Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015
I'm surprised you don't have Yard House on your grub list. Place is pretty good, is fairly spacious, and is basically ignored during the lunch rush.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015

Agrias120 posted:

I'll echo the recommendation of Yard House. Food is pretty good and there's tons of beer on tap, which is fantastic. I've stopped in during the day and it's usually pretty empty, I guess because it's a little farther away from the Convention Center or something.

I'm looking forward to this year's Gen Con, but am a little nervous about scheduling more stuff to do. Usually it's just my friend and I, but this year three more friends are joining us (on account of it doubling as a part of my bachelor party). It should be a ton of fun, as always, but it's going to be hard topping last year when I randomly made close to $400 off of True Dungeon coins.

Basically Yard House is pretty close to the convention center, isn't advertised very well so a lot of people don't go, they have good beer, and their prices aren't terrible for the amount / quality. Seriously I must've walked by that place for years until one of our friends took us there for lunch. Windows are dark, I don't remember if they really had much of a sign, and they're right next to a tunnel if I remember correctly.

Also, you just gotta believe on TD. Or get really good at finagling magnets. Since they switched to the magnetized plunger method I've seen a number of people get 2-4 tokens instead of 1 with a single pull. That being said, they're trying to reduce the amount of pulls everyone gets, as the last few years people have been really abusing the token++ items (myself included).

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015

LuiCypher posted:

Also, we should have an album of advertisements for failed/dying games that we see at GenCon. I particularly miss the Navia Dratp picture, because it's full of bluster and says absolutely nothing about the game other than... It happened.

Man, I played that game one time. It was emphatically absolutely positively eh.

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015
For what it's worth, we usually have 5-6 people in our room at the JW. Couple of air mattresses and all that.
Here's to hoping 2:30ish tomorrow will be enough to get a good room.

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015
Got our spots, I even ended up swinging a spot at the Westin with my 2:32pm.
Edit: Two of our folks even got rooms for 2018.

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015

Neveth posted:

We got in a minute after you and there was NOTHING downtown. All we wanted was a single king for 2 people. Nothing. *sigh* So we're out at the airport. Anyone know what sort of shuttle system they have, if any, or do we need to look into renting a car once we get to indy?

Initially there was nothing available outside of 4 blocks - a few refreshes revealed someone releasing the Westin.

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015

Neveth posted:

We got in a minute after you and there was NOTHING downtown. All we wanted was a single king for 2 people. Nothing. *sigh* So we're out at the airport. Anyone know what sort of shuttle system they have, if any, or do we need to look into renting a car once we get to indy?

I think there's also a pedicab service which is kind of fun. Had to use them once when my car got locked in a parking garage overnight.

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015
Man, those folks Ubering in Indianapolis during Gencon must make neckbeard bank.
Oh, and anyone who is having issues with Hotel stuff, remember that certain volunteering opportunities at the con may give you close hotel access. It probably won't be great since you have to share it with people, but it's still an option.

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015
As a heads up, the stadium parking pricing may be going up / be harder to get now and in the future since True Dungeon has moved into Lucas Oil. If nothing else all the volunteers for that event will rush that area so they don't have to walk a while after doing their shifts.

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015
TD is worth doing at least once just to see if you like it. I wouldn't suggest doing the lower priced one as your first time because that's a separate 'True Grind' event with is just your group fighting a bunch of monsters. It is definitely not for everybody, and it is vastly improved if you have a decent sized group of people you know playing it with you. It can also be a little touch and go based on who is volunteering, as our first run last year had a completely disinterested NPC who was with us for the first four rooms. Second run had a succubus who was singing songs with me (party bard) and a metal fallen angel.
For what it's worth this year is also heavily influenced by Patrick Rothfuss, which may add or subtract to the appeal depending on your personal opinions of him.
And as always, if you pull something that doesn't have Black Green or Red text for the name find a reputable buyer and sell it to them, don't give it away for free.

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015

fordan posted:

TD moved to Lucas Oil last year? :confused:

Unless I'm completely mis-remembering yes, they've moved into a lower section of it in order to get more space. They've also got the prep and game sections split by walls now, so there's much less light bleed. You can still get there from the convention center completely inside although it's a bit more of a walk than it was prior. There are also a few anime booth things nearby there, gencon is just kind of spreading like a city-sized parasite.

edit: Also, it has much better AC than the convention hall / AC that is actually present during setup.

Radio Free Walrus fucked around with this message at 18:26 on May 26, 2017

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015
I don't know what the deal was but the events seemed to go quite a bit faster this year, even with two of our group getting below 1000 on their wish list. This is the first year we actually didn't get everything we were going for, ended up having to out-source one event to other contacts.

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015

SirPhoebos posted:

Does event registration always happen on Sunday of Memorial Day Weekend?

I think it was earlier in the past - GenCon itself has moved to being later in the month than usual. Not sure if it'll stay that way, I know a few teachers are unhappy with that since now it lies after the semester starts.

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015

nesbit37 posted:

I hardly got into anything but its ok, I'm going with my parents this year for their 40th anniversary and they got into most of what they wanted so I am happy for that. My only regret is not being able to get 3 true dungeon tickets to be able to do a run together.

Keep your eyes open, some of the runs will become available again since the majority of people playing the event are doing so in large groups. You also may want to consider putzing around on the TD forums, as there may be someone who is willing to offload event tickets.

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015

Rad Valtar posted:

Do you guys usually have your badges shipped to you or just do will call? I get to town around 5 on Wednesday so I'm assuming it's better to just walk down and grab the badges and save the $10.

Just do will call - I did mail once in the past and it was lost for while.

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015
Yeah, food is horrific. Also bathrooms sometimes.

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015
Does anyone happen to know if the new Scythe expansion will be available at Gencon? From what I've seen online I don't think so, but I'm not sure what information everyone else is privy to.

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015
I heard really good things about the nerdlesque last year - we did not have as much fun the last time we went to hentai dubbin / whatever it has become.

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015
So judging from today's email it looks like gencon is not happy with folks camping hotel rooms.

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015

Haystack posted:

What's the email?

"The following is a reminder that the housing cancellation policy will change after June 26, 2017 as follows:

All reservations cancelled before 11:59 pm, EST, June 26, 2017 are subject to a $50 cancellation fee per room.

Reservations cancelled after June 26, 2017, are subject to a cancellation fee equal to one night charge per room."

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015
I figure the rest of gencon will spill over into Lucas Oil, just like TD did. And then the steak and shake right around the corner. AND THEN THE WORLD.

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015
I am signed up for intro artemis at 10am on Sunday.

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015
Speaking of hairy dudes cosplaying, there was an amazing Conan meets Bobba Fett cosplay two years ago or so. We were impressed.

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015
This whole badge sellout thing may be an issue for me - i have a gm badge from TD and I'm just recently finding that i have to go somewhere for a training event during the gencon lead up (when i usually volunteer). Either I'm going to have to buy a bunch of one day passes or I'm gonna have to swing shifts during the con.
They're being super nice about it but man this year's gencon is shaping up to be an odd one.

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015

Klungar posted:

Can anyone direct me to where I might sell this? Pulled it last time we did True Dungeon but don't intend to really ever play it again.

If you're just looking to get rid of it quickly, posting it up on the TD forums will net you between 100 and 130. You can probably get more if you post it on Ebay, just because of visibility and bidding wars, but that'll take a little while. I think that the +2 Deathcleavers have been mostly sold out so you should have pretty decent interest though!

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015

Dr. Quarex posted:

I realize those True Dungeon tokens that are worth that much have to be pretty uncommon, but I love now picturing someone farming True Dungeon sessions for tokens by buying slots in like ten different sessions, getting treasure, and not playing through the session

My girlfriend and I may make sure to pick up any treasure token pull increasing tokens to increase the haul. Also, unfortunately that dream can't come true! You have to play through in order to get your pulls from a run - you can't just bail out half way.

But yes, one guy we ran with earlier this year at TDC by himself equipped our entire party of 9 with about 3 thousand buckaroos worth of tokens.....

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015

Dr. Quarex posted:

...and now I realize that True Dungeon is an entire niche convention world within an already-niche convention world and I must know more

Warning: Wall of Text Approaching

So, you get a set number of tokens for completing the event - It used to be based on if you solved the puzzles or not but they moved to a flat value since people got crappy. There used to be a number of tokens which multiplied the total amount you got - horn of plenty, ring of riches and so forth. But, you ended up with people who had been playing long enough getting insane numbers of pulls, and the rich get richer. They've switched these to flat pulls, and the older super powerful token enhancers can now be combined into a single super treasure charm (still not as good as the old combinations) and it helps get those out of circulation. I think you max out at around 20 pulls now if you have the full treasure plus items and your party has the synergistic treasure + equipment. So it's better than it was, at least a bit.

On the topic of getting slots for TD, i feel like they need to really draw back on people solo running dungeons. It sucks because i know thats how they get their money but it turns the TD draw into oh wow i got tickets and demand and it must be amazing, and then if they don't like it it's a huge let down. Something has to change before it's only greybeards playing the game. We have a ton of friends from places all over in TD, so that's why we play and have a good time being idiots - If we didn't have that group the draw would be considerably less so.

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015

Dr. Quarex posted:

... now beware as it sounds like you are close to selling your home and following True Dungeon around the country. Well with your friends granted.

Well, the excuse is that gencon is back home so i get to visit my folks, and TDC was hosted at a winery. Also, who needs to sell your home to travel when it's a TD token!

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015
Especially for last year's adventure where one npc drags you through the majority of the run the volunteer quality really has an effect. I'd enjoy it if they started setting professional/dedicated NPCs instead, or increasing the volunteer reward system.

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015
Singing bards are the best bards. Plus sometimes the npcs will do stuff for you!

Off TD topic, is anyone playing steamforged's definitely not in no way Resident Evil board game? It's uhh trash panda metropolis or something.

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015
In general there is a no smartphone rule, no photography, etc etc. That being said your dm's view on those rules can be all over the place, so having a few preprinted tunes would be a good idea.
You gotta get immersed in being an elf wizard shufflepuck champion after all.

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015
Arkham LCG players : how is that thing? We're thinking about buying it and doing Gencon games of it as a group activity - last year was scythe (which drunk people got very salty at) and some dwarven drinking game.

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015
We always steal tables in the hotels for gaming - almost always space for two groups of six.

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015
That's disappointing, the 9 irish in Lafayette was pretty reliably decent irish food!

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015
That Rathskeller place looks super cool and how the heck do i keep not finding interesting places in indi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015
Anybody have food truck suggestions? I'm in line for 'Lost Island' but thats more a testament to its line rather than quality.

• Locked thread