Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Replying to the previous thread

Sigma-X posted:

What is in the lounge? I assume it's a couple of lovely couches and like cases of Costco water bottles.

It's a few nice couches (well, hotel nice), a stand up cooler of water, coke, diet coke, and apple juice, there's a hot water station for coffee/tea/cocoa, tables use running games, painting, VIG events etc.
There's also the VIG will call, a couple of people there to sell event tickets so you don't have to stand in the regular line, there's a bag check if you don't want to drop your stuff off in your room during the day, and if your tickets or your companion's tickets got sent to the regular will call by mistake (I did this one year because of the way I ordered some game tickets online) they'll send a runner to get them for you
Oh, and the VIG lounge wifi.

Dr. Quarex posted:

It is actually way nicer than it should be (enormous beanbags, pretty spacious, free drinks of many stripes INCLUDING HOT CHOCOLATE OMG) but it is also a tragedy now that only the actual VIGs get to go in...or maybe that just makes it all the better to be one?

I think the company sponsoring the beanbags dropped out because they weren't there the last two years. They were super nice though.

EDIT:

Exmond posted:

Last year there was an indian curry place that had a buffet, was cheap, had tons of room and was delicious. Anyone got the name?

Ilor posted:

Haveli

This place rocks! I recommend eating here often.

8one6 fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

Pez posted:

Anyone know offhand what hotels let you have more than 4 occupants? Our group has 5 this year and don't want to get 2 rooms (and don't want to sneak someone in)

I can register up to 4 people for a room at the Embassy Suites, but I've never had less than 5. In years past I've had 6-7 people in a room and they haven't given me a hard time about it.

8one6
May 20, 2012

nesbit37 posted:

Does anyone know when they usually dump in the VIG block leftovers? Are we talking a few days or weeks here?

It should have already happened. Let me check the emails.

Edit: from the email
"Registration will remain open for returning VIGs until February 5 at 11:59 am (Eastern). You will need to purchase your VIG package by that date. VIGs must reserve all of their preferred VIG housing by February 12, 2017. After that date, you can reserve housing, but it will be offered from the regular attendee housing block, while supplies last."

8one6 fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Feb 13, 2017

8one6
May 20, 2012

Keep in mind that ALL of the VIG badges were accounted for before the housing opened for us. There was no need to keep the block open after general badge purchasing/housing opened like in years past (when there could be a few remaining VIGs to buy)

8one6
May 20, 2012

This handy comic illustrates the Gen Con bathroom situation.

8one6
May 20, 2012

They have plans to fix the smell by 2025! http://www.citizensenergygroup.com/Our-Company/Our-Projects/Combined-Sewer-Overflow

8one6
May 20, 2012

Dr. Quarex posted:

The all-important double post because I was just looking through Offworld Designs' shop and noticed they have a Gen-Con 50 laptop/messenger bag in stock; my own Gen-Con messenger/laptop bag is basically my favorite bag I have ever owned, so if you think $70 is an entirely reasonable price to pay for something to put other things that cost too much in, then check it out! I think the color is even a little more badass this time around.

:page2snypaomgwtfbbq:

That is a nice looking bag this year!

8one6
May 20, 2012

Yeah, from my interactions with him and from the interactions I've seen its safe to say that the Angry GM is an rear end in a top hat who's more than a bit full of himself.
I especially liked the time he got into a twitter argument with @forexposure_txt about paying for writing/art in the RPG industry.

Edit: found it. The tweets are all around here.

8one6 fucked around with this message at 15:46 on May 1, 2017

8one6
May 20, 2012

Slandible posted:

Is there any date yet for when event info goes up and when you can register?

Memorial Day weekend for event sign-up. Sunday at Noon (eastern I think)

8one6
May 20, 2012

So this year I decided to hold off on running my regular 'Starting a Podcast' seminar but it's ok because while perusing the event listings I've noticed that everyone else who runs an RPG podcast took up my slack.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Noon EST right?

8one6
May 20, 2012

Dr. Quarex posted:

O.K. so after a few more minutes it finally was like O.K. GOOD JOB and I discovered I had more overlapping events than I expected.

