Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Luckily the Bruins only play 4 games in the next 17 days with their bye week, so hopefully Bergeron and Rask missing time (if they do) won't affect them too adversely. If it's longer than that they're probably in trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
just wanted to say, apropos of nothing, that Jimmy Hayes loving sucks and I hate him

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
BA BA BA baba bababa

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
what are the Rangers doing with Buchnevich? I thought he was good and I've held on to him in fantasy but apparently he's fuckin playing 8 minutes a night and trying to fight people now??

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I think the goalie for each team should be a dog

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Firing Julien is retarded because the only reason the Bruins aren't in the toilet, in my opinion, is because Julien is a very good coach. I don't see how you can possibly replace him with any of the coaches who are available. Hopefully they just stick with Cassidy for the rest of the year and see who's around in the summer. An impulse Capuano hire or something would loving suck.

Aphrodite posted:

Julien is an awful coach for a young team.

Yeah, my one complaint with Julien has always been that he's not great with younger guys and likes to rely on his veterans. He did a little better with Carlo but I think that's out of necessity. I remember when Seguin and Pastrnak were both regular 3rd or 4th line players because they're kids or whatever BS reason he had.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
To me the funniest part is that EVERYONE knows that Julien wasn't the problem. The fans, the media, the players, even Sweeney and Neely - but they're not going to fire themselves for putting together a mostly-garbage roster, so instead they do this.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Remember when the Bruins were really well stocked for the future and then made poorly conceived trades for Seguin and Hamilton?

Pastrnak has more points than Seguin did in the first ~150 games of their NHL careers. Similar usage too where Claude would inexplicably place them on the bottom 6 or scratch them for no reason!

So, what I'm saying is that they're going to trade Pastrnak in about a year for a guy in his late 20s and some scrub prospects.

Mind_Taker posted:

Yeah Bruce Cassidy was a legit rear end in a top hat behind the bench with no clue what he was doing. The Capitals team he had was pretty talented (Jagr, Bondra, Gonchar, Kolzig, Lang, etc.) and he managed to turn them into poo poo.

So congrats Bruins friends.

That was literally 15 years ago. He did well in Providence and he's familiar with the Bruins system, and a lot of the players on the roster, so I don't have a problem with him being interim head coach.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I'm actually starting to think Julien was fired because the Bruins have no backup goaltending. Which again, is Sweeney's fault. Khudobin/McIntyre/Subban are collectively 1-9-2. If they had even managed .500, which doesn't seem unreasonable to expect of backup goaltending, Boston has 4 more wins. While that's still maybe not great considering how many games they've played, I don't think Julien gets fired if they're within two points of the division leader.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

glynnenstein posted:

You can also see, on the plus side, they generate a good number of shots while denying opponents shots.

To me this is the crux of the issue. Boston has been very good at denying shots all season, its one of the strengths of their system in my opinion, but simultaneously (and maybe anecdotally) it seems like they give up waaaay more high quality chances against than they used to. So while the opponent is sometimes literally only managing to put ~20 shots on net in a night, it seems like 7 or 8 of those shots will be from breakaways, 2-on-1s, or guys left complete unguarded in the slot.

glynnenstein posted:

That could be a systems issue or a talent issue or both. I don't watch enough B's games to say.

I think it's actually an issue with bad luck, I'm sure there are some advanced stats that reflect that too. Their system/style of play is solid when it works, and they have the talent to be better than their record, but almost everyone on the roster is underperforming. Maybe that's a coaching problem but you look at how strong their special teams have been, and how their fancy stat numbers are tops in the league, and it makes it hard to pin players not scoring like they used to on coaching. Krejci has been a perennial 60-70 point guy and is currently sitting at 34 on the year. Spooner had 49 last year and is at 27. Backes has been okay at best, but nowhere near replacing what Eriksson did for the team, which is ostensibly why they got him. Jimmy Hayes and Matt Beleskey suck poo poo and they weren't even that great to begin with, but you still miss the 10-15 goals you'd expect the two of them to have combined for at this point. Bergeron's line is literally the only thing about the team that's lived up to expectations, with Pastrnak and Marchand both being top 25 in league scoring, but even Bergeron is having a rough year points-wise. This is a team that, on paper at least, you could reasonably expect to be somewhere between 3rd in their division (or 2nd since the Atlantic is weak) or maybe a wild card, but they're not even playing to that relatively low bar.

