Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Huskalator posted:

So my buddy procrastinated on getting a 4-day badge does the sellout mean he's screwed?

EDIT: Ok yeah I think he's screwed.

So... I might have an open bed now in my room it's a double/double downtown at Sheraton City Center. Anyone interested?

I'm looking to extricate myself from potential nerd drama involving a room, so yeah, I'd be interested. (I was never 100% committed, so I'm not leaving anybody in the lurch in case folks are wondering.)

As always, I'm willing to pay my share and generally make myself decent for at least the space of the con. Can provide references if necessary from folks I've stayed with before. When are you booked for? I usually aim to stay Wednesday through Saturday, but I figure it's best to check.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Huskalator posted:

So my buddy procrastinated on getting a 4-day badge does the sellout mean he's screwed?

EDIT: Ok yeah I think he's screwed.

So... I might have an open bed now in my room it's a double/double downtown at Sheraton City Center. Anyone interested?

Hey, interested in this as previously mentioned, but let me know ASAP about this if you can, otherwise I'll have to fish around instead. Since you're PM-free, I just gotta bug you here. Let me know!

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Huskalator posted:

Hey, sorry it took me so long to get back with you.

It's from Wed-Sun. $515 /person for the whole stay. If you're still interested you can PM me on the GenCon website zlarue is my username.

Alright, sent a message on over!

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Yeah, good luck - things have gotten really rough in that regard.

Nevermind! Glad to hear you're all set.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Yeah, I got a Legendary lanyard, so I'll just probably be using one of my own.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

At least it isn't Origins, which has gone to charging $8 for some seminars. Could be worse. So much worse.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Dr. Quarex posted:

Yikes. I was so amazingly distracted this year at Origins that I only looked at the events running for like two hours out of the entire convention, so I missed this.

Not that there hardly are any seminars, and they're buried in the schedule where you can hardly find them, but yeah, they were $4-$8.

Mind, most of my time was either goons or Smithees, so it worked out, but yeesh.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Yeah, the auction really needs a bigger space at this point, particularly for the store.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

It'll be great to see you this year, Quarex, you were missed last time (albeit with very good reason).

Pricing stuff for the auction is a headache this year, I have a number of books that are ridiculously priced on Amazon / Noble Knight Games / eBay to a level where I would be shocked to see anybody pay for. $50+ for a copy of Hacker? Yeah... sure... :rolleyes:

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

SirPhoebos posted:

What advice do you have for Pricing?

I've only been doing this for a few years, so I'm no authority. But my usual process is to go to eBay and search for what I'm trying to sell with the filter "Show only: sold listings." What people are selling it for isn't nearly as worthwhile to as knowing what they're buying it for. I then sometimes check Amazon or Noble Knight Games usually just to make sure I'm not overshooting the current price of the item overtly (including about $4 for S&H in that estimation). I'll usually set the top price around what the top end of what people are buying it for and the low price based on the low end. Of course, sometimes this can vary a lot or you can't get accurate pricing data and you just have to eyeball it and guess. Bear in mind sometimes you just have to do fire sale prices - it's how I got rid of a lot of my d20 stuff. But even then, that added up to a lot more money than I expected. With high-value items it can be tricky, it took me two years to sell off my rarer Wraith books. Just because something is technically valuable doesn't mean anybody will buy it for that price, but the auction is good for at least giving those sorts of items a shot at collecting the market value. Worst case scenario, you take some stuff home and try again next year.

With stuff like CCGs I just ended up doing comparable searches and a lot of guesswork based on the top-rarity items. That poo poo is really hard to sell but I think I'm at least getting a better idea of how to market it. For example, this year I'm trying to sell off Heroclix and I've been able to find a store that sells cheap clear plastic bins at $1-$2 - which is ideal. Minis need to look visible to the buyer, I think - that's one of the issues I think I've had with selling CCGs, is that people can't see what they're buying inside the box. I'm pretty sure Arcadia would have sold by now if people had a better idea of how rad it looks, particularly the cool pop-up cards. Hopefully my theory has weight and I'll be able to offload some ancient poorly-painted plastic. Still trying to figure out the best ways to handle collectible games, but I hope I'm making progress.

Quarex probably knows more, I dunno. I'm thinking of trying a goofy TOVA idea this year if I can find the time.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

That Old Tree posted:

First shot of my life and it was Fireball. Goons are the worst, WOO!

Edit: no seriously Fireball it's the worst

Oh, were you at the Rathskeller? Are you on the GroupMe?

I barely drink and I had one, I generally only have liquor if it's really interesting and that was... interesting. Not as interesting as the horseradish liquor of a year or two past, mind.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

So, I presume folks that work with vendors might know - how are vendor spaces allocated? I presume wads of money a factor, but how does somebody get up-front where they lines queue while others languish in the shadowy rear end-end?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Ilor posted:

Wads of money are indeed the main factor. Mudcrab Merchant can probably give more specific info, but talking to friends who are exhibitors, the ICC charges you for pretty much everything but the air you breathe (and if they could figure that out, they would). Booths are costed on a per-square-foot basis. Want carpet in your booth? Pay extra. Want actual padding under that carpet? Pay extra.

Yeah, I was just curious because you'll have a publisher doing doing in the middle with a large booth and suddenly next year they're smack in the back behind the CCG pushers, and it left me wondering if that's a sign that things aren't doing so well for them.

djfooboo posted:

I recall in the groupme that it should have been called Orcs Must Dice!

Yeah, that was me. I didn't play it or anything, I mostly just struggled to envision a possible scenario where I'd want to play a board game over, you know, just playing OMD co-op. Doesn't the new version have up to 4-player co-op? Something like that? I should try it some more.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Agrias120 posted:

I originally was ready to drop down a lot of money on Starfinder, but the event we played was pretty lackluster and it selling out on day 1 left a bad taste in my mouth.

Fragged Empire is the better choice there, I think, having gotten a look at Starfinger. I actually ran across some of the adventures in the auction store, and got the archives at IGDN, so I finally have a set of the main books and I'm pretty happy about it!

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

CaptainRat posted:

A Phil Foglio joint.

Would've made for some more interesting hall banners, at the very least!

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Belatedly, the one cool thing I forgot to list as part of my GenCon moments was the "Ancient Sisterhood of Gaming History" panel, which mainly had a bunch of ex-WotC female employees (including Lisa Stevens) and Nicole Lindroos telling their stories about getting involved in the TG industry. Lindroos telling stories about how they had Vampire laid out, and then the somewhat-dyslexic Rein-Hagen adding stuff at the last minute which required a last-minute panic edit and re-layout explains a lot how things tended to go down at early White Wolf. And about her leaving when she was essentially cut out of stock in the company. Lisa Stevens' story of basically going without pay for a time the first time she had to fire staff at Paizo felt really admirable at first (if she had to fire anybody, she'd felt like she'd failed) and now as I think about it explains a lot about some dysfunctions at Paizo, too...

It was pretty good and easily overlooked. I know they had a lot of the Retrospective panels filmed so hopefully it should be available to a wider audience at some point.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

[Any idea where they post the panel videos? I'd love to watch some. I need to make it a point to go to some next year.

If they've been posted anywhere, I'm not aware of it. The only official video stuff I've been able to find is on their facebook page, and that's pretty sparse.

I don't know whether or not they'll be publicly available, but I sure hope so.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Yeah, Mafia / Werewolf has been a thing for about thirty years now.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

OB_Juan posted:

Haha, I've had a love/hate thing with Palladium for maybe 20 years now. Rifts was the second RPG I ever played. I'd heard the Kickstarter was a poo poo show, but I didn't know people didn't have their stuff yet. It's been in stores for a little while now.

Robotech struck me as decidedly average from what I saw of it, which is a shame given the licenses. I think it'd depend on how much you like the sculpts, but either way, I wouldn't hold my breath on expansions or support. Wave 2 has eternally been on the horizon, and between the amount of money necessary and Palladium's inexperience with minis, I wouldn't put any bets on it.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Got badge, looking to see if anybody's looking to take a room crasher (paying my share as usual, of course). Worried to risk the room lottery and get stuck with something on my own, not quite sure how that works. :raise:

Have various people who can vouch for me not being weird(er than usual for GenCon) if necessary.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I'm inquiring if anybody has crash space, whether it'd be a cot or floor or otherwise! I'd be willing to pay whatever my share would be. Those who've had me as a guest been can attest to me being decent, or at least not toxically goony. Or, at least, I presume they would. I realized the rooming situation I'm in now is going to be craaazy crowded and I figured I'd see if there's anything a bit more sane before I hand over money. Mind, I'm not leaving anybody in the lurch, I brought it up to the person hosting the room first last night before bringing it here.

In any case, feel free to PM or let me know here in the thread. It's not an emergency or anything, but I figured it'd be good to ask before I'm entirely committed to my present situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Thanks, I had no idea.

• Locked thread