deposit and the card is declined? For some reason I keep freaking out that is going to happen (there is no reason it should) and that they will just cancel the reservation if that happens.

i had to deal with it last year regarding a card expiration date, they just called us and told us it, they don't just cancel it.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

CellBlock posted:

I'm having a hard time getting hyped because my group still hasn't gotten our hotel rooms figured out. Also, work is really busy right now, so I haven't really had the chance to think about all the stuff I'm going to do at Gen Con. (I also didn't get any event tickets at all on Saturday, but that's not really a big problem; I can browse the catalog or just do some games on demand or something.)

I do have a session of CrossTalk early on Thursday, so if it's as good as Codenames, I'll see if I can buy it and it can be our late night party game.

If you're willing to spend for it there is likely still suites available downtown

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

i know that bathroom anywhere

thats the gross one dont go in there

This is most of them

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Dr. Quarex posted:

Well how about that. I figured 75,000 would be the limit. Also god drat. And ugh. Well on the plus side it may well not sell out again until another notable anniversary event...unless, you know, those extra 15,000 people have an amazing time and want to come back, but what are the odds of that? Oh...100%. Right. Crap. Suddenly I am even more interested in staying a volunteer.

Maybe. We are in uncharted territory here. Just hope nobody comes through checking badges. I have only seen it once, but I also have only been playing in a tabletop game that crossed the Midnight border once, but a dude definitely wandered into our gaming room and checked everyone's badges. Made extra-delightful by the fact that our GM did not have a badge as it was a huge multi-table game and he had just popped over to help run the game or something and suddenly we had no GM. But having no badge is a touch harder to talk your way out of than being in a game that started on a day you did have one.

Maybe the fact that there is no such thing as a Wednesday badge but there are events then could be illustrative for your situation though? Hard to say.

So wait, you do have badges already? You worry me with talking about how you "plan" to come up for the weekend.

Edit: I was losing my mind reading this post on the Awful App trying to figure out why it would not show me the rest of the page no matter how many times I reloaded. Eventually I angrily went back a page and set the last post as "last read" and proudly nodded at the sage wisdom of my fix until I then looked again later :shobon:

I saw the badge checker once and there was something that kicked it off which escapes my memory

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
My true dungeon story is the people i knew that did it were absolutely insufferable and annoying as poo poo and i'm glad i will never deal with them ever again

welp that's my story about true dungeon

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

lmao just lmao if you waste your nacho time at HV and not at old point

Psh, real pros consume the convention center "Nachos"

Bottom Liner posted:

I'll be setting up goon games every day Wed-Sun. I'm bringing the following games:

A Feast for Odin
Scythe
Tak
Arcadia Quest
Battlecon
Arkham LCG
Keyflower

and a bunch of small games, plus whatever I find there (mostly looking for out of print stuff like Dominant Species).

I'm planning on tossing AFFO & Terra Mystica in my trunk this time, maybe archipelago

Dr. Quarex posted:

Yeah I do not remember if the first year in Indianapolis was like that, as I shamefully only went for the weekend and barely spent any time in the surrounding area, but by the second year I know we were already starting to notice nearby businesses picking up on things--a far cry from our treatment in Milwaukee, at least by the last few years once I started going.

There are only two important nerdy events I experienced first-hand that I feel are not exaggerated much at all in the telling of how big a change it was: One of them was how much disdain many Milwaukee businesses/retail people had for Gen-Con attendees compared to Indianapolis' relentlessly sunny and welcoming nature, and the other was what happened to Usenet when America Online was allowed to access it. Kind of like the Milwaukee to Indianapolis change, but in reverse!

If someone has trouble with crowds then yeah, fair enough, it might be increasingly hard to be at Gen-Con, but yeah, the positivity is not limited to the locals, but also the attendees. Even cynical bastards like me and most of my friends have a hard time not just going with the infectious happiness pervading so much of the convention.

And that said--I agree with you, of the incredibly few not-good experiences I have had at Gen-Con, most of them are related to the people running random tabletop games in far-flung rooms of outside hotels. I will never forget either the gamemaster at the next table who was so loud that we could not hear our own gamemaster, or the gamemaster at our own table who was so quiet that we could not really hear even if there was virtually no other noise in the room. And if that is as bad as it gets...

All the rest bad memories are about Claddagh. Screw you, Claddagh; running a limited menu of "nothing you would actually want from an Irish restaurant" during the convention and giving us wobbly stools to sit on is not a good method for attracting repeat customers :mad: though I suppose if I went on the Monday before things started and demanded a booth seat it might be salvageable.

Milwaukee is bad, yeah def (i live there, so it is even worse). There's people that go to Indy gen con and still think milwaukee is better/can handle it (Milwaukee locals, no less)

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Dr. Quarex posted:

(I still remember the angry glares we got from the mall food court workers in Milwaukee when walking in in costume. I basically stopped cosplaying by the time it exploded in popularity. Ugh no I am not claiming cosplay hipster cred I am actually lamenting this fact and thinking all those judgmental gazes of the past are ... look just leave me alone)

The best part is that the grand avenue mall has gone no where but downwards the past 15 years and half of it is empty, there's maybe like 5 food places in there now still in business.

They're 'overhauling' it but that means nothing with how awful Milwaukee is as a convention city

Sloober fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jul 20, 2017

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Funzo posted:

To be fair to Milwaukee, gaming was nowhere near the mainstream hobby it is now. At the time, it was still very niche. The convention organizers themselves could have done a much better job to promote the con to local businesses though.
Had it not been in my hometown though I never would have been able to go when I was in High-School.

This is true but looking at an influx of people for a con so openly hostile seems like bad business. Indy is cool since businesses are capitalizing on it so openly

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Dr. Quarex posted:

Well there is one place it is never crowded...on the other side of the Auction tables ;) Actually it can get crowded there too but yeah. I feel you; the Auction was always something to enjoy on its own merits while also relaxing for many years when I went to it, but beginning in the mid-2010s(!) it became more likely that there would not be enough space to casually stretch out and examine your goods while also taking in the bids. Still often fairly empty though.

Also the 2017 edition of "a New York Times bestselling author's Gen-Con tips" is up? Who is this guy? I CANNOT POSSIBLY GOOG AND FIND OUT

No tip about bring wheelie suitcases. 0/10 would not recommend.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Lump Shaker posted:

How is the paid game library? If you have a couple solo hours to kill is there a better option for finding pickup games with strangers?

Library is huge, but space is limited for gen con size event. Goons probably just as good so yeah get the groupme

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

LLSix posted:

I'm planning on bringing stuff to make jamon sandwiches so I can spend more time doing anything but wandering around looking for food. Any suggestions on what else would make for good con' snacks or meals?

To keep your energy up i recommend a 10lb bag of pure sugar

(my go to is usually a couple boxes of protein bars, but i usually go out for full on meals since food tourism is a part of the experience for me)

Sloober fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Aug 11, 2017

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

If you aren't making time to eat cool food during the con i'm sorry but you're having BadWrongFun

:bisonyes:

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

djfooboo posted:

Rathskeller's kitchen has either gone downhill (likely) or Indy's food scene has just outshined it so much these days (also likely).

But the atmosphere and history makes it a worthwhile haunt. Drink beer, eat spicy pretzels, listen to live polka music.

I'm gonna need more convincing, i can do this real easily in WI

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

nesbit37 posted:

From hot box pizza, for anyone who wants to poo poo gold and make the toilets sparkle.

As long as you wash it down with goldschlager

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

djfooboo posted:

What if I told you Haveli isn't even the best Indian restaurant in town? :aaaaa: The real ethnic places exist in the west suburbs. There is a restaurant that is so Indian people throw shitt paper in a wastebin, not flush it. I kid you not.

Really sellin it right there

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
i pretty much did nothing but board game w/ goony folks. Got to bust out deception a few times, argent a couple of times, and did a bunch of other games other dudes brought. I actually bought 0 things in the exhibit hall, mostly from FFG having a long rear end line all the time and lines being the spawn of satan, and i am also that dude that says to himself,'i can get it cheaper online'. I did add a variety of games to my 'possibly buy' list, but at this point i don't know how often i will buy, i already have too many games i don't get to the table enough.

Sloober fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Aug 21, 2017

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

LLSix posted:

Just got back from my first Gen Con and I'm feeling distinctly underwhelmed. I had a hard time finding enough activities to stay busy. It felt like the whole place closed down much earlier than other cons and opened back up later in the morning. We were planning on staying the night this Sunday too, but when it came to it, neither of us could think of a reason to so we headed out when things started closing down at 4.

If I ever go back, I definitely won't be doing anyone's quests. Spent a lot of time helping my wife collect ribbons for Mayfair's 10-ribbons-to-get-a-discount thing. It felt a lot more like an attempt to keep people away from the rest of the con than to encourage me to try their games by the time we got the last ones.

The best part of the con for me was visiting the smaller game makers and smaller booths and getting to try out games that I otherwise would never have seen a review for or known to go looking for. We even learned that my wife likes head-to-head games by stumbling into the Hero Realms part of the vendor hall.

We did stop by the auction room for a little under an hour. Didn't see anything we wanted, but the auctioneers were pretty entertaining.

What was your expectation going into it?

I fuckin loved it and i almost exclusively lived in jw ballroom 5 after friday. Play games, see someone playing something interesting? Watch a bit, see if you can join. People are very open to just playing poo poo, even with 'strangers'

Also groupme. I played a ton of poo poo with goons

Sloober fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Aug 21, 2017

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Atomicated posted:

I can't believe those munchkin tournament shirts are actually legal. When it came up at the auction I thought it had to be a joke nobody took seriously.

Just wanted to thank everyone for helping making my first Gencon a blast. I had a real fear going in that I'd be too antisocial to let myself have a good time but everyone was great about roping me into conversations and games. My biggest regret is leaving too early basically every day of the con. Even the night I stayed until 1:30 I wish I had stayed another couple hours.

Munchkin's rules literally have an exception for the game owner to makeup whatever rules they want, and that you can freely cheat if you can get away with it.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Toshimo posted:

My hotel from this year is already sold out for next year. :commissar:

they don't usually let you book in advance anymore, so it might just be listed 'unavailable'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Deviant posted:

Counterpoint: Tom Vasel is a homophobic dickweasel and can choke on his own vomit.

Harsh, but fair and accurate

• Locked thread