Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Does event registration always happen on Sunday of Memorial Day Weekend?

EDIT: At least my two games got filled up.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 15:11 on May 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I want to say this is a first, but I also have never done it before. Certainly seems like a time engineered to be hardest for people to manage.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Dr. Quarex posted:

I want to say this is a first, but I also have never done it before. Certainly seems like a time engineered to be hardest for people to manage.

Well, my sign-ups this year was probably hosed because I was at the Indy 500.

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015

SirPhoebos posted:

Does event registration always happen on Sunday of Memorial Day Weekend?

I think it was earlier in the past - GenCon itself has moved to being later in the month than usual. Not sure if it'll stay that way, I know a few teachers are unhappy with that since now it lies after the semester starts.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

The last few years registration was a weekend earlier.
I only signed up for a handful of events, since I don't know what slots I'll have in the First Exposure play test hall yet. Once I get that, I can go sign up for a few more things, if there's anything interesting still open. Otherwise, lots of time to wander the dealer hall, along with hopefully talking to some publishers.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I hardly got into anything but its ok, I'm going with my parents this year for their 40th anniversary and they got into most of what they wanted so I am happy for that. My only regret is not being able to get 3 true dungeon tickets to be able to do a run together.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Didn't get into the Trail of Cthullu game in the morning, but otherwise got everything I wanted:

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Klungar posted:

Didn't get into the Trail of Cthullu game in the morning, but otherwise got everything I wanted:

When do you drink?

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Deviant posted:

When do you drink?

A reminder that SHOT SATURDAY is now a thing... Shot saturday will be the true dungeon we all wanted.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Deviant posted:

When do you drink?

Post having kids, I only really have time to attend Saturdays, so I gotta cram as much in as I can. Thankfully my parents who live outside of Indy watch my son for the day and run a whiskey distillery as well, so my babysitting and drinking needs are filled in a one stop shop.

Lump Shaker
Nov 20, 2001

Exmond posted:

Anyone else getting into the L5R inaugural tournament?

Yes, I lucked out and got a ticket. Also got into the Star Wars Destiny championships so I'm pretty pleased. Other than that, doing Two Rooms and a Boom, Wits & Wagers Gameshow and the BGG Hot Games Room.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Do you guys usually have your badges shipped to you or just do will call? I get to town around 5 on Wednesday so I'm assuming it's better to just walk down and grab the badges and save the $10.

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015

nesbit37 posted:

I hardly got into anything but its ok, I'm going with my parents this year for their 40th anniversary and they got into most of what they wanted so I am happy for that. My only regret is not being able to get 3 true dungeon tickets to be able to do a run together.

Keep your eyes open, some of the runs will become available again since the majority of people playing the event are doing so in large groups. You also may want to consider putzing around on the TD forums, as there may be someone who is willing to offload event tickets.

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015

Rad Valtar posted:

Do you guys usually have your badges shipped to you or just do will call? I get to town around 5 on Wednesday so I'm assuming it's better to just walk down and grab the badges and save the $10.

Just do will call - I did mail once in the past and it was lost for while.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Lump Shaker posted:

Yes, I lucked out and got a ticket. Also got into the Star Wars Destiny championships so I'm pretty pleased. Other than that, doing Two Rooms and a Boom, Wits & Wagers Gameshow and the BGG Hot Games Room.

Haha! Want to teach me how to play? You in the groupme chat? It seems pretty interesting but im kind of nervous around tournaments (And Salty Mike may reveal himself in a tournament).

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Rad Valtar posted:

Shipped. Those Will Call lines for the first forty-eight hours are death.

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.

Deathlove posted:

Since will call is now open 24 hours, the best time to go is late at night. Sure, there's a good chance you'll be drunk at that point, but it will be a shorter line.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Rad Valtar posted:

Radio Free Walrus posted:

Just do will call - I did mail once in the past and it was lost for while.

Deathlove posted:

Double Agent posted:

Since will call is now open 24 hours, the best time to go is late at night. Sure, there's a good chance you'll be drunk at that point, but it will be a shorter line.
This conversation loop is nearly closed, but nobody has yet mentioned that the Will Call lines on Wednesday are always pretty short, in addition to being short late at night of course.

On one hand, I used to love having my badge shipped to me; on the other, that is not an option once you are a volunteer anyway, and they make Will Call more enjoyable every year, so I am content with picking everything up now.

Plus I seem to move annually which keeps me never knowing where I will be living in July :smith:

Lump Shaker
Nov 20, 2001

Exmond posted:

Haha! Want to teach me how to play? You in the groupme chat? It seems pretty interesting but im kind of nervous around tournaments (And Salty Mike may reveal himself in a tournament).

Hah, well it's not out yet so I'm afraid I won't be much help. You can read the articles on the FFG website to get a general sense of a lot of the rules though. I'm hoping it will be a pretty casual tournament since it will be everyone's first time playing, unless cards are scanned to TTS before hand. Not in the groupme chat - I should probably sign up for that.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Deviant posted:

When do you drink?

I would imagine every section in green.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Lump Shaker posted:

If you like Two Rooms, I'd probably sell you my kickstarter edition. It didn't grab us.

Edit: I'd trade it to you for your L5R ticket. :p

Deviant fucked around with this message at 18:55 on May 30, 2017

Lump Shaker
Nov 20, 2001

Deviant posted:

If you like Two Rooms, I'd probably sell you my kickstarter edition. It didn't grab us.

Thanks for the offer. To be honest I'm not a huge fan of the game myself, but my group wanted to do it and it doesn't take too long.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Rad Valtar posted:

After the one time I left my badge at home and didn't notice until I was half way to Indy* I will-call it every year.

*I hung the loving thing on my rear-view mirror so I couldn't possibly forget it. The thing was, I wasn't the driver that year, and when I changed cars I forgot to grab it from the mirror. Because I'm a dumbass.

It's still handing there as a reminder to not be a dumbass.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

Deathlove posted:

They used to be terrible but over the last several years they have made it much more bearable. Last year I waited in line with 2 separate Goons and even though the line ran from the booths to the JW, it still only took like 30 min.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I should have wishlisted the L5R tournament for the chance to trade it for a downtown hotel room. I wonder if the demand for the game is going to be greater than what the demand for Netrunner was.

For a brief moment today, the Hyatt Regency popped up today but it was gone the second I selected it.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 04:40 on May 31, 2017

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

8one6 posted:

It's still handing there as a reminder to not be a dumbass.
This is a good system.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Dr. Quarex posted:

This conversation loop is nearly closed, but nobody has yet mentioned that the Will Call lines on Wednesday are always pretty short, in addition to being short late at night of course.

On one hand, I used to love having my badge shipped to me; on the other, that is not an option once you are a volunteer anyway, and they make Will Call more enjoyable every year, so I am content with picking everything up now.

Plus I seem to move annually which keeps me never knowing where I will be living in July :smith:

Yeah will call isn't really bad. Line can get real long, but it tends to blaze through real fast. Longest i've waited was probably ~25m or so, which is a line like going way past the corner of the convention hall wall

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Well, that's good to hear; I've walked past that line enough and just been like NOOOOOOOOOOPE.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Yeah, will call line is seriously NBD. Food and FFG lines however...

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015
Yeah, food is horrific. Also bathrooms sometimes.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Oh god, the bathrooms are some of the worst things I have experienced in my life. I don't know how all the toilet paper is gone by 8am every day but it just is and replaced with a combination of the spells grease and stinking cloud.

edit: Bathrooms are the underrated luxury of having a downtown hotel room. You have no choice of where to go when your hotel is 10 miles away!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
The worst effect the Gen-Con bathrooms have had on my life is having such a distinctive stench that on those incredibly rare occasions I end up in some other way-way-way-overused public bathroom elsewhere in life, I instantly recognize the smell and it is briefly nostalgic despite being awful. Hey, Awful Nostalgia! That is like what we have here!

Also one secret to the bathroom quandary is, if you have to use the bathroom, look for the closest bathroom to wherever you are and then ignore it at all costs and keep wandering the convention center halls aimlessly until you find a bathroom in an area where not much is going on. I mean, if you are going to make it that far. If not, I hear [censored AB/DL joke]

Was this posted earlier in this very thread? Yes? No? Who cares, topical again?

Edit: I have just discovered how hard it is to search for comics about conventions.

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 16:28 on May 31, 2017

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

nesbit37 posted:

Oh god, the bathrooms are some of the worst things I have experienced in my life. I don't know how all the toilet paper is gone by 8am every day but it just is and replaced with a combination of the spells grease and stinking cloud.

edit: Bathrooms are the underrated luxury of having a downtown hotel room. You have no choice of where to go when your hotel is 10 miles away!

There's a couple reliably not-used ones, but you must discover them on your own

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Like all cons, feed unhealthy people grease and nacho cheese all day and you shouldn't expect anything else.

2nd year in a row with a connected hotel, I don't know how I could ever go back.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
I got a suite at the hilton so i'm closer than normal. It does mean that i may not want to scout out that one bar that hosed up on us last year tho

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I imagine this might be being talked about in some other place where people talk about things in this subforum but the TORG Eternity Kickstarter is live (and doing, uhh, about 10,000% better than I expected) and someone is Livetweeting the invasion of Earth!

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

Sloober posted:

I got a suite at the hilton so i'm closer than normal. It does mean that i may not want to scout out that one bar that hosed up on us last year tho

My crew regularly opts for the Hilton over connected rooms/the JW. They like the rooms better, I guess. :shrug:

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I'm highly envious of those of you who have someone in your team willing to sell their immortal souls for good hotel rooms

my gencon squad this year all asked me to submit their events for them :(

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I'm highly envious of those of you who have someone in your team willing to sell their immortal souls for good hotel rooms

I'm just flush with cash because for real suites are easy to get and even now you could probably get one a block away, they're pricey which scares off people.

I just view this as my one great vacation per year so i'm willing to spend.

saint gerald posted:

My crew regularly opts for the Hilton over connected rooms/the JW. They like the rooms better, I guess. :shrug:

Looking forward to unknowingly sitting like right across from you at a table at the weber again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Your squad needs to Squad Up and join you in trying to do these things! Rude. OR DO YOU NEED A NEW SQUAD???

Sloober posted:

I'm just flush with cash because for real suites are easy to get and even now you could probably get one a block away, they're pricey which scares off people.

I just view this as my one great vacation per year so i'm willing to spend.
Same. I was talking about this on one of the official places, where people were asking what the target demographic for Gen-Con was (well, you know, besides nerds), and trying to extrapolate from that what people would be willing to pay for badges and hotel rooms and everything. I think I killed the thread when I said something like "dude I mean, I think if you straight-up reset the V.I.G. and auctioned them off, groups like mine, which is made up of people with middle-to-upper-middle-average incomes at best, would probably bid the price up into the thousands just to be sure we were going to have the best time possible for the best event of the year. I mean, if I am only planning to really spend more than $50 in a day once in a year, I might as well go all-out, right?! And, the point is, that hardly aligns with what you would expect people in our income brackets to be willing to pay. Or maybe it does and I know nothing about vacation spending.

• Locked thread