I am more than a little confused that I seem to have gotten tickets to both of the limited-to-15-people-world-famous-amazing events (Frank Mentzer tour, Jon Peterson tour) but so it goes.

Yes Nesbit37 I WILL BE AT YOUR PANEL WOOOoOoOoO

Edit: How do I know what order I was in? Is there no way?

I'm 4614 in line.
I can't remember if I can walk away/refresh the screen or not.
I'm going to risk it.

EDIT: number 485 in line
Refreshing updates your progress!

8one6
May 20, 2012

Rad Valtar posted:

Do you guys usually have your badges shipped to you or just do will call? I get to town around 5 on Wednesday so I'm assuming it's better to just walk down and grab the badges and save the $10.

After the one time I left my badge at home and didn't notice until I was half way to Indy* I will-call it every year.

*I hung the loving thing on my rear-view mirror so I couldn't possibly forget it. The thing was, I wasn't the driver that year, and when I changed cars I forgot to grab it from the mirror. Because I'm a dumbass.

It's still handing there as a reminder to not be a dumbass.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Is there any way to see a list of the pre-reg'ed store items before the Con?

8one6
May 20, 2012

Anti-Bunny posted:

Any recommendations on what I should set for prices on a three foot tall stack of various near mint RPG books? Just check what they are going for on Amazon? I really need to get rid of this poo poo since I'm moving soon anyway.

If it's d20 then about $50-60 per milk crate from Half Priced books. If you just need to get rid of them maybe $5/book unless it's something really special like a first print/signed module or something like Dune that got almost immediately yanked because oops they didn't have the license so there are maybe 50 copies floating around.

If it was just the complete book of butts that someone can buy in pdf for $5 it's not going to bring much unless it's in a big lot.

8one6
May 20, 2012

The VIG-salt is pouring in from the Gen Con forums I see. Also

LuiCypher posted:

3. Your FLGS is going to have it shortly after you get back anyways, and you should let the MSRP support your store instead of the manufacturer...

This. Especially never stand in line at the FFG booth.

Also, if you want in early the VIGs aren't even the biggest part of that. It's all 'bout dat Trade Day badge now. (Which is the reason they slashed the number of companions the VIGs could bring this year.)

8one6
May 20, 2012

LuiCypher posted:

I'll be happy to revise that by stating that last year, before regular attendees even stepped foot into the hall, VIGs bought every copy of SeaFall. You could not buy it if you had a regular badge - they were all gone basically before the con even started.

I will also say that this is not entirely the fault of the VIG program. I would argue that most of the blame falls on suppliers deliberate under-supplying (like a toy manufacturer) to create excess demand and driving hype. Plaid Hat is almost always guilty of this and (surprise surprise) they published SeaFall.

Case in point, Stonemaier brought a lot of boxes of Scythe with them, and even though it was a hyped and well-reviewed game they were able to meet the demand. I remember that they always held onto some so they had copies available to sell every day of the con.

SeaFall was sold out 5 minutes after those doors opened for early entry because they only brought 10 copies. I mean, I'm sorry that you didn't get to flip it on eBay for $500 and had to wait two months for it, but that poo poo's on pladhat. FFG deliberately makes the launch time of a Gen Con release noon to eliminate any potential VIG/Tradeday sell out.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Dr. Quarex posted:

I am so glad I decided to check last year's Gen-Con Forums posts for amazing quotes. I am going to do this in two parts because I keep finding more and I do not want everyone to skip this post like I totally would if I saw a huge wall of quotes for no reason

(Torrent replies: "I think they should build an apartment for me in the middle of the show floor.")

For more quotes like these visit the Gen Con forums at GenCon.entitlednerd.fart

8one6
May 20, 2012

Haystack posted:

Thankfully the lines have been incredibly fast the last few years. I don't think I've stood in one for more than 30 minutes.

They've really worked on it especially since they have the incentive of all the souls of the damned still standing in the 2011 will call line staring at them.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

i know that bathroom anywhere

thats the gross one dont go in there

8one6
May 20, 2012

Dr. Quarex posted:

I KNOW AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Torrent I apologize if I am outing you as the sort of person who might do something like this but I want to give you credit

But I may have used my Vive and Google Earth VR to fly over the Indianapolis Convention Center

And it was SO AMAZING

THERE IS LITERALLY NO HOPE FOR ME BEING A NORMAL PERSON

I checked out Christ the Redeemer, Zion National Park, and the Statue of Liberty (and pretending to smash apart Trump Tower) but yeah, the ICC would be cool too.

But yes, I can't wait for Gen Con!!!

8one6
May 20, 2012

WerrWaaa posted:

I have lots of plans for GC50 but gently caress it I want to hang with goons.

Ninja edit: Zion is amazing.

Sanding a hundred feet tall in the middle made me want to visit in real life.

8one6
May 20, 2012

I don't get True Dungeon. I looked at the description and it read like the worst parts of larping and the worst parts of D&D mixed in a trashcan with the collectability of MtG. With it being hella expensive and difficult to get spots for an entire group I just don't see the appeal.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Man I'm so good at this GenCon thing. :allears:

My blackjack analogy was mostly about finding a table of something I'm interested in that has empty seats; maybe that doesn't happen very often? I didn't want to sign up to a whole bunch of things and have a set schedule all four days.

My advice is to look through the event guide on Wednesday (You'll be at Gen Con on the phantom 5th day, right?) and find the events that you'd like to go to. If you want to get in with generics show up to the game 10ish minutes early and let the person running it know that You'd like to play if they have any openings. If someone skips you'll get their seat.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Well, I got charged the first night for both rooms.
That'll teach me to forget to switch the payment info for the second room.

8one6
May 20, 2012

A shandy would be nice though.

8one6
May 20, 2012

My friends and I made out annual trip to Sam's Club for Con snacks today.
It's officially the start of Gen Con!!!

8one6
May 20, 2012

On the road to Gen Con!

8one6
May 20, 2012

If you like Indian then Haveli has no wait right now

8one6
May 20, 2012

Why do Union Station and the JW Marriott have to be so goddamn far from everything?

While I'm asking why is the circle center greenhouse the coldest part of the convention?

8one6
May 20, 2012

djfooboo posted:

What if I told you Haveli isn't even the best Indian restaurant in town? :aaaaa: The real ethnic places exist in the west suburbs. There is a restaurant that is so Indian people throw shitt paper in a wastebin, not flush it. I kid you not.

I think I'll skip that particular authentic experience.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When I get home tonight I'll put together a collection of pictures from the Gen Con 50 retrospective. It was awesome!

8one6
May 20, 2012

Junkie Disease posted:

Best new games you played at Gencon this year. GO!

Mutant: Year Zero.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Oh good, the Embassy Suites overcharged me $500 and no one is there to talk about it until Monday.

I know for a fact this is because of how I set up the second room for my friends.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Badges: Acquired!
Rooms: Acquired!
Days until Gen Con: 198

8one6
May 20, 2012

nesbit37 posted:

Cost. Way more expensive than in the block for a downtown room.

This, sort of. I'm a VIG so I'm paying $600 for my ticket basically to guarantee the hotel room I want, and an additional $200 badge to make sure I can get both rooms my group needs.
That's not including the cost of the rooms themselves.
Still 100% worth the cost.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Len posted:

Legitimately jealous of you guys that 1) can afford VIG and 2) can actually get the ticket

I've had it since the second year it was available. It sold out year three. The peace of mind that comes from the early access to the room block is worth enough that my friends and I happily split the extra cost of the badge every year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

clockworkjoe posted:

Does anyone know if it's possible to reserve a room to use as a private gaming space? I want to organize a bunch of games and events for fans of my podcasts. I don't want them to be official events because I want to choose who gets to play. Does anyone know if something like this is possible?

You might check with whatever hotel you're staying at to see if they have a room Gen Con didn't reserve, bt I don't think there's an official way to do it through the con. You could also try reaching out to Derek Guder, the event programming manager, to see if there's a way to reserve a private room.

• Locked thread