Rask has been good as well, actually. His numbers look underwhelming but it's a bit deceiving since, as I mentioned above, the Bruins are doing great at suppressing shots, but they seem to give up a lot of high quality chances too.

I don't really know where I'm going with this and I think I've sort of strayed away from your original point. Anyway, coaching wasn't the problem. Maybe Julien being fired makes the team "try harder" or some bullshit for the next few games, but it doesn't solve the fundamental of the roster being flawed and multiple players having down years at the same time.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I'm not saying he's absolved of his bad performances, but it definitely doesn't help that they leave him hanging out to dry multiple times every game. Then he has to start the next one because there's literally no reliable backup in the system. The goaltending is a mess.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Jordan7hm posted:

I think going into this season expecting one of Khudobin/McIntyre/Subban to be a 20-25 game backup was actually pretty reasonable.

Definitely, but instead they've gone 1-9-2 collectively, and none of them are above .885.

I have hope for McIntyre since he's been phenomenal in Providence, but this year has just been brutal for him when he's gotten his chances.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
There are probably at least a dozen teams in the NHL who should strongly consider firing their coach to pick up Julien.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Shawn Cotureier posted:

Konecny cancelled a public appearance he was supposed to have tonight because of injury

If he can't sit behind a table at a mall then he probably isn't going to play for at least a few games

he's probably pissed about his twitter account still

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Grimby posted:

So, which ex-Bruin are Sweeney and Neely going to bring in to coach?

Hmm, so we're looking for an ex-Bruin, who has coaching experience, and is probably someone who overlapped with Sweeney as a player? On the "Ok, sure, why not" end of the spectrum we have Ted Donato (head coach at Harvard) and on the "I'm Going To Kill Myself" end we have Adam Oates.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I mean he's like, what, 22 or 23? It wouldn't surprise me if he feels like he doesn't have to work any harder because of how well he played last year. Not that I'm much older than him, but young people are stupid. I'm actually pretty stupid too.

Anyway, it's still probably dumb to sit him.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
nice to see the Bruins win, not reading into it too much but still a solid win against a good team. Also, I found out David Pastrnak has maybe the best athlete twitter picture, in my opinion.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

ThinkTank posted:

The Capitals became just the 2nd team in NHL history to score 5 or more goals in 10 straight home games last night. The last time they didn't score 5 at home was on New Year's Day.
Last 11 Caps home games:
6-3 v Det
5-0 v Car
5-0 v LA
5-3 v Bos
6-1 v Car
5-0 v Phi
6-0 v Chi
5-2 v Pit
5-0 v CBJ
6-5 v Tor
2-1 v Ott

That's insane. 56-15 overall, and a third of those goals against were from one game.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I really think this is Washington's year. Every year the roster seems to somehow be even better than the one before it and they've been an elite team for years now.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Not the GDT, but no one reads that so I'm posting here. Replacing Pastrnak with Backes on the Bergeron line is stupid, and I do not like it.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Canucks losing to Bruins backup goaltending is even more evidence that they're a garbage team.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

ThinkTank posted:

They weren't lacking in evidence in the first place.

today was only the second time this season that a Bruins backup has won a game

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Wow that Nyquist high stick was disgusting. Looks like Spurgeon was relatively ok though.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I would actually not be opposed to Sweeney trading for Landeskog or Duchene but I don't think he's savvy enough to pull of an even, much less a favorable, trade. It sounds like the ask is still Carlo, a good prospect, and an early-rounds pick, and I'm not into that even considering Boston's depth with RHD both on the team and in the pipeline. Colin Miller, Krejci, or Spooner and a prospect+pick I could live with, but those don't seem like enough to interest Colorado and/or address their actual needs.

Realistically Boston should be sellers. They have their break, and then a tough west coast trip, and everyone has games in hand on them. Odds are pretty good that the Bruins could find themselves out of the hunt by early March if things don't go their way. But management is dumb so instead we're probably going to trade for one of the aforementioned Avalanche players.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

AsInHowe posted:

The Red Wings have 10 combined goals from Sheahan, Abdelkader, Ericsson, Kronwall, Glendening & DeKeyser.

They are making a total of $21 million this year, out of $79 million, and the Wings have zero available cap space.

Yikes.

Sort of a similar indictment for Boston's forwards: Bergeron, Marchand, and Pastrnak have combined for 63 goals this year. That single line is 40% of Boston's total goals so far.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Aphrodite posted:

It's okay, Pastrnak is on the Krejci line now. Problem solved.

I actually did like him with Krejci and Cehlarik the other night, but then they sent Cehlarik down so I dunno.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Jordan7hm posted:

and that's with Bergeron shooting just shy of 7%

He's finally turning that around. Rough start to the season but he's picked up 7 goals and 20 points in 2017 (19 games).

Aphrodite posted:

It's because Providence has games he can play in during the Bruins 5 day break.

Yeah that's what I figured. Some people seem to think it means the Bruins are clearing a roster spot for a trade though.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

ThinkTank posted:

There have been 10 trades involving players to appear in an NHL game this year, not one of them has involved a player who regularly appears in the lineup. The esteemed list is:

Mike Condon has played like 60% of the Senator's games this year.

I agree with your main point, though.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
lol good for Claude

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Habs fans are going to howl though when he staples your skilled younger guys to the bottom 6 so guys like Shaw can play top 6 minutes.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
ahahaha apparently Geoff Molson personally asked Jeremy Jacobs if he could approach Claude and Sweeney/Neely weren't involved in allowing negotiations at all

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Therrien dumped on Valentines Day so the Habs can get back with their ex

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

why did the Habs need permission

Claude was fired

I believe it has to do with being relieved of duties, meaning he was still under contract with Boston this year and next year.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

The Dirty Burger posted:

1 assist in 29 games this year, why the hell did they even recall him from Bingo

The 2013 draft kind of sucked

Nah, it was pretty good. It's still hard to tell with a lot of these guys too since they're all 21 or 22, still on the edge of prospect territory I'd say.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
the Caps gave up "future considerations" but I still don't see the point of the trade at all

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I thought Sam Morin is the one who sucks rear end and when he got drafted all the panelists had to say was "uhhh, well he's a big kid"

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Flames signed Mark Bartkowski to a 2 way deal, I'm hoping it's as insurance policy so they can trade Wideman and call up Andersson or Kylington.

gently caress Dennis Wideman.

Don't hold your breath. Matt Bartkowski is so terrible that you couldn't even remember his name.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Bartkowski is, on a good day, a viable 7th defenseman. That is the nicest thing I'll say about him.

I remember he got in a fight with Foligno when he was on the Bruins (not even the good Foligno) and he got his rear end beat.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

mennoknight posted:

To summarize: jankowski rules, wideman is maybe the worst skater in today's NHL, Feaster was a genius who was fat

Wrong, maybe, wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

T-Bone posted:

Is that really next year? Christ it's time for a :911: already:

Gaudreau-Eichel-Kane
JVR-Matthews-Kessel
Foligno-Kesler-Atkinson
Pacioretty-Pavelski-Wheeler
Oshie/Stepan

McDonagh-Byfuglien
Suter-Shattenkirk
Carlson-Jones
Werenski

Schneider
Gibson
Quick

of course Buff won't make it.

Saad instead of Foligno IMO. I'd like Trocheck to make it too but USA is just stacked at center nowadays. I also can't see them leaving Parise behind even if he doesn't really deserve to be there at this point of his career.

• Locked thread