Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I'll be setting up goon games every day Wed-Sun. I'm bringing the following games:

A Feast for Odin
Scythe
Tak
Arcadia Quest
Battlecon
Arkham LCG
Keyflower

and a bunch of small games, plus whatever I find there (mostly looking for out of print stuff like Dominant Species).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anti-Bunny
Mar 14, 2007
word

That Old Tree posted:

Don't forget, there will also be pickup games everywhere, and Games on Demand.

We had a lot of trouble getting into games in GoD last year, because there weren't enough GMs and we had a somewhat large group (4). Just my wife and I this year, and I think we might try to do some Two Rooms & A Boom, but otherwise do you have other recommendations for getting into pickups at gencon (aside from the board game library)?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Saturday Badges are sold out, folks. Hope you got your tickets while you could!

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

I don't know what games to bring this year. Besides Avalon ofc.

Last year was Scythe.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

I'll be setting up goon games every day Wed-Sun. I'm bringing the following games:

A Feast for Odin
Scythe
Tak
Arcadia Quest
Battlecon
Arkham LCG
Keyflower

and a bunch of small games, plus whatever I find there (mostly looking for out of print stuff like Dominant Species).

Is this a thing you just setup wherever you can find room?

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Admiral Joeslop posted:

That's pretty much how we operate as a goon collective.

get in GroupMe get in GroupMe get in GroupMe get in GroupMe get in GroupMe get in GroupMe get in GroupMe get in GroupMe get in GroupMe get in GroupMe get in GroupMe get in GroupMe

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I just bought Great Western Trail, Yokohama and Orleans to bring with me. Hopefully I can lear them in a month. I'm probably bringing a bunch of small games too.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Yeah, plenty of room in the gaming hall.

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015
Arkham LCG players : how is that thing? We're thinking about buying it and doing Gencon games of it as a group activity - last year was scythe (which drunk people got very salty at) and some dwarven drinking game.

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost
Never forget: Bottom Liner <-> Carteret Keyflower rematch. Only one man leave.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Yeah anyone here not using GroupMe...seriously. It is easy if you have a smart phone (or even if not, though rough as an SMS-based experience) and it is full of AMAZING GOON GOOD TIMES

I will re-quote Lawen's foundational post from like uh the 2014 thread or something
Though interesting, he made a new GroupMe that year. What happened to the 2013 GroupMe?!?!

darkspider42
Oct 7, 2004

Best Buy security. You'll have to come with me sir.
Anyone have hotel room/floor space available? Trying to figure out if ChiliMac and I should book a hotel room and find 2 more souls or if there are any goons with open slots.

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.

Ego Trip posted:

I don't know what games to bring this year. Besides Avalon ofc.

Last year was Scythe.

Just remember to bring Fiasco. Because Goon Fiasco is always a highlight of the con.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
More Gen Con videos from last year to get you excited (not like you need it)

Day 0 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuLCIckUjiY

Day 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ej2MJMLILU

Day 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NBrrKKYMXs

Day 3 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaoKTzE1-QI

Day 4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VV01BbfHWkk

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

Not going this year but I am surprised that badges are selling out. Is that a first time? Did they finally put caps on the #?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
First time selling out. I suspect there was always a cap, it just wasn't an issue until this year. I mean, at the bare minimum there had to be some sort of cap for fire code.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

If we're posting videos, here's my recap from last year
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mU003_nwA_o

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I am ALMOST ready to acknowledge that a convention occurred last year. I think by the time I arrive in Indianapolis I will perhaps be willing to say "I ..... I HOPE IT WAS FUN"

Mr.Trifecta posted:

Not going this year but I am surprised that badges are selling out. Is that a first time? Did they finally put caps on the #?
The most surprising thing about them selling out was that there had never once even been a mention of the concept of selling out...though, of course, conspicuously in hindsight, they also never once bragged about how you should go to Gen-Con instead of [ComiCon/PAX/What Have You] specifically because you could always get a badge. A missed opportunity that clearly indicated they saw a future where a sellout could actually happen...though admittedly in 2010 if you had told me attendance would nearly triple from the 2000s average I would not have believed you.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah, plenty of room in the gaming hall.

Until they come and claim your table for a scheduled event after you spent an hour setting up Scythe and trying to figure out how to play. But that never happens.

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015
We always steal tables in the hotels for gaming - almost always space for two groups of six.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

We'll always have High Velocity.

:allears:

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Bottom Liner posted:

A Feast for Odin
Scythe
Tak
Arcadia Quest
Battlecon
Arkham LCG
Keyflower

I'd really like to try out Scythe and AFfO. Odin scares me a bit because I haven't played many heavy Euros so as long as you can be patient with someone new to that type of game I would like to give it a whirl.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rad Valtar posted:

I'd really like to try out Scythe and AFfO. Odin scares me a bit because I haven't played many heavy Euros so as long as you can be patient with someone new to that type of game I would like to give it a whirl.

I'm still down for learning Scythe.

Sorry I missed you at DTC Bottom Liner, was going to send you a PM but you don't have platinum.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Rad Valtar posted:

Odin is fairly forgiving. There's so many options that there's usually something worth doing.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah, Odin is very much an open playground and much more forgiving than Agricola. Not hard to learn either. Happy to play that and Scythe a lot.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Someone split a nachos with me at HV.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

lmao just lmao if you waste your nacho time at HV and not at old point

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Did the 50th anniversary maybe have something to do with selling out?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Probably, but no one really knows for sure.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

This but for Gencon and for real.

I think Gencon is going to level out at a point soon but its attendance is growing for a number of reasons. The hobbies Gencon caters to are becoming more and more inclusive for one, increasing the attendance base. The fact that Gencon has already reached gender parity is amazing and is very telling about the state of the hobby. The current renaissance in tabletop games, mainly RPG's and board games, is causing the hobby to become more mainstream and accessible too. The general state of the economy is good, it could be better in a lot of ways, but people tend to be more able to afford a trip to Gencon than 8 years ago.

What's going to eventually happen is they're going to keep raising the prices and price out people to balance out attendance. It's the only thing they can really do until more hotels are built up downtown or another midwest city builds itself up to be a better location for Gencon.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I think I read that there is a new hotel with room for 3,000 opening by next year?

It will be interesting to see if they change the cap for any reason, though, or if it just becomes slightly easier to get a connected hotel next year for the people who get in under the same cap. Or whether the 50th anniversary is really somehow that big a draw (I can understand the 50th anniversary of something drawing people in, but once they see that this amazing thing happens every year I bet most of those people would be interested in returning).

I thought it was going to level out when it broke 30,000, considering historical trends implied there was sort of a natural ceiling at that number. SHOWS WHAT I KNOW

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
I'm extremely selfish and hope Gen Con stays in Indy after the current contract. It's really great, it's about the only big, expensive thing my fiancee and I do every year plus several friends attend. But the only reason we can do that is because we all live in Indy. If it moved, I doubt most of my friends would continue going just because paying for a hotel would suck for them.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Bottom Liner posted:

A Feast for Odin
Scythe
Tak
Arcadia Quest
Battlecon
Arkham LCG
Keyflower

I'm in for Arkham LCG. I'll be bringing that and Dark Souls

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

Skypie posted:

I'm extremely selfish and hope Gen Con stays in Indy after the current contract. It's really great, it's about the only big, expensive thing my fiancee and I do every year plus several friends attend. But the only reason we can do that is because we all live in Indy. If it moved, I doubt most of my friends would continue going just because paying for a hotel would suck for them.

Sweet, more Indy Goons!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Dr. Quarex posted:

I think I read that there is a new hotel with room for 3,000 opening by next year?

It will be interesting to see if they change the cap for any reason, though, or if it just becomes slightly easier to get a connected hotel next year for the people who get in under the same cap. Or whether the 50th anniversary is really somehow that big a draw (I can understand the 50th anniversary of something drawing people in, but once they see that this amazing thing happens every year I bet most of those people would be interested in returning).

I thought it was going to level out when it broke 30,000, considering historical trends implied there was sort of a natural ceiling at that number. SHOWS WHAT I KNOW

I'd be kind of surprised if anyone who wasn't going anyway would care about it being the 50th anniversary.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Backno posted:

Sweet, more Indy Goons!

:hfive: I should probably do more with goons who go, but honestly I end up just loving off in the exhibition hall for 2 or 3 days

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Skypie posted:

Well plenty of non-Indianapolis people undoubtedly also hope it stays there. Having been to conventions all over the country, including Gen-Con in Milwaukee, I have not seen anything else to compare to the Turning-Into-A-Literal-Nerd-Kingdom nature that Indianapolis creates while we are all in town.

Though, needless to say, it should also simultaneously be moved to (within 10 minutes' drive of the house of the person making the argument).

Personally I love the "ROAD TRIIIIIIIP" aspect of attendance so much that I am not sure if I could handle it being in my hometown; I would not be able to literally forget my other life existed if I actually went back to my own home at the end of every day.

The Moon Monster posted:

I'd be kind of surprised if anyone who wasn't going anyway would care about it being the 50th anniversary.
The anecdotal response to that is that lots of those people (many of whom make sure to tell us on the Facebook group!) who have "always wanted to go to Gen-Con" figured they might as well come to the big 50th anniversary bash.

Though also worth noting that the 25th anniversary was not only a relatively uneventful year in terms of attendance, it was even one of the two times they teamed up to make it Gen-Con/Origins. Though maybe that muddied the waters of the anniversary in terms of marketing? Also did anyone actually understand the idea of marketing a convention in 1992?

I am always pleased to see that the savage edits I made to the Gen-Con Wikipedia article to take out the "horribly boring people standing in hallways holding hentai signs" photos to replace them with "actual pictures of interesting convention things" are still in place years later.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Dr. Quarex posted:

Well plenty of non-Indianapolis people undoubtedly also hope it stays there. Having been to conventions all over the country, including Gen-Con in Milwaukee, I have not seen anything else to compare to the Turning-Into-A-Literal-Nerd-Kingdom nature that Indianapolis creates while we are all in town.

Though, needless to say, it should also simultaneously be moved to (within 10 minutes' drive of the house of the person making the argument).

Personally I love the "ROAD TRIIIIIIIP" aspect of attendance so much that I am not sure if I could handle it being in my hometown; I would not be able to literally forget my other life existed if I actually went back to my own home at the end of every day.

To be honest, we would probably still go if it remained in the Midwest. I just don't think my friends would bother. But, you are right. It's amazing to be downtown and just see it flooded with nerd themed stuff. All the restaurants seem to really go whole hog on buying into the weekend, you know? They run specials with game references. The food trucks get lines that stretch all the way down Georgia Street.

Honestly the atmosphere is really cool, and I've know people who say they won't go because there's too many people but I've never had trouble with anyone in my brief years of attending and everyone has been, for the most part, polite. I don't tend to sign up for random tabletop games though and that seems to be where most of the assholes are if listening to people talk is any indication.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Skypie posted:

To be honest, we would probably still go if it remained in the Midwest. I just don't think my friends would bother. But, you are right. It's amazing to be downtown and just see it flooded with nerd themed stuff. All the restaurants seem to really go whole hog on buying into the weekend, you know? They run specials with game references. The food trucks get lines that stretch all the way down Georgia Street.
Yeah I do not remember if the first year in Indianapolis was like that, as I shamefully only went for the weekend and barely spent any time in the surrounding area, but by the second year I know we were already starting to notice nearby businesses picking up on things--a far cry from our treatment in Milwaukee, at least by the last few years once I started going.

There are only two important nerdy events I experienced first-hand that I feel are not exaggerated much at all in the telling of how big a change it was: One of them was how much disdain many Milwaukee businesses/retail people had for Gen-Con attendees compared to Indianapolis' relentlessly sunny and welcoming nature, and the other was what happened to Usenet when America Online was allowed to access it. Kind of like the Milwaukee to Indianapolis change, but in reverse!

Skypie posted:

Honestly the atmosphere is really cool, and I've know people who say they won't go because there's too many people but I've never had trouble with anyone in my brief years of attending and everyone has been, for the most part, polite. I don't tend to sign up for random tabletop games though and that seems to be where most of the assholes are if listening to people talk is any indication.
If someone has trouble with crowds then yeah, fair enough, it might be increasingly hard to be at Gen-Con, but yeah, the positivity is not limited to the locals, but also the attendees. Even cynical bastards like me and most of my friends have a hard time not just going with the infectious happiness pervading so much of the convention.

And that said--I agree with you, of the incredibly few not-good experiences I have had at Gen-Con, most of them are related to the people running random tabletop games in far-flung rooms of outside hotels. I will never forget either the gamemaster at the next table who was so loud that we could not hear our own gamemaster, or the gamemaster at our own table who was so quiet that we could not really hear even if there was virtually no other noise in the room. And if that is as bad as it gets...

All the rest bad memories are about Claddagh. Screw you, Claddagh; running a limited menu of "nothing you would actually want from an Irish restaurant" during the convention and giving us wobbly stools to sit on is not a good method for attracting repeat customers :mad: though I suppose if I went on the Monday before things started and demanded a booth seat it might be salvageable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Hey man at least you didn't go to the Tilted Kilt. :v:

Also, it's kinda on the other side of downtown, but if Claddagh wasn't offering you Irish enough food, keep out of Nine Irish Brothers on Mass Ave. I went there a couple years ago for a buddy's birthday and ordered shepherds pie.

It was fuckin sloppy joe beef with mashed potatoes on the side. What the gently caress!

• Locked